Royal Ballet MacMillan triple bill: Danses Concertantes, Different Drummer, Requiem 20 March to 13 April 2024

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

What about the other comments which said people here preferred the filmed version of DD to the live show? 

I have to say I feel Ross transformed how dance was filmed. To have someone who will gain the trust of the dancers as he was one of them for so long, has appeared in many of the works and also was in at the creation of some of them is surely a huge benefit? I can’t imagine the company would keep working with him on such expensive projects if they were not satisfied? In any case I respect him and the judgement of the company and also let’s not forget - broadcasters too. Just my opinion of course … it’s very subjective as with all the arts. 

• Like 3

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Suffolkgal

I agree that the relays transformed how live ballet can be shared more widely.  

There is a frisson of excitement for audiences in the cinemas watching the live relay in real time, like being an extension of the audience in theatre. It’s transformed my RB experiences. The close-ups adding to what cannot be seen however close your seat is in the theatre itself.  

The atmosphere isn’t quite the same for the encore, stream or any other recording even if only a few days later.  

Personally I don’t like the ballet being seen too much through someone else’s eyes, which is why the choice of close-ups can grate … eg.The Requiem example.   I’m still wondering what those dancers were doing that was deemed insignificant that they got cut.  (It could have been a mistake on the night … it is live filming on top of live dance.  Anything can go wrong.  Maybe the wide view camera had a blip for instance.)  

I’m 100% sure MacMillan didn’t choreograph for dancers on stage  ‘not to be seen’.

• Like 4