Royal Ballet - The Nutcracker, 2020

36 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’m still hoping that a live streaming decision on Nutcracker hasn’t yet been taken and there remains a chance that one will get the go ahead. 22 December still shows cameras. I must stress this is my hope - I have no information and had rather thought from previous posts that a live streaming had been officially announced although I’ve not seen anything.

There was a comment on the Royal Opera House Instagram page a week or so ago asking if it would be streamed and the reply was positive. I think that's the closest there's been to an announcement. Sounds promising but it's always possible this reply came before details were worked through.

I also recommend watching the BRB streaming, but I'm greedy enough to be crossing fingers for a streaming of the wonderful cast on the filmed ROH performance too!

• Like 1

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, balletyas said:

Yes very exciting but would be such a treat to see this cast streamed - why else would it be saying filming on the website I wonder? praying for a late announcement.. 

Damned with faint praise.  OK let's get the elephant out in the room - I absolutely loathe SPW's production of the Nutcracker for the Royal Ballet whereas his production for BRB is the best bar none!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Damned with faint praise.  OK let's get the elephant out in the room - I absolutely loathe SPW's production of the Nutcracker for the Royal Ballet whereas his production for BRB is the best bar none!

Absolutely no damming intended! Just the hasty words of an ROH regular unfamiliar with the BRB dancers or the production...I will look forward to it! 

9 minutes ago, balletyas said:

Absolutely no damming intended! Just the hasty words of an ROH regular unfamiliar with the BRB dancers or the production...I will look forward to it! 

I don't know how it will have been translated to the much smaller stage at the Birmingham Rep but it's a gorgeous production and the cast is top notch.

43 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I agree that SPW’s Birmingham production is the best available here by far. However, the adaptation for the RAH does not ‘do it’ for me at all. Unfortunately, that is the version BRB will be streaming/filming on the 18th December.

But I have still bought a ticket to view at my leisure because I want to support the company.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I loved his initial RB version in 1985...thank goodness that we still have that DVD with Collier/Dowell! I loved the pale tone of the diverts...a real unity of design. I loved the purity of the RJWiley Stepanov-note reconstructed passages. That remains my gold standard production of Nut, anywhere on earth...but it no longer exists. (I love how Berlin incorporates the original Imperial designs...but the steps are NOT the 1892 ones.)

I also love SPW’s 1990s version for the BRB. It was more modern & painterly design...and the interjection of Clara in the diverts makes sense, as this was no attempt to recreate the Imperial Mariinsky version.

Then things got muddled...

My problem came around 2000 when SPW “mucked up” the Snow Scene and all of A2 with over-participation of Clara & the Nephew...AND the gorgeous A2 “White Kingdom” design was darkened, with too much color and trees in the background. Darker colors on the costumes...no Major Domo...no pulling of Sugar Plum Fairy across the stage on a piece of silk. It’s almost as if SPW chose to remove &replace the bits that were researched by RJWiley. 

Don't get me wrong. I still love the RB production, especially A1’s rich details. Also, I love seeing new dancers in the leading roles.

Edited by Jeannette

I’m very much looking forward to BRB’s live streaming given what’s been said in recent posts and also last year when I didn’t quite make a trip to Birmingham but at least got found to checking tickets/trains etc. I have to say I find the Royal Ballet’s Nutcracker fabulous because it is so very much Clara’s ballet and the ending, with Clara’s recognition of what has happened, has for so many years marked the start of Christmas.

• Like 2

Yes, I love both SPW versions for different reasons, but there is something I find very satisfying about the narrative in the RB version. Especially in contrast to some of the other versions I've seen. As an example, I just watched the San Francisco Ballet version on DVD for the first time and couldn't quite work out why the sugar plum fairy danced with the flowers (like the Rose Fairy in the RB version) and Clara transformed into a third ballerina for the grand pas de deux. Perhaps this is an extreme example, but the RB story seems very neat in comparison!

• Like 3

On 05/12/2020 at 09:36, capybara said:

I agree that SPW’s Birmingham production is the best available here by far. However, the adaptation for the RAH does not ‘do it’ for me at all. Unfortunately, that is the version BRB will be streaming/filming on the 18th December.

But I have still bought a ticket to view at my leisure because I want to support the company.

I hope I’m proven wrong but my reading of BRB website is that either I can buy a ticket to see the live stream on 18/12 or I can buy a ticket to watch on demand for a period of three consecutive days between 19/12 and 24/12 that kicks in from my first viewing. Buying a ticket for the live stream on 18/12 wouldn’t appear to allow me to watch again on demand. As I say, I hope I’m wrong.

26 minutes ago, prs59 said:

I hope I’m proven wrong but my reading of BRB website is that either I can buy a ticket to see the live stream on 18/12 or I can buy a ticket to watch on demand for a period of three consecutive days between 19/12 and 24/12 that kicks in from my first viewing. Buying a ticket for the live stream on 18/12 wouldn’t appear to allow me to watch again on demand. As I say, I hope I’m wrong.

That's my interpretation too.

• Like 1

The ROH has posted the running times. Claire Calvert said on IG this AM there had been "a few cuts and changes "

Approximate running times: 
Act I: 45 minutes
Interval: 30 minutes
Act II: 40 minutes
Edited by oncnp

20 minutes ago, alison said:

What does one do in a 30-minute interval in these circumstances (apart from taking the children to the loo?)  Are you expected to stay in your seats apart from that?

Last time I was there we were allowed into the Floral Hall provided physical distancing was maintained.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

What does one do in a 30-minute interval in these circumstances (apart from taking the children to the loo?)  Are you expected to stay in your seats apart from that?

Really glad you asked that as I have been wondering that myself. Possibly very long queues for the lavatory!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MJW said:

Really glad you asked that as I have been wondering that myself. Possibly very long queues for the lavatory!

can you still order drinks via the app? With reduced capacity there would be plenty of room to spread out

14 minutes ago, Peony said:

can you still order drinks via the app? With reduced capacity there would be plenty of room to spread out

Website says catering still closed but that could change before Friday. They could certainly use the revenue.

Edited by oncnp

57 minutes ago, Peony said:

Re catering arrangements, the following was in a recent Friends' email:

"We are delighted to announce that the Piazza Terrace and Restaurant will be open around December performances. There are two and three-course menus from which to choose. We are also offering a children's menu, featuring such delights as potato gnocchi and vanilla cheesecake. Watch out for the email to ticket holders that will be sent next week. We encourage you to book quickly as we have limited capacity. Sadly due to Covid restrictions, we are unable to provide services in any of our other bars or restaurants."

However there's no mention of ordering drinks via the app.  Presumably it won't be possible if the bars are closed.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Re: streaming

I e-mailed the Box Office (asking to be put out of my misery)  and the lovely gentleman, who must have the most thankless job at the ROH replied

Hopefully your misery will end this week!

Stay tuned...

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

Re catering arrangements, the following was in a recent Friends' email:

"We are delighted to announce that the Piazza Terrace and Restaurant will be open around December performances. There are two and three-course menus from which to choose. We are also offering a children's menu, featuring such delights as potato gnocchi and vanilla cheesecake. Watch out for the email to ticket holders that will be sent next week. We encourage you to book quickly as we have limited capacity. Sadly due to Covid restrictions, we are unable to provide services in any of our other bars or restaurants."

However there's no mention of ordering drinks via the app.  Presumably it won't be possible if the bars are closed.

thanks very much for the info! I think everyone else must have very sophisticated children who like gnocchi etc. Mine is definitely more chicken nuggets and chips...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, oncnp said:

The ROH has posted the running times. Claire Calvert said on IG this AM there had been "a few cuts and changes "

Approximate running times: 
Act I: 45 minutes
Interval: 30 minutes
Act II: 40 minutes

So apart from the interval which is the same length, they have cut approx 5mins from Act 1, and 10mins from Act 2 (give or take).

Now I'm wondering which bits been chopped (10mins from Act 2 would hint at the Rose Fairy waltz, with all that lifting between lead flowers and cavaliers, and Rose herself.

Utterly idle speculation, I hasten to add!! 🙂

16 minutes ago, oncnp said:

If you are looking for 1 or 2 tickets to virtually any performance many seem to have appeared on the website just now

Well yes - but it seems that the stated availability doesn't necessarily match the actual availability once you try and book (at least for a single ticket - maybe 2s are better). Or at least the info is rather misleading - you may be able to get a single ticket but only at £95/£100!

Edited by bridiem
Removed speculative comment and added explanatory sentence
  • Like 1

I'm starting to wonder whether their poor software isn't capable of blocking out the necessary seats around sold ones (and why should it be?) and the necessary adjustments are having to be made manually (if so, pity the poor operators!).  That would explain the "phased release" of tickets.

18 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm starting to wonder whether their poor software isn't capable of blocking out the necessary seats around sold ones (and why should it be?) and the necessary adjustments are having to be made manually (if so, pity the poor operators!).  That would explain the "phased release" of tickets.

I would have thought they would have known in advance and mapped out every seat they had to sell based on capacity and distancing requirements (which haven't changed). Since the house was sold out within hours are these additional seats being released or a lot of returns?

Edited by oncnp

Maybe they are re-configuring in order to accommodate more groups or something.

Either way, they need to beware of creating an impression of squashing in extra places when that surely cannot be the case.

As to refreshments. I’m really surprised that, when so many of the shows finish around 4.00pm, they are not offering a ‘Christmas Tea’ option.

I wasn't sure quite how the groups worked, and whether they'd blocked them all out e.g. as groups of 6, and were adjusting them downwards if people didn't want that many, hence more singles and doubles coming online.  I'm sure they'll all be appropriately distanced.