Press Release: English National Ballet announces 75th Season

51 minutes ago, Fonty said:

It isn't just dance that suffers like this.  Why, why, why is it necessary to have everything SO LOUD?  I went to a performance of Rocky Horror last year, and my friend and I sat there with our fingers stuffed in our ears all night.  And she is hard of hearing!  It was so loud, it was impossible to make out any of the words when they were singing.  Nobody else seemed the slightest bit bothered, which was even more startling.  .   

My personal theory is that by walking around all day with headphones or ear buds and music thumping through their heads for extended periods, many people today have done/are doing irreparable damage to their hearing hence the need to turn the volume up on everything.

Even the Police & emergency services sirens have had to turn the volume up to attract attention (or so it seems to me).

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 3

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not safe for the artists, stage crew and audiences to be subjected to such loud sound volumes for Creature and the dancers on stage don't have the luxury of being able to wear ear plugs (although musicians and stage crew can- you'd be amazed how many professional musicians actually use ear plugs discreetly) and the company and choreographer are opening themselves to the risk of litigation if someone does lose a significant amount of their hearing. 

Another warning for those not keen on loud shows or don't wish to suffer severe deafness in 10 years' time- the musical Hamilton is also amplified ridiculously loudly at Victoria Palace Theatre. My whole family had to watch some sections with hands over our ears 5 years ago because it was just far too loud- it was ludicrous. A decent show ruined by poor technical decisions. I wonder if they've turned the volume lower nowadays- I'm sure we weren't the only ones who pointed it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

It isn't just dance that suffers like this.  Why, why, why is it necessary to have everything SO LOUD?  I went to a performance of Rocky Horror last year, and my friend and I sat there with our fingers stuffed in our ears all night.  And she is hard of hearing!  It was so loud, it was impossible to make out any of the words when they were singing.  Nobody else seemed the slightest bit bothered, which was even more startling.  .   

Exactly what I think too! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Does anyone know when tickets for Akram Khan's Giselle at Sadler's Wells go on sale? It says they open Spring 2024 which I assumed would be now, or at some point this month...

Whenever the new Sadlers Wells season goes onsale to its members. Keep an eye out for announcements and check the SW website now and again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2024 at 12:36, art_enthusiast said:

Does anyone know when tickets for Akram Khan's Giselle at Sadler's Wells go on sale? It says they open Spring 2024 which I assumed would be now, or at some point this month...

booking dates
Patrons: Monday 18 March, 10am
Rehearsal members: Wednesday 20 March, 10am
Members: Friday 22 March, 10am
General public on sale date: Monday 25 March, 10am

Book online from 10am but remember to log in to your account first.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...