RBS junior associates auditions

happy days

I agree with you on that. It certainly helps (if your get a rejection) knowing that the majority are in the same boat as you. What frustrates me slightly is all the speculation about whether a particular child has the right attributes - every year we have the same discussions about whether people's children have the right feet, legs, neck, torso, etc etc. There's nothing you can do about that. Or if I go to that centre/audition will I stand a better chance? You just have to try, and try again if you like, and see what happens, in the knowledge that very few children, statistically, are what the schools are looking for.

Always reminds me a bit of a phrase your hear in dog showing "Doesn't matter what happens, you still take the best dog home" ;-). And you keep trying all the time you enjoy it. Yes the aim might be to become a champion, but most dogs won't make it so there's no point taking part if you don't enjoy it.

Sorry, rambling.....

• Like 8

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Julie and Pups_mum,

Both of those posts are exactly what I needed to see tonight. I've got my DD asleep in bed next to me (special treat to help with the nerves!), ballet shoes in their bag on the kitchen table, leotard, bun net, grips and hairspray all laid out next to it, alongside the letter, which I've read 20 times this evening, just in case I've missed a vital piece of info!

We've been really calm and kept busy today, and now that it's actually here all I can think is how proud I am of her just for trying. I think at this point I just feel that this experience on it's own is worth so much that the outcome is almost (almost!) irrelevant. Her primary school have been lovely, and have made a bit of a fuss of her, just for auditioning (I don't think they understand that they all get an audition!), as she has struggled academically and has a lot of support for reading and writing. So she knows she's got people rooting for her, and tomorrow is just going to be FUN. Afterwards we'll have lunch in Covent Garden and then maybe go to the aquarium or whatever we fancy doing. Sorry, I know I'm rambling.

Oh, as an aside, I was hugely impressed by the way the letter from the RBS was worded, so sensible but so lovely at the same time.

I'll report back tomorrow!

• Like 6

Ok so now we've done it I'm wondering what all the fuss was about.... :P

No. Seriously, be prepared for a blow-by-blow account!

First thing - I am rubbish at ballet hair. My DD hasn't done an exam yet, so I've never had to do it before and for some inexplicable reason she tried to give herself a side fringe with disastrous consequences about 3 weeks ago, so I dutifully bought a bun net, some hair gel and spray and managed to get it looking passable. However by the time we were in the taxi from St. Pancras it was sticking up like Sonic the Hedgehog. However we found a loo in the Starbucks round the corner and repaired it. As we walked towards Floral Street we spotted several "bunheads" but they all seemed to be leaving, and I managed to get a photo of my DD outside the RBS front door from the other side of the street with no-one around! We made our way past the receptionist and as we came out on to the first floor landing, lo and behold we were greeted by a little girl back flipping across the foyer :rolleyes: .

So we made our way into a dance studio (it had a barre and mirrors and everything - very exciting for us as my DD does her lessons in a church hall with a portable barre! :D ). There were bleacher style seats that had little clusters of girls and their adults sitting waiting, and we went over to the table. A very nice lady registered my DD. Then she explained that we would wait here, that there were two panel members and one teacher who would be watching her and that there would be nothing too hard.  She gave my DD her numbers and then quite clearly said "Now please don't worry about doing to much warming up. A couple of gentle stretches is fine but we really don't want to see you doing anything else because the class includes a warm up." You have to remember that my DD and I are total novices at this, so I probably shouldn't have been surprised when, a few minutes after being told this, six or seven of the girls (most of whom seemed to know each other) began to drop in to box splits and do that high leg kick thingy and all manner of weird and wonderful stretches. My DD, already nervous, got quite tearful ("oh Mummy look how amazing they are") and then promptly had a nose bleed! So I hurried her down into the foyer where a lady in a suit saw us and ran for some tissues. When she came back I said "Oh thank you so much, she's just a bit nervous; we've never done anything like this before." and the lady said to my DD "Oh dear we've never had a nose bleed before, there's nothing to worry about." My DD replied "But they're all amazing doing box splits and I can't do it!" and the lady said "Well they really shouldn't be, we have told everyone not to do to much warming up". We went back into the hall to find the original lady asking everyone to stop warming up... not on account of us I may add, as she didn't know about the nose bleed or about our exchange with the lady in the foyer. (Who turned out to be one of the panel. :o)

Anyway, nosebleeds and tears out of the way, a gentleman arrived and asked us all to sit down and thanked us all for coming. He explained that they would like to offer everyone a place ( ;) tactful!) but that they would only choose a few, and just to relax and enjoy it and try again next year if we liked. Then they lined them up in numerical order and as she went off I saw my DD stand tall and smile and knew she'd be fine.

We then were moved to the next door studio where we waited (I was SO tempted to do a bit of barre work, just so I could say I had!) I had a chat with one of the ladies volunteering in the "shop" selling RBS stuff. For "chat" read "made a complete idiot of my self". Why was I so nervous? They weren't auditioning me! She was a lovely lady with a daughter in year 10 at White Lodge. Interestingly her daughter was never a JA, but did London Youth Ballet.

So I whiled away the hour by reading the RBS report from 2010/11 that they left out for us and before I knew it they were back. My DD's default position about everything is "it was alright" but through the day we have gleaned that, yes it was in fact all stuff she's done before, that she thought the lady who helped us when her nose bled was kind and kept smiling at her ("but not because I was the best, she probably just felt sorry for me"), that she enjoyed working with a mirror "because I can finally see what I look like!", and that even if it's a "no" she wants to up the number of ballet lessons she does a week from 1 to 3 and try again next year. Phew! Not sure I can go through it again! Results out early July, or a bit earlier if they can.

I bought her a RBS black hoodie (£20!!!!), then we went to the Indian next door and had a good laugh about it all. We went and watched a hilarious street performer (the pogo stick guy, seen it before but still very funny), and all the nerves and anxiety went as we laughed - a really good way to finish off.

Phew. There you have it. Sorry to ramble but it may be informative for other newbies like us one day! (We're experts now, clearly.)

(PS I make no judgement on those who warm up with box splits etc. If my daughter had more confidence and could do them she'd have been down there with the best of them. ;) )

• Like 31

Guest Autumn days

Wow, katycustard, this is one of the most refreshing posts that I have read in a very long time!! I admire you for posting with such honesty and candidness and very much hope that your daughter gets a place.

• Like 4

What a brilliant account of the experience, clearly you both had a great day out and enjoyed yourselves which is exactly what you were meant to do and not worry about the "what ifs". Please try not to mug the postman as you wait for the result now! Well done to your dd!

• Like 1

This has been very interesting and extremely helpful - my DD is less nervous now she has some idea of what she will be doing. She has been practicing her flexibility exercises like mad - she's great at froggy legs both ways and king cobra and the stretching both arms and legs whilst keeping back flat to the floor, but she's struggling with box splits a bit (has noticeably improved but it's not perfect). She's just taking it all in her stride as she knows that with 18 months of lessons for 45 mins a week she's very inexperienced. We had the email confirmation a few days ago, so we're just waiting on a date now!

Best of luck to your daughter, hope she gets a place. Mine also has random nosebleeds (on my cream carpet at the weekend! )

I'm sure that even flexible kids can't always do box splits without practising, they must surely be able to tell in other ways? Whatever the outcome she's done so well just to go into the audition smiling and happy

• Like 1

Thank you everybody, glad I made you smile! It's such a relief to off load to people who understand!

Spax I remember that you'd said before (or was it someone else?) that box splits are not the be all and end all. I did try and reassure her but I suppose the nerves took hold. There's no doubt that those girls are good dancers and I have a suspicion may be regulars on the dance competition circuit!

Edited to add - REEM good luck to your DD tomorrow! You'll have loads of fun! (Any spots of blood on the carpet are ours.)

Edited by KatyCustard
  • Like 3

I loved helping out on the PTA table - watching all those nervous parents, but enjoying the chance to chat to them, hopefully putting them at ease.

A great account of your day - thank you so much for taking the time to post it on here.

• Like 1

Hey katycustard!, blood, sweat and tears, nice work!! Now it's welcome to the wait...we've already been waiting a month!...

I love the sound of floral street, much more glam than here up north!

Good luck and well done for getting through it. I forgot to mention my previous post that I did the whole thing with a half potty trained, terrible two, toddler for company too! Some of that was quite desperately embarrassing!!

Guest balletmum16

Good luck to all! JulieW is the PTA merchandise available to buy anywhere? My daughter is going into her third year as a JA and it would be lovely to get her something. Thanks

Balletmum16 - can your get to the summer fair? They'll have it there. Otherwise, why not email the school and ask them for contact details - it's a market they're missing out on (the existing JAs) .

Oh KatyCustard, I laughed and laughed at your post! So sorry that as we suspected your DD did have to cope with 'competitive warming up' - even despite the RBS staff telling everyone quite clearly that it shouldn't be done ;-) - but she clearly had an amazing day and can say with truth that she is now a permanent part of Floral Street!

• Like 1