Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn Season 2018/19

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't we recently complaining that McRae and Lamb were getting a lot of them?  The thing is, given that they relay the Nutcracker virtually every year, they must be getting very short of dancers they haven't already used.

1 hour ago, alison said:

Tough for Muntagirov.  I know he's been partnering both of them, but they're now the wrong way round, so to speak, and at short notice.  Assuming they aren't going to swap the ballerinas round, of course.

Don't even think that Alison... Now I'm going to worry until I see the cast sheet :). (I specifically booked this performance to see Nunez's Gamzatti.)

58 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Just an FYI: Kevin Jackson is out of the current run of Spartacus in Sydney with an ankle problem. Here's hoping he is fully recovered and travels to London.

He's due to perform with Naghdi in under 4 weeks, and they'll need to rehearse as well since he has never partnered Naghdi before...this means he'll have to very quickly recover from his ankle problem/injury! (?) 

What if Jackson doesn't recover in time? Who will partner Naghdi? 

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo

On 05/11/2018 at 20:24, Xandra Newman said:

The Unknown Soldier complaining basically comes from the Hayward fan base.

The Naghdi fan base can eat their heart out as they are getting to see her on Opening Night and  3 more performances, as well as in Symphony in C and Infra so they don't have anything to complain about :) 

I booked to see Naghdi on the 28th - booking annual leave, bought train tickets,  so how will I see her on Opening Night and 3 more performances?

Kevin Jackson had cortisone in mid-October per his Instagram, but was unable to dance the opening night of Spartacus as scheduled on 9 November.

However, I'm looking on the positive side that this unscheduled longer than planned break from performing will give him the chance to properly heal up. 

As regards partnering, aren't professionals at Principal level frequently expected to rehearse then perform a pas de deux with new partners in a couple of days? I know Alexander Campbell is coming here for longer but he has a whole ballet to learn that isn't in the Royal's rep, whereas Peter Wright's Nutcracker is in TAB's rep and it's basically one piece. 

Edited by Sophoife
Made more clear who I was talking about
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sharon said:

I booked to see Naghdi on the 28th - booking annual leave, bought train tickets,  so how will I see her on Opening Night and 3 more performances?

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/6vwd4 

Sharon on the 28th, because of the cast change, O'Sullivan replaces Naghdi in "Unknown Soldier" because Naghdi is taking over all of Hayward's 4 shows (Incl. Opening Night). Naghdi is dancing Infra and Symphony in C on the 28th.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

As regards partnering, aren't professionals at Principal level frequently expected to rehearse then perform a pas de deux with new partners in a couple of days? I know Alexander Campbell is coming here for longer but he has a whole ballet to learn that isn't in the Royal's rep, whereas Peter Wright's Nutcracker is in TAB's rep and it's basically one piece. 

I thought the Nutcracker TAB has is the one SPW created for BRB?  Although, of course, Mr Campbell is familiar with SPW's versions for both RB and BRB.

2 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I thought the Nutcracker TAB has is the one SPW created for BRB?  Although, of course, Mr Campbell is familiar with SPW's versions for both RB and BRB.

We must have crossed wires, Jan 😀  AC is dancing the Prince in Ratmansky's Cinderella, not any version of Nutcracker

12 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

We must have crossed wires, Jan 😀  AC is dancing the Prince in Ratmansky's Cinderella, not any version of Nutcracker

Oh, of course.  But KJ will presumably be performing here in a different Nutcracker to the one at TAB, albeit both by SPW.

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Anyone just passing by this forum must think balletgoers spend all their time speaking in code :) 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

He's due to perform with Naghdi in under 4 weeks, and they'll need to rehearse as well since he has never partnered Naghdi before...this means he'll have to very quickly recover from his ankle problem/injury! (?) 

What if Jackson doesn't recover in time? Who will partner Naghdi? 

Maybe William Bracewell could be an option?  Let's hope KJ has recovered by then.

On 09/11/2018 at 11:26, bridiem said:

Yes - no casting for Symphony in C on 22nd Nov, for example. Not sure if that's because it's not decided yet or because it just hasn't been updated yet.

With 8 days to go before that performance, I still don't see casting for Symphony in C on 22 November.  Am I missing something?  If anyone does know the casting, can you please advise?

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Oh, of course.  But KJ will presumably be performing here in a different Nutcracker to the one at TAB, albeit both by SPW.

Yes indeed but much less to learn as SPF Cavalier isn't exactly dancing for a roolly roolly long time 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alison said:

Tough for Muntagirov.  I know he's been partnering both of them, but they're now the wrong way round, so to speak, and at short notice.  Assuming they aren't going to swap the ballerinas round, of course.

Daria Klimentova posted a video on Instagram yesterday which showed Vadim rehearsing with Osipova as Nikiya. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, now voyager said:

With 8 days to go before that performance, I still don't see casting for Symphony in C on 22 November.  Am I missing something?  If anyone does know the casting, can you please advise?

My guess is there's only 1 cast for Symphony in C and the ROH website omitted to add the cast on the 22nd November performance page (...)

Enquiries direct to dancers suggest that the casting for Symphony in C which has been posted on the ROH website is not only incomplete but possibly inaccurate for one of the dates.

The website really is a terrible mess and, actually, the RB seems to be in a bit of a pickle with its casting, not least because there are, or are about to be, so many absentees.

Regarding the casting for the Nutcracker relay, Muntagirov hasn't yet done a cinema Nutcracker (has he?) and, of the other Principals, Bonelli and McRae (who have been relayed) plus Ball and Campbell are away, Kish, Soares and Watson are not cast - so that leaves Hirano, who is dancing with Lamb (and she danced The Sugar Plum Fairy in last year's broadcast). I would have no problem if a First Soloist or Soloist were to be seen in the cinema in certain leading roles, but I will certainly take Muntagirov in the role of The Prince any day. My main issue is that he always seems to be cast with Nunez or another older ballerina and Kevin O'Hare isn't hearing me pleading, "Please put him on with Takada or Naghdi."

Looking at the Nutcracker casting, all the ballerinas except for Nunez and Lamb are partnered with First Soloists or Soloists and Naghdi is due to dance with a guest who is currently injured. Apart from that, there are now huge gaps in the listings as well and other dancers have guesting assignments lined up for December. It does seem as if, by allowing so many leading dancers to do other things, the RB might be over-stretching itself.

• Like 9

Yes seems like they are in a pickle :) 

With Hayward now absent other principals will have to take over her two shows (I think she had two shows), so they'll need to decide who will dance one or both of those shows and with whom.

With Kevin Jackson seemingly out, Naghdi is "left "stranded" as her previous Prince, Matthew Ball, is also out. It would indeed satisfy many of us to see her dance Sugar Plum with Muntagirov but will he/can he add shows to partner Naghdi in her two scheduled shows? 

Edited by Xandra Newman
Typo

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I will certainly take Muntagirov in the role of The Prince any day. My main issue is that he always seems to be cast with Nunez or another older ballerina and Kevin O'Hare isn't hearing me pleading, "Please put him on with Takada or Naghdi."

Yes please!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

Yes seems like they are in a pickle :) 

With Hayward now absent other principals will have to take over her two shows (I think she had two shows), so they'll need to decide who will dance one or both of those shows and with whom.

With Kevin Jackson seemingly out, Naghdi is "left "stranded" as her previous Prince, Matthew Ball, is also out. It would indeed satisfy many of us to see her dance Sugar Plum with Muntagirov but will he/can he add shows to partner Naghdi in her two scheduled shows? 

Sigh.  That would be lovely.  If not, I suggested Bracewell as he has danced it before (I think), and was scheduled to be dancing with Naghdi in Unknown Soldier.

Thinking of Bonelli, he is currently away on his Clore Leadership Fellowship, returing for Frankenstein in the spring. Presumably this means that he wont be available to dance in Nutcracker at all, be that with Naghdi or the two performances he was scheduled to dance with Morera. More cast changes we are waiting for...

• Like 1