Press Release: English National Ballet announces 75th Season

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

Creature being IMHO the biggest one 

I was fascinated by Creature 😉

Jeffrey Cirio was extraordinary as a creature (or human treated as a creature) showing more humanity than the humans around him.  

And then surprised by Isaac Hernandez in the role.  Quite different Curio and easily the best and most honest and committed portrayal I’d seen Isaac perform.  

• Like 3

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@JNC completely agree that the Pina Bausch version was good.  And agree that the experience of working with Mats Ek is a gift for any dancer.  

His version was less of a gift for the audience, IMO.  Though I did appreciate parts of it and the roles were challenging for the dancers.  

The other less successful Rite of Spring type work was in the recent triple by Andrea Miller, though called Les Noces.  Hopefully not to be repeated.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CCL said:

I really enjoyed Raymonda- just wanted to put that out there!

Me too, mainly for the music and the brilliant dancing and acting of the company. I would be happy for it to be a traditional version with tutus as well as long as there's no weird facepaint  (Putting on my flameproof suit in case this branches off into another Controversial Sensitivities discussion that ends up branching off and getting locked. 😄

• Like 3

Actually I didn’t mind Miller’s Les Noces. I enjoyed some parts more than others but I thought it was a worthwhile commission and props to ENB for the investment in it and the orchestra. 

With exception of Creature I’ve enjoyed or at least respected every single new commission ENB has done (I’ve not seen them all but most). This is in stark comparison to RB’s commissions which to be honest I don’t recall hating any of them but varied between being bored or merely thinking something was “ok” but not particularly innovative and not something I’d go out of my way to see again, to the extent I can’t really remember any names of them! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JNC said:

From memory the Bausch version (as part of a triple) sold well both times ENB did this? I don’t know what ticket sales were like for the Mats Ek version but I thought it was great ENB got him to choreograph something for them.

I really like the Bausch version. Not so much the Mats Ek.

6 hours ago, JNC said:

Creature on the other hand was awful imo and if others were anything like me it sold out on the strength of Giselle, but one viewing was more than enough. It’s about the only ballet I seriously considered leaving at the interval because I hated it so much and the sound was actually deafening so I was rather uncomfortable. 

My daughter wanted to leave 10 minutes in, And having unwisely sat it out to the end, all I can say is that notwithstanding Jeffrey Cirio's utterly stunning performance, I wish we had followed her instinct.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

My daughter wanted to leave 10 minutes in, And having unwisely sat it out to the end, all I can say is that notwithstanding Jeffrey Cirio's utterly stunning performance, I wish we had followed her instinct.

Yes I agree, really not my favourite.  Terrible music, no chemistry between the leads and a nonsensical story even for a ballet.  That was the first Akram Khan ballet I'd seen and I was really unsure afterwards whether I would see another one and nearly didn't go to see his Giselle.

I was so grateful to those who had been to Creature before and reminded me of the fact that Sadlers Wells had earplugs available. As otherwise I would have left.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tango Dancer said:

Yes I agree, really not my favourite.  Terrible music, no chemistry between the leads and a nonsensical story even for a ballet.  That was the first Akram Khan ballet I'd seen and I was really unsure afterwards whether I would see another one and nearly didn't go to see his Giselle.

I was so grateful to those who had been to Creature before and reminded me of the fact that Sadlers Wells had earplugs available. As otherwise I would have left.   

Personally I think that Creature should be put in a store cupboard with its RB cousin Frankenstein and left there forever.  Of all the iterations I've seen of this story, in this case original is best....leave it to Mary Shelley, Boris Karloff and Mel Brooks!

• Like 10

I am sorry if this is a very ignorant question, but I will ask it anyway.  Could ENB have danced the MacMillan Rite of Spring if they had wanted to, and had asked permission to do so?  Does it belong to the RB, or the MacMillan estate?  Just wondering, after reading the comments above.  The Royal Ballet don't dance it that often.  Not since 2013, according to the ROH back catalogue. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fonty said:

I am sorry if this is a very ignorant question, but I will ask it anyway.  Could ENB have danced the MacMillan Rite of Spring if they had wanted to, and had asked permission to do so?  Does it belong to the RB, or the MacMillan estate?  Just wondering, after reading the comments above.  The Royal Ballet don't dance it that often.  Not since 2013, according to the ROH back catalogue. 

Lady MacMillan owns the choreographic rights to her late husband's RoS.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Fonty said:

They used to dance the MacMillan Rite of Spring (same choreography, different costumes/sets) - back in 2010 or so

• Like 3

For all you eager beavers, ENB Nutcracker & Skeaping Giselle are now on-sale 🙂 

NUTCRACKER AT THE COLISEUM:

Children under 16 go half-price: up to 2 under-16s per full paying adult. Note that children under 5 are not allowed in the auditorium.

Family-friendly performance:
Saturday 4 January 2025 at 2.30pm. Children only pay the booking fee (up to 2 under-16s per full-paying adult), and children under 5 are allowed to attend.

Schools matinee:
Wednesday 18 December 2.30pm. Please note this performance welcomes school groups – £10 per pupil (in Balcony) or £15 per pupil (in Upper Circle) + 1 free teacher ticket per 10 students.

Multibuy: 
Book for English National Ballet’s Nutcracker and Giselle at the same time and save 15% (not valid on top two price tickets, or in conjunction with any other offer or concessions).

For more information, please contact the London Coliseum on 020 7845 9300 or box.office@londoncoliseum.org

SKEAPING GISELLE AT THE COLISEUM:

Book for English National Ballet’s Nutcracker and Giselle at the same time and save 15% (not valid on top two price tickets, or in conjunction with any other offer or concessions).

Children under 16 go half-price: up to 2 under-16s per full paying adult. Note that children under 5 are not allowed in the auditorium.

Schools performance: Friday 17 January 2.30pm. Please note this performance welcomes school groups.

For more information, please contact the London Coliseum on 020 7845 9300 or box.office@londoncoliseum.org

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

They used to dance the MacMillan Rite of Spring (same choreography, different costumes/sets) - back in 2010 or so

More like around the turn of the century, surely?  It was a trigger for Tamara Rojo leaving ENB and joining the Royal Ballet.

19 hours ago, Emeralds said:

. I would be happy for it to be a traditional version with tutus

Yes, me too…although I liked the new setting much more than I expected to! I thought it was really cleverly done.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fonty said:

ENB has staged MacMillan's Rite of Spring before (Monica Mason did the coaching on the last run in 2012), so they just need to get approval from Deborah MacMillan regarding reviving it and whom should be cast. I think the Mats Ek premiere and Pina Bausch acquisition were Rojo's idea because she wanted the two giants of 20th century contemporary dance to work with ENB. But it is funny that ENB has now danced 3 different versions of Rite of Spring in the space of just 12 years! 

Also, Andrea Miller's Les Noces looks more like Rite of Spring and Mats Ek's Rite of Spring looks more like Les Noces so if they were programmed on the same bill, you should get one of each (albeit with "wrong" music)! Don't know if it would sell enough tickets though. Might have to be staged (with some adjustments because of the lack of a curtain) at the Royal Albert Hall, where the music scores might attract RAH music fans. 

Edited by Emeralds
(Just belatedly noticed zxDaveM and I more or less said the dame thing btw)
  • Like 2

On 20/02/2024 at 12:00, FionaM said:

I hope Aaron will ditch Tamara’s mistakes … too many unsuccessful versions of Rite of Spring, plus her own Raymonda which hides the actual dancing of the ballerinas under those long heavy skirts.  

That is a polite way of describing what happened to Raymonda. One expert member of the Forum estimated that Tamara Rojo’s rewrite cut 70% of Petipa’s choreography. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alison said:

More like around the turn of the century, surely?  It was a trigger for Tamara Rojo leaving ENB and joining the Royal Ballet.

They were still doing the Macmillan Rite of Spring in 2012.  I've even managed to find a balletcoforum thread on the programme in which it was featured ( Beyond Ballets Russes): 

Edited as I forgot to provide the link:

Another edit as I hadn't read further down the thread and now see that Emeralds had already mentioned the 2012 run.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 2

Just now, MAB said:

From the audience reaction to Creature the night I went, ENB would be mad to ditch creature.

fair comment - but I won't be one of those going to see it again, though I wouldn't dream of trying to stop, or discourage, those that do want to see it

• Like 2

I think the very low ticket sales of Creature at its repeat run at Sadler's Wells last year would mean that if it were to be revived in future it would have to be a very short run ie only 2 or 3 shows, possibly in tandem with other Akram Khan works in the same run eg Dust and his Giselle. I would give it a space of at least 6 years before reviving Creature again so as to attract new audiences. 

Well when you get to the age where the reality is you could depart this mortal coil at fairly short notice Life really is too short to be subjected again to the sound torture that was Creature!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bluebird said:

They were still doing the Macmillan Rite of Spring in 2012.  I've even managed to find a balletcoforum thread on the programme in which it was featured ( Beyond Ballets Russes): 

Edited as I forgot to provide the link:

Another edit as I hadn't read further down the thread and now see that Emeralds had already mentioned the 2012 run.

Thank you Bluebird, I wasn't a member or reader in 2012....thank you for finding the thread: what a fascinating read and thank you to @zxDaveM for pictures and to  everyone who posted reviews. 

2 hours ago, MAB said:

From the audience reaction to Creature the night I went, ENB would be mad to ditch creature.

that's what I love about dance performances, there are so many different reactions to what we see and hear in front of us.

I gave Creature a fair chance, seeing two casts in the original run, then the film premiere at LFF (the most enjoyable presentation by far of this work and how it was originally conceived).

I spoke directly with the theatre several times and also the choreographer and his team about the aural torture suffered due to the sound levels and was advised that these were known to be a problem in the first run and consideration was being given to them being adjusted for the revival.

thinking that they were going to be, I booked one cast at the revival so that I could enjoy Jeffrey Cirio's return to reprise his jaw-dropping priceless performance.  they weren't. I had to wear industrial strength ear-plugs throughout to reduce the volume to an acceptable level.

personally, I would rather be water-boarded than to see Creature live again. 

• Like 6

AtaXia by Mcgregor was the one I found intolerable.  The pain in my  ears made it impossible to concentrate on the ballet.  A lot of people walked out and I was about to do so myself when it mercifully came to an end.  I don't think it was revived. 

• Like 1

I was told once by a doctor ( who was fitting a relative's hearing aid) that you should never, ever be in an environment where the noise hurts:  if it hurts get out. Even one occasion can cause damage to your ears that can't be fixed.

I merely pass this on- but really the venues have no business subjecting an audience to this risk.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Mary said:

really the venues have no business subjecting an audience to this risk.

I agree entirely, I was genuinely shocked how loud it was and though it just have surpassed “safe” levels?! 

Surely it’s not nice for the dancers (or any staff watching) either? 

I found it painful (both metaphorically and also slightly physically at points) but I slogged through as I know can be sensitive to sounds. Although I’ve been to live music experiences where it’s not been so jarring and uncomfortable for the ears. 

I am baffled that they continued the sounds levels after the first night, let alone the whole run and then the second run! Sadler’s Wells (and the part of ENB responsible for the sound levels?) need to sort themselves out. 

I didn’t like the ballet/choreography anyway (although the dancers did their best with it and Jeffery C was fab) but I would never ever go again due to the sound, even if I got a free ticket it’s not worth it!

Khan’s Giselle had a similar style of sound but it managed to be impactful without being deafening or painful. I do remember thinking they had perhaps turned up the volume a bit between the first run I saw and the second run, but it was nowhere near Creature levels. 

• Like 3

The only other piece that has bothered me almost as much as Creature was a Rambert Piece which seemed to be composed of loud insect and other buzzing noises …I think was called something like Creation …so a sort of Primeval feel. 

The dancing was superb when I could concentrate on it but as I had an end of row seat ( Theatre Royal Brighton) I was just about to get up and go outside the auditorium  to relieve the pressure for a bit when it finished so only a shortish piece luckily! 
Certainly seemed to disturb something primeval in me …run as fast as you can!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

ahhh - the days (nights rather) of standing next the PA speakers at gigs, where the sound engineer thought they were at Wembley, rather than the back room of a pub, are long gone for me. As a result, the sound levels in dance theatres barely bother me - it's what they are belting out that causes consternation these days

• Like 1

The Rambert Piece was Soundance …a Cunningham Piece but the music was electronic!!  Soundance a bit of a misnomer I must say. 
Luckily less than 20 mins long. 
The next piece on the programme that day was Rooster so from despair to joy pretty quickly! 
Sorry am diverting away from ENB! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Thanks 1

I liked Raymonda. Hated the Miller Les Noces absolutely dreadful piece in every way. Seems I was right to give Creature a wide berth!! 

As for noise I don't know why everything has to be so loud everywhere, I usually have earplugs on me just in case! In fact I often get a much nicer rounded sound with ear plugs in!

I once had to complain at the Barbican about the level of noise for Dust, I think it was(there was a triple bill for the WW1 centenary) . I said it should have come with a noise warning and that any child would  particularly potentially suffer damage. The theatre staff didn't seem bothered! 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

I liked Raymonda. Hated the Miller Les Noces absolutely dreadful piece in every way. Seems I was right to give Creature a wide berth!! 

As for noise I don't know why everything has to be so loud everywhere, I usually have earplugs on me just in case! In fact I often get a much nicer rounded sound with ear plugs in!

I once had to complain at the Barbican about the level of noise for Dust, I think it was(there was a triple bill for the WW1 centenary) . I said it should have come with a noise warning and that any child would  particularly potentially suffer damage. The theatre staff didn't seem bothered! 

It isn't just dance that suffers like this.  Why, why, why is it necessary to have everything SO LOUD?  I went to a performance of Rocky Horror last year, and my friend and I sat there with our fingers stuffed in our ears all night.  And she is hard of hearing!  It was so loud, it was impossible to make out any of the words when they were singing.  Nobody else seemed the slightest bit bothered, which was even more startling.  .   

• Like 3