Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn Season 2018/19

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but I just noticed on the RoH website that Hay has been replaced by Sambe for his scheduled performances in Nutcracker - towards the end of the run. Wondering if this means he won't be dancing in Patineurs too  :( 

Oh no :( 

No courtesy of a mention in News, I suppose?  We just have to be eagle-eyed and retain all casting in our memory so that we spot when any changes are made.

Now, this to me is one of the problems with not having a hard copy of casting anywhere any more: there will presumably still be 3 casts, but if Sambé is dancing 4 of the performances and he's the only named dancer, it then becomes difficult to work out which performance is which cast.

1 hour ago, annamk said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but I just noticed on the RoH website that Hay has been replaced by Sambe for his scheduled performances in Nutcracker - towards the end of the run. Wondering if this means he won't be dancing in Patineurs too  :( 

Oh, what a shame.  Such a fine dancer; such a GLORIOUS dramatic artist.  I pray if he is injured that he recovers soon ... There is a world out here that very much needs his artistry.  So looking forward to the Two Pigeons with Takada.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

Yes, but is that available to the general public?  On the website?  These days, when you follow links to PDFs online you can't tell where they are housed (drives me nuts on a professional level, but that's another story).  I'd assumed that was a Friends' publication.

3 hours ago, annamk said:

Hay has been replaced by Sambe for his scheduled performances in Nutcracker

It would appear to be more drastic than that. 

According to my records (and the pdf), O'Sullivan and Hay were scheduled three performances: 7th, 9th, and 15th Jan. They have been replaced by Gasparini and Ella on 7th and 15th Jan. Hay has been replaced by Sambé on 9th, but O'Sullivan is still cast. 

If I was being cheeky, I would note that these dates are around Bonelli's scheduled performances. Maybe they need a new Prince...

Edit: Also, O’Sullivan and Sambé are replacing Gasparini and Ella for 28th Dec Matinée. 

Keeping up with casting is becoming a full time job! I have PhD corrections to do!

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 1

Oh dear I do hope its not a serious injury! I've also booked to see Hay in two pigeons in February ....but it's early February so not looking very hopeful then. 

Still haven't heard who is replacing Hayward on Feb 12 th performance .....two people I specifically booked to see!! 

Still ive not seen Akada do it so can look forward to that....unless they have to swap whole couples around etc. 

Id only resale my ticket if it turns out to be exactly the same cast twice though as they are not the cheapest of seats!! 

I thought that the ROH were supposed to still email ticket holders for cast changes, even post Open Up. I'm sure I got an email when Hirano replaced Watson in Mayerling. However I haven't had anything through for The Nutcracker despite having a ticket for 9th January. I think I might give up, return my ticket & just go to the cinecast & save myself about £50, given there are now 3 out of 5 cast members the same plus the likelihood of Bonelli turning up appears to be low.

...meanwhile in Sydney for Cinderella of the six male principals at TAB, two are injured, one doesn't do this role, one's in Birmingham and we've borrowed one from y'all for two shows. Our sole male senior artist was not cast as he was meant to be guesting in the US but it fell through at the last minute.

Three of the seven men dancing the role are soloists, two Aussie principals (from China and New Zealand), one RB principal (an actual Aussie), and the one I really would love to see but because I don't live in Sydney and had to book my trip before any casting came out (8 days before opening night) so won't be seeing, is a coryphée.

TAB ranks BTW are principal artist, senior artist, soloist, coryphée, corps de ballet.

I feel like I'm rewriting the Four Yorkshiremen sketch. 😂

Edited by Sophoife
Added ranks
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, alison said:

We seem to have got an awful lot of Winter casting discussion in this thread.  Excuse me while I go and move them all ... :( 

Would it not be easier for everyone to have one RB casting thread for the year? It's difficult enough to know even for booking purposes which performances fall into which 'season', let alone remembering this months later. Comments would naturally move along  chronologically as casts are announced (and then changed...).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alison said:

We're already on page 14 of this thread: I for one don't fancy having to trawl through perhaps 4 times that to find the relevant casting details among all the discussion.

I just meant merging the two casting threads, not separating out any posts. But I realise that would be a big job too, so maybe impracticable now.

12 minutes ago, alison said:

Merging 2 threads wouldn't be that much of a problem, but then how would you find the important posts among them, in say 25 pages?

Yes, it would make for a very long thread - maybe too long. It was just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just had that too. I'm wondering why we've had an email for this cast change but didn't get one for Sambe replacing Hay, especially given Hans-Peter has more stage time than the Prince!

Maybe because Bonelli is a Principal and the equally admirable  Hay and Sambe are not - yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Just received an email confirming that Federico Bonelli will be replaced by William Bracewell as The Prince in the Nutcracker on 9 and 15 January. 

Very pleased for William Bracewell - he is getting some well deserved slots. Looking forward to seeing him on Friday 21,  with Kaneko as the SPF.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Maybe because Bonelli is a Principal and the equally admirable  Hay and Sambe are not - yet?

Although from memory I don’t think we had an email to confirm replacement of Hayward and McRae with Naghdi and Hirano for last week’s Nutcracker. 

However I echo thoughts above - really pleased for the additional opportunity for William Bracewell, who is a beautiful dancer. 

Edited by Riva
Adding final sentence
  • Like 2

I would say it seems a bit rough on Campbell to let him go all the way to Australia just for a few shows and then to expect him to come rushing back the moment they are over. I would imagine he has been given leave of absence to stay and spend some well-earned time with his family, whom he can’t get to see very often, before returning 🙂

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Balletfanp said:

I would say it seems a bit rough on Campbell to let him go all the way to Australia just for a few shows and then to expect him to come rushing back the moment they are over. I would imagine he has been given leave of absence to stay and spend some well-earned time with his family, whom he can’t get to see very often, before returning 🙂

From his instagram I see that he is indeed spending some quality time with his family and I'm very pleased he is able to do so.

• Like 15