White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

My ds has been a JA for 3 years.. this phone call is routine. It’s the teacher getting to know their students which is nice . I don’t think they are compiling a form but will stand to be corrected 😊

Aw that's nice! We are new this year and I must admit it freaked me out a bit as I wasn't expecting it...she did say it wasn't to do with the auditions but she was asking questions about it so I wasn't sure! X 

57 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

I'm sure there are people with DCs through to WL finals who have never been JAs (for whatever reason) not to mention international applicants..they surely have to start with fresh eyes when watching all the videos otherwise it would only be JAs who ever got in. Therefore asking JA teachers for feedback would give info only on some candidates..I'd hope WL wouldn't seek that information therefore, to give equal chance to all..but who knows? Just a thought! Put more positively, anyone through to WL finals has done well, and it's all still to play for!

Yes my DD is one of the ones that is not a JA 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

We had a phone call after Christmas from The JA teacher asking about my DD and about whether we would apply and what her personality was like, how much dancing she did etc....other year 6 had the same phone call so I presume they provide some further information perhaps? X 

Yes, the phone call is the standard JA ‘parents evening’ haha, where the teacher chats about your child’s progress. Our JA teacher has always been great. They report on the children’s progress back to RBS every year I believe, so it’s not specifically done with WL applications/auditions in mind, but our JA teacher definitely was preparing them when we spoke. I think if they had any queries about a child who was applying to WL that was already a JA then it would just make sense to look at that information or request it from their JA teacher.

Being a JA isn’t necessarily a benefit though: like an internal candidate at work, you know their strengths but also their weaknesses... I just think that if I were on an audition panel I’d want as much information as possible about the candidates even if it wasn’t possible to obtain this information about every one of them... but what do I know?!: I’m sure each school has its own reasoning as to why it does things a certain way. 

• Like 3

Hi, my DD has a final audition at white lodge, she isn’t a JA so I was just wondering what type of things they are looking for in the physio assessment? Do you think all of them will see the physio or just those that they want to call back? Xx 

Edited by Dancermom

46 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

Hi, my DD has a final audition at white lodge, she isn’t a JA so I was just wondering what type of things they are looking for in the physio assessment? Do you think all of them will see the physio or just those that they want to call back? Xx 

Last years finals everyone saw the pyshio, it was part of their 2 days. My DD said they made them do a few movements, nothing out the ordinary, i think it's to make sure there is nothing glaringly obvious that will impede their training.

My DD wasn't a JA either, she's now at WL. Good Luck.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TheDanceDad said:

Last years finals everyone saw the pyshio, it was part of their 2 days. My DD said they made them do a few movements, nothing out the ordinary, i think it's to make sure there is nothing glaringly obvious that will impede their training.

Thanks! That's very helpful to know. And well done to your DD, hope she is enjoying it!

• Like 1

Can I just check with everyone who accepted the White Lodge Finals email, when you completed the online form and accepted did it just say the auditions team will be in contact.  I was just wondering whether anyone had received email confirmation that you had confirmed the place.  It just seems too simple to tick a box and submit. 

Edited by Ballet Dreams

7 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

Can I just check with everyone who accepted the White Lodge Finals email, when you completed the online form and accepted did it just say the auditions team will be in contact.  I was just wondering whether anyone had received email confirmation that you had confirmed the place.  It just seems too simple to tick a box and submit. 

Yeah nothing really just ticked the box....took me forever to find the link too! 

9 hours ago, ProudDanceDad said:

Thanks for the reply! So it’s nothing too in depth with the physio then. Congrats to your DD, is she enjoying it? X 

8 hours ago, Ballet Dreams said:

Yes I was expecting to have a form to fill in but it was just a yes or no box and that was that. Havnt heard anything since but hoping we will hear soon now that Boris has made his announcement and things are more clear! X 

4 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Wondering what WL will do regarding those travelling for audition. According to road map you can’t travel out of your area till 29th March... plus no overnight stays till May it looks like. I expect we will get an updated email this week but wouldn’t be surprised if dates are moved.

Yes that’s true I didn’t really think about that 🤔 they could move the dates back but it’s getting late they’ll need to make decisions soon. I hope we hear from them by the end of this week x 

I think the restrictions refer only to travel and stays for leisure purposes? I don’t know if this audition would come under education and therefore travelling and an overnight stay would be acceptable?! Who knows! 😂 Perhaps Royal would have to get some clarification on it.

I really hope they don’t push the dates back further. I’d almost rather a Zoom final than that! 😭 I feel like the kids need a good time

period to adjust to the idea of moving away and the further that dates get pushed back the harder that will be for them (and us!) 

When I emailed the registrar said that the deadline was mid this week so we would probably get more information by the very end of this week or early next week. Here’s hoping!

Edited by Bunny

1 minute ago, Bunny said:

I think the restrictions refer only to travel and stays for leisure purposes. I don’t know if this audition would come under education and therefore travelling and an overnight stay would be acceptable? Who knows! 

I would like to think this is the case, with it being education, I don’t see how they can delay things much longer if they have to start making decisions about overseas students and mid associates also. Either way I hope we get more information soon so we can start planning the travel aspect. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bunny said:

I think the restrictions refer only to travel and stays for leisure purposes? I don’t know if this audition would come under education and therefore travelling and an overnight stay would be acceptable?! Who knows! 😂 Perhaps Royal would have to get some clarification on it.

I really hope they don’t push the dates back further. I’d almost rather a Zoom final than that! 😭 I feel like the kids need a good time

period to adjust to the idea of moving away and the further that dates get pushed back the harder that will be for them (and us!) 

When I emailed the registrar said that the deadline was mid this week so we would probably get more information by the very end of this week or early next week. Here’s hoping!

Hotels are open for education purposes and you are also allowed to travel for education.  I am sure an Audition for secondary school would be counted as education.  Fingers crossed anyway, I am hoping that dates will be as planned and that children will definitely be able to dance face to face. 

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

Hotels are open for education purposes and you are also allowed to travel for education.  I am sure an Audition for secondary school would be counted as education.  I am hoping that dates will be as planned.  

Yes, our hotel is booked so here’s hoping dates don’t change! 🤞🏻🩰

5 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

Hotels are open for education purposes and you are also allowed to travel for education.  I am sure an Audition for secondary school would be counted as education.  Fingers crossed anyway, I am hoping that dates will be as planned and that children will definitely be able to dance face to face. 

Sounds promising 🤞

5 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Yes, but it is proving impossible to get a  covid test for us. 

Oh no I’m so sorry to hear this, have you asked them about the possibility of a home test, I’m sure someone said they had said they were okay as long as they gave an official result? x

Just now, Bunny said:

Oh no I’m so sorry to hear this, have you asked them about the possibility of a home test, I’m sure someone said they had said they were okay as long as they gave an official result? x

The number no longer works, you get through the upper answer phone and I was sort of expecting them to give more info today. The cost of a pcr test with rapid guaranteed results is 249 with the certificate. I think not just meant to be for us, doubt Spring intensive will work for us either.  

2 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

The number no longer works, you get through the upper answer phone and I was sort of expecting them to give more info today. The cost of a pcr test with rapid guaranteed results is 249 with the certificate. I think not just meant to be for us, doubt Spring intensive will work for us either.  

Lara, do you know any nurse friends or teachers or anyone who has these tests at home? They could send you one and then all you need to do is register the result on the government website. Our local area doesn’t do LFT for under 16 but said he could come for a normal test two days before . She said the results are taking 24-36 hours to come back but it’s still a risk ☹️

20 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Yes, but it is proving impossible to get a  covid test for us. 

Have you tried your primary school some are testing teachers do they may be able to help.  Also what about the rapid antigen tests they are similar to the rapid flow and around £85 I am sure someone else posted to say that the RBS had said they would accept a pcr or rapid antigen if you could not get a lateral flow.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Lara, do you know any nurse friends or teachers or anyone who has these tests at home? They could send you one and then all you need to do is register the result on the government website. Our local area doesn’t do LFT for under 16 but said he could come for a normal test two days before . She said the results are taking 24-36 hours to come back but it’s still a risk ☹️

We were told not to use this method if asymptomatic. Will you have to isolate as a household? and also as you said it is still risky in terms of getting the results on time though we might try that way...  For the lateral flow test, as they are a government a initiative, they should only be used to test staff or secondary school pupils. My ds school also have their own SAMBA machine for testing and are unwilling to  test him even if you paid for it. 

4 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

Have you tried your primary school some are testing teachers do they may be able to help.  Also what about the rapid antigen tests they are similar to the rapid flow and around £85 I am sure someone else posted to say that the RBS had said they would accept a pcr or rapid antigen if you could not get a lateral flow.  

Does anyone know where to find a test for 85 that guarantees results within the time frame? thanks