The Royal Ballet, Onegin, January 2015

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review BBB! Glad you enjoyed Wednesdays show. I first saw Nunez in Fille a completely different role to Tatiana of course and she's wonderful in that too!!......if you get the chance to come to London again in a few months!!

Rather ironic that following up Dance is Life's link on translations for Onegin from the Russian text ......discovered that Onegin has his jinx even in translation as it were......it nearly came to "duel" situation there with at one point two different translators slating and denigrating each other for their work etc!!

• Like 2

When I saw Onegin in Copenhagen the older guests were played by the company's incomparable older character dancers, they added greatly to the sense of provincial cosiness that Onegin found so contemptible.

• Like 2

I was a little less convinced by Hinkis/Nicol Edmonds.

I thought Hinkis was supposed to be dancing with Zucchetti?

I tell you one thing, though, I definitely preferred the 'country gentlemen' in RB's version. While Capybara assured me that "The elderly 'gentlemen' in Act 2 of Onegin are always played 'over the top', BBB. You should see them at the Royal Ballet!", I can vouch for the fact that, actually, RBF's appeared to have set a new standard in caricature! Honestly, they were almost slapstick. :)

Actually, I was only commenting on Friday that the RB has toned down its 'old folk' quite a lot in this run. Instead of very young dancers playing 'bent double decrepit', we now have not only Marriott in his habitual role but also Mosley, Howells and, sometimes, Whitehead alongside some women who appear more moderate in their characterisations than hitherto. Thank goodness for that!

Indeed, it's much improved in that respect this time around. I should add Gartside and Underwood to that number. Can't remember who else I've spotted - I try not to spend too much time on faces because it distracts me from the ballet as a whole.

There are 100+ tickets available for the N/S cast on Wednesday, which is bizarre as this performance was recently shown as sold out.

I think you must be confusing it with another night, aileen. It's been 100+ for some time (probably always, in fact). 

I saw the opening night with Nunez and Soares and the Osipova/Golding cast on Friday and let me say, from the outset, that I enjoyed both immensely.

Whilst, in the past, I have generally found Soares to be more emotionally compelling than Nunez, although less technically able, on this occasion I found Nunez' performance, from her first, gauche entrance to her final dismissal, quite heartbreaking and by far the more nuanced of the two. For whatever reason, I found Soares' portrayal of an utterly irredeemable Onegin too saturnine for me to believe entirely in Tatiana's feelings for him. For me, and surprisingly, Golding's Onegin was characterised with more light and shade and, as such, a more emotionally credible performance. It also meant that I found it easier to sympathise with him in the closing denouement as a man who was as much a victim of his own emotional shortcomings as was Tatiana whereas I felt that Soares got exactly what he deserved.

I felt that Osipova's Tatiana was more of a dreamer and more likely to follow her heart when those dreams were engaged. Perhaps this was why there seemed more abandon in her pas de deux with Onegin. Nunez' Tatiana was, for me, more of a tentative young girl, still socially inept, who had not yet learned to interpret her own heart and feelings and this could also account for a certain reserve, even in her dream sequence. For me, one Tatiana was the prisoner of her own heartbreak whereas the other, even in the worst of her heartbreak, had the key to soar beyond. Both interpretations were completely viable and, perhaps, illustrated the difference between sympathy and empathy.

I agree with all of the earlier comments regarding the Olgas of Takeda and Naghdi, who brought such enjoyment to her interpretation and Ball did a fine job as Lensky but Muntagirov was stellar, stirring some of the same feelings that I recall from the long-ago days of seeing Dowell dance. Both Prince Gremins were dramatically convincing, with Hirano's appearing gentle whilst showing more of an aristocratic reserve and Gartside showing more of a man less restrained by the expectations of his class.

• Like 11

"For me, one Tatiana was the prisoner of her own heartbreak whereas the other, even in the worst of her heartbreak, had the key to soar beyond".

Please, dear Scherezade, can you tell me what that key is?

Because I'm young and heart broken too. Just not beautiful like Tatiana. :(

Did anyone see last night's performance?

Yes. It was my first time seeing Muntagirov's Lensky and I thought he was outstanding - he made everyone else on stage look ordinary. I can't describe his performance anywhere near as well as Luke Jennings in the Observer review (via the links on Sunday) so I'm not even going to try. 

To me the rest of it was rather ho hum. The mirror pdd was oddly flat and looked slightly fumbled, maybe something to do with the conductor but I couldn't be sure. Anyway, I didn't stay for Act 3, after all Lensky was dead :(

Edited by annamk
  • Like 3

I went last night, and thought it was really good. Had to tell the couple in front to please stop talking all the way through though! Muntagirov was spellbinding, and I am a big fan of his dancing. Ms Nunez and Mr Soares a wonderful couple onstage. Powerful, raw pathos at the end. I had a lump in my throat, and I am usually quite stony faced, imperturbable! They were really, really "feeling" it. The audience loved them.

• Like 4

Nina, basically Ms Craine was somewhat taken by Ms Osipova's performance, and by Mr Golding's:

"Yet in the ballroom scene, when Onegin has cruelly humiliated Tatiana by rejecting

her declaration of love, Osipova let rip in a solo so explosively full of hurt and pleading that it was almost as if I had never seen the choreography before. It’s this kind of raw release that makes her performances so dangerous and exciting.  Golding doesn’t quite know how to stand still and be someone else on stage, but the high-octane choreography of Cranko’s pas de deux for Onegin and Tatiana generated a powerful dramatic line in his dancing."

• Like 4

This afternoon's performance was tons better (imo) than the lacklustre one which I saw on the 28th (Nunez/Soares). It felt like a real ensemble piece. Osipova was so much more believable as the shy, bookish and inexperienced girl than Nunez and she made sense of and illuminated the choreography. It's the best thing that I've seen Golding do (a lot of good acting and good dancing and partnering) and the mirror pdd was thrilling. Ball and Naghdi were Love's Young Dream. You wanted to cry when Olga was flirting with Onegin. Ball's dancing and acting were really impressive and there was much more chemistry between him and Naghdi than between Muntagirov and Takada. This cast made you want to see the ballet again, which the other cast didn't.

• Like 7

I too found the performance of Matthew Ball very affecting indeed and Matthew Golding found a dancing and acting gear that I did not realise he had.

I can just imagine the former being a simply wonderful Romeo and I do hope that he gets the chance soon. He should do as, especially for a first outing in a major role (although one would never have guessed), he was amazing as Lensky.

What a lot of exciting young talent there is at all levels in the RB at present.

• Like 4

It was a superb Matinee performance, danced by Osipova/Golding/Naghdi/Ball. 

Golding was at his very best, I really took to him this time, his acting greatly improved upon since last Friday, his dancing really lovely (the leather frock does look stunning on him :)  Osipova, well what can I say, she was out of this world. She too improved (especially in Act 1 and 2) compared to last Friday and she has grown into her role. She was truly moving!

I agree with Capybara (I've said this in an earlier post,): Ball and Naghdi would make a dream couple as "Romeo and Juliet". If the RB are looking for a new young R&J couple it's them!  The Naghdi/Ball pd2 in Act 1 is the most beautiful one in this run. Muntagirov and Takada do not have their sweet, "young & innocent"chemistry, neither do the other casts. Their pd2 will stay in my memory for a long time.

Such a shame the Cranko Estate refuses a DVD release because in this cast they'd have an ideal cast.

• Like 5

Yes, the Lensky/Olga Act 1 pdd was really lovely today. The audience almost let out a collective sigh at the end. The Muntagirov/Takada one did not make much of an impact and actually looked a bit awkward in places. I'm a big fan of Muntagirov but, unfortunately (and this is said with the greatest respect to his partners), the partnerships with Takada and Hamilton thus far (he will be dancing with the latter again in the upcoming Balanchine) do not enhance his performances (although the performance with the former in Beauty was fine).

• Like 3