RBS junior associates auditions

happy days

Oh Katycustard i absolutely loved reading that, hope your dd really enjoyed the audition! You never know; in a few weeks time i'd love to be saying congratulations when your dd gets a place!!! (and even if she doesnt this time, at least she left her mark at Floral Street!! Hehe) ;) x

• Like 1

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its great ti look back at past experiences, here goes:

Ds sister was always doing workshops at RBS and ENB. Ds said he wanted to do one.

One came up at RBS (trying to keep this short)

Day came to go, I am in bed ill, so dad leaves early to take him from Didcot Parkway railway. My last words were 'good luck and don't be late!'

3/4's hour later I call him (thinking they are at Paddington) and they are still sat on the train at Didcot Parkway. Someone had jumped in front of a train ahead of them near Reading. Panic set in, feeling sick for ds.

Eventually they got to Covent Garden and Lifts weren't working......ds ran up all those stairs with dad in tow"(.

Got to RBS, Miss Wade was waiting and was really nice and ds only missed warm up.

I wrote to Miss Wade and said:

Dear Miss Wade,

Sorry Ds was late but someone jumped in front of the train ahead of ds and dad's train leaving 45 mins late.

When they got to Covent Garden they had to run up the stairs as lifts were out of order. So all in all ds said 'that was his warm up he missed' although his dad thought different, ( he was a little hot to say the least).

Ds son had a lovely day, thankyou.

Yours....

2 days later Ds dad got a call from Miss Wade saying my letter was the high light of their day, made them all laugh in office at RBS.

If ds had not attended workshop that day ds would not be going to WL, as on this day Miss Wade asked ds's dad to bring him for an audition for JA's.

Edited by Spax
  • Like 6

Well good luck to everyone waiting to hear now and hopefully not too long to wait ! We had our letter last year before elmhurst audition so hope it's around the same time :) my dd had a great day both times we had a really nice girly day this year and shopping in bullring so if its a no then at least we both had fun :) xxxx

• Like 1

Good luck everyone, we've already had the 'no' from Elmhurst so we're not really expecting anything from RBS, but you never know... :rolleyes:

Edited by Maria
  • Like 2

My dd had her royal ballet ja audition today, which all seemed to go well, and she came out really happy, and pleased, but I am still in shock, in what I saw when I got there, we were put in a room where we registered and were doing gentle warm up, my dd done a few stretches and a few jumps, and was happy, then we looked in the corner and all can describe is as a mother torturing her child, the daughter was stretching and he mother was pushing her so hard, that the girl had tears in her eyes! It got to the point where the royal ballet lady seemed to be getting distressed with it, and told her that the stretching she done was not needed, but the mother carried on, is this really needed, all the other children were watching, poor poor child, did make me laugh though, as the only stretch they did was froggy and box splits .

Oh dear at the moment I'm that mother stretching my daughter (though never ever at an audition ). She has been told that she has to work on flexibility over the summer though and given specific excercises and they have to be fine every day without fail.

This week she's been performing in a show 2 shows a day so we've been doing them in the dressing room.

But I veer off topic

Lots if well wishes to those suditioningvsnd that description of the day complete with nosebleed is one of the best things I've read for ages.

oh and yes i guess it `ok' if course to help our dd's to stretch...but not beat them in to it.. 

i help my dd stretch, because she wants me to . and i enjoy being involved in something she loves.

im not sure about the horror stories that went on , but during this morning auctions, i can say that yes she as happy , before they went in, there were a few girls warming up, but i wouldn't say showing off. 

my dd ca not stretch that much, and at first she was a little overwhelmed...but soon she decided to hold her head up and do the exercises shes happy doing ( stretches)...

over all really nice day.

:wub:

• Like 1

At the risk of appearing totally stupid...what are box splits? I'm imagining its normal splits but both legs absolutely flat on the floor....so flat pack box...is that where expression comes from?

Doing someone elses's hair to stay looking good would be my worst nightmare....and making sure shoes don't come undone. I totally understand the sonic hedgehog situation!

The little experience I have of this is helping out occasionally when there are local ballet exams and I usually rellogate myself to pinning on numbers(and even that can be nerve wracking trying to avoid pricking anyone) and making the tea!! It seems to be common practice for ribbons to be sewn into place now which I don't remember doing when younger. But I definitely stay away from hair....infact the Head of the school did everybody's hair personally and I could only look on in admiration.

Anyway Katycustard very entertaining reading and I really hope it's good news for your daughter who has at least already proved she has staying power and that whatever they are she is soon able to do these box split things.

I think that is absolutely terrible and on the verge of cruelty to make that young girl cry like that. She could damage her poor little body if she was crying. why are so many mums pushy? Sorry but I would have said 'excuse me but do you know your daughter is crying as you're hurting her'. We all help our children but not to that extent.

• Like 4

Box splits are.....back against the wall and then left leg against wall to your left and right leg against the wall to your right ") hope I have explained ok

Edited by Spax
  • Like 1

I think box splits are when your legs go straight out at the sides with your body facing forwards, and scissor splits are with one leg in front, one behind.

I'm glad you all enjoyed my post! I like to try and see the funny side of things.

I'm appalled at the mother forcing her child into stretching. The stuff we saw was a tad showy offy, certainly not cruel like that sounds. Reminds me of a magazine article I read about the little Russian gymnasts who are trained like that. :(

Anyway, the auditions are over! And so the waiting begins....

• Like 3

Thanks for explaining. Could be impossible for some people then! Quite a few children seem to come to Dance having done gymnastics first so I suppose these things start creeping in! Anyway fingers crossed for DD.

Picturesinthefirelight

I think "positive" and "gentle" stretching is fine and to be encouraged, its also much more enjoyable with a stretching buddy, me and my brother used to stretch together when we were younger, though there was a slight sibling rivalry and competitiveness!

One little girl I teach desperately wants to improve her flexibility, so I got lots of stretches and exercises for her to work on at home. And when I checked up on how she was doing with her mum, she was slightly embarrassed to admit that her little DD insists that she does all the exercises with her, much to her husbands amusement. The little girl likes to check her mum is also improving!

• Like 5

Balletmum16 - the fair is on the 15th June. Not advertised this year as they alternate it with a more formal open day which will be next year, but there's not a huge amount of difference - mainly no tours. Usually opens at about 11am, but maybe a bit later - I'm sure one of the WL parents can enlighten us. Lots of dancing on the lawn, a bbq, stalls, raffle, Pimms/champagne :-). I think this'll be my 12th. I first went when my son was son to be a JA (and a friend was about to start there) - a lady in the entrance queue asked my daughter if she wanted to go there, and my son piped up with "No, but I do". My most memorable one was dd dancing there with JAs on the same day as my ds while he was a student there in year 8. A day to remember.

• Like 6

Guest balletmum16

Oh what a shame! It's our last JA session that day. I'll definitely email White Lodge for a PTA contact though. My dd would love something 'royal ballet'. Thanks x

THE ROYAL BALLET WHITE LODGE SUMMER FAIR

11 - 5pm

Offical opening 12 noon

Dancing on the lawn by students of the Royal Ballet School

Tea and homemade cakes

Barbecued food

Royal Ballet School merchandise on sale

Variety of stalls

Raffle

Tombola

Tours of the Ballet Museum

• Like 1

KatyCustard,

Brilliant post! Even read it out loud to my husband.

Perhaps there's a blog you could start? You'd get a BIG following...  we get so wrapped up, it's great to step back and take a wry look at it all.

When's your DD's next audition 'cos I'm looking forward to your next 'report'!

Whoops, nearly forgot ... good luck to DD! Hope she gets a place, and if she does, you must do a weekly report for us all to read on a Sunday morning :)!

• Like 2

Katycustard,

Wonderful! I too read this out loud and we had a lovey giggle remembering the many (unsuccessful) auditions we have been too. But there is definitely a comedy sketch (or stretch!) waiting to be written here. It's tactical warfare !!! Thanks for sharing and I really do wish your dd lots of luck. X

• Like 1

Katycustard,

Wonderful! I too read this out loud and we had a lovey giggle remembering the many (unsuccessful) auditions we have been too. But there is definitely a comedy sketch (or stretch!) waiting to be written here. It's tactical warfare !!! Thanks for sharing and I really do wish your dd lots of luck. X

Or maybe a festival character dance! (Wonder how that would go down?!) The cogs are whirring in my brain as we speak.....

• Like 1

i wonder , i met a really nice lady on friday who's daughter is at WL .. 

im sorry i can not remember your name, please message me to say hello.  also your freind who wanted a placement for her fashion daughter! 

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Box splits are.....back against the wall and then left leg against wall to your left and right leg against the wall to your right ") hope I have explained ok

Forgot to say sit down on the floor.

I hope nobody tried my instructions........oh dear could be painful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 8

Well done. My dd got offer swl for year 5 and nothing came of it. She auditioned again and got swl for year 6, then we got a phone call in the middle of the summer holidays offering her a place. She's really enjoyed her year as a JA and is now on the swl for mids! Good luck and fingers crossed :)

• Like 1

Well done for the waiting list place Twiglet - although I understand your frustration. I'll have a look for a previous thread about waiting lists - we've talked about them before - probably this time last year!

My son got in off the waiting list and later went onto go to WL, then Elmhurst and is now a professional ballet dancer, so don't give up hope (although other son also on waiting list didn't get in, eventually gave up ballet and now wants to be a speech & language therapist!)

• Like 2