White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

I spoke to them and the the auditions for the boys for year 7 will be on the 12th and they do not have a solution and are not allowed to test children that are not currently their pupils. 

This is becoming a nightmare ! So it’s definitely the 12th for boys? So we have to try and get a PCR test done on the Wednesday with the hope the results are back by Friday morning.... this is ridiculous 

6 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

I spoke to them and the the auditions for the boys for year 7 will be on the 12th and they do not have a solution and are not allowed to test children that are not currently their pupils. 

So now definitely the 12th? I’ve emailed this morning to ask about when we will find out dates and times too. I really hope you can all find a solution to the testing. I re-read the email earlier and it did just seem to suggest that if you can’t get a test you have to decline the audition and they’ll find an alternative means to see those children which will be so disappointing for them! :( I can see it from both sides as RBS’s hands will be tied too.

1 minute ago, The red shoes said:

This is becoming a nightmare ! So it’s definitely the 12th for boys? So we have to try and get a PCR test done on the Wednesday with the hope the results are back by Friday morning.... this is ridiculous 

This is what she told me as I said it would be hard to book a pcr not knowing the audition date and she confirmed it would on the Friday. She is sort suggested to wait as they will raise the issue with the school and maybe let us know. If you book a PCR on the NHS based on having symptoms your whole household would have to isolate until you get results and private pcr are around 100 pounds or above. I would suggest more parents call them to raise the issue. xx

2 minutes ago, Bunny said:

So now definitely the 12th? I’ve emailed this morning to ask about when we will find out dates and times too. I really hope you can all find a solution to the testing. I re-read the email earlier and it did just seem to suggest that if you can’t get a test you have to decline the audition and they’ll find an alternative means to see those children which will be so disappointing for them! :( I can see it from both sides as RBS’s hands will be tied too.

Yes it must be really difficult. However I think the RBS have a pretty good idea of who they want anyway just from the videos tbh. So even if you had to do a zoom audition etc it wouldn’t have a massive impact . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The red shoes said:

Yes it must be really difficult. However I think the RBS have a pretty good idea of who they want anyway just from the videos tbh. So even if you had to do a zoom audition etc it wouldn’t have a massive impact . 

Do you know what I absolutely think the same, especially if your child is already a JA, they will have seen enough of them to know if they want them or not. I suppose the only issue is the physio assessment really for the ones who didn’t have this as a JA or are not JA’s.

On 16/02/2021 at 17:41, TwirlyWhirly said:

Good question! Neither do our LA. I emailed our council's Covid query page yesterday and they suggested I ask my DCs LA school (teachers are currently self testing in primaries here so they do have test kits on site). I'll have to wait till after half term to ask. Oddly you can't buy them at pharmacies, just the much more expensive PCR tests which need to go off to a lab...yet another headache to sort!! Good luck finding 

For any students near South Wales this company will test children using rapid antigen. £85. https://www.theindependentgeneralpractice.co.uk/private/tests/covid-19.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bw-cNFCOvzxIJglc5ZZ0jYjwQEvlcwHPEVN59zMxL0cI9E6EvAVVTkaAtzkEALw_wcB

I don't feel like I can ring the local secondary school and ask them to test someone who doesn't attend their school...x 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

For any students near South Wales this company will test children using rapid antigen. £85. https://www.theindependentgeneralpractice.co.uk/private/tests/covid-19.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bw-cNFCOvzxIJglc5ZZ0jYjwQEvlcwHPEVN59zMxL0cI9E6EvAVVTkaAtzkEALw_wcB

I don't feel like I can ring the local secondary school and ask them to test someone who doesn't attend their school...x 

Thank you for this we are in Devon so this maybe another option for us.  

12 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

It makes me laugh when they suggest we get a LFT from our local secondary school yet they can’t give out tests to non RBS students?? What makes them think our secondary schools will? 

Lol, that is what I told them. 

I am amazed as to what we are putting ourselves through as parents because of the prestige of a name. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Lol, that is what I told them. 

I am amazed as to what we are putting ourselves through as parents because of the prestige of a name. 

This is when you question which school is right. Will they always expect us to jump through hoops? The email from Elmhurst was very different . I never thought the biggest worry of the finals would be sourcing a LFT !!! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Wow this is such a headache! Nothing new to offer but thanks everyone for all the suggestions! And @Weloveballetcongratulations by the way on making it this far! 

Thank you so much! She’s over the moon. Congratulations to everyone else also! It’s going to be a very special day for them to remember and thank goodness we are all on the ball with organising this with plenty of time to sort. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

This is when you question which school is right. Will they always expect us to jump through hoops? The email from Elmhurst was very different . I never thought the biggest worry of the finals would be sourcing a LFT !!! 

I can’t imagine that the other schools will take kids to finals without a negative test either unfortunately. Neither Hammond, Tring or Elmhurst have released all the final details for theirs yet, I’m thinking we will probably have similar issues with them all. I think it’s just the way of things now. Doesn’t make it any less complex for parents to navigate though!

12 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Yes my words exactly 🤣 at the moment it’s my biggest concern which is crazy 

9 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Yes they will inevitably be the same but the way it’s dealt with and is being dealt with is very frustrating 

Of course and I totally accept what you’re saying but I’m not sure there’s another solution except a Zoom final. I think if everybody is struggling to source tests and is contacting WL about it then the final will likely be moved to Zoom anyway just to avoid the stresses. Which will be gutting for the kids. I would rather DS were able to go and visit the school and actually see the place where he is applying to.

Just now, Bunny said:

Of course and I totally accept what you’re saying but I’m not sure there’s another solution except a Zoom final. I think if everybody is struggling to source tests and is contacting WL about it then the final will likely be moved to Zoom anyway just to avoid the stresses. Which will be gutting for the kids. I would rather DS were able to go and visit the school and actually see the place where he is applying to.

And so would I but not all our councils are doing them for under 18’s so RBS need to be fair. I would love my son to go but he can’t if we can’t get hold of an LFT. Just another situation that has Covid to blame yet again ... it’s ruining so many important milestones ☹️

2 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

And so would I but not all our councils are doing them for under 18’s so RBS need to be fair. I would love my son to go but he can’t if we can’t get hold of an LFT. Just another situation that has Covid to blame yet again ... it’s ruining so many important milestones ☹️

Absolutely and it’s such a shame.  They have already missed so much and this is such a big opportunity for them.

1 minute ago, Bunny said:

I am not suggesting that the audition is moved to zoom at all but contacting the school, I think the school should be aware that the vast majority is unable to source the test. I still think that WL should be able to offer on-site testing to those unable to source a test or for those who chose to. This would be outside of the building in a different area and so would not affect the rest of the audition class if a test was positive. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

I am not suggesting that the audition is moved to zoom at all but contacting the school, I think the school should be aware that the vast majority is unable to source the test. I still think that WL should be able to offer on-site testing to those unable to source a test or for those who chose to. This would be outside of the building in a different area and so would not affect the rest of the audition class if a test was positive. 

No, of course not and if you are unable to source a test then of course you’d have to contact RBS and tell them and ask what they suggest. What I’m saying is I think as so many are struggling to obtain a test and informing RBS of this they will have little option but to move the finals online as there’ll be no point holding in person finals with a very small number of children surely. I agree with you about the on site testing completely, hopefully that is what they will come

back with as a last resort but I think if that’s too difficult for them to manage due to staffing issues/time etc then they will likely just move them online.

This is proving such a headache. 

I wonder if RBS would be willing to arrange something with Richmond council that would mean we could book tests there with a letter of invite from the school? (they do already say for those working within the area, I wonder if they’d include educational purposes)
Just spoke to our local council and they are utterly useless and don’t care (saying to register with and order from the NHS...looking into it this doesn’t seem possible unless you work for NHS or a care home etc, plus would be waiting weeks or even months). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I wonder if RBS would be willing to arrange something with Richmond council that would mean we could book tests there with a letter of invite from the school? (they do already say for those working within the area, I wonder if they’d include educational purposes)
Just spoke to our local council and they are utterly useless and don’t care (saying to register with and order from the NHS...looking into it this doesn’t seem possible unless you work for NHS or a care home etc, plus would be waiting weeks or even months). 

I think you could be onto something with that! That would be the best option surely? x

33 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Unfortunately not doable. You need proof of address as ID. I’ve just been on the phone to Richmond council and they can’t cover educational purposes for those outside of the area even with proof of invite (though they are far, far more helpful than my local council - she’ll see if there are any other options and will call me back). 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

2 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Unfortunately not doable. You need proof of address as ID. I’ve just been on the phone to Richmond council and they can’t cover educational purposes for those outside of the area even with proof of invite (though they are far, far more helpful than my local council - she’ll see if there are any other options and will call me back). 

Thank-you for doing all this work! xx

Oh you poor things. I wish I could smuggle you all into the school where I'm on the testing team and do it for you. It really is a very straightforward thing to do and it seems nonsensical that all these hurdles are being put in your way. 

One thing that did occur to me which might help someone is that if your children are at schools which are part of a Multi Academy Trust that has secondary schools within it, you might be able to argue that they are pupils of the same "organisation" and get in that way? I know staff from the primaries that are part of our MAT have been offered tests at the secondary. We've not tested any of their pupils to my knowledge but it might be possible so if you're in that position there's no harm in asking.

Age could still be an issue I suppose, but those who have already turned 11 may be in a stronger position as of course there are secondary pupils being tested at 11. Our year 7s that are still 11 have to be accompanied by a parent when they are tested, whereas pupils 12 -15 don't, as long as we have written parental consent and the child's verbal consent. 16+ can give their own consent. That's what the local Director of Public Health has instructed anyway. 

• Like 1

Phoned 119, again, very helpful but saying the same as others have been told. If the school are inviting people in then they need to be the ones ordering the tests and administering them onsite. Which apparently they can do - there shouldn’t be any barriers to this as it’ll be the same tests their own students and staff use, they just need to order extras. 

Urgh! 

My DS is only 10 and our local secondary schools aren’t testing students, only staff. :( I think it’s going to be Zoom for us (DS will be so deflated with that). 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

16 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Phoned 119, again, very helpful but saying the same as others have been told. If the school are inviting people in then they need to be the ones ordering the tests and administering them onsite. Which apparently they can do - there shouldn’t be any barriers to this as it’ll be the same tests their own students and staff use, they just need to order extras. 

Urgh! 

My DS is only 10 and our local secondary schools aren’t testing students, only staff. :( I think it’s going to be Zoom for us (DS will be so deflated with that). 

Have you rung RBS to quote what you were told by 119 and how they should be testing on site?