White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

As gutting as it would be for it to be on zoom, I know we all desperately want them to experience going there. I do feel it needs to be fair on all applicants and if some areas have no chance of getting the test that puts those children at an unfair disadvantage. I do think it’s important the school knows how difficult this is to sort. So a solution can be found.  There doesn’t seem to be any clear answer. A lot seems dependent on high school discretion. My daughter is not a JA so has not had a physio done by the RBS yet. So I’m not sure how that would work for us. 

Edited by Weloveballet
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Unfortunately not doable. You need proof of address as ID. I’ve just been on the phone to Richmond council and they can’t cover educational purposes for those outside of the area even with proof of invite (though they are far, far more helpful than my local council - she’ll see if there are any other options and will call me back). 

thank you for checking up on this, keep us posted. It’s becoming a right mission isn’t it. 

I agree, it needs to be a level playing field - I don’t envy anyone trying to organise this though. 

Like others have said, if it is proving an issue, please do let them know - the more aware they are of just how difficult this is, the more likely they’ll actively look for an alternative solution (like hopefully getting DofEs, or their equivalent board’s, permission to set up visitor testing onsite for those who can’t test in their local areas - surely they wouldn’t need to wait for a confirmation text to go ahead, just the actual test result itself?) 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
  • Like 1

On 23/10/2020 at 14:09, The red shoes said:

So, please can someone enlighten me on how to put all video sections together?

i don’t want to film in one go so how do I put the videos together if using an iPad for example? Is there a handy App I can use ?

Just to clarify as well it doesn't have to be a lateral flow test. Rbs apparently suggested this as cheaper than other tests. They will accept pcr and rapid antigen but obvious these are more expensive...another question but are hotels going to be open? I'm concerned we will have nowhere to stay and it is too far to drive there and back in a day...I have friends in London but I don't think I can ask to stay there in a pandemic...its all so difficult x 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bunny said:

RBS have emailed me back and confirmed all boys will now be Friday 12th if that helps anyone x

Thanks Bunny. That does help a lot (I forgot to ask that). :) 

This won’t help everyone but the at-home tests might be ok after all. I phoned and apparently it’s the official email you need from NHS or Gov.UK and that you can’t just bring the negative test cassette as proof (which should be obvious). As long as you have the email and it’s within 48hrs, that’s fine. 
I don’t know if you can register the standard at home ones for under16s though so I’m hoping to try one soon, then confirm what we have is suitable proof or not. (I’m also not sure how privately purchased ones work though). 

Tbh I think because it’s all so new, there’s still so much confusion. Maybe they’ve assumed everywhere is doing as London boroughs are. So if you are struggling, do let them know why. 

8 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Thanks Bunny. That does help a lot (I forgot to ask that). :) 

This won’t help everyone but the at-home tests might be ok after all. I phoned and apparently it’s the official email you need from NHS or Gov.UK and that you can’t just bring the negative test cassette as proof (which should be obvious). As long as you have the email and it’s within 48hrs, that’s fine. 
I don’t know if you can register the standard at home ones for under16s though so I’m hoping to try one soon, then confirm what we have is suitable proof or not. (I’m also not sure how privately purchased ones work though). 

Tbh I think because it’s all so new, there’s still so much confusion. Maybe they’ve assumed everywhere is doing as London boroughs are. So if you are struggling, do let them know why. 

thanks for this info, when you say at home ones do you mean ones you can purchase or the ones critical workers are using, I’ve had a friend offer to send me a lateral flow test but it’s one of the ones you record on a form (she’s a healthcare worker) so how would you go about getting an email from the nhs or gov website? I’m so new to all this! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Just to clarify as well it doesn't have to be a lateral flow test. Rbs apparently suggested this as cheaper than other tests. They will accept pcr and rapid antigen but obvious these are more expensive...another question but are hotels going to be open? I'm concerned we will have nowhere to stay and it is too far to drive there and back in a day...I have friends in London but I don't think I can ask to stay there in a pandemic...its all so difficult x 

Thanks for confirming this.  I just want to fully understand all the options so I cover all bases.  X

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Weloveballet said:

thanks for this info, when you say at home ones do you mean ones you can purchase or the ones critical workers are using, I’ve had a friend offer to send me a lateral flow test but it’s one of the ones you record on a form (she’s a healthcare worker) so how would you go about getting an email from the nhs or gov website? I’m so new to all this! 

119 gave me the website address last night it is https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result. You may need the postcode of the organisation the test came from ie I was told I would need the post code of our local secondary school.   I think you can also register the result by calling 119 as well

x

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Weloveballet said:

Ones for essential workers (a friend offered us a spare as well) - apparently you register it online, take the test, submit the result along with your NHS number and info and you get a text and email back afterwards. But I’m none the wiser either tbh (sorry! :() just going by what I’ve been told. 
Hoping to try one and see what happens. 

The advisor on 119 explained every local authority is responsible for their own areas lateral flow testing, there’s been no National roll out or government advice on how it should be carried out, hence it varying so much.
We have no LF test centres here, and no testing of students in schools, only staff (which most do at home). 

50 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

My DD was supposed to be at WL for a workshop in The November lockdown, we booked the Premier Inn in Richmond but their kitchens/restaurant was shut. The workshop was cancelled in the end so we didn’t go. However we stayed there for finals last year and there is a big Sainsbury’s around the corner so you can buy food and perhaps order takeaway to the hotel 🤷‍♀️

1 minute ago, Dancer20 said:

My DD was supposed to be at WL for a workshop in The November lockdown, we booked the Premier Inn in Richmond but their kitchens/restaurant was shut. The workshop was cancelled in the end so we didn’t go. However we stayed there for finals last year and there is a big Sainsbury’s around the corner so you can buy food and perhaps order takeaway to the hotel 🤷‍♀️

How far away is the Sainsbury’s from White lodge? I’m 

panicking about needing the toilet after a 2 hour drive and then waiting for Ds in the car for potentially another 2 hours!!! And not being allowed in the building! Lol 

8 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

panicking about needing the toilet after a 2 hour drive and then waiting for Ds in the car for potentially another 2 hours!!! And not being allowed in the building! Lol 

🤣
It’s about a 10min drive! WL is literally in the middle of Richmond park. Can’t remember which gate you exit from though! perhaps have a look on google maps

Proper big Sainsbury’s with toilets 🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

I have toilet worries as well. lol

27 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

119 gave me the website address last night it is https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result. You may need the postcode of the organisation the test came from ie I was told I would need the post code of our local secondary school.   I think you can also register the result by calling 119 as well

x

thats brilliant thanks so much 

There are toilets in the park too, might be chargeable, a lot of London’s public toilets are so carry some spare change.
As for reaching the Sainsbury’s (or any other large supermarket) you’d probably want to drive it - the park is huge!! 

It’s so tough with the restrictions, isn’t it? We go to Rambert and they always let use theirs even during restrictions but it seems WL are so much stricter. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Ones for essential workers (a friend offered us a spare as well) - apparently you register it online, take the test, submit the result along with your NHS number and info and you get a text and email back afterwards. But I’m none the wiser either tbh (sorry! :() just going by what I’ve been told. 
Hoping to try one and see what happens. 

The advisor on 119 explained every local authority is responsible for their own areas lateral flow testing, there’s been no National roll out or government advice on how it should be carried out, hence it varying so much.
We have no LF test centres here, and no testing of students in schools, only staff (which most do at home). 

thats brilliant thank you so much for the info 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

There are toilets in the park too, might be chargeable, a lot of London’s public toilets are so carry some spare change.
As for reaching the Sainsbury’s (or any other large supermarket) you’d probably want to drive it - the park is huge!! 

It’s so tough with the restrictions, isn’t it? We go to Rambert and they always let use theirs even during restrictions but it seems WL are so much stricter. 

Would the park toilets still be open? Thank-you for the tips and all your research. xx

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/richmond-park Seems some will still be open but some closed due to refurbs so always worth checking latest news on here. Ignore me about taking spare change, all contactless payments now apparently. 

No problem. :) It’s a beautiful park (though we’ve never been as far in as WL so not quite sure what’s nearby).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/richmond-park Seems some will still be open but some closed due to refurbs so always worth checking latest news on here. Ignore me about taking spare change, all contactless payments now apparently. 

No problem. :) It’s a beautiful park (though we’ve never been as far in as WL so not quite sure what’s nearby).

Thank you , you are a star!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Thanks this is such useful information!! Plus thanks @Mum of unicorn dancerLong time since I've been to anywhere in London and have never driven in London. This is going to be quite the adventure! 

• Like 1

If it is helpful, you can drive to Sheen from WhiteLodge. (Use Sheen gate). 
In Sheen there is a large Waitrose  with a car park where you can access toilets also. 
It is likely the school will still allow parents to use specific toilets, they have done throughout drop offs in term time during the pandemic.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Thanks this is such useful information!! Plus thanks @Mum of unicorn dancerLong time since I've been to anywhere in London and have never driven in London. This is going to be quite the adventure! 

It’s still on the outskirts of London so not too bad. The only thing I will say is Richmond Park itself can get fairly busy, especially now nobody is really allowed to go anywhere else - give yourselves a little extra time if going for the afternoon session. Though the road to WL is sometimes closed with access only barriers so that must help a lot.

And you might have to stop for deer to pass 😍 (we always add about 20-30 mins extra journey time so we can do a detour drive through the park). 

Just now, Lara Eschler said:

I was able to book my ds for a test for this evening as a trial and had a booking for the 10th of March, unfortunately they said he was too young at the testing centre. Having a confirmed booking does not guarantee eligibility for the test. 

that’s useful to know. Sorry to hear you didn’t get it sorted. This is the same problem I’ve had with testing centres. At least we all seem to be getting somewhere with figuring it all out. 

13 minutes ago, Weloveballet said:

Can you park at the school? Or do you need to park nearby and get a taxi in? Thanks 

There is parking at the school, we had 70+ at finals last year and they squeezed everyone in the car park. RBS will advise which gate to use to enter the park depending on the time of your audition.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

I was able to book my ds for a test for this evening as a trial and had a booking for the 10th of March, unfortunately they said he was too young at the testing centre. Having a confirmed booking does not guarantee eligibility for the test. 

Oh no! I hope you've got another way to do this...Hope you can sort something x

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

On the plus side..at least you found this out now rather than on 10th March.

But isn't it ridiculous that testing availability is a postcode lottery.  Our local authority website, under its Community Testing heading says...Children of all ages can be tested by both PCR or LFT, at the discretion of their parents or guardians. Guidance is available on how to do this when you attend a testing site. 

However I haven't the need for it, so don't know how they are operating this in practice.

• Like 1