White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, InOverOurHeads said:

Well done to all those offered finals, an amazing achievement.  Sorry for the not yet - hope your DC are ok.

Just wondered if anyone knows what will happen to those that just applied for MA.  I'm wondering if my DD will be at a disadvantage as we only applied for MA.  For various reasons we decided against applying for full time training.  My DD was SWL for Year 6 last year, but nothing came of it.  I'm now kicking myself why didn't we just apply for both.  Does anyone think MA applicants will get called for associate finals??  Is that even a thing? Will those that go to WL finals be more likely to get offered MA over those that just applied for MA.  I really feel like we didn't think this through properly and have put her at a disadvantage. 

I know of a few girls who only applied for MAs last year and were offered places - it just meant waiting quite a bit longer for the results. 

• Like 1

I shouldn't worry @InOverOurHeads. Over the years both in real life and on this forum I have come across many children who have got MA places without applying for WL. And also those who have got to WL finals and not been offered an MA place. It is yet another of those ballet situations where you can really tie yourself in knots and get very stressed trying to second guess things and work out "the system". It is easier said than done of course but I think if is better not to overthink these things because you can't really influence them.

Also bear in mind that some children who are offered MAs will take up places at other vocational schools and turn down their MA place so there's often movement on the waiting list as people make final decisions about year 7.

Good luck to your DD.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Try clicking on the words that say “ this link” as that’s what was underlined in blue on mine xx 

Hope we get confirmation of the audition slot soon to make arrangements. Worried if dc will go back to school on the 8th they might catch some sort of cold right before the audition. 

1 minute ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hope we get confirmation of the audition slot soon to make arrangements. Worried if dc will go back to school on the 8th they might catch some sort of cold right before the audition. 

I’ve had this thought too and tempted to keep him off that week until audition 🙈

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

I’ve had this thought too and tempted to keep him off that week until audition 🙈

That’s a good idea, schools here are starting back next week but only foundation phase. I’m not sure when other years are starting back. 

29 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

What is everyone doing for the lateral flow testing? It appears our LA don’t do free testing for anyone other than workplaces with 50+ staff. Do others? 

Good question! Neither do our LA. I emailed our council's Covid query page yesterday and they suggested I ask my DCs LA school (teachers are currently self testing in primaries here so they do have test kits on site). I'll have to wait till after half term to ask. Oddly you can't buy them at pharmacies, just the much more expensive PCR tests which need to go off to a lab...yet another headache to sort!! Good luck finding a solution...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Good question! Neither do our LA. I emailed our council's Covid query page yesterday and they suggested I ask my DCs LA school (teachers are currently self testing in primaries here so they do have test kits on site). I'll have to wait till after half term to ask. Oddly you can't buy them at pharmacies, just the much more expensive PCR tests which need to go off to a lab...yet another headache to sort!! Good luck finding a solution...

Are RBS accepting LFT?  The intensives want PCR (as need certificate - not given with LFT)... and the testing needs to happen over Easter weekend - which is quite unlikely to be possible. 🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

What is everyone doing for the lateral flow testing? It appears our LA don’t do free testing for anyone other than workplaces with 50+ staff. Do others? 

I think I booked mine but seemed too easy to be true just put the name and my email, they did not ask for anything else. I booked it for the 10th of March. Did you put your postcode on this link? 

https://www.gov.uk/find-covid-19-lateral-flow-test-site

they might decide to accept those for Spring intensive. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

Are RBS accepting LFT?  The intensives want PCR (as need certificate - not given with LFT)... and the testing needs to happen over Easter weekend - which is quite unlikely to be possible. 🤪

Yes that was my confusion. I don’t know enough about the tests but didn’t think the LFT came with proof (as in they tend to be done in a workplace and you see results there and then) but wasn’t sure. 

@Lara Eschler, yep, went via gov.uk too - unfortunately ours only offer to employers with 50+ staff, so I’m guessing no LF test sites here yet. I know our schools under this LA aren’t testing either (they opted not to). :( 

Will need to find a way to get one. Or ask if a paid for PCR test will be ok. 

1 hour ago, Lara Eschler said:

I think I booked mine but seemed too easy to be true just put the name and my email, they did not ask for anything else. I booked it for the 10th of March. Did you put your postcode on this link? 

https://www.gov.uk/find-covid-19-lateral-flow-test-site

they might decide to accept those for Spring intensive. 

Thanks for that @Lara Eschler but that's how I found out that our LA doesn't do them 'yet', unfortunately. My LA's reply to me helpfully said that they were looking into setting up asymptomatic testing more widely in the 'next few weeks'! Argh! 😬 I will just have to impress on the school how important this is for DSs educational progress... or maybe email RBS and ask them what to do ..although I suspect they'd ask for a PCR test as an alternative, which is very expensive! Just more things to think about! Just gotta keep focussed on the main reason I'm doing any of this!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Thanks for that @Lara Eschler but that's how I found out that our LA doesn't do them 'yet', unfortunately. My LA's reply to me helpfully said that they were looking into setting up asymptomatic testing more widely in the 'next few weeks'! Argh! 😬 I will just have to impress on the school how important this is for DSs educational progress... or maybe email RBS and ask them what to do ..although I suspect they'd ask for a PCR test as an alternative, which is very expensive! Just more things to think about! Just gotta keep focussed on the main reason I'm doing any of this!

I don’t know if this will work but a friend has said they can get one for me as they have to test regularly for work anyway. I’ve been told you take the test at home then input the test result to the website, along with your DCs NHS number etc and you get an email and text back to use as proof (sounds quite iffy!?!) 🤔

Does anyone know if this sounds correct? Is that the process the schools/workplaces use? 

If so, it looks like the school should be able to help you @TwirlyWhirly - fingers crossed! 

37 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

I am stressing about this as well!  We have community Lateral Flow Testing however I have looked into it and you have to be over 16 to have a test.  I have emailed the local LA to ask if they would consider testing my DD so hopefully I will get a response soon.    I don’t understand how we will be able to provide evidence though do you get an email result or something my eldest has these regularly at secondary school and you don’t get paperwork to prove the result. 

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I don’t know if this will work but a friend has said they can get one for me as they have to test regularly for work anyway. I’ve been told you take the test at home then input the test result to the website, along with your DCs NHS number etc and you get an email and text back to use as proof (sounds quite iffy!?!) 🤔

Does anyone know if this sounds correct? Is that the process the schools/workplaces use? 

If so, it looks like the school should be able to help you @TwirlyWhirly - fingers crossed! 

Yes, my husband also does them regularly for work, so we’ll be doing it through him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

So not only do we have to be video/ IT experts, but ingenious at sourcing Lateral Flow Tests via any means we can! This year's applications make me feel like I'm a contestant on the Krypton factor!! 🤣

😂😂 I think landing the plane would be easier than this xx

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

So not only do we have to be video/ IT experts, but ingenious at sourcing Lateral Flow Tests via any means we can! This year's applications make me feel like I'm a contestant on the Krypton factor!! 🤣

I know, right? It’s crazy! 

Frazzled already and we’ve only applied to one place for DS so you guys are doing fabulously compared to us. 😂 
I very nearly gave up at the video stage. 😳

• Like 1

I mean really RBS should be sending us the Lateral

flow tests. To expect us to pay for one is a bit much. You do the test then input the result into the government website and they text you your result. So in theory you could lie and say it was negative and they text you with a negative result. It’s all a bit dodgy and a lot of trust is involved 

• Like 1

There does seem to be places you can buy them but I was thinking surely taking one at home and inputting the result online sounds really dodgy. So dodgy that I’d probably find out it’s a fake test, fake ‘proof’ and we’d be turned away at the door. I’m definitely going to be having nightmares about this now. 😩🤣

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

flow tests. To expect us to pay for one is a bit much. You do the test then input the result into the government website and they text you your result. So in theory you could lie and say it was negative and they text you with a negative result. It’s all a bit dodgy and a lot of trust is involved 

Yes, that was exactly my thoughts too. Far too dodgy and surely that cannot be right but I’ve had two friends confirm that’s how the tests are done. 🤔 

I guess most areas have centres so you wouldn’t be logging your own results. In our area we don’t have any set up yet (we are always behind the rest of the country for everything) but you have to take a test on entering certain places, like SEN schools, care homes etc. Results are quick so it probably should have been done like that. 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
Spelling mistake

6 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

You have to put in a series of letters and numbers which are on the testing kit when logging your results. I have to test twice a week and each test has different serial numbers for when you log your results each time on the gov website.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

There does seem to be places you can buy them but I was thinking surely taking one at home and inputting the result online sounds really dodgy. So dodgy that I’d probably find out it’s a fake test, fake proof and we’d be turned away at the door. I’m definitely going to be having nightmares about this now. 😩🤣

Who would have thought all those months ago when first applying out biggest nightmare would be a lateral flow test!!! I mean when did they even become a thing 🤷🏼‍♀️😂🙈

• Like 4

With the lateral flow tests you do input your results on the Gov site and you get an email and text confirming the result  They are fairly easy to do but it is worth reading the instructions thoroughly first. The test looks a bit like a pregnancy test kit with a control line and a test line, so if the control cones up the test is working fine. Result in half an hour and then you input the result into the Gov site  I have these tests at home and have to do them regularly for work 

Good luck with the finals everyone x

• Like 3

I daren’t book my DS’s appointment for an LF test yet as it says within 48 hours of the final audition, so I didn’t want to risk booking it for the 10th at say 1pm and then finding out his time slot is the 12th at 3pm or something and it being out of the 48hr period! I did consider booking one for as late as possible on the 10th but if he then gets a morning slot on the 11th it would need to be done earlier as we’d have to travel to London on the evening of the 10th so for us it’s impossible to book until we know his timeslot. Hope we find out soon!

• Like 1