Royal Ballet - The Nutcracker, 2020

6 minutes ago, oncnp said:

or not. It is being reported that London may go to Tier 3 today.  The RB may get another performance or 2 in but the ENB looks to be losing the entire run. 

I’m afraid it’s all starting to look rather ominous. The Health Secretary is to make a statement this afternoon 🤞

• Like 1

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

or not. It is being reported that London may go to Tier 3 today.  The RB may get another performance or 2 in but the ENB looks to be losing the entire run. 

Say WHAAAT? Oh no.  🤦‍♀️  So many promising new casts preparing... 

• Like 2

It has been reported that London will move into Tier 3 at one minute past midnight on Wednesday.  Lucky people who have Nutcracker tickets before then.  Enjoy. I'm sure the rest of us and the Company and all those associated with it will very much look forward to the relay on 22nd December.   Perhaps too ENB will now arrange a relay of its Nutcracker.  I'd certainly be happy to pay to watch that as well.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

London going to Tier 3 on Wednesday.    This is just getting beyond ridiculous now.  As far as this forum’s subject matter is concerned, I feel so desperately sad for all the dancers and staff who have been working so hard for months to ensure that they comply with the draconian Covid rules so that we could have some artistic happiness at Christmas after this dire year...just for it all to be snatched away just as things were starting to move.  I know they are devastated, and so am I.  

• Like 6

The Christmas "grace period" 23-27 Dec is apparently not affected. I can't remember what those rules were but perhaps those performances can go ahead? 

10 minutes ago, Peony said:

The Christmas period is just your Christmas bubble isn’t it? Rather than businesses

Rats! You're right. 

So the RB gets one more performance (4 out of 17) and the ENB has to cancel them all. 

Edited by oncnp

8 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Rats! You're right. 

So the RB gets one more performance (4 out of 17) and the ENB has to cancel them all. 

It’s outrageous.  Maybe they will deign to loosen their grip on our lives before the end of the year so we can get a few more.  Once again the dancers working so hard to make debuts are being kicked in the stomach.  

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Can the dancers still rehearse in Tier 3?

They did before so hopefully can continue

I've seen no data on this but theatres have to be one of the safest places around with all the checks and distancing, Don't suppose they could make an exception?

Edited by oncnp

3 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Can the dancers still rehearse in Tier 3?

They did in lockdown. But rehearsing for what?

Especially hard for the debutantes, including some unannounced except by the individuals themselves -  like Leticia Dias, an Artist due to Dance the Rose Fairy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zxDaveM said:

fingers, toes, knees, hip joints all crossed for the relay on the 22nd...

Should be OK as long as there is no non-RB audience. 

10 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

so tier 3 it is from Wed 00.01am (I assume Tuesday evening show will still be ok - yes?). And then we can all go Christmas loopy again from the 23rd to 27th, then back to tier 3 (probably)...

Bah humbug!

We don’t go out of Tier 3, Dave. The bubbles are a concession within the Tiers.

Now we have a new variant of the virus circulating as well. I 

Edited by capybara

It's so sickening.  The companies have leapt through every single hoop the government has put in their way, revised all their working practices, tried to think outside the box so they can do something, anything to keep being relevant during all this, and now this :(  I feel so sorry for them, and for everyone else who actually dared to think that they might actually be able to earn some money/keep their business in operation in the run-up to Christmas :(  I know it's necessary, but ...

• Like 10

But it's not the theatre itself is it - it's the getting there and back...

Having seen photographs on the internet over the past few days I am not surprised.  People were crammed into Oxford Street and around Knightsbridge and Covent Garden as though it was a normal Saturday in December.  I didn't see too many of them wearing masks in the photographs despite the crowding.

The Liverpool Echo published a full list of how Covid19 is affecting the whole of England and it is salutary reading for the South East.  The tougher restrictions in the Liverpool City Region have helped this area Covid-wise, unpalatable though they were.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/covid-cases-england-surge-full-19452299

I fell desperately sorry for the dancers who have been working so hard and desperately sorry for the people who will now miss their fix of live ballet but surely it is better safe than sorry. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

so tier 3 it is from Wed 00.01am (I assume Tuesday evening show will still be ok - yes?). And then we can all go Christmas loopy again from the 23rd to 27th, then back to tier 3 (probably)...

Bah humbug!

Next review will be on the 23rd - they are going to weekly review v. q 2 weeks

Just now, Jan McNulty said:

There must be grave concerns because the review has been brought forward from 16th.

I think "exploding" was one of the terms used. 

Elite sports are allowed in tier 3 so I think they should be able to rehearse. 
I hadn’t got my hopes up too high but I’m still so disappointed, on a personal level and for the company. I think there might be an old nutcracker on at the cinema soon that will have to do!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peony said:

I think there might be an old nutcracker on at the cinema soon that will have to do!

Won't the cinemas have to close as well? (indoor entertainment?)

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

The Christmas "grace period" 23-27 Dec is apparently not affected. I can't remember what those rules were but perhaps those performances can go ahead? 

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

They did before so hopefully can continue

I've seen no data on this but theatres have to be one of the safest places around with all the checks and distancing, Don't suppose they could make an exception?

Starting to wonder how they can possibly allow the Christmas grace period - it's only going to make matters worse than they are now.

Agree that to some extent theatres should be given some grace. Can't speak for the Coliseum, but generally feel very safe at the ROH with the majority of people complying properly i.e. mask over mouth AND nose - uncomfortable for all of us especially glasses wearers, but for the greater good. On that note, felt compelled to report a local shop today for complete disregard of mask wearing rules.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rob S said:

Just seen shops will remain open, so the pics of very busy Oxford/Regent Street can continue

What a farce.  I'm am sure that theatres and restaurants have far more measures in place to make them safe.  How does keeping non-essential shops open help?  It will just continue to encourage the Christmas shoppers!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Just seen shops will remain open, so the pics of very busy Oxford/Regent Street can continue

What is the point of this new lock down then? I have read in several places that the most effective way to combat the virus is to wear face masks when we are out and about, maintain a 2m distance from everyone else, and wash our hands regularly.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, that is what they've been telling us for the last 6 months or so ...  Just appears that some (quite a lot of) people have comprehension issues.

Indeed.  It is not difficult to comply, people just don't think the rules apply to them.  I was working in Hampstead over the weekend, and nobody seemed to be obeying the 2m rule.  I had to step into the road repeatedly to avoid coming too close, especially as there were so many couples or families walking two, three or even four abreast. 😠

• Like 2