The Power of Dance ..... a story of hope.

Ballet4Boyz

I have made small references to our DS' journey a couple of times but thought it would be nice to share our news.

He was born with severe kidney & bladder abnormalities for which he underwent numerous operations as a baby/toddler & has had further surgery throughout his life, leaving him with one kidney . His amazing medical care saved his life on more occasions than I care to remember.

Lightening struck twice & he was diagnosed with one of the most aggressive cancers, totally unrelated to his renal problems - he was nearly 5yrs old at the time.

He went through further surgery & months of the strongest chemotherapy. We nearly lost him again on too many occasions & he was unable to walk properly for months afterwards...... but he was cancer free.

We were told if the cancer returned ......there would be no hope of a cure, and we would have to wait years before a final all-clear.

DS grew in strength very slowly & I arranged dance lessons for him after he'd repeatedly asked for tap shoes & to learn how to dance - he was nearly 7 by now. I was nervous, his heart had taken a bashing from the chemo and he suffered terribly with leg pain, again another side-effect. His oncologist who was by now a good friend - said to me .....if he wants to dance, let him dance & enjoy himself ..... his heart is strong enough, try not to worry .

The rest is history, his dancing went from strength to strength , gave him confidence, focus, his leg pain eased and his heart grew strong again, he had less time to dwell on upsetting memories ... he was healing before our eyes and his happiness charging to dance class was palpable. His oncologist was and is amazed by how DS has recovered so well and puts it down to his dancing - improving his physical & emotional well- being.

DS said goodbye to his oncologist a few weeks ago as he is retiring after a lifetime of trying to save children from cancer.

His oncologist told him ..... I'm retiring now, but I'm so happy to tell you finally that you are cured , and your cancer won't return & I'm so proud of your dancing achievements. DS cried at saying goodbye, and also at hearing this news .

DS starts at vocational school this week.

As parents ..... this is a new chapter for us & watching him dance over the last few years has helped us heal our own scars.

We realise how amazingly lucky we have been for DS to recover so well, we count our blessings all the time . I write this in memory of the children & teenagers we met & became so fond of along the way and so sadly weren't as lucky as our DS . We hold their families in our heart knowing they would be so pleased for DS ..... Every now and again it's nice to be reminded of success stories with cancer & other serious health problems...... and we firmly believe dancing has played a huge part in our family's healing.

????

• Like 45

It is very hard to know how to react to your story - other than to say there are tears in my eyes.

I wish your son all the joy in the world and salute you all for your courage and strength as a family.

Meadowblythe

Oh my goodness yes - what an inspiration you all are. I don't have enough words to convey my admiration for you - truly awesome!!

Wow, that's an amazing story Balletboyz. What a lot your family has been through. My cousin's little girl is currently undergoing treatment for a rare and aggressive tumour so I know how much the parents suffer, as well as the affected child. Your son is inspirational but so are you - well done on supporting him through all that and best of luck for the on going journey.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. As someone whose son "felt a lump" a few weeks ago, but it turned out to be absolutely nothing, I cannot begin to imagine all you have been through as a family. I wish your son all the good health, luck and happiness in the world on this exciting new chapter in his life.

• Like 1

Your son is a very strong and determined young man who doesn't give up, no matter what is thrown at him. His personality will be exactly what is required for his chosen profession. Massive well done coming out of remission, onwards and upwards with a bright future ahead of him. You and his father have done your son proud ????

• Like 1

Tragically one of my very good childhood friends lost her little girl to cancer a few years ago. However they continue to be, as you are Ballet4Boyz, an incredibly inspirational family, brave, courageous, dignified and still doing their best to fundraise for childhood cancer. 

I wish your DS and your family all the very best and I stand in awe of you. People like you are truly Warrior Angels on earth ! XXX

• Like 2

So touched to read your son's story. We have just received some distressing news about our grandson's health and it's good to have a reminder that there can be a positive outcome. I hope I am posting something similar to this at some time in the future. Good luck to your son.

• Like 3

What a wonderful outcome!  Thank you so much for sharing. Do let us know how he gets on at vocational school. I know what you've gone through from personal experience with our youngest son and twenty years on I still remember the relief when he got the all clear............May your son continue to flourish and stay healthy.

• Like 4

What an incredible story Ballet4Boyz

Wishing your son every success at his new vocational school I hope he is very happy there.

It must also be quite hard for you and family to let go of him after all that has happened so best wishes to you too especially in those first few weeks!

Linda xxx

• Like 2

BalletBoyz your son, you and your family are inspirational and truly no-one can possibly deserve their place at vocational school more. Hope it is all he hopes and I'm sure he'll be very successful. Xx

Karen I have everything crossed for your grandson and family xx

• Like 2

So touched to read your son's story. We have just received some distressing news about our grandson's health and it's good to have a reminder that there can be a positive outcome. I hope I am posting something similar to this at some time in the future. Good luck to your son.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandson's ill health Karen.  I am sending positive, healing thoughts his way and hugs to you all.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear this. All best wishes to you and your family.

• Like 1

What a wonderful story, and that oncologist is a wonderful doctor and human bring. So kind and generous of you to pay tribute to the other children and teenagers who sadly did not make it.

Yes - our oncologist is a truly remarkable man. He always, always had time for all the parents & their endless questions & worries, insisting we call him by his first name, visiting the ward on his days off when a child's condition was worsening. He would celebrate with us good blood/scan results by twirling us literally around off our feet, but also sit & hold our hands through the bad times . He would sometimes disappear into his office with the door closed and we all knew he'd be crying !! He would then return with red eyes, but the biggest smile painted on to spend time with the children. The children adore him - but after years & years of this emotional roller-coaster..... it has taken its toll & he's very exhausted. There aren't the words to describe how much we value this very special man, and indeed his team of registrars, house officers , nurses , play coordinators, counsellors , auxiliary staff - they are all beyond amazing.

The children, teenagers & their families who weren't so lucky will be etched in our hearts forever.

A 17yr old young lady who knew she was terminally ill caught me crying one day in the corner of my Ds's room. He was having a morphine-sleep & she had brought some toys to his bedside as he couldn't walk. She comforted me, told me it was "OK to cry - as it must be terrible to be a parent of such a poorly child" she also went onto say how she worried about her own parents & how they would cope once she'd gone"

I looked at her & she had the most beautiful brown eyes and gorgeous smile......... the cancer couldn't take these from her !!

She told me she really felt DS would be "one of the lucky ones" & she had a really good feeling about him ....... she was trying so hard to comfort me, I was truly humbled.

She passed a few months later, but I had time to call her my friend, give her comfort when her parents had to be elsewhere & it was such an honour to know her. The cancer never took her beauty away.

This is one story of many - and I hope the courage, dignity & strength of these amazing youngsters has in some way left myself & Dh better people for knowing them. :)

• Like 7

Wow, that's an amazing story Balletboyz. What a lot your family has been through. My cousin's little girl is currently undergoing treatment for a rare and aggressive tumour so I know how much the parents suffer, as well as the affected child. Your son is inspirational but so are you - well done on supporting him through all that and best of luck for the on going journey.

Wishing your cousins little girl all the luck in the world to get better as soon as possible, prayers , positive thoughts & hugs to your cousin & family. I hope they find some comfort & strength from my sons story. Xxx

Tragically one of my very good childhood friends lost her little girl to cancer a few years ago. However they continue to be, as you are Ballet4Boyz, an incredibly inspirational family, brave, courageous, dignified and still doing their best to fundraise for childhood cancer. 

I wish your DS and your family all the very best and I stand in awe of you. People like you are truly Warrior Angels on earth ! XXX

So very sad for your friend , there aren't any words really ...... just another reminder of how lucky my DS has been. Your friend & her family are truly inspirational & I hope their charity work brings some form of comfort to their lives. Xxx
  • Like 1

Oh no ..... I'm so sorry to hear that Karen. Wishing your grandson a speedy recovery.....& lots of strength to you & your family. Whatever he is battling, medical care for children especially has improved so much in recent years. Really hope to hear positive news from you soon. Xxx

What a wonderful outcome!  Thank you so much for sharing. Do let us know how he gets on at vocational school. I know what you've gone through from personal experience with our youngest son and twenty years on I still remember the relief when he got the all clear............May your son continue to flourish and stay healthy.

It's a journey that stays with you isn't it ! So pleased your son is well & healthy .... fantastic !!

• Like 1