The Winter's Tale, Royal Ballet Spring '24

4 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Yesterday I watched the nice long rehearsal video from the 2018 run on ROH's YouTube which featured Fumi and Akane. Akane is absolutely beautiful in that video - she literally floats through the choreography! I'm sad that she isn't performing in this run but hope to see her back soon.

She was indeed amazing in that Insight; Wheeldon said how wonderful it was to see her dance his choreography. So I'm also sad that  she isn't dancing it this time, especially as I neglected to see her dance the role in 2018.

😞

• Like 4

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks. I was hoping for the 2h45 to include the curtain calls but I suppose as long as it doesn't go over the 3 hour mark I'll be okay for the train. (Are there any repertory ballets other than Giselle & Nutcracker that run significantly under 3 hours?!)

Depends what you mean by repertory but La Sylphide is notably short and therefore often paired with a one-acter, and Fille isn't much over two hours in its more usual two act incarnation.

• Thanks 1

If anyone fancies saying hello tonight, I will be in the Floral Hall near the small stairs that go down to the old part of the House.  Dark hair, black trousers, loud dark pink top!  There are usually a few of us around the table, but don't let that stop you!!  Either way, enjoy the show.  :)

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Depends what you mean by repertory but La Sylphide is notably short and therefore often paired with a one-acter, and Fille isn't much over two hours in its more usual two act incarnation.

I'll add that to my list of reasons why I wish the RB would revive Fille!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bridiem said:

Yes - I don't know about elsewhere, but in 'my' part of the Amphi WT tickets are more expensive than Swan Lake. I really don't understand the thinking behind that.

I think this was one of a number of ‘missteps’ during the early phases of experimental pricing which has been corrected for later phases - not that it helps with Winter’s Tale prices. But I think there remain a number of missteps which ought to be addressed for 2024-25, particularly stalls circle bench seats for ballet which are more expensive than for opera and, if I recall correctly, the Pappano Gala.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I think this was one of a number of ‘missteps’ during the early phases of experimental pricing which has been corrected for later phases - not that it helps with Winter’s Tale prices. But I think there remain a number of missteps which ought to be addressed for 2024-25, particularly stalls circle bench seats for ballet which are more expensive than for opera and, if I recall correctly, the Pappano Gala.

Yes, I was stunned to find that for the Pappano Gala (top public price £500) my stalls circle bench seat is £20 cheaper than for Swan Lake (top price £175). As I said on the previous page, the relative prices for different productions make no sense.

• Like 2

Hello 

I noticed the casting for the 3rd MAY 2023 has 

Mamillius / Prince of Sicilia

Rafferty Smale 

Can anyone advise who this dancer is, I have never  saw his name before 

Thank you in advance 

15 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Pricing is in the Friends' email just arrived so I look forward to your thoughts on it John after all the work you did last year.

It’s a lot to do with the music for me that makes it so soulless - it just gives me nothing except a mild irritation.  I haven’t bothered booking for this, I’ve seen it on the stream and enjoyed it to some extent, but not enough to fork out for those prices.  The cast I was most keen to see were also only dancing Monday - Wednesday and I just can’t come up to London at that point in the week when I have to go to work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hephaistion03 said:

Hello 

Rafferty Smale 

Thank you in advance 

@hephaistion03 pretty sure Mamillius is a child in the Winter’s Tale, so I’d imagine Rafferty is one of the White Lodge students… do correct me if not! 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, hephaistion03 said:

Hello 

Rafferty Smale 

Thank you in advance 

Mamillius is Leontes and Hermione's first child- a young boy.  Portrayed by a Royal Ballet School White Lodge (lower school) student. Usually two boys alternate in the role, there may be a third who covers the role as understudy. It's a mime role but very important. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

She was indeed amazing in that Insight; Wheeldon said how wonderful it was to see her dance his choreography.

Yes, I think he said she was too good/performance ready and there wasn’t much feedback to give at some points!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I'll add that to my list of reasons why I wish the RB would revive Fille!

Although, in the 2005/2007 runs, it was always second after a one act piece 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alison said:

Surely not?  I don't remember Fille sharing the bill with anything else this century.

Sorry, thought I was responding to Sylphide. My bad 

Wendy Ellis broke both wrists in Fille I think I remember… slipping on daffodil ‘juice’ after daffs had been thrown for bryony brind in i think afternoon of a faun. Is that robbins or Balanchine? (With Ashley Page) I think. My brain!! I know she finished and was pictured in a hospital bed next day in the paper!

Poor Wendy!!! 
I know breaking just one wrist can be challenging in ones every day activities but two wrists must have been a nightmare😳😱

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

Wendy Ellis broke both wrists in Fille I think I remember… slipping on daffodil ‘juice’ after daffs had been thrown for bryony brind in i think afternoon of a faun. Is that robbins or Balanchine? (With Ashley Page) I think. My brain!! I know she finished and was pictured in a hospital bed next day in the paper!

I think you're referring to 27 Feb 1982 (yes I have it on my list!) when Wendy Ellis broke her wrists in The Two Pigeons, which followed La Bayadère with Nureyev and Brind (now that's what I call a bill!). In fact Ellis was replaced by Lesley Collier, who I was in the stage box and realised something serious had happened.

Edited by bridiem
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

My apologies, @hephaistion03 and thank you @OnePigeon....just did a little digging into the background- some corrections to make to my first answer. The role of Mamillius was created by Wheeldon on Joe Parker, who like Rafferty Smale was a Junior Associate when he first played the role aged 9 in 2014. I didn't see the first run of the ballet but caught the second run, when Joe reprised the role and he was at White Lodge by then. He's now in his final year at RBS I believe. (He was in the RBS Summer Performance last year at ROH). He performed in all the shows in the first run (11 performances according to the ROH database- what a trouper!)

The role of Mamillius was shared between Parker and  2 other boys in 2016- it doesn't seem like the other two boys went on to take up ballet training; one still acts in plays at his school and I can't find any updates on the other. Sasha Dobrynin-Lait and Lewis Chan shared the role in the 2018 revival- both are currently in White Lodge. So Rafferty Smale follows in Parker's footsteps taking on the role as a Junior Associate. Looking forward to this revival! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Well that was dramatic!! Steer clear of Cesar, he looks quite incensed by something!!

He certainly brought the drama! He and Lauren were brilliant together. I didn’t know what to expect when I first saw the casting of this pairing as I’m not sure if they’ve danced together before, but I was extremely impressed tonight.

The whole cast was brilliant of course - it goes without saying that Marcelino and Francesca were spectacular, and I loved Marco as Brother Clown, with Meaghan as Shepherdess - I was hoping to see him cast in this role. Act 2 was so joyous and lively.

Wonderful performance overall!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

He certainly brought the drama! He and Lauren were brilliant together. I didn’t know what to expect when I first saw the casting of this pairing as I’m not sure if they’ve danced together before, but I was extremely impressed tonight.

The whole cast was brilliant of course - it goes without saying that Marcelino and Francesca were spectacular, and I loved Marco as Brother Clown, with Meaghan as Shepherdess - I was hoping to see him cast in this role. Act 2 was so joyous and lively.

Wonderful performance overall!

I agree. A wonderful, dramatic and joyous night.  Great to have Cesar back on full fettle!  

• Like 13

Thank you for the lovely photos, Rob S! I also was at the performance tonight and liked it enormously. Lauren Cuthbertson was divine and Cesar Corrales very impressive in his jealousy. I liked Melissa Hamilton as well, especially her duo with Cesar in the 3d act (that is, Paulina's and Leontes' duo). Francesca Hayward and Marcelino Sambe were very good and I also liked Marco Masciari and Meaghan Grace Hinkis.

• Like 3

Realised I forgot to mention Melissa Hamilton and Calvin Richardson (incidentally one of my favourite Manon pairings this run) A lot has been said here about Richardson’s grace and fluidity, this was definitely displayed to great effect at Polixenes. I really enjoyed his dancing with Cesar, I would like to see them cast in more things opposite each other - same for Cuthbertson who had great chemistry with both of them, I think.

Melissa Hamilton’s acting as Paulina was superb, from her confrontation with Leontes to recognising Perdita at the end - loved it.

• Like 12

Tonight was my first time seeing Winter's Tale live, having seen it at the cinema back in 2014, the first time I saw an RB cinecast. I was surprised at how much of the production I actually remembered a decade on. A decade ago I found Acts I & III fairly interesting but thought Act II had too much dancing that did nothing to further the plot. I definitely enjoyed the piece more tonight than I did a decade ago, especially Act II. I think this is probably partly due to now knowing who all the dancers are (back in 2014 I knew the Principals as names in newspaper reviews & interviews but that was about it) & partly because after 6 years of regular ballet-watching I have become a lot more accustomed to dancing for the sake of dancing!

I thought all the cast gave very good performances but I especially liked Melissa Hamilton, who I thought was lovely as Paulina. I think she's a beautiful dancer & regret that she does not get cast, or only gets cast in small roles, in so much of the repertoire.

• Like 19

Fabulous cast tonight across the board, and so happy to see Cesar back on stage and in full scene stealing mode. That man certainly knows how to do jealousy!

In the other corner, Lauren Cuthbertson brought her own, very particular brand of gentle humanity to a Hermione who was conscience as much as victim, with yet another superlative performance from Melissa Hamilton, whose Paulina blazed and consoled as both the angel of mercy and the sword of truth. 

There was, as has been mentioned previously, much frolicking in Bohemia, but if anyone can pull off a frolic, Frankie’s fleet-footed delicacy and Marcelino’s spirited abandon must surely place both of them top of the list, which must also now include Marco Masciari, who as Brother Clown left a very potent calling card for future castings, and although Meaghan Grace Hinkis doesn’t usually do it for me, Wheeldon’s choreography, or perhaps the two roles in which she has been cast - the shepherdess in Winter’s Tale and Gertrudis in LWFC - seem to show her at her best.

A quick mention too for Calvin Richardson’s Polyxenes, who was not in the mood for frolicking in either Act 2 or Act 3 - well he cheered up double fast on discovering that Perdita was a princess not a peasant - and to be honest had very little to do in either of these Acts but really impressed me in Act 1.

I still feel that it is difficult to make an emotional connection with this work and on reflection would say that this is partly due to the stylised nature of the two bookending Acts in the Sicilian Court with the rose-tinted peasant scenes sandwiched inbetween, and partly down to the music, which for all that it fits the action on stage remains completely unmemorable. 

Never mind, last night’s Winter’s Tale was wonderfully dramatic, brilliantly danced and acted - chilling and cheering in turn - and beautifully played. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I've seen WT several times, but try as I might just now, could not recall any of the music at all:  so you're right I think, and this must be a major reason why many posts report a lack of 'emotional connection'.

However, I always loved the act 2 sheep-shearing frolic. There has been little joyful frolicking about on the stage recently  (or indeed anywhere) so I look forward to that.

• Like 5

Whilst all the leads are owed much credit for a super performance, I tip my hat to the corps dancers too, as they danced the group scenes better than I recall, which added even more to a great evening.

• Like 14

19 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Whilst all the leads are owed much credit for a super performance, I tip my hat to the corps dancers too, as they danced the group scenes better than I recall, which added even more to a great evening.

And, unlike the principals, have to do it twice on days with matinee and evening performances and, again unlike the principals, have to do every show and not just two or three performances in a run…. 

….. just saying ….

• Like 5

Rob: As the lady of the house will attest from days of yore, you speak truly.  Bourréing like mad in the final act of Swans, whilst thinking "We have to do this again tonight."   Usually on Wednesdays and Saturdays, I think. 

• Like 4