Royal Ballet - The Nutcracker, 2020

Just received a response from the ROH  Box Office advising that for anyone buying tickets this week:-

"I am afraid that due to the added complications of the lockdown period, we are not yet in a position to announce casting for upcoming performances of The Nutcracker. We hope to be able to announce in the coming weeks and apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Bit disappointed, I do like to pick.

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet - The Nutcracker
  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Just received a response from the ROH  Box Office advising that for anyone buying tickets this week:-

"I am afraid that due to the added complications of the lockdown period, we are not yet in a position to announce casting for upcoming performances of The Nutcracker. We hope to be able to announce in the coming weeks and apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Bit disappointed, I do like to pick.

Frankly I’d be happy to see anything live at the moment !

• Like 4

Nutcracker - GONE!!!! 😞

Well, it's gone for the moment anyway, as I was just looking to check dates and to see if casting released (and from post above, this seems unlikely anyway). I'm just hoping the page missing as they are adding updates to it....

• Like 1

Just now, zxDaveM said:

Nutcracker - GONE!!!! 😞

Well, it's gone for the moment anyway, as I was just looking to check dates and to see if casting released (and from post above, this seems unlikely anyway). I'm just hoping the page missing as they are adding updates to it....

Just saw that as well - they had added a group bookings option earlier this morning so hopefully just tweaking the page.....

12 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Nutcracker - GONE!!!! 😞

It's back - for the moment

And booking opens for some levels of Friends tomorrow.............

Theatre-focused websites seem to be saying that, in Tiers 1 and 2, shows will be able to resume and the weight of opinion is that London will be in Tier 2. So maybe there will be three Nutcrackers after all.

I'm not sure where other cities sit within the Tiers.

21 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Looks like the performance on the 22nd Dec is to be streamed - it is now marked as 'cameras filming'. Either that, or a cinema showing (which seems less likely as the cinemas showing the 2016 performance)

It has been marked that way for (at least) a week and possibly longer (who looks all the way down there? Except me of course 😀). I really hope you are right. I would love it to be a stream but it could be just their backup streaming plan in case they got/get canceled.  London expected to be Tier 2 but no announcement yet. 

Edited by oncnp

13 minutes ago, alison said:

Didn't I see somewhere that Francesca Hayward was scheduled for this year's "cinema screening" (or whatever it turns out to be)?

The "What's On" section of the ROH website still shows the 2016 Nutcracker being in the cinema from 10 Dec (if there are any cinemas open). Don't know who was in it but perhaps that's what your thinking of? 

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

It has been marked that way for (at least) a week and possibly longer (who looks all the way down there? Except me of course 😀). I really hope you are right. I would love it to be a stream but it could be just their backup streaming plan in case they got/get canceled.  London expected to be Tier 2 but no announcement yet. 

ha! - I hadn't noticed! 🙂

I'm pretty sure it is to be streamed regardless (paid for or free, I couldn't say) - lets hope it's in addition to performances with punters, rather than as an alternative backup plan 'b'

1 hour ago, alison said:

Didn't I see somewhere that Francesca Hayward was scheduled for this year's "cinema screening" (or whatever it turns out to be)?

I think this is the screening which featured Francesca Hayward as Clara (and Lauren Cuthbertson as sugarplum fairy).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

ha! - I hadn't noticed! 🙂

I'm pretty sure it is to be streamed regardless (paid for or free, I couldn't say) - lets hope it's in addition to performances with punters, rather than as an alternative backup plan 'b'

Unfortunately not all camera filming is for UK public consumption.

5 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Unfortunately not all camera filming is for UK public consumption.

They film every performance I believe, for the archives. But when they announce 'cameras filming' on the website, this implies that cameras may be in your sightlines, or more relevantly, you may be filmed in the audience. So when announced like that, it's either for cinema, for the BBC, or in these times, streaming, rather than just archives. At least, that's my experinece of it. When there are cameras in to film for say Japanese TV, they don't usually announce it on the site

10 hours ago, alison said:

Surely they do?  I could have sworn we'd noticed "camera" notices next to Takada and/or Hirano casting information from time to time.

I may be wrong on that detail, but generally speaking, if 'cameras' announced, it going public (eventually) somewhere 🙂

6 minutes ago, prs59 said:

hi for those able to book already, I see there are two selections: single/pairs & group. Does anyone know if groups are 3 or more? Thanks 

Click "Buy Group Ticket" then "Select Area" and it will give you options for groups of 3-6 seats - stalls and amphi only 

Edited by oncnp

Is there a limit to the number to tickets/performances you can buy? The note on the website says you can buy a maximum of 6 seats but coming straight after the descripton of how the seats are set our that seems to be sound like 6 is the biggest size of your group. A friend has only been able to book two tickets and can't buy more for any other performance

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

Is there a limit to the number to tickets/performances you can buy? The note on the website says you can buy a maximum of 6 seats but coming straight after the descripton of how the seats are set our that seems to be sound like 6 is the biggest size of your group. A friend has only been able to book two tickets and can't buy more for any other performance

I had that problem too. I got 2 tickets for the rehearsal which is the limit. I then booked 2 for Friday the 11th and that was it, when I looked again on different dates it said I had reached my limit but the info page said we can buy up to 6. Emailed Box Office but no reply so far.

19 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I may be wrong on that detail, but generally speaking, if 'cameras' announced, it going public (eventually) somewhere 🙂

Nutcracker streaming confirmed by ROH on IG. 😁

5 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

London to be Tier 2 so Nutcrackers there can go ahead subject to 1000 limit....

and ROH should be able to release more seats?  I am assuming the original ticket allocation was for more socially distanced numbers than the new limit of 1,000 which is 45%?

5 minutes ago, FionaE said:

and ROH should be able to release more seats?  I am assuming the original ticket allocation was for more socially distanced numbers than the new limit of 1,000 which is 45%?

I believe, and I'll try to find the source, they only ever planned for 900 or so. Since all the seating maps are done I would doubt they'd increase the number. 

Edited by oncnp

Just now, oncnp said:

I believe, and I'll try to find the source, the they only ever planned for 900 or so. Since all the seating maps are done I would doubt they'd increase the number. 

thank you for clarification!

Very excited here ... managed to book a family of 3 for 29/12.  
🤞 that performances go ahead.

New Year’s wishes:

1) that advance casting will return

2) that choosing ones own seats will return 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, FionaE said:

or not, I’d prefer safety first rather than going to the max determined by an arbitrary guideline 

• Like 2