Royal Ballet MacMillan triple bill: Danses Concertantes, Different Drummer, Requiem 20 March to 13 April 2024

Well my vision of dance hell would be to watch Creature for eternity! ( sorry ENB and all the wonderful dancers who’ve danced in it!!)

• Like 5

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Rob S said:

they were rather good last time so you probably should look 

Having now gone through my photos, I can safely say that as expected most of them are not good, and that's after I deleted the 50% that were totally out of focus. Several of the Different Drummer ones looked like those ones ENB published of their Giselle that deliberately had massive blurring, except in my case it wasn't deliberate! Requiem was not helped by the couple next to me who kept on thinking the curtain calls were finished, got up to get ready to go, blocking my view, then realised the curtain calls were continuing & sat down again. So here are a handful that actually turned out okayish & don't duplicate your much better ones. (Moderators: I hope that's okay but if it's too much of a duplication then please feel free to delete.)

It's nice to see non-Principal dancers who don't get flowers that often getting some. I would guess it means a bit more to them than to the Principals who are used to getting bouquets at every performance.

P1700942.jpg

P1710028.jpg

I think someone on here, though I can't now find who, said that Sambe looked quite emotional at his curtain call & I agree. He looks more like someone who's just finished Manon or Mayerling than a one-acter.

P1710033.jpg

It's at this point that I'm glad modern photos are digital & don't have to be sent off to be developed because 2 loincloth-clad chaps within 2 batches of photos might take a bit of explaining!

P1710120.jpg

P1710139.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Heaven - Romeo and Juliet (with my favourite pairing, of course!)

Not so heavily - Anastasia Act III (Haven't found anything I dislike as much as that so far!) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Having now gone through my photos, I can safely say that as expected most of them are not good, and that's after I deleted the 50% that were totally out of focus. Several of the Different Drummer ones looked like those ones ENB published of their Giselle that deliberately had massive blurring, except in my case it wasn't deliberate! Requiem was not helped by the couple next to me who kept on thinking the curtain calls were finished, got up to get ready to go, blocking my view, then realised the curtain calls were continuing & sat down again. So here are a handful that actually turned out okayish & don't duplicate your much better ones. (Moderators: I hope that's okay but if it's too much of a duplication then please feel free to delete.)

It's nice to see non-Principal dancers who don't get flowers that often getting some. I would guess it means a bit more to them than to the Principals who are used to getting bouquets at every performance.

P1700942.jpg

P1710028.jpg

I think someone on here, though I can't now find who, said that Sambe looked quite emotional at his curtain call & I agree. He looks more like someone who's just finished Manon or Mayerling than a one-acter.

P1710033.jpg

It's at this point that I'm glad modern photos are digital & don't have to be sent off to be developed because 2 loincloth-clad chaps within 2 batches of photos might take a bit of explaining!

P1710120.jpg

P1710139.jpg

They are brilliant! Well done! :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah yes, the loincloths.  I have a feeling they're less close to individual skin-colour than in previous runs.  Anyone else think so?

And the other thing I've been meaning to ask: I keep looking for a bit in Different Drummer where Woyzeck is hearing the Freemasons hammering underground, but haven't spotted it as yet.  Was I imagining it was there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Well my vision of dance hell would be to watch Creature for eternity! ( sorry ENB and all the wonderful dancers who’ve danced in it!!)

Oh, @LinMM I am so with you on this!

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

Anastasia Act III (Haven't found anything I dislike as much as that so far!) 

@Linnzi5 in that case you obviously haven’t seen Creature. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, alison said:

Ah yes, the loincloths.  I have a feeling they're less close to individual skin-colour than in previous runs.  Anyone else think so?

And the other thing I've been meaning to ask: I keep looking for a bit in Different Drummer where Woyzeck is hearing the Freemasons hammering underground, but haven't spotted it as yet.  Was I imagining it was there?

I think it’s the point where he does a sort of handstand and lowers his head/ear to the ground …I’m sure there are pics of this 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I haven't. Is it that bad? 😂

Oh yes it is and then some! Think the fourth ring of the ninth circle of hell on endless and merciless repeat and you’re getting close. One of the hardest things I have ever done was to sit through Creature to the very end. The performances were superlative but no power on earth could induce me to endure two such hours of unrelenting queasiness, uneasiness and soul-destroying torture ever again. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I haven't. Is it that bad? 😂

If you have a hankering for watching a female ballet dancer mopping the floor for the better part of an hour, then it’s mesmerising!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

If you have a hankering for watching a female ballet dancer mopping the floor for the better part of an hour, then it’s mesmerising!

Not to mention the ear-shredding 'music' !!  

Anyway, back to MacMillan now please.  :)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Casting on the website currently showing that Lauren Cuthbertson will dance in Requiem tomorrow.  😊

Really tempted to go again tomorrow. Such beautiful dancing.....

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 6

There’s always the cinema relay where I’m rather spoiled: Keswick screen tomorrow’s live relay; Rheged, with it’s enormous screen, shows the ‘live’ relay on Thursday; and both offer the Sunday afternoon matinee. I’m going to Saturday’s final performance so if the train plus the bus replacement from Oxenholme run to time on Sunday, I could make Rheged’s encore. Having not seen the Triple Bill since opening night, I’m delighted to have chance to catch two performances and possibly repeats of the cinema relay.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

There’s always the cinema relay where I’m rather spoiled: Keswick screen tomorrow’s live relay; Rheged, with it’s enormous screen, shows the ‘live’ relay on Thursday; and both offer the Sunday afternoon matinee. I’m going to Saturday’s final performance so if the train plus the bus replacement from Oxenholme run to time on Sunday, I could make Rheged’s encore. Having not seen the Triple Bill since opening night, I’m delighted to have chance to catch two performances and possibly repeats of the cinema relay.

Also looking forward to the relay tomorrow on the nice big screen.  Both central Leeds cinemas are showing it so I'm spoilt for choice.  

Edited by Tango Dancer
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

If only they were showing outside of the UK…

I do sympathise @Vanartus. I know it’s not the same but hopefully at some point there’ll be a recording on the ROH Stream and/or a DVD.

• Thanks 1

What a shame, although I had been expecting it.  Never mind, I'm sure Lamb will be great - and we assume there's one recording of that cast safely in the bag anyway.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, alison said:

What a shame, although I had been expecting it.  Never mind, I'm sure Lamb will be great - and we assume there's one recording of that cast safely in the bag anyway.

Lamb was wonderful last week.  

• Like 9

4 hours ago, alison said:

Sarah Lamb was exquisite last week, in my opinion. I was looking forward to seeing Cuthbertson but am not disappointed that I will see Lamb again. She was so angelic and ethereal. 

• Like 8

Really looking forward to seeing Requiem again - I went to opening night March and was so moved by it that I've spent the whole day deciding whether or not to snag a last-minute ticket to see it again... In the end I did! I've never seen Sarah live so very much looking forward to it.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Sadly I can't go again tonight either to ROH or a cinema relay after all  but for those who can, it will be great - even the bleak/harrowing story of Different Drummer notwithstanding! Besides Cuthbertson sitting out Requiem, it looks like James Hay will be sitting out Different Drummer again too. 

Aside from the main leads in Danses Concertantes, do look out for Zucchetti, Dean, and Maeda in the pas de trois in Danses Concertantes, Francisco Serrano as Drum.Major in DD, and Lukas B Brændsrød as Lamb's strong, gentle partner in Sanctus, and of course Lamb, Hamilton, Bracewell and Sissens... simply beautiful in Requiem. Hope the camera work takes in the subtle details of Hayward and Sambe's excellent solo dances.

Enjoy, everyone! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, alison said:

Cinema cast sheet seemingly a bit of a work of fiction tonight ☹️

The ROH says:

"All casts subject to change. For full up-to-date casting,
find the full cast sheet online."

That was on the ROH site linked online cast sheet, which yes does look a little Once Upon A Timeish. *shrugs*

https://static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/MacMillan-Celebrated/Cinema/MacMillan-Celebrated-Cinema-Cast-Sheet-2024.pdf

I'm assuming there is another online cast sheet somewhere, though cinemas in my experience download in advance and print off early! 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, alison said:

Cinema cast sheet seemingly a bit of a work of fiction tonight ☹️

Indeed it was! 

I really enjoyed the cinema relay tonight - I think the three ballets worked well on the big screen and also thought the camera direction was excellent. Wonderful performances from all. The only slight technical hitch was in Danses Concertantes, where at the beginning, three small sections had distorted sound - wasn't a big deal for me. 

Congratulations to all dancers. I have to single out Isabella Gasparini - she really showed no nerves and was such a professional. I like her dancing and thought she did a great job, at did those around her.

I felt Different Drummer really came across well on the big screen. There is such a lot of acting and I think I preferred on the screen to live at ROH, as it seemed more intimate and emotive so close up. Special mentions to Francesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambé and Francisco Serrano - they were all amazing. I couldn't take my eyes off of Hayward.

Requiem was as beautiful as the last time I saw it. Stand outs for me were Melissa Hamilton - she was lyrical and so controlled, Sarah Lamb - so angelic, ethereal and beautiful, Lukas Braendsrod - so powerful and strong and, finally, William Bracewell - his solo was absolutely stunning, so controlled and emotive, full of his usual grace and elegance. 

What a fantastic evening! Congratulations to all.

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 9

Well just back from the cinema where I had a lovely private showing because I was the only person in the cinema tonight.  Shame it wasn't better attended.  I didn't get a cinema cast sheet because they hadn't got them.  

So I'm going by the cast on the website.  Also I am terrible at working out who is who as I'm rubbish at remembering faces.  Especially if it's not clear what part they take or their character doesn't have a name.  So apologies for not being able to credit everyone I liked by name. 

So I enjoyed Dances Concertante very much.  I wasn't massively keen on the costumes and those hats were a bit weird but I thought it was a lot of fun.   Chap in yellow and chap in green both stood out for me for their excellent footwork and technique.  Isabelle Gasparini was exquisite in the lead - she has such lovely lines.  

I didn't like Different Drummer - dull, depressing and really too long and Schoenberg doesn't do much for me.  Francesca Hayward is a lovely luminous dancer with beautiful expressive technique and gorgeous arms.  I felt she had slightly more chemistry with the drum major than with Woyzeck myself.  Francisco Serrano also was really charismatic and attractive as the drum major and some lovely jumps - he's going places I think.  Marci as always showed such depth of feeling and definitely evoked a lot of sympathy so I felt he was really throwing himself into it - he's such a great dramatic dancer.  I just wish I'd found the piece more engaging. 

Requiem was rather lovely.  Sarah Lamb was absolutely excellent, such a lovely clear and controlled dancer, every gesture fitting where it should and really mattering.  William Bracewell was lovely and moved beautifully and had such expressiveness with every movement.  The taller chap she danced with was also very impressive and seemed to be so focused on embodying the movement (nice cheekbones too I noted).   I also thought Melissa Hamilton was dancing with exceptional musicality and loved Joseph Sissens in the Libera Me.  I think the quality of the singing also really transformed it and the young baritone soloist particularly impressed me, such a lovely tone and good diction.  

So overall a good evening, one fun, one moving and one that was bearable but dull.  I'm really glad I went.  

• Like 9

Just back from the cinema showing of the MacMillan triple bill, having not seen these three one act ballets before it was a interesting, intense evening, a few reflections

Danse Concertantes -  A delightful, fizzy and sparkly ballet,  amazing costumes and wonderful performance by Isabella Gasparini, she really owned the role, just lots of fun

Different Drummer - A very different kettle of fish, intense performances from Marcelino Sambé and Francesca Hayward, would probably not want to watch it again perhaps but glad to of see it just once.

Requiem - Absolutely beautiful and sublime dancing, a wonderful marriage of music and dance,  Fauré's Requiem was sung wonderfully by the ROH Chorus, no wobble at all. Sarah Lamb and Melissa Hamilton were amazing, just really emotional, deep felt dancing, I could so clearly see the William Blake images which inspired it but also at points I couldn't help but think of Caravaggio's religious paintings, of Pietà, William Bracewell was like a Caravaggio figure come to life. It made me cry a bit as well as in December last year my father died and the subject of the ballet about loss, reflection but also coming through the other end transformed resonated a lot, I feel like I need to watch the piece again to understand it more.

I enjoyed the interval interviews as well, particularly the talk with Ross MacGibbon about filming ballet at the Royal Opera House and how it's changed over the years.

In conclusion a interesting tour through MacMillan's chorographic journey

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2