Press Release: English National Ballet announces 75th Season

PRESS RELEASE 

English National Ballet’s 75th Season Announced
View the trailer for English National Ballet’s 75th Season here:

• World premiere of English National Ballet’s new production of Nutcracker choreographed by Artistic Director, Aaron S. Watkin and Arielle Smith
  • The Forsythe Programme to be performed at Sadler’s Wells, featuring the world premiere of a new work created for English National Ballet by William Forsythe
  • Akram Khan’s Giselle returns to London for the first time since 2019
  • English National Ballet marks its 75th Season with a free, 10-day digital celebration
  • Extensive programme of Engagement work offered alongside performances

English National Ballet is thrilled to announce plans for its 75th Season, running from September 2024 - June 2025.

Featuring two world premieres, a Company premiere and the return of audience favourites, English National Ballet’s 75th Season celebrates tradition whilst forging innovation - an ethos that has shaped the Company’s rich history and will inspire its future.

Artistic Director of English National Ballet, Aaron S. Watkin, said: “In this, English National Ballet’s 75th Season, we will be celebrating the myriad ways that ballet can excite, entertain, and inspire. Be it the renewal of a beloved classic with our new Nutcracker, cherished revivals, or a return to the ground-breaking works of Akram Khan and William Forsythe – this is a season that showcases the many wonderful things that ballet can offer.

I am thrilled that English National Ballet continues to attract world-class creative talent. I can’t wait to have Arielle Smith and William Forsythe back in our studios to create work and I know our dancers will be inspired by their presence. 

Finally, its hugely important to me that we welcome as many people as possible to celebrate our 75th Season with us. I am therefore delighted that we will be presenting a free digital celebration that will enable us to connect with ballet fans and new audiences alike, all around the world.” 

Having been seen by over 156,000 people in 10 countries and 16 cities around the world, Akram Khan’s Giselle opens English National Ballet’s 2024/2025 Season with a return to London (Sadler’s Wells) for the first time since 2019. In this acclaimed reimagining of the iconic ballet, Khan tells a story of love, betrayal, and redemption. The production features an imposing set designed by Academy Award-winner Tim Yip and a powerful score by Vincenzo Lamagna. 

Offering audiences the opportunity to see two versions of one of the great Romantic ballets in the same season, Mary Skeaping’s Giselle, will also be performed, touring to the Liverpool Empire and Manchester’s Palace Theatre in the autumn, before returning to the London Coliseum in January 2025. With its beautiful classical language and thoughtful staging, this Giselle features some of ballet’s most dramatic scenes and otherworldly images.

Christmas 2024 will see the world premiere of a new production of the classic festive ballet, Nutcracker, choreographed by English National Ballet’s Artistic Director Aaron S. Watkin and Olivier Award-winning choreographer Arielle Smith. The production will take audiences on a fantastical adventure as they join Clara on her journey of discovery, from Edwardian London to the Land of Sweets & Delights. Nutcracker is bought to life by exquisite dancing, spectacular new costumes and sets by Dick Bird, lighting by Paul Pyant, and Tchaikovsky’s instantly recognisable score played live by English National Ballet Philharmonic.

English National Ballet’s Artistic Director and joint choreographer of Nutcracker, Aaron S. Watkin, said: Nutcracker holds a special place in English National Ballet’s history and in the hearts of our audiences. The Company has performed a version of it every year since it was founded in 1950 and it is an honour to be working with Arielle and Dick, to bring new magic and wonder to this much-loved ballet.” 

Continuing the Company’s commitment to UK touring and sharing world-class ballet with the widest possible audience, Nutcracker will receive its world premiere at Southampton’s Mayflower Theatre before performances at the London Coliseum. For the first time, English National Ballet will present a relaxed performance of Nutcracker, at the London Coliseum on 9 January 2025. The creation of this new production has been made possible by Charles Holloway, Lead Supporter of Nutcracker.

In spring 2025, English National Ballet returns to Sadler’s Wells, London, with The Forsythe Programme, a triple bill showcasing highlights of master choreographer, William Forsythe’s, broad catalogue of work. Combining ballet classicism and athleticism with the music of Barry White, Natalie Cole and Khalid to name just a few, audience favourite, Playlist (EP) returns alongside New Suite, an arrangement of eight earlier pas de deux set to scores by Händel, Berio and Bach, presented by English National Ballet for the first time. Completing the programme is the world premiere of a new work created for the Company in which Forsythe takes inspiration from the 2nd movement of Prokofiev’s piano concerto number 3 in C major Opus 26; “Tema con Variazioni”.

For younger audiences, English National Ballet and English National Ballet School revive My First Ballet: Swan Lake at Sadler’s Wells’ West End venue, the Peacock Theatre, in April 2025. The perfect introduction to the artform, this is a specially adapted version of the world’s most iconic ballet. Featuring choreography by Antonio Castilla, English National Ballet’s Repetiteur, and with a narrator to guide the audience, the production is accessible to children aged three upwards. The run will also include a relaxed performance as part of the My First Inclusive Ballet outreach programme as well as a series of on-stage family workshops. 

In summer 2025, English National Ballet continues its investment in Emerging Talentprogrammes with the launch of Choreo Labs – a supportive and inspiring environment for Company dancers to develop their skills and explore new choreographic ideas. Open to dancers across the Company, the series will culminate with an in-house sharing session. Choreo Labs is part of English National Ballet’s future commitment to create a wider Emerging Talent performance programme, which will bring together its existing Emerging Dancer event and Choreo Labs. 

To mark English National Ballet’s 75th Season, a free, 10-day digital celebration will be presented in June 2025. Showcasing English National Ballet’s past, present and future, ENB@75 will feature performance excerpts filmed especially in the Company’s in-house Holloway Production Studio as well as interviews, archive footage and exclusive behind-the-scenes insight. Recognising the important role digital content plays in engaging and inspiring new audiences, English National Ballet offers this as a free to view event. This will be an inclusive opportunity for online audiences around the world to celebrate with the Company at this significant moment in its history. 

2024/2025 marks Music Director, Maria Seletskaja’s, first full season in post. Alongside Principal Guest Conductor, Gavin Sutherland, Seletskaja will conduct English National Ballet Philharmonic for performances of Akram Khan’s Giselle, Mary Skeaping’s Giselle and Nutcracker. Also conducting performances of Nutcracker are Daniel Parkinson and Kingsley Lin. 

With its extensive Engagement programme for 2024/2025, English National Ballet continues to be a leader in creative health and learning and participation practice. The Shared Ground Space Scheme and co-curated Ideas Incubation Labs provide valuable platforms for artist development and support. Alongside this, English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s, an evidence-based programme delivered nationally via six hub partners, and Dance for Dementia, offer creative health interventions that contribute to better health and well-being through artistry, creativity and community. Insights into the creative industries continue to be offered through our schools programme, Ballet Explored, and there will be celebrations of co-created dance from our youth companies and community performance groups through Re-Play, an annual sharing platform at English National Ballet’s studios. Following its launch in February 2024, the Company’s Ballet Club for children, young people and families resident in Newham, east London, also returns for the 2024/2025 season. 

Ballet Futures, English National Ballet’s talent pipeline project to incentivise children from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds (African Diaspora, Caribbean, South Asian and South East Asian heritage) to participate in professional training, continues throughout 2024/2025. Now with over 30 students across five schools nationally, this year will see the inclusion of further performance opportunities for the programme’s participants.

English National Ballet’s plans for international touring will be announced in due course. 

On-sale Information: 
Mary Skeaping’s Giselle and Nutcracker open for priority booking to Friends/ Members on Friday 16 February 2024, with general booking open from 21 February 2024. 

Tickets for Arkam Khan’s Giselle will be available in spring 2024 and for The Forsythe Programme and My First Ballet: Swan Lake in autumn 2024.

Listings Information:
(URLs will be live from 2pm, Thursday 15 February)

Akram Khan’s Giselle
Sadler’s Wells, London
Wednesday 18 - Saturday 28 September 2024
www.ballet.org.uk/khan-giselle   

Mary Skeaping’s Giselle 
Liverpool Empire
Wednesday 23 October – Saturday 26 October 2024
www.ballet.org.uk/giselle

Mary Skeaping’s Giselle
Manchester Palace Theatre
Wednesday 30 October – Saturday 02 November 2024

Nutcracker WORLD PREMIERE
Mayflower Theatre, Southampton
Thursday 28 November – Saturday 30 November 2024
www.ballet.org.uk/nutcracker   

Nutcracker
London Coliseum
Thursday 12 December 2024 – Sunday 12 January 2025
www.ballet.org.uk/nutcracker    

Mary Skeaping’s Giselle 
London Coliseum 
Wednesday 15 January – Saturday 18 January 2025

The Forsythe Programme (including a WORLD PREMIERE) 
Sadler’s Wells, London
Thursday 10 April – Saturday 19 April 2025
www.ballet.org.uk/forsythe

My First Ballet: Swan Lake
The Peacock Theatre, London
Thursday 17 April – Saturday 26 April 2025
www.ballet.org.uk/myfirstballet

ENB @75: A Digital Celebration 
June 2025
www.ballet.org.uk / ENB’s YouTube

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England.

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

English National Ballet is an Associate Company of Sadler’s Wells.

Cunard is Production Sponsor for The Forsythe Programme and UK Tour Week Production Sponsor for performances of Giselle by Mary Skeaping.

Charles Holloway is the Lead Supporter of Nutcracker.

The Wigoder Family Foundation is Principal Benefactor of The Forsythe Programme.

The New Work Fund is kindly supported by Ceri & Doug King, Fatima & Mark Grizelle and other supporters who wish to remain anonymous.

English National Ballet’s Dance Health programme is supported by Tower Hamlet's Mayor's Community Fund, Derrill Allatt Foundation, D'Oyly Carte Charitable Trust, The Vandervell Foundation, Linbury Trust, City Bridge Trust, G&K Boyes Charitable Trust and Backstage Trust.

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet’s growth and evolution ever since. English National Ballet brings world class ballet to the widest possible audience through performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship Dance Health interventions such as Dance for Parkinson’s and Dance for Dementia, and through talent development initiatives including ENBYouthCo and Ballet Futures which looks to create a more diverse and inclusive future for the artform.

English National Ballet continues to add ground-breaking new works to its repertoire whilst celebrating the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw the Company enter a new chapter in its history with a move to a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, allowing a renewed commitment to creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before.

About Ballymore  
Ballymore: 40 years of forward thinking 
Ballymore is a leading property developer with a multi award-winning portfolio of some of Europe’s largest and most transformative urban development projects. Our projects are defined by their vision, originality and commitment to quality and we are driven to set new, lasting standards in design, creativity and architecture. Every place we create has a unique personality inspired by its location, history, people and culture, nurtured through strong relationships with our expert partners and those we develop with local communities. We enliven areas well before the first foundations are laid and we remain long after the last brick is in place to ensure our customers are well looked after and the communities continue to thrive. Our landmark developments in the UK span the breadth of Greater London, from our new riverside communities in Royal Wharf, London City Island and Embassy Gardens, where we have transformed underused land into lively new neighbourhoods, over to Brentford where we are reconnecting the High Street with the waterfront and revitalising the town centre. In Ireland, we develop homes across a number of counties and have established Dublin Landings as a new commercial centre at North Wall Quay. We are also working in partnership with Diageo and CIE to design and deliver mixed-use developments at the Guinness brewery and Connolly Station in Dublin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks an excellently balanced season I think given current times.  So pleased they are doing BOTH of the ENB Giselles - and most especially that the stunning Skeaping version is being seen in major Northern venues as is only right and fitting for a Company called 'English NATIONAL Ballet'.  Those on this Board who wanted a 'quick return' of the Skeaping to London will have got their New Year's gift early.  I certainly am not complaining.  This should help to keep the Company strong.  The combination of music too is a fine one - especially when played by the finest Dance Orchestra extant in the country and the ENB's previously resident Nutcracker certainly needed to be refreshed.  Fingers crossed for an unveiling of fresh seasonal magic with balletic delights that will both entertain audiences and challenge the fine Company artists for a goodly number of years to come.  These - also now definingly mixed with the new Forsthye - here marking both a fine adventure for this newly led Company and a key harbinger from the new Director's own past history - is something certainly to relish.  Assuredly with Forsthye you can NOW know that the balletic idiom will be at the forefront in the most imaginative light today possible.  I also think the exciting Digital programme - especially glorious that it is 'free to all comers' - should allow for a wider range/variety of anniversary delights than would have been physically possible on any stage programme (as much as I enjoyed Tamara's Anniversary fare bill at this same address and certainly the wonderful mixed programme at the RFH on the first wave's 'outer cusp' of the pandemic).  I would love to see them do this in tandem with the Jerome Robbins Dance Collection at the NYPL Lincoln Center for it certainly has a wide range of video from throughout that Company's history.  (Certainly key treats from the earliest LFB years.)  For a first 'New' season from a new Director within a Country limited by such fiscal challenges this is I think as fine as one could possibly have wished for.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

What a shockingly dull season. Two different Giselle's, one of which they only just performed this season, a triple (just trying to repeat the success of 2022 with another Forsythe programme) and then Nutcracker (admittedly it's about time they dispensed with that awful Eagling version). 

At least scrap the Giselle repeat and give us R&J or Corsaire! BRB has a much more interesting season. 

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 5

Our prayers have been answered… a new nutcracker! 

I think overall it’s a fitting programme for an anniversary season. Plus they have yet to announce their in the round ballet.

• Like 4

Both Giselles - great!

Forsythe programme - great!

New Nutcracker - we'll see (but has to be better than the current one!)

The 75th online celebration could be fun

All that engagement/futures/new stuff - remains to be seen, but doesn't exactly look satisfying fare

Could have done with another triple bill in there I reckon... 😉

• Like 3

Wow, Aaron did take us very literally at our word and give us Mary Skeaping's Giselle next year again, plus I and a few had asked for Akram's Giselle at Sadler's Wells! And a new Nutcracker- I know a number of members had asked for one (and they could have continued Eagling's Nutcracker for another 3 years at least without a drop in box office revenue).

We're going to have to be very careful (and responsible!) what we ask for next as we are either being listened to diligently and given what we ask for, or it's a coincidence that we have the same opinion!  😀 The soonest that I thought the Skeaping Giselle would come back was 2 years! Very pleased to see the Akram Giselle returning to Sadler's Wells so that we can see some new leads.  Wasn't expecting Arielle Smith to be the co-creator for the proposed new Nutcracker. I hope it doesn't turn out avant garde or non-classical- ENB needs a classical one that is suitable for children to the elderly.

Very, very pleased about the Forsythe premiere and I agree Playlist (EP) deserves another outing. Going to look up New Suite- I wonder if they mean his Neue Suite -  online now. The anniversary plans and online provision sound great. Well done to Aaron and his team!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

Delighted my prayers have been answered at least for a new Nutcracker and co-choreography by Arielle Smith. Interested to see what they will create. 

A nice mix of productions, happy with some of them than others, but hopefully will have wide interest/appeal. Feeling more optimistic than this time last year…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Emeralds said:

Very, very pleased about the Forsythe premiere and I agree Playlist (EP) deserves another outing. Going to refresh my memory with Neue Suite on YouTube now. The anniversary plans and online provision sound great. Well done to Aaron and his team!

Forgot to mention this in my excitement. Love Playlist and glad it’s balanced with something new.

• Like 2

I don’t want to criticise ENB given the financial times we’re in but agree with those saying this is disappointing - my word would be underwhelming!

I was very pleased to see Skeaping’s Giselle this year but precisely because of financial constraints I’m not tempted to see it again so soon next year, as much as I enjoyed it.

I really like Khan’s Giselle but I’ve seen it twice now so equally likely to give this a pass. I can see why this maybe makes more sense to revive as it’s been a couple of years and it does tend to sell very well. 

I may try and see the Forsythe bill but I have already seen EP/Playlist so it’s not a “must see” for me. I think it depends what the Royal is doing at the same time and balancing my own finances/schedules but doesn’t feel like something I’d go out of my way for (unlike BRB’s La Fille!). 

And to be honest if finances are so tight I don’t understand the investment in a new Nutcracker. That will sell regardless and I’d rather the money was spent elsewhere to be honest. (Although I appreciate I’m speaking as someone who has never seen ENB Nutcracker.)

there are more recent works that they could have repeated that I’d be happy with - either because I haven’t seen them or they have only been repeated once and over a year ago. I mean Raymonda, Mats Ek’s A Rite of Spring - both were works I was looking forward to but I had scheduling clashes meaning I couldn’t see them. 

It feels a step backwards from previous years where it’s been a nice mix of completely new work (either new creations of things like Balanchine not seen in London before) and revivals (but not so many revivals so soon after a previous season?). Usually there’s at least 2 programmes I’d go out of my way to see and get very excited for but this year it’s barely 1.

• Like 6

Just reading the Nutcracker info, it does sound rather "modern update" with the swetshop visit and all.. Hoping it's more like Helgi Tomasson's SFB update than Matthew Bourne or Christopher Hampson update! But the ballet hasn't been made yet, so will give Ms Smith and Mr Watkin a chance to make ir before worrying about it! 

1 hour ago, TSR101 said:

What a shockingly dull season. Two different Giselle's, one of which they only just performed this season, a triple (just trying to repeat the success of 2022 with another Forsythe programme) and then Nutcracker (admittedly it's about time they dispensed with that awful Eagling version). 

At least scrap the Giselle repeat and give us R&J or Corsaire! BRB has a much more interesting season. 

The Skeaping Giselle run in London is actually very short- only 4 days. This is the shortest January run and the longest London Nutcracker run they've scheduled of late (with a 3 day tryout in Southampton beforehand also)..No pressure for Smith and Watkin (!) but it will need to be a very classical Nutcracker rather than a "concept" Nutcracker like Deane's and Hampson's were (no "topical" references to celebrities or modern "trends" as those will date rapidly) as audiences will make repeat or multiple visits to a classical but not a "concept" production. 

Le Corsaire has not done as well at the box office in its last two outings in London as one might expect from a decent production despite brilliant dancing- it's just not well known enough a name to pull in the numbers to sell out a large opera house. 

I agree ENB hasn't presented a Romeo and Juliet post pandemic yet and both their Nureyev and Deane productions sell well, so could have done it in January, but they might have felt it was too soon with Northern Ballet bringing theirs to Sadler's Wells in June already, or perhaps the Royal Ballet has hinted they might do R&J for January 2025. They could well be planning R&J for their in-the-round visit to Royal Albert Hall in June, which hasn't been announced yet. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

If you're only able to have one triple bill, I really don't think it should be devoted to only one choreographer. It makes the season incredibly limited - both Giselles were done last season and the only other offering (at least at the moment) is a new Nutcracker.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Just reading the Nutcracker info, it does sound rather "modern update" with the swetshop visit and all.. Hoping it's more like Helgi Tomasson's SFB update than Matthew Bourne or Christopher Hampson update! But the ballet hasn't been made yet, so will give Ms Smith and Mr Watkin a chance to make ir before worrying about it! 

Hmmm it's a sweet shop visit, rather than a sweatshop - which doesn't sound too modern. I'd have preferred perhaps a regency setting to make a greater differentiation from the RB's version. I thought Watkin created a version for his old company - any details on what their version is like?

I personally have never understood why companies schedule so many Nutcrackers after Christmas when its nowhere near as popular then - there are weeks of December unused but then 12 days after in this run which eats into having a proper January London ballet rather than four days of a repeat.

So far I have to admit I am not much impressed with Watkin. 

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Hmmm it's a sweet shop visit, rather than a sweatshop - which doesn't sound too modern. I'd have preferred perhaps a regency setting to make a greater differentiation from the RB's version. I thought Watkin created a version for his old company - any details on what their version is like? I personally have never understood why they schedule so many Nutcrackers after Christmas - there are weeks of December unused but then 12 days after in this run. 

So far I have to admit I am not much impressed with Watkin so far. 

The last sweet shop reworking by Deane didn't last very long (5 seasons). The January Nutcrackers actually do sell out (both ENB & RB) as people who are away at Christmas itself will fit a visit in, those who have been ill or too busy (cooking or preparing Christmas for others) will also schedule a January visit to treat themselves, and others look for something cheery and beautiful amid the dark January days and nights. You can see some clips of Watkin and Beechey's Nutcracker for Semperoper Ballett on YouTube- quite traditional, nothing too radical. 

• Like 1

Well the positive is that at least I’ll be saving a lot of money, the negative is that, for me, it’s a total let down of a season.  Why would you perform two Giselle and after both have been seen so recently?  I’ve just seen Giselle and much as I loved it, I’d much rather see something I haven’t seen ever or in a long time. I have no interest in AK’s Giselle; I might go to the Forsyth and I think I might be all Nutcrackered out for a while.  When are we likely to get the RBs next season announcement?

• Like 6

Is ENB’s current nutcracker really that bad that it needs re choreographing? For those that have seen it is it vastly different to the Royal’s? 

One thing I always appreciated about ENB was although they tended to stage fewer works throughout the year than RB, it felt like it got the balance right between new/old/classical/contemporary and always had something a bit unexpected or exciting. I hope this announcement doesn’t indicate a more formulaic repertoire…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JNC said:

Is ENB’s current nutcracker really that bad that it needs re choreographing? For those that have seen it is it vastly different to the Royal’s? 

One thing I always appreciated about ENB was although they tended to stage fewer works throughout the year than RB, it felt like it got the balance right between new/old/classical/contemporary and always had something a bit unexpected or exciting. I hope this announcement doesn’t indicate a more formulaic repertoire…

Yes it needed scrapping from an artistic pov in 2010, the day after it premiered. It was a rushed job (as shown in the documentary A Year in the Life with the English Ballet' and it showed. It also had the ugliest Nutcracker doll known to man. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JNC said:

Yes and yes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Yes it needed scrapping from an artistic pov in 2010, the day after it premiered. It was a rushed job (as shown in the documentary A Year in the Life with the English Ballet' and it showed. It also had the ugliest Nutcracker doll known to man. 

fair enough then if it’s really that terrible I retract that maybe they shouldn’t be focussing on rechoreographing this! 

i still remain disappointed about the announcement overall though the more it sinks in. I’ve not seen Nureyev’s Romeo and Juliet so that would have appealed to me.

I find it also odd to focus on it being the 75th season and not do a celebration gala - the one they did for the 70th was fantastic. A missed opportunity. 

• Like 7

Looks like it's just Giselle for me then next year.  Thrilled that the Skeaping is coming back again, especially if the RB don't do their Giselle next year.  I need my yearly fix!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JNC said:

i still remain disappointed about the announcement overall though the more it sinks in. I’ve not seen Nureyev’s Romeo and Juliet so that would have appealed to me.

I find it also odd to focus on it being the 75th season and not do a celebration gala - the one they did for the 70th was fantastic. A missed opportunity. 

Likewise, I was really hoping for a gala to capture some of their high points.  

The rest is a bit meh for me.  I've seen Akram Khan's Giselle in Manchester and it was fine but I have no great desire to spend money on seeing it again.  I liked the Skeaping one but again I've seen it quite recently when I was in London so not sure I will bother with going to Manchester (unless one of my friends wants to go strongly). I tend to prefer seeing a variety of works rather than the same thing in different places.  

The Forsythe might be interesting if I'm in London but not something I'd travel to especially.  

All in all it's a bit tame and uninspired.  I think BRB and NB both have more interesting and varied things planned.  

• Like 3

I’m both excited and nervous about a new Nutcracker. I really enjoyed the Skeaping Giselle but I wasn’t desperate for it to be repeated so soon. I will probably still go though. I’m on the fence about a Forsythe triple. I would have loved a Gala but I appreciate that’s a lot on top of a brand new Nut. So overall- mixed feelings.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sim said:

Looks like it's just Giselle for me then next year.  Thrilled that the Skeaping is coming back again, especially if the RB don't do their Giselle next year.  I need my yearly fix!!

I would actually expect the RB to do their Giselle next season. It was last on in 2018 and 2021. Very likely for 24/25 I would have thought. 

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JNC said:

I am probably in the minority of two in this forum in liking ENB's Nutcracker for sentimental and personal reasons, as well as for the Snowflake, Chinese, Cossack/Russian/Trepak dances and Waltz of the Flowers, but mainly because it has a substantial ballerina role and danseur role- when they announce your favourite ballerina or danseur in it, they will be dancing in both acts rather than just one grand pas de deux and a few lifts/steps at the end. 

Whether regulars like or dislike Nutcracker productions in the past have made very little difference to the box office revenue which have always been successful (thank you Maestro Tchaikovsky). I have avoided various Nutcracker versions by RB & ENB at various times way back in the past and happily got on by watching their other productions while both companies still sold out their Nutcrackers. It's very different to RB's but Eagling certainly shows some influence from Ashton in some of the classical choreography which I'll miss. However  Dutch National Ballet still dance it so I suppose somewhere in the world someone is performing Eagling's version. Dutch National Ballet's production has different designs  which are more opulent because their production isn't intended to tour, I believe, unlike ENB's. Quite remarkable how different designs do make a difference: the production looked magnificent when it was shown online (although I missed the Spanish and Arabian Dances and didn't have time to rewatch). Eagling's version has lasted well over a decade at ENB so that's pretty successful for a production.

I do think this season is more "play safe" than 2023-24 but also listening to the requests of many fans who have requested Skeaping Giselle again, more Forsythe, Akram Giselle again (not Creature), new Nutcracker, tour Skeaping Giselle, more My First Ballet, so it's certainly in tune with their audiences and customers even if different sections of the audiences are asking different things. There's something in their trailer about Choreo Labs which looks like the outlet for new choreography- wonder where that will be performed? Even a small, Clore-studio sized showing of new works at the studio in their East London headquarters would be an exciting prospect if they don't want the risk/expense of a run at Sadler's Wells. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

I am very envious of the Forsythe evening.

2 hours ago, TSR101 said:

I'd have preferred perhaps a regency setting to make a greater differentiation from the RB's version.

Uh, judging by the costumes in the Royal Ballet's Nutcracker party scene, Julia Trevelyan Oman plonked it firmly in the Regency era (c.1795-1837).

Perhaps you're thinking of John Macfarlane's designs for the Birmingham Royal Ballet, which, with Frau Stahlbaum's stunning red gown with a bustle, are more 1870s, perhaps even 1880s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

I am very envious of the Forsythe evening.

Uh, judging by the costumes in the Royal Ballet's Nutcracker party scene, Julia Trevelyan Oman plonked it firmly in the Regency era (c.1795-1837).

Perhaps you're thinking of John Macfarlane's designs for the Birmingham Royal Ballet, which, with Frau Stahlbaum's stunning red gown with a bustle, are more 1870s, perhaps even 1880s.

To be honest, I have always considered RB's to be more early Victorian 1840s/1850s in style but I may misremembering the costumes! 

When I said Regency - I was thinking for 1810-1820 - more Jane Austen in design style. 

Edited by TSR101

1 minute ago, TSR101 said:

To be honest, I have always considered RB's to be more early Victorian 1840s/1850s in style but I may misremembering the costumes! 

The high waistlines place them between about 1800 and 1825-30. The narrow sleeves with varying degrees of puff at the shoulder in combination with the high waistlines suggest 1815-20.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

This is interesting. I will potentially skip Skeaping in Jan but very excited at the prospect of a new Nutcracker. Having written to Aaron S Watkin to plead for a new Nutcracker I am delighted it will happen and have already sent my thanks. I'd love it to be classical but either way, anything is better than the current production.

• Like 1

Actually, they could still schedule in a Gala celebration sometime in 2025 - if it is only 1 or 2 nights, it wouldn't need to be announced so far in advance in the season announcement. London Coliseum and Royal Festival Hall are venues with historical significance for the company that could stage it in spring or summer. It would be great if such a gala could include excerpts  from ballets that have been ENB highlights such as Hynd's Coppelia, La Sylphide, Swansong, Ashton's Romeo and Juliet, Les Sylphides, Corsaire, Dust, Petit's Carmen, Stevenson's Cinderella or Three Preludes,  Skeaping's Giselle, etc.

• Like 8

I'll admit to being a little surprised to see that Giselle is touring to both Manchester and Liverpool.  Given their relative closeness, I might have expected to see different ballets at each.

• Like 2

I’m in the tiny minority of liking Eagling’s Nutcracker too -  not sure what was so bad about it? 🤷‍♀️  I’m definitely up for something non-Nutcracker this year though, so fingers crossed the RB do something else (Dear Santa, please send me Coppélia this year!) Though it’s bound to be Cinderella.

• Like 3