Royal Ballet - The Nutcracker, 2020

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst not planning any London trips until after I’ve had my vaccinations, it’s been great as an outsider to see all the booking excitement. I shall enjoy tonight’s Insight and am delighted we can all see a glimpse of Anna-Rose O’Sullivan’s Sugar Plum Fairy and then the live-streaming. Wishing everyone attending performances in the theatre fabulous Nutcrackers.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Whilst not planning any London trips until after I’ve had my vaccinations, it’s been great as an outsider to see all the booking excitement. I shall enjoy tonight’s Insight and am delighted we can all see a glimpse of Anna-Rose O’Sullivan’s Sugar Plum Fairy and then the live-streaming. Wishing everyone attending performances in the theatre fabulous Nutcrackers.

Excitement!? I’ve pulled all my hair out and need a new laptop after this morning!! 🤣

• Like 5

3 hours ago, oncnp said:

You should be able to go to your account and it should show up under "Events"

nope unfortunately not! For the performance it says ‘The Nutcracker Groups’ rather than just ‘The Nutcracker’ so I’m presuming they are using a slightly different system. Maybe more dynamic seating?

Interesting to see Corrales is going straight to doing the Prince without doing Hans-Peter first, especially as I can imagine him more as the latter than the former. All the real-life partnerships seem to have been split up apart from Hayward & Corrales. Is Pajdak the oldest Clara debutante on record? (Not that I can go to any of these performances. I'm just looking at the casts with tantalised curiosity!)

• Like 1

I echo John S sentiments in his post as decided can’t do ROH until  a bit more choice with seats and the vaccination is tantalisingly close now ( I’ve heard my age group before end of Jan!) but like to see what others are going to 😬😊

Would love to see Hayward and Corrales cast and O Sullivan Hay cast but lovely for new young dancers like Maede and Dixon. 

Rob S your post made me laugh out loud ...again! 

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Interesting to see Corrales is going straight to doing the Prince without doing Hans-Peter first, especially as I can imagine him more as the latter than the former. 

Cesar Corrales danced The Prince with ENB - one year as the opening night cast (with Shiori Kase, I think).

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Cesar Corrales danced The Prince with ENB - one year as the opening night cast (with Shiori Kase, I think).

Had he previously done whatever ENB's equivalent is to Hans-Peter? Or, as I've not seen the ENB production, maybe they combine the Prince & Nephew roles like BRB do?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Had he previously done whatever ENB's equivalent is to Hans-Peter? Or, as I've not seen the ENB production, maybe they combine the Prince & Nephew roles like BRB do?

ENB has a separate Nutcracker character which can be confusing for the audience. Elsewhere, with the same production, the two roles are combined to make a busy night for the leading man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I answered my own question by checking Corrales' bio on the ROH website which lists the Nephew among his ENB roles, so he evidently has done the Nephew to Prince progression but at ENB rather than the RB.

The Nephew/Prince is the same person with ENB. He appears at the party and Clara is smitten. The Nutcracker, a separate role, is more equivalent to the RB's Hans Peter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, capybara said:

The Nephew/Prince is the same person with ENB. He appears at the party and Clara is smitten. The Nutcracker, a separate role, is more equivalent to the RB's Hans Peter.

I evidently need to see ENB's production to de-confuse myself! Not that I can this year though.

18 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

unsurprisingly, the 'sold out' shutters have come down on tickets for the Nutcracker in Covent Garden.

And as that took <12 hours (and probably less than that) maybe they'll announce the streaming they've promised now? Or will they try to shoehorn in another performace or two?

Edited by oncnp

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

Doubtful given that dancers, too, deserve a Christmas breather.

Agreed but not stopping the ENB ( 19 shows in 18 days with a smaller company v 17/24 for RB). Don't know how the length and complexity of the performances differ as RB has not published length of the new Nut as yet. 

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Agreed but not stopping the ENB ( 19 shows in 18 days with a smaller company v 17/24 for RB). Don't know how the length and complexity of the performances differ as RB has not published length of the new Nut as yet. 

ENB Nutcracker Delights is 75mins no interval

RB is 120 mins with an interval I believe 

3 hours ago, oncnp said:

ENB has always 'maxed out' on its Nutcrackers. They have two shows on many days whereas the RB only has one.

That sounds quite likely.

Oncnp has posted a long message about the ROH's Christmas offerings which I think deserves its own thread (click the arrow at top right in the quotation below), but I reproduce the Nutcracker-related part below:

53 minutes ago, oncnp said:

ROH has announced Christmas/Holiday offerings....and no mention of streaming this year's Nutcracker

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-unveils-biggest-programme-of-streamed-ballet-and-opera-in-its-history-just-in-time-for-christmas

Ballet edit: (sorry about the spacing)

Our programme of online broadcasts, available via the ROH website

--  Frederick Ashton’s Enigma Variations (2019),

-        Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (2017).

Hmm.  Although the online broadcasts it refers to are pre-recorded ones, not a livestream.  I'm not sure whether there are any implications to that.

1 hour ago, Peony said:

My seat numbers have now appeared in my account so I wonder if they are trying a more dynamic system to maximise numbers 

You may be right because all sorts of tickets (Including group tickets for every performance) are now appearing on the website

Edited by oncnp

3 hours ago, alison said:

Hmm.  Although the online broadcasts it refers to are pre-recorded ones, not a livestream.  I'm not sure whether there are any implications to that.

I’m still hoping that a live streaming decision on Nutcracker hasn’t yet been taken and there remains a chance that one will get the go ahead. 22 December still shows cameras. I must stress this is my hope - I have no information and had rather thought from previous posts that a live streaming had been officially announced although I’ve not seen anything.

5 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’m still hoping that a live streaming decision on Nutcracker hasn’t yet been taken and there remains a chance that one will get the go ahead. 22 December still shows cameras. I must stress this is my hope - I have no information and had rather thought from previous posts that a live streaming had been officially announced although I’ve not seen anything.

Watch the BRB streaming on 18th December.  It's a truly magnificent production!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Watch the BRB streaming on 18th December.  It's a truly magnificent production!

Yes very exciting but would be such a treat to see this cast streamed - why else would it be saying filming on the website I wonder? praying for a late announcement..