Royal Ballet MacMillan triple bill: Danses Concertantes, Different Drummer, Requiem 20 March to 13 April 2024

The Royal Ballet's much awaited triple bill of Kenneth MacMillan ballets at the Royal Opera House- Danses Concertantes, Different Drummer, and Requiem, opens tomorrow, so am starting this thread for reviews, thoughts, curtain call photos etc.

Please note there are now further cast changes in addition to Francisco Serrano replacing Alexander Campbell (as Drum Major) in Different Drummer following Campbell's departure to take up his new Royal Academy of Dancing post. 

Isabella Gasparini replaces Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Mayara Magri in all performances of Danses Concertantes. 

Melissa Hamilton replaces Marianela Nunez in the Agnus Dei role in Requiem on 20 March, 4 April and 9 April.

Isabel Lubach replaces Marianela Nunez in the Agnus Dei role in Requiem on 22 March, and replaces Melissa Hamilton in that role on 13 April. 

Looking forward to members' reactions, feedback and other contributions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

The Royal Ballet's much awaited triple bill of Kenneth MacMillan ballets at the Royal Opera House- Danses Concertantes, Different Drummer, and Requiem, opens tomorrow, so am starting this thread for reviews, thoughts, curtain call photos etc.

Please note there are now further cast changes in addition to Francisco Serrano replacing Alexander Campbell (as Drum Major) in Different Drummer following Campbell's departure to take up his new Royal Academy of Dancing post. 

Isabella Gasparini replaces Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Mayara Magri in all performances of Danses Concertantes. 

Melissa Hamilton replaces Marianela Nunez in the Agnus Dei role in Requiem on 20 March, 4 April and 9 April.

Isabel Lubach replaces Marianela Nunez in the Agnus Dei role in Requiem on 22 March, and replaces Melissa Hamilton in that role on 13 April. 

Looking forward to members' reactions, feedback and other contributions!

perhaps these principals have been relieved of the MacMillan in order to focus on the Ashton pieces

Edited by Naughty Peregrine
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Naughty Peregrine said:

perhaps these principals have been relieved of the MacMillan in order to focus on the Ashton pieces

Not at the 11th hour surely?

The Company seems to have been working exceptionally hard of late: that can take it’s toll.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, capybara said:

Not at the 11th hour surely?

The Company seems to have been working exceptionally hard of late: that can take its toll.

Perhaps the combined workload has proven too much to juggle and something has had to give. Magri is still listed to dance Swan Lake on Thursday. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Naughty Peregrine said:

I'm afraid I don’t know the reason for all the substitutions but Anna Rose  O'Sullivan has posted in her social media stories (only online for 24h) that hers is due to an injury that needs resting. It's good news that they are all still listed for Swan Lake though. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

Anna Rose's exact words on her IG story are:

"Unfortunately, I'm out for a little bit of time to heal an injury.

Best wishes to the Company for a wonderful opening show tomorrow.

See you on stage soon."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Wow for Isabel Lubach, First Artist.  Congratulations. 

Filming on the 4th and 9th (cine relay). I think the first filming is a rehearsal and backup in case it all goes belly up for the relay so same casts, how exciting for all concerned especially the replacements!   All casts here:- https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/danses-concertantes-different-drummer-requiem-by-kenneth-macmillan-dates

It's good that 'lesser known' (to a wider audience) company members will be given this opportunity to be seen around the UK.  I'm especially pleased for Melissa Hamilton for Requiem, and Isabella Gasparini for DC. Both are company stalwarts. I'd say they were ideally cast. 

I think this is going to be a very exciting triple bill actually. 

RBMacMillanrelay.thumb.jpg.ef30203812662399aa0825e6e7f87096.jpg 

Also (from Gen Rehearsal) 

Soprano ISABELA DÍAZ* Baritone JOSEF JEONGMEEN AHN*  Chorus Director WILLIAM SPAULDING *Isabela Díaz and Josef Jeongmeen Ahn are participating in the Jette Parker Artists Programme.

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, capybara said:

Anna Rose's exact words on her IG story are:

"Unfortunately, I'm out for a little bit of time to heal an injury.

Best wishes to the Company for a wonderful opening show tomorrow.

See you on stage soon."

This morning the ROH Twitter / X feed posted this, without of course naming the dancer!  I hope Anna Rose O'Sullivan recovers soon. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Tonight’s cast sheet:

https://static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/MacMillan-Celebrated/MacMillan-Celebrated-Cast-Sheet-20-03-24.pdf

Very much looking to opening night after the General Rehearsal this morning .

Not of course Requiem, however, a small glimpse of Isabela Diaz singing.  I think Requiem's revival will be adored by audiences. Very powerful and moving work. 

And here is Josef Jeongmeen Ahn. 

Good to see Donald Macleary's name among the coaches for Danses Concertantes - I believe he was the second cast pas de deux man when the ballet was new in 1955.  (He is now 86) Would be nice if he got a curtain call!

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 12

Posted (edited)

From tonight's cast list, I see James Hay is back in character role mode....as the sadistic doctor in Different Drummer! Was rather hoping to see him alongside Muntagirov, Acri et al in Danses Concertantes. Oh well- maybe another time. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Very good of them to tell us not to applaud during Requiem 🫣

Oh yes, I think they always ask that for Requiem every time. They will have to get the stage manager to announce it before the conductor starts as a lot of people don't have the cast list or a programme and wouldn't know. I expect she/he probably will. 

Edited by Emeralds

13 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Good to see Donald Macleary's name among the coaches for Danses Concertantes -

Always such an elegant dancer, I was pleased to see his name too. He featured on the discussion panel for this 'Insight' from a previous MacMillan 'celebration' and it's worth watching again, or for the first time if you haven't seen it. I highly recommend it. Kenneth MacMillan was his friend. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Oh yes, I think they always ask that for Requiem every time. They will have to get the stage manager to announce it before the conductor starts as a lot of people don't have the cast list or a programme and wouldn't know. I expect she/he probably will. 

Panic not Mr Mainwaring  it was announced at the start of the General rehearsal and again before the start of Requiem itself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roberta said:

think Requiem's revival will be adored by audiences. Very powerful and moving work. 

That was certainly the case with me and those I was sitting with at this afternoon's rehearsal!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

The ROH has tweeted a new production picture from each of the 3 pieces. The Danses Concertantes costumes are certainly not the sort of thing I was expecting. Why do they have arrows all over them? The dancers aren't supposed to be convicts are they?! https://twitter.com/RoyalOperaHouse/status/1770533352862281854

Yes. They certainly are colourful! I had seen photos of the costumes hanging up on Instagram recently and was surprised, but actually on the dancers? They are original!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I need a dose of Symphony in C after all that 🫣

Yes, felt similarly after the first two parts of the triple at the rehearsal..... Requiem seemed to soothe most of us! Am interested to hear further thoughts from those at the opening night when you emerge later!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A quick glimpse from the ROH Tik Tok of the Georgiadis costumes. 1955, and a 2003 Guardian review  https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2003/may/02/dance.artsfeatures

But the Royal's revival, with the original Nicholas Georgiadis designs, gives us an even sharper sense of the ballet's youthful brio and also of its period. Georgiadis's fluorescent colour matches (lime, orange, electric blue), his nervy scribbling lines of decoration, his fantastical mix of jazz and carnival references all speak of a generation breaking out of 1950s austerity.

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Danses Concertantes - charming, witty, a bit dated. Isabella Gasparini was wonderful

Different Drummer - an occasional nod to his brilliant pdds; otherwise - ghastly! If I'd been told it lasted 2 hours I would have believed them

Requiem - startlingly beautiful, emotionally evocative, and something I don't think I'd ever tire of watching. Had I been told it lasted 15mins, I would have believed them

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4