Royal Ballet - The Nutcracker, 2020

1 hour ago, alison said:

I wasn't sure quite how the groups worked, and whether they'd blocked them all out e.g. as groups of 6, and were adjusting them downwards if people didn't want that many, hence more singles and doubles coming online.  I'm sure they'll all be appropriately distanced.

they had fixed options of groups between 3 and 6. So it’s not immediately clear why the seating plan wouldn’t be pre-planned. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

So apart from the interval which is the same length, they have cut approx 5mins from Act 1, and 10mins from Act 2 (give or take).

Now I'm wondering which bits been chopped (10mins from Act 2 would hint at the Rose Fairy waltz, with all that lifting between lead flowers and cavaliers, and Rose herself.

Utterly idle speculation, I hasten to add!! 🙂

Perhaps they’ve increased the tempo of the music so that the dancers spend less time in proximity to one another? 🤔 

• Like 1

The cast sheet for tonight’s General Rehearsal is now online. Judging by the listed characters, it looks as though the Spanish and Arabian dances are out. Not sure about what’s gone from Act 1... we don’t seem to have a Dancing Mistress for a start.

4 minutes ago, alison said:

It looks like a broken link to me? (or rather, to Firefox)

worked for me but you could try this

https://static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/the-nutcracker/9.12.2020-General-Rehearsal.pdf?_ga=2.74274448.381025226.1607514143-1119512731.1336322712

or the main cast sheet page    https://www.roh.org.uk/about/cast-sheets

Edited by oncnp

54 minutes ago, RuthE said:

The cast sheet for tonight’s General Rehearsal is now online. Judging by the listed characters, it looks as though the Spanish and Arabian dances are out. Not sure about what’s gone from Act 1... we don’t seem to have a Dancing Mistress for a start.

and the "main" cast seems to be mix & match - not the cast listed to dance together during the run. Could also just be Kevin O'Hare giving  Fumi  Kaneko/Wm Bracewell another show as they only have one at the moment. 

Edited by oncnp

On 07/12/2020 at 11:48, Peony said:

thanks very much for the info! I think everyone else must have very sophisticated children who like gnocchi etc. Mine is definitely more chicken nuggets and chips...

They are also serving "Plaice goujons and chips" for the kids....

It did feel safe at the ROH today. And lovely to encounter some regular audience members.

Spoiler alert........
The mother subs. for the Dancing Mistress.

Far fewer people on stage in many scenes. Corps dancers in the fight in place of children. Fritz doesn’t ‘fly’.

I can understand the loss of The Arabian Dance but not sure why the Spanish had to go too.

Fingers crossed that all shows can go ahead. The Covent Garden area generally wasn’t very populated tonight.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

. I'm not aware this has actually been conveyed to potential audiences yet …..

Not by the ROH at least. They keep saying "stay tuned" and "soon"

16 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I have just this moment received an email confirming it! 7pm on Dec 22nd

Here's the link https://stream.roh.org.uk/products/the-nutcracker-4

or near the bottom of the "What's On" page

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/the-royal-ballets-spectacular-nutcracker-to-be-streamed-on-22-december-2020

Edited by oncnp

9 hours ago, Peony said:

For those who have already been how full was the auditorium?

I think that the official number was 840 compared with around 2,200.

My first attempt to upload a photo! How does something which is the right way up on one’s phone end up on it’s side 🙃???

D4133DC5-6FE1-4A26-A6B1-6BBE18F44D11.jpeg

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 23:57, Peony said:

For those who have already been how full was the auditorium?

Only alternate rows are occupied. So in the amphi, it's row A, C, E etc that are used. B, D etc are completely empty. In the rows that are occupied there are two empty seats between each group.  The boxes seem to be occupied as normal though - I couldn't be sure. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Enjoy your live Nutcrackers in the UK!

or not. It is being reported that London may go to Tier 3 today.  The RB may get another performance or 2 in but the ENB looks to be losing the entire run.