WL auditions for 2017

Caitlin_dance

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi my DD was at finals last year for year7. You do get sent a thorough outline of the day(s). I am not sure but this year there are 2 days of finals according to my friend whose dd has got through. Last year we had a brief intro from the AD then the girls did their class in front of the panel which lasted at least 1 1/2 hours poss longer. then they had an academic assessment: an interview with senior academic staff and the physio assessment . ( As my dd was a London JA they did this the week before after her JA class to save time.)The girls had a tour of dorms and school. Finally there was a call back class at 4.15 which lasted until 5.30pm. Parents were allowed to go away and return at 4.00pm. It sounds intense but my dd and friends had a fabulous day and even made new friends so I hope your dd really enjoys it !

Well enjoy .. our one day was very long and tiring so it's probably much nicer and fairer for the girls to have two days !! Good luck and chat to the lovely PTA who normally have a stall , we gained a very clear picture of the school from them which helped too.x

The knee thing is to test flexibility, they start on a line take a lunge and try to get the knee to touch the wall, in parallel.

I think they had to touch toes then uncurl slowly? And they did a few tests for hyper extension, heels off the floor, elbows I think?

I think they also measured degree of turnout as that was mentioned during the feedback phonecall. Many years ago I was on a course led by Moira McCormack, and she showed us how they were able to determine the range of turnout available to a child, even if they werent fully utilising it?

One of my students JA friends got WL finals last year then a waitlist place for MA. I think quite a few got MA places from the waitlist last year, I know at least one got a no for WL finals, then got a place from the waitlist.

There is absolutely no method in the audition madness. A yes to all the finals doesn't guarantee a place! I'm sure there was a lovely story recently of someone who got a no at the initial audition stages then was offered a place from summer school, think that was elmhurst?

Bluebird, my DD was one who was offered a Y8 place in October at Elmhurst although she had reach finals for Y7 and Y8 for Elmhurst and Y8 for WL.  She did Elmhurst summer schools in 2015 and 2016 and yes, you are quite correct, her full-time place offer came from finals and their assessment of her during the last summer school.

When in Y6, she was devastated by the No's but picked herself up.  She was SWL for MAs and then got offered a Y7 MA place once the dust began to settle after all the movements at the various schools following full-time offers.  She really made the most of her time at MAs and last year's audition we only did as practice so she was super relaxed in them, particularly the WL one.  Ladies, it really is possible for your DC to get there, albeit maybe not in the way you initially hoped for, if they are determined enough.  My DD says now she's glad she had to work harder for it as the No's made her really think about what she wanted and how to go about getting there - she thinks a Yes the first year would have made her a bit complacent and possibly not work as hard.  But we will never know if that would have been the case.

All these DC who audition are amazing as it is stressful and they do continue to amaze me how they do pick themselves up and keep going.  Good luck to all the Yes's and please don't give up if it wasn't the result you hoped for.

• Like 4

Is the above mentioned hypextention is a good thing or a bad thing? Or it is the degree of it that makes it good or bad thing?

Turn out is clearly a good thing:) but hyperextention? Any ideas?

And thank you for the info!!!

Edited by Hopeful????

It will depend on how many existing JA's will be moving up to MA's I think.

Maybe it is different in other centres but I don't think JA move up, they audition like everybody ... so don't think directly affected by JA ...it is more about the existing MA how many of them leave as MA group are mixed years
  • Like 1

Hyperextension can be an advantage but in larger amounts can be a disadvantage as there is more risk of injury and a lot of strength is needed to control it.

Thank you! That was I was afraid of :) Do you know by any chance if then they check the current muscles strength at the same time they check for hyperextention ?:) DC works on her strength exercises to make it all work....or they only check the hyper?

Glad we started ballet not long ago- had such a care free life !

So happy this chat is here !

This made me smile....how much angst can our children's passions cause us parents? My DD is pretty much self sufficient these days (well, I just provide the money) so I don't worry about ballet much nowadays. But I have just spent most of these evening scouring the internet for new wheels for one of my son's bikes. By the tine I'd exhausted all the European websites and was moving on to US and Australian sites I decided it was time to give up and go to bed....

Still, we never have to worry about where are children are or what they are doing - there are benefits to these all consuming interests. Hang on in there!

• Like 4

This made me smile....how much angst can our children's passions cause us parents? My DD is pretty much self sufficient these days (well, I just provide the money) so I don't worry about ballet much nowadays. But I have just spent most of these evening scouring the internet for new wheels for one of my son's bikes. By the tine I'd exhausted all the European websites and was moving on to US and Australian sites I decided it was time to give up and go to bed....

Still, we never have to worry about where are children are or what they are doing - there are benefits to these all consuming interests. Hang on in there!

Good point ! Also no much computer time or (almost ????) any energy left to be horrible teenagers ????????????

Feel better already

Good luck with the wheels !

• Like 1

Thank you daughtersdance and congratulations for getting that reserve place I really hope a space came up for your DD, have to say I hadn't even considered that possibility , I was thinking we would be out out of our misery either way in about a month .Despite getting a reserve place being a wonderful achievement it must have been stressful in itself .

• Like 1

Thank you Newbiemum..She was offered Ma's but she was also offered an Elmhurst place and we took that one and she is very happy there. Once we'd made up our minds to go to Elmhurst she was so excited we put the waiting list to the back of our minds it was less stressful. Its also nearer for us which makes a big difference ????

Edited by daughtersdance
  • Like 1

So exciting reading all this - takes me back 13 years like it was yesterday with my ds!!

Commiserations to the no's - remember to although we've had lots of recalls on the forum this year (which is lovely), more children will have got a no than a yes. And as everyone says it might just be "not yet" or it might be the start of a different journey like with my younger 2.

Those with recalls, be warned, the day at WL is lovely but your children will want it even more once they've got that close and been there for the day! Good luck and have fun

• Like 2