Royal Ballet MacMillan triple bill: Danses Concertantes, Different Drummer, Requiem 20 March to 13 April 2024

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cast Change for 4 April 7.30pm performance  (tomorrow!).....

Requiem: Sarah Lamb replaces Lauren Cuthbertson (in the Pie Jesu role in the white dress). 

Ms Cuthbertson is still currently listed to dance next week on 9 April. (Info from ROH website) 

• Thanks 2

On 28/03/2024 at 03:47, Dawnstar said:

I'm very glad I saw this cast first as I thought Lamb in particular was so visually well-suited to her role & I'm not sure I'll find Cuthbertson quite as much so.

I now feel rather guilty about saying this given I'm going to get to see Lamb replacing Cuthbertson tomorrow. Given tomorrow's performance is supposed to be the back-up filming for the cinecast on the 9th, could it potentially be an issue if Lamb danced tomorrow & Cuthbertson on 9th?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I now feel rather guilty about saying this given I'm going to get to see Lamb replacing Cuthbertson tomorrow. Given tomorrow's performance is supposed to be the back-up filming for the cinecast on the 9th, could it potentially be an issue if Lamb danced tomorrow & Cuthbertson on 9th?

Don’t feel guilty. I think, though it’s sad that dancers cannot dance (for whatever reason) when they’re scheduled to, that it’s ok to feel the replacement dancer is an excellent or exciting choice. This has happened to me before. It’s also happened the other way too. It’s the nature of live performance, I think. 

I’d think that if tomorrow is being filmed as a back-up, that it could be an issue if Cuthbertson isn’t dancing tomorrow but is next week. I always presumed that the back-up is so that can be broadcast if something awful happens technically? I suppose the casting is always subject to last minute changes anyway?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I’d think that if tomorrow is being filmed as a back-up, that it could be an issue if Cuthbertson isn’t dancing tomorrow but is next week. I always presumed that the back-up is so that can be broadcast if something awful happens technically? I suppose the casting is always subject to last minute changes anyway

Partially this (though I think if there is a technical issue on the night that back up possibly wouldn't help, though it's there for Encore showing at cinemas) and the live broadcast is the one lined up for DVD issue?  Plenty of editing can be done with two films. If things go wrong, yes there's a back up and the revenue stream won't be affected. Also I suspect it's a camera rehearsal, to see if planned shots work or need to be modified. 

There must be precedent, didn't Fumi Kaneko take Lauren Cuthbertson's place as Aurora for the cinema broadcast, very last minute? That was pre lockdown. I don't know if so last  minute she also did the 'trial' filming.  I'm sure a trawl of the archives will bring the answer. 

• Thanks 1

IIRC, it was VERY last-minute, I was going to say for the cinema broadcast only, but I'm trying to remember whether Cuthbertson did the previous show.  I don't think she did, but did someone else cover?  Actually, I think she did pull out, but hoped to be back for the cinema, but wasn't.  I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will confirm.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Checking @Saodan's website, Cuthbertson did her 2 previous Nutcrackers that season & only missed the cinema performance.

Of Nut or Sleeping Beauty?  Fumi definitely took over with just a few hours' notice and was sensational.  

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

That's a good question (and observation) . I suppose if one wanted a "perfect" recording and relay one would have the same dancer on both nights.

Here's a funny anecdote - I don't know if it has been discussed on the forum before as it was wayyyy before I joined: on the RB La Bayadere recording with Rojo/Acosta/Nunez in the lead roles (available on DVD and previously broadcast frequently on the Sky Arts channel), there are actually two different dancers performing the role of the third shade (the one with the solo beginning slowly and finishes with fast runs on pointe across the stage to the wings).

When they start dancing together with the other Shades, the role is danced by Hikaru Kobayashi, but the solo is danced by Lauren Cuthbertson. Can't remember who is recorded dancing the coda.

I wasn't at the performance- I can only guess that there was injury/illness and one of them replaced the other at one of the performances.

I suppose there are 2 options- 1) have Sarah  dance both 4 & 9 April and offer Lauren 13 April if she is available/well and ready to dance on 13th, or 2) proceed with Sarah on 4 & 13 and Lauren on 9 and use discreet camera angles and editing where necessary if recorded footage has to be used, since there's a precedent from Bayadere (it would be the digital equivalent of "the show must go on"!)  😀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

Of Nut or Sleeping Beauty?  Fumi definitely took over with just a few hours' notice and was sensational.  

Damn, sorry, I've just been counting up Nutcracker performances from earlier this season so typed the wrong ballet title. I definitely meant Sleeping Beauty. However digging back through the relevant thread on here indicates that Cuthbertson was actually replaced by Kaneko part-way through her previous SB performance. I guess that one would have been the filmed for backup performance & therefore explains why they couldn't use that to show Cuthbertson's performance even if they'd wanted to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, alison said:

Is Hirano still down for Requiem in this, bearing in mind his withdrawal from other roles?

Yes, he is still listed in the cast for 13 April. As @capybara posted (somewhere!) it sounds like he is withdrawing for planned treatment in late April and May rather than some injury or illness that has sidelined him completely. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, alison said:

Is Hirano still down for Requiem in this, bearing in mind his withdrawal from other roles?

He was when I looked earlier.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, alison said:

IIRC, it was VERY last-minute, I was going to say for the cinema broadcast only, but I'm trying to remember whether Cuthbertson did the previous show.  I don't think she did, but did someone else cover?  Actually, I think she did pull out, but hoped to be back for the cinema, but wasn't.  I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will confirm.

Lauren Cuthbertson started the performance  (the show just before the cinema relay) but Fumi Kaneko (who was Lilac Fairy) stepped in halfway due to Cuthbertson sustaining an injury during the performance.  Kaneko then went on to do the subsequent cinema relay in the end as well because Cuthbertson wasn't fully recovered in time. So you're sort of right both ways actually! (Or people can reread the whole thread from 2019 too  😀  ). 

Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball, who had previously danced Aurora and Florimund before, were scheduled to dance Bluebird pdd for the cinema relay as part of a "super luxury cast" with so many principals, and although I did wonder if they would be moved up to reprise Aurora and Florimund for the cinema relay, it was decided to keep them as Bluebird and Florine (they were brilliant) and have Kaneko making her full debut (as opposed to just part of the ballet!) as Aurora on live cinema relay to UK and international audiences....no pressure then! 

The same thing also happened to Darcey Bussell once- injury during the ballet - and her Lilac Fairy, Marianela Nunez (who was scheduled to dance Aurora later in the run, I think), stepped in to dance the rest of the ballet for her.  Ended up on the front page of a few newspapers!  But it wasn't a cinema relay though- before the days of live cinema relays. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

The same thing also happened to Darcey Bussell once- injury during the ballet - and her Lilac Fairy, Marianela Nunez (who was scheduled to dance Aurora later in the run, I think), stepped in to dance the rest of the ballet for her. 

Didn't something similar happen with Belinda Hatley replacing Bussell mid-performance, too?

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, alison said:

Didn't something similar happen with Belinda Hatley replacing Bussell mid-performance, too?

Trying to rack my brains but I can't recall this exactly although you probably are right as you usually are with these recollections, Alison! Was it Sleeping Beauty also or another ballet? (Certainly wasn't a performance I was at, unfortunately/fortunately. )  Tried to do an online search but cyberspace isn't helping either!

Edited by Emeralds

Did find something interesting for this thread on Danses Concertantes etc while trying to search for the Hatley/Bussell substitution story! In this gallery of black and white photos about Bussell and RB colleagues there is a photo of Belinda Hatley (in either Hinkis or Maeda's role) in  Danses Concertantes with the previous Ian Spurling designs. It's the 3rd photo from the bottom or the 15th photo from the top.

Sadly the pictures aren't in colour but thought readers who hadn't seen the previous production might be interested. I think the men come off better and the corps de ballet ladies have some nice outfits, but I think the three leading women get nicer costumes from Georgiadis. Sorry there aren't more.  If we find some colour ones maybe members might like to vote (straw poll?) which ones they like more - Georgiadis or Spurling?

BTW, tomorrow's performance is also the first show with the second cast of Danses Concertantes (although Isabella Gasparini is in both casts of course). 

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/gallery/2020/oct/24/darcey-bussell-explodes-royal-ballet-black-and-white-in-pictures

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Emeralds Thanks for that link. It's interesting to see the different designs. While one cannot entirely judge in black & white, I can't say I think they are preferable to the designs being used this time, apart from the abscence of the rather odd hats!

(Off topic but it's interesting to see the Manon photo at the bottom of the article: photographers still going for capturing the same pose 30 years later. And my goodness Adam Cooper was good-looking when he was young.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, I was there that night - it was Sleeping Beauty. I was with my mum, who had come from Manchester for the performance. I can’t remember if Darcey was ill or injured, but I remember Belinda Hartley stepping in beautifully.

• Like 2

@Emeralds Fumi Kaneko’s Aurora debut was not the cinema streamed performance. Still very impressive for her to cover Lauren though as I believe she’d only performed it once (maybe twice?) before having to step in on the spot, and then not quite so on the spot but still unexpectedly for the cinema rely.

FYI I watched her debut (was absolutely lovely, my favourite performance of Sleeping Beauty ever) and watched the cinema stream at a later date as ROH made it available free during lockdown. I was hoping they’d release it on DVD as it was a great performance not just from Fumi but a very “starry” cast!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JNC said:

@Emeralds Fumi Kaneko’s Aurora debut was not the cinema streamed performance. Still very impressive for her to cover Lauren though as I believe she’d only performed it once (maybe twice?) before having to step in on the spot, and then not quite so on the spot but still unexpectedly for the cinema rely.

FYI I watched her debut (was absolutely lovely, my favourite performance of Sleeping Beauty ever) and watched the cinema stream at a later date as ROH made it available free during lockdown. I was hoping they’d release it on DVD as it was a great performance not just from Fumi but a very “starry” cast!

Yes. I think her debut was in 2019 with Reece Clarke?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder @JNC and @Linnzi5- I'd forgotten about the Nov 2019 debut with Reece Clarke just  over a month before. There was the interview in The Times with them both and glowing reviews. Glad you enjoyed the performance too, JNC!  😊

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder @JNC and @Linnzi5- I'd forgotten about the Nov 2019 debut with Reece Clarke just  over a month before. There was the interview in The Times with them both and glowing reviews. Glad you enjoyed the performance too, JNC!  😊

To be honest, it doesn't diminish her amazing performance for the live cinema relay - to have danced it to an audience fully just once before and then to be filmed with a different, albeit wonderful and experienced, partner? Wow. That is some achievement. I've watched that performance on the ROH Stream many times and she is amazing - so controlled and calm! She makes a lovely Aurora, in my opinion. 

@Emeralds Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed looking at all the pictures. I'll let you know after tonight which costumes I prefer. :) 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, alison said:

The Spurling probably need to be seen in the context of the set as well: IIRC, it was an old-fashioned swimming bath?

Yes, it was a period setting, and the set recalled public baths from the past.

Found a little info from kennethmacmillan.com- 

"In 1991, Ian Spurling set the ballet in a tiled set reminiscent of the public baths, making it seem a completely different ballet."

Edited by Emeralds

Presuming there any risk of running order being changed? Realised that Different Drummer is not recommended for under sixteens so planning to take my daughter for dinner during that hour and 45 mins. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

To be honest, it doesn't diminish her amazing performance for the live cinema relay - to have danced it to an audience fully just once before and then to be filmed with a different, albeit wonderful and experienced, partner? Wow. That is some achievement. I've watched that performance on the ROH Stream many times and she is amazing - so controlled and calm! She makes a lovely Aurora, in my opinion.

I believe Kaneko actually danced 3 performances earlier in the run before having to step in for Cuthbertson.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tufty said:

Presuming there any risk of running order being changed? Realised that Different Drummer is not recommended for under sixteens so planning to take my daughter for dinner during that hour and 45 mins. 

They are highly unlikely to switch the running order of the 3 ballets - I've never seen that happen for mixed bills at ROH - but very very rarely,   a middle ballet has had to be cancelled if there is some unforeseen situation they can't fix. They can present a ballet with no set or modify/improvise a prop or costume or replace a dancer so those won't be the issue. Once a McGregor ballet (Tetractys- the Art of Fugue) had to be cancelled because Natalia Osipova had sustained a concussion while rehearsing. But they had advance notice of that before the day of the show.  If someone (eg the conductor or a lead dancer) falls ill or gets an injury, they delay the start to get someone else to replace them rather than switching the running order.

So I would say it's 99.5% OK to go off for dinner but probably cannot say 100%:for certain! I did once sit out a middle ballet with small relatives for the same reason as you, but we ate in the opera house so we could hear all the announcements (eg "The ballet X will start in 5 minutes', "Please take your seats, X is about to begin") so I was aware of any changes no matter how unlikely. Also,  do allocate plenty of time to return and get to your seats. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

With regard to the costumes for Danses Concertantes, they only make sense if set in a swimming baths.  The male costumes for the Spurling one have my greatest dislike as far as I can make out...bare legs.  I really hate to see that on ballet dancers who have so little fat on their bodies.  I don't want to play Count the Sinew as I watch.  

Am I the only one who really liked the Georgiadis costumes?  I thought they were brilliant.  Although I still don't get the head adornments.....

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Am I the only one who really liked the Georgiadis costumes?  I thought they were brilliant.  Although I still don't get the head adornments.....

You are not the only one, Fonty. The men’s headpieces apart, I loved the costumes and the set, both the designs and the colours. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I liked the Georgiadis costumes but didn't like the headpieces for the men. The women's costumes and headpieces were great. Unfortunately I don't think the men's headpieces can be discarded or altered now that Mr Georgiadis is no longer with us to ask his permission (or ask him to redesign them). I don’t know if the designs are the reason why Danses Concertantes is so seldom performed....I can't see any other reason why it isn’t staged more frequently. It has such beautiful choreography. 

Edited by Emeralds