The red shoes

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Whiteduvet said:

At the minute though the finals

cant go ahead as planned (I think-have somewhat lost track of what’s allowed and what isn’t 🤣), so surely they’re waiting until the rules change and they can confirm plans...

Currently BoJo is planning to open schools 8th March and the first final is 11th March I believe for Y7 boys so at the moment it’s still possible. If Scotland go ahead with opening schools from 22nd February I think England will then definitely reopen 8th March and so finals would in that case be able to go ahead I would have thought?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whiteduvet said:

At the minute though the finals

cant go ahead as planned (I think-have somewhat lost track of what’s allowed and what isn’t 🤣), so surely they’re waiting until the rules change and they can confirm plans...

They’ve already set out a planned date ... 12th March for boys . Dance exams can take place when schools resume. I’m an ISTD teacher so know this rather than guessing. I’m sure auditions will be allowed once schools open given its for a full time school ... fingers crossed anyway 

• Like 1

Yes, was just reading that the 8th is the plan for reopening. To be confirmed on 22nd Feb I believe, so that could be another milestone before we hear anything too. Hopefully it’s all schools and not by area or by age group. I guess anyone invited to finals will also need to produce a negative COVID test result? Or maybe not. But that’s another thing we need to consider. 

I hope they let us know soon about who’s through so that we can either start prepping or just stop stressing over the what ifs about travel restrictions etc. 

How is it working out for the other schools? Will they wait for all auditions to be done before making people choose to accept their places or not? Must be terribly stressful if not. 

I am hoping we will hear really soon as train tickets and the like are incredibly hit and miss at the moment and for those of us who would need to come up and stay overnight if our kids were lucky enough to make finals, the more time we have to prepare the better, as I’ll also need to sort childcare arrangements for my other DC, and I’m sure I’m not the only one in that position x

Edited by Bunny
  • Like 1

It’s not just schools which need to be open though, it’s transport and hotels too. And I fear that 8/3 is optimistic however much I’d like it to be true...!!

The Royal follows its own rules I think: doubt it’ll be influenced by other schools! But I agree a yes or no would be good even if it’s only ‘yes with details to follow’!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Whiteduvet said:

It’s not just schools which need to be open though, it’s transport and hotels too. And I fear that 8/3 is optimistic however much I’d like it to be true...!!

The Royal follows its own rules I think: doubt it’ll be influenced by other schools! But I agree a yes or no would be good even if it’s only ‘yes with details to follow’!

Hotels and transport are still open  and running for work and education purposes so that’s not a barrier at the moment at least! 🤞🏻 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whiteduvet said:

Yes it is optimistic... but I don’t see why they need to wait for guidelines before announcing prelim results. Hammond and Tring have. 
I’m a dance school owner and don’t expect to be back in my studio until June/ July at the earliest. 
I am pretty sure finals will be online again 😞 as much as I hate to admit it 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Yes it is optimistic... but I don’t see why they need to wait for guidelines before announcing prelim results. Hammond and Tring have. 
I’m a dance school owner and don’t expect to be back in my studio until June/ July at the earliest. 
I am pretty sure finals will be online again 😞 as much as I hate to admit it 

I am also thinking they might end up on Zoom which is a shame for the kids, but at the same time I would rather they did that and then perhaps offered physio appointments and a look around the school in person to those who were successful, rather than putting off finals indefinitely and waiting until June or July or whenever to hold them, as it’s just not enough time for parents and children to come to terms with their child moving away, prepare etc. I think it will be easier for those children who are JAs as teachers will be able to give some input as to how they are in person. 

3 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

We’re not in the round this year, next year for us but good luck to everyone this year. 

I’ve often wondered, and your post @Bunnyhas lead me to ask, do JA teachers provide feedback to Royal for those that are applying for WL?  

They write a report on the children’s progress every year I believe. (Or at least, that’s what my DS’s JA teacher advised me during my parents evening appointment.) I don’t think it’s specifically written so that the children can be considered for WL, but I think this year they will certainly help if they need any further clarification about a child who is a JA, I think it would make sense to look at them but who knows! My DS’s JA teacher told me though that they will primarily look at the videos. 

5 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

We’re not in the round this year, next year for us but good luck to everyone this year. 

I’ve often wondered, and your post @Bunnyhas lead me to ask, do JA teachers provide feedback to Royal for those that are applying for WL?  

Not sure about that, but some current WL kids are going to join our DS's JA class this Saturday for a Q and A, which sounds like a lovely idea. Definitely a rising sense of panic about results and what may need to be required in terms of travel etc. Hang on in there guys! It's helpful to have this forum to share problems and solutions as they arise! ❤️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Not sure about that, but some current WL kids are going to join our DS's JA class this Saturday for a Q and A, which sounds like a lovely idea. Definitely a rising sense of panic about results and what may need to be required in terms of travel etc. Hang on in there guys! It's helpful to have this forum to share problems and solutions as they arise! ❤️

Oh wow. What a lovely idea. My daughter would love that, although she’s y5 she’s in a mixed y5/y6 class so if they did that for other centres (I assume you’re London) she would be in her element. 

I agree it must be particularly hard in the audition round this year. I’m thinking if you all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

Oh wow. What a lovely idea. My daughter would love that, although she’s y5 she’s in a mixed y5/y6 class so if they did that for other centres (I assume you’re London) she would be in her element. 

I agree it must be particularly hard in the audition round this year. I’m thinking if you all. 

Not London, Newcastle! Very grateful as WL seems like a Looong way away for us! Maybe they are former Newcastle JAs who got into WL...

Edited by TwirlyWhirly

5 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi, I was just curious, is there a waitlist after WL finals? 

One of the Newcastle JA boys was definitely on a waitlist last year and then was subsequently offered a place and went, so there was last year :) X

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bunny said:

They write a report on the children’s progress every year I believe. (Or at least, that’s what my DS’s JA teacher advised me during my parents evening appointment.) I don’t think it’s specifically written so that the children can be considered for WL, but I think this year they will certainly help if they need any further clarification about a child who is a JA, I think it would make sense to look at them but who knows! My DS’s JA teacher told me though that they will primarily look at the videos. 

My dd only started in year 6 and only made it in person twice this term to her JA class..so I think it might be hard for some of the JA teachers to give feedback based on zoom...unless she assessed her based on the week she made it in December? X 

27 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

My dd only started in year 6 and only made it in person twice this term to her JA class..so I think it might be hard for some of the JA teachers to give feedback based on zoom...unless she assessed her based on the week she made it in December? X 

Yes, I would imagine it would be a bit trickier for those DC who have only just started this year. I meant more for those who have gone through several years where the teacher has seen them every week.  I have to say though I think the Zoom classes have been amazing and the teacher at our centre is absolutely excellent at sitting closely to the screen and observing the children and giving corrections, way more than I thought she would be able to! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bunny said:

Yes, I would imagine it would be a bit trickier for those DC who have only just started this year. I meant more for those who have gone through several years where the teacher has seen them every week.  I have to say though I think the Zoom classes have been amazing and the teacher at our centre is absolutely excellent at sitting closely to the screen and observing the children and giving corrections, way more than I thought she would be able to! 

Yeah zoom classes have been fab and there aren't too many in her class so I think she can see them all fairly well. The email made me laugh this week as we have been guilty of letting the dog in on the action at times! Whoops! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darkbeans said:

Children are offered waitlist places for Whitelodge, but it’s a very short waitlist I believe! 😊

The year DD was on it, there were just 5 girls who were automatically given places in MAs in the meantime. DD went to a different vocational school, as she had other offers, so we declined staying on the list (we felt that the uncertainty would make starting at a different school feel very unsure, as the list remains open until the Easter of Year 7) but I believe some girls were taken into WL off the waitlist.

Edited by SissonneDoublee
Edited for clarity
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Raquelle said:

Yeah zoom classes have been fab and there aren't too many in her class so I think she can see them all fairly well. The email made me laugh this week as we have been guilty of letting the dog in on the action at times! Whoops! 

Same. We can evict the dog from the living room but not our two cats - they generally stay out of the way but occasionally decide they want to join in too, or worse, want to check out the camera. Oops!  I’ve had to jump in a few times to remove a cat. 🤭 Will definitely try harder after receiving that email. 😬😅

I agree the attention to detail has been fantastic but we can’t wait for Zoom lessons to be over. DS definitely prefers Zoom over the recorded lessons from the first lockdown though. And our JA teacher is fantastic too. ☺️ 

Zoom (or Teams for school) seems to be on constantly here (our two DDs dance too). The hiding and trying to stay quiet all day and most evenings is really grating on us now. Thankful for it though as I know a few DCs were unable to get on zoom at all which must be incredibly frustrating and very unfair. ☹️

Hopefully not too much longer and it’ll be safe to head back into studios. ❤️ 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
  • Like 1

Just got super excited as our number of views had gone up. Thankfully checked analytics before posting (and getting anyone’s hopes up) - it was from me accidentally clicking on the video via the app recently. 3 times for a total of 14 seconds. Fail! 🤦‍♀️🤣 

I’m not sure if it’s better to have this information available or not. Gosh! 😅 

23 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Just got super excited as our number of views had gone up. Thankfully checked analytics before posting (and getting anyone’s hopes up) - it was from me accidentally clicking on the video via the app recently. 3 times for a total of 14 seconds. Fail! 🤦‍♀️🤣 

I’m not sure if it’s better to have this information available or not. Gosh! 😅 

Aw I know!! Sometimes I think its best not to know but I can't help peeking! X 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Raquelle said:

Dont worry so am I...my dog crashes in all the time!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Same. We can evict the dog from the living room but not our two cats - they generally stay out of the way but occasionally decide they want to join in too, or worse, want to check out the camera. Oops!  I’ve had to jump in a few times to remove a cat. 🤭 Will definitely try harder after receiving that email. 😬😅

I agree the attention to detail has been fantastic but we can’t wait for Zoom lessons to be over. DS definitely prefers Zoom over the recorded lessons from the first lockdown though. And our JA teacher is fantastic too. ☺️ 

Zoom (or Teams for school) seems to be on constantly here (our two DDs dance too). The hiding and trying to stay quiet all day and most evenings is really grating on us now. Thankful for it though as I know a few DCs were unable to get on zoom at all which must be incredibly frustrating and very unfair. ☹️

Hopefully not too much longer and it’ll be safe to head back into studios. ❤️ 

The email did make me chuckle! It’s really difficult when everybody is at home isn’t it. I know exactly what you mean with the zoom frequency, I feel like I’m always tiptoeing about in the next room and planning my whole days around avoiding a camera pointing at me! Ha! Fingers crossed brighter days (in the studio!) are coming! x

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Flower said:

Hi Everyone 

I’m wondering how many ‘views’ people have had for their various school entries. Are some places looking more than others? 

2 views from elmhurst - 1st view was about 1 minute, second view was 3.5. 
2 or 3 very short views from RBS all around 1 minute.