Manon, Royal Ballet Winter 2024

1 minute ago, Emeralds said:

After the reactions from today's and last Monday's performance, I think it's very clear that today's performance must not be Sarah Lamb nor Ryoichi Hirano's last performance as Manon and Des Grieux. I've been to a lot of performances of Manon (even the Guillem, Mukhamedov, Acosta, Cojocaru, Rojo ones) and I've yet to come across a standing ovation.  I've always thought Ryoichi could do ardour and passion well, and am just surprised it's taken so long and an injury substitution for him to get his opportunity as Des Grieux. The audiences - and the box office - clearly love them (both their performances were sold out quite early). Manon has been very, very successful at the box office. It needs to come back within 2 years- with Lamb and Hirano as one of the scheduled pairings. 

There was a standing ovation (at least in my section) tonight for Hayward and Campbell. 

• Like 3

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, lady emily said:

There was a standing ovation (at least in my section) tonight for Hayward and Campbell. 

I thought there would be given that Alexander Campbell is leaving (am expecting one oh Friday for Campbell's absolute final farewell too)....I think for Federico Bonelli's farewell we stood up and stayed standing for ages throughout the speeches as well! (Not sure why we didn't  sit down!) Sounds like the company had a great double show day today, @lady emily. 👍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Emeralds said:

I thought there would be given that Alexander Campbell is leaving (am expecting one oh Friday for Campbell's absolute final farewell too)....I think for Federico Bonelli's farewell we stood up and stayed standing for ages throughout the speeches as well! (Not sure why we didn't  sit down!) Sounds like the company had a great double show day today, @lady emily. 👍 

I didn't get the impression that a lot of people in the audience knew that Alexander is retiring though! I thought that the cheering for him at the end was going to be much louder! But I often find that Saturday evenings have audiences that are more casual goers. 

• Like 3

There were a lot of people standing in the Orchestra Stalls at the end of tonight's performance - although from the timing my interpretation was initially that many of them were trying to film the curtain calls more than anything else - although a lot of people stood up later, too.

• Like 1

Utterly spoiled by yesterday’s double Manon. Two unforgettable performances.
A privilege to see Sarah Lamb’s Manon and like others I do hope that’s not her final Manon. Sarah was extraordinarily generous at the Stage Door and in Floral Street, emerging in dressing gown and Manon’s wig, then donning a coat when outside in the damp. I thought Ryoichi Hirano more relaxed in his second Des Grieux and his Act 3 was particularly strong. James Hay was a hugely impressive Lescaut.

Last night’s Manon was one of those truly exceptional evenings, Francesca Hayward and Alex Campbell intoxicating throughout. Valentino Zucchetti and Leticia Dias gave strong performances. Gary Avis and Nicol Edmonds were appropriately evil. And a shout out for Kristen McNally’s Madame and Marco Masciari’s Beggar Chief. It all made for a thrilling Royal Ballet performance with Francesca Hayward raising the bar yet again on her Manon. Fabulous to see Francesca and Alex at the Stage Door.

Of the eleven performances I’ve seen this run, including the General Rehearsal and cinema relay, last night’s is the one I’d most like to see again. So I’m looking forward immensely to Friday. I’m sure any tickets will quickly be snapped up and those fortunate to be able to do so are in for a treat. But before then on Tuesday it’s the Hamilton cast and who knows if that may change my view.

• Like 17

An exceptionally moving performance last night, emotion heightened by the fact that it was my penultimate opportunity to see one of my five favourite dancers of the last ten years in what I think one of his best roles (although, favouritism apart, I can’t think I have ever thought him other than outstanding in everything I have seen him do) in one of my two favourite full length works in The Royal Ballet repertoire.

I have a ticket for Friday, so will write more after that, but realise how lucky I am to be seeing his last two performances, just as I was lucky to see Laura Morera (another of those five) in her last two Giselles.

On both occasions, quite by chance, each was dancing with the partner with whom they seemed to have the closest onstage connection: Morera with Federico Bonelli (another of those five), Campbell with Francesca Hayward.

And a shout out for Valentino Zucchetti: it was great to see him back on stage and in such viciously scintillating form.

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 8

A fabulous evening last night.  This was by far the best thing I have seen Hayward do; she was scintillating.  Campbell was as wonderful as I thought he would be.  Des Grieux is a difficult character to perform, as if the dancer is not careful he can come across as a bit of a wimp, unable to stand up and fight for his woman.  This was never going to be an issue with Campbell.  I felt the struggle between him and Lescaut was a genuine battle which the latter was always going to win because he knows his sister so well.   

Hayward and Campbell seem to fit together perfectly.  During the bedroom pdd, I felt a bit like a peeping Tom, their dancing was so intimate.  The final was truly tragic, especially as I know I will never see them together again.  Unless I am supremely lucky and manage to get a ticket for next Friday.

On that topic, I was sitting in the bar during the first interval and I overheard a conversation between two people.  They had clearly been to the matinee as well, and seemed to think the rest of the evening performance was not worth staying for.  They went off to catch an earlier train.   I am prepared to bet a tenner that this couple were not in expensive seats, and were probably occupying two SCS places.  To say that I was angry was an understatement, with tickets for Campbell's last performances like gold dust.  :angry:  Why do people do this? I call it being greedy.  

• Like 10

Cinderella is going to the ball!  Thanks to a very kind forum member I now have a ticket for Friday night.  I am thrilled.  

Reading all of the reviews above reiterates my total bafflement as to why RB management decided to pretty much cut Alex out of performances for the past few years.  I am at a loss to understand it.  Didn't they see his unforgettable Romeo with Yasmine Naghdi?  His brilliant and sympathetic portrayal of Benno, usually a role no more than a bland wingman for Siegfried?  His wonderful Oberon?  I could go Oberon and on....but I don't want to start my Sunday with anger.

• Like 17

I’ve put some thoughts about last night on the Alexander Campbell appreciation thread but, to add to that, it was a great performance from everyone. It was lovely to see Valentino Zucchetti back on stage, Marco Masciari had a real swagger and youthful arrogance as the beggar chief and Nicol Edmund’s gaoler gave me chills every time he stood at the side of the stage looking into the audience!

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

That database is full of holes, or at least it was the last time I checked. It could be missing a few.

So I learned when trying to look up some "stats" a few weeks ago!! 😳

• Like 1

Well that was a strange night for me....all going fine until just before the first Act PDD when I succumbed to one of my occasional migraines which (apart from the headache and sick feeling) affects my vision for a while. I stayed in situ trying to watch, and could sense I was missing out proper enjoyment of a really  wonderful performance by Alex and Frankie!

Fortunately I also have tickets for Friday,  and all being well I should be OK for that.

I had meant to try and meet  other Members in the interval but didn't feel up to it... so my best wishes in absentia to those who were there.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Well that was a strange night for me....all going fine until just before the first Act PDD when I succumbed to one of my occasional migraines which (apart from the headache and sick feeling) affects my vision for a while. I stayed in situ trying to watch, and could sense I was missing out proper enjoyment of a really  wonderful performance by Alex and Frankie!

Fortunately I also have tickets for Friday,  and all being well I should be OK for that.

I had meant to try and meet  other Members in the interval but didn't feel up to it... so my best wishes in absentia to those who were there.  

I'm so sorry RichardLH! I hope you're OK for Friday's performance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I’m sorry to hear this. I too suffer from aura migraines and know how disorientating and debilitating they are. I hope you enjoy Friday’s performance and that it will help to compensate for yesterday’s one that was ruined. I am really looking forward to Friday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You have my sympathy Richard LH am so very glad do not get these “classic” migraines any more preceded by the dreaded visual disturbance. I even saw a depiction of my aura in one of Oliver Sacks books!! Luckily they stopped in my early 50’s but were a scourge for many years from the age of 14 about every 3 months or so. 
Hope all is well for you by  Friday which I think will be a very special performance!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, what a pity @Richard LH  I do sympathise, I get the visual disturbances myself and I appreciate there is absolutely nothing that can be done except find a quiet place to recover.  Fingers crossed you are better for next Friday.  And if not, you know where to send the ticket!  :D

I did search for @Jamesrhblack and @Beaker  After seeing a lot of women in green dresses, and accosting two gentlemen with glasses wearing blue jackets, who were not James, I bumped into an old friend at the bar.  Spent the rest of the intervals gossiping with them, although I did manage a brief encounter with the two strangers I was seeking as I dashed off to the Ladies before the last act. Maybe get together next time we happen to be there on the same day.  

• Thanks 1

On 29/02/2024 at 06:01, Dawnstar said:

I've just been looking up the ROH performance database & found he first performed the Gaoler in 2005, so that's a lot of experience in Manon-assaulting! Though I'm slightly susprised to find the several years younger Whitehead has been doing the Gaoler for even longer, starting in 2003.

Gary Avis was one of those who left the RB with Tetsuya Kumakawa in 1999 to co-found K-Ballet in Japan. The documentary series BalletBoyz had an episode dealing with this very upsetting (for the dancers) time. The documentary makers Michael Nunn and Billy Trevitt (whose son Elijah, a graduate of RBS, is a member of AusBallet's corps) were also co-founders of K-Ballet.

When Avis returned to the UK he danced with ENB for a couple of years before rejoining the RB in 2004. He was appointed Principal Character Artist in 2005. This 4-5 year break would seem to account for his not having performed the Gaoler until 2005.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 29/02/2024 at 07:26, li tai po said:

If I remember correctly from the premiere and the scene with the gaoler's wife, which was cut after the first season, the gaoler took the bracelet from his wife and gave it to Manon, which caused a jealous outburst - David Drew and Georgina Parkinson.

Gaoler's Mistress, not wife. I still have my programme from a July 1974 performance with Merle Park, Rudolf Nureyev, Desmond Kelly, and, as you cite, Drew and Parkinson.

sophoife_b8ff824c56954550ad2d0c21a758d0f8.jpg.4fe777bd5e5477c09f53e1acbe2fe35b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I am prepared to bet a tenner that this couple were not in expensive seats, and were probably occupying two SCS places.

on the side that I was standing all SCS were full from before the performance until the last curtain call. however, during Act 3,  there were some empty seats in my sightline both in stalls circle and orchestra stalls.  can I claim the tenner? shall I send you my bank details? 🙂 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterS said:

on the side that I was standing all SCS were full from before the performance until the last curtain call. however, during Act 3,  there were some empty seats in my sightline both in stalls circle and orchestra stalls.  can I claim the tenner? shall I send you my bank details? 🙂 

Could you see all the SCS places @PeterS  ?  If you can draw me a floor plan, and show that you counted every single space....then I might consider sending the tenner.  :)

Actually, it doesn't really matter if these people were in a cheap seat or an expensive one.  The point is they left after the first act.  They seemed to be saying that the performance wasn't a good one, and they gave the impression they were cutting their losses and going home early.  

I think these people must have been a bit mad, to be honest.  And occupying places that dedicated Campbell fans would have killed for.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

On that topic, I was sitting in the bar during the first interval and I overheard a conversation between two people.  They had clearly been to the matinee as well, and seemed to think the rest of the evening performance was not worth staying for.  They went off to catch an earlier train.   I am prepared to bet a tenner that this couple were not in expensive seats, and were probably occupying two SCS places.  To say that I was angry was an understatement, with tickets for Campbell's last performances like gold dust.  :angry:  Why do people do this? I call it being greedy.  

It's possible that they were seated elsewhere, but either way, to be committed enough to book both performances but to only stay for Act 1 is rather ridiculous, especially when the drama swells so much from act to act (which you think they would have noticed having seen the matinee).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Hope you are now feeling better, @Richard LH, I sympathise! Very unlucky to get a migraine during a performance!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Could you see all the SCS places @PeterS  ?  If you can draw me a floor plan, and show that you counted every single space....then I might consider sending the tenner.  :)

Actually, it doesn't really matter if these people were in a cheap seat or an expensive one.  The point is they left after the first act.  They seemed to be saying that the performance wasn't a good one, and they gave the impression they were cutting their losses and going home early.  

I think these people must have been a bit mad, to be honest.  And occupying places that dedicated Campbell fans would have killed for.  

I agree that IMHO at least these people missed out on an evening of magnificence.

However, one person’s meat is another’s soya protein macnugget. If what I read on here is true even seasoned forumites will pick and choose which bits of a ballet evening they are prepared to watch notwithstanding external constraints necessitating a late arrival or early departure. 
You and I can bask in the enjoyment of a full evening well spent. 

• Like 4

Perhaps those who left had enjoyed the matinee so much that seeing different dancers simply didn’t ‘do’ it for them in the same way? Of course I am sure from reading the reviews that Campbell and Hayward were amazing, but it seems that so too were Hirano and Lamb - and their performance may have touched those who left in the evening in a way that Campbell and Hayward didn’t, for whatever reason. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

Gaoler's Mistress, not wife. I still have my programme from a July 1974 performance with Merle Park, Rudolf Nureyev, Desmond Kelly, and, as you cite, Drew and Parkinson.

sophoife_b8ff824c56954550ad2d0c21a758d0f8.jpg.4fe777bd5e5477c09f53e1acbe2fe35b.jpg

Wow, that's gold dust, Sophoife- you've kept that programme really well for 50 years! That's from the first run of the ballet isn't it? - amazing feat. I am also impressed with the way all the corps de ballet members have been named in the ensemble: American producers do it now due to the performers' union rules but RB has sadly gone backward. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

Perhaps those who left had enjoyed the matinee so much that seeing different dancers simply didn’t ‘do’ it for them in the same way? Of course I am sure from reading the reviews that Campbell and Hayward were amazing, but it seems that so too were Hirano and Lamb - and their performance may have touched those who left in the evening in a way that Campbell and Hayward didn’t, for whatever reason. 

Also, I feel for a lot of people (me included) it would be a bit of a reach to watch two performances of the same ballet consecutively - although I don't think I would have booked to do so!  However much I would wish to see the different dancers, there is a limit to how long I can sit still and, even more, how much concentration I can give to such emotional entertainment.  Rather like an art gallery visit - there are always more Grand Masters to see, but an hour or two at a time is enough if I am actually appreciating what I am seeing.  I know others on here watched both performances with pleasure but it's probably an acquired level of concentration and not for many.

Edited by Missfrankiecat
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

Also, I feel for a lot of people (me included) it would be a bit of a reach to watch two performances of the same ballet consecutively - although I don't think I would have booked to do so! 

Gone are my days of doing the 'double header', as my knees (and back) can no longer take the standing for that long. But I know of several people who did do the double on Saturday, and not that long ago, I'd have been joining them

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

A pity for Hirano that his 2nd ever performance of a role could well be his last. It's a shame that he didn't get at least a couple of goes at it. At least Lamb has had several runs of Manon, although 14 performances (if my maths is correct) over 13 years shows how few times dancers ever get to do roles. (Having just looked up the ROH performance database to see how may times she's danced Manon, I'm interested to see she previously danced the Mistress, which I hadn't been aware of.)

she also danced Manon at La Scala, at least she got to do an extra few performances elsewhere!

EDIT: Ops sorry I see someone else already pointed it out

Edited by AnticaFiamma
  • Thanks 1

When we lived hundreds of miles from London, my husband and I often did ‘Saturday doubles’.

We were able to make these work by having an extensive ‘debrief’ discussion in between the shows which enabled us to approach the evening performance with fresh eyes.

When, more recently, I have tried to watch two consecutively on my own, I have found it somewhat overwhelming and my appreciation of the second has felt diminished.

• Like 6

I did "do the double" standing for both shows once. It was opening day & night for (funnily enough) Manon when it was revived after a long hiatus....Viviana Durante dancing with Bruce Sansom in the matinee and filling in for Darcey Bussell with Irek Mukhamedov in the evening. I've done the double a few times since (saves on one return train journey and sometimes it's the only option if there are engineering works or industrial action on other days!) but always seated, never standing. After a good dinner, I'm always fresh and ready for show number 2! Whether it's perceived to be better or not, the thought of saving on the train and parking costs always makes it feel like a bonus treat and not "unfortunate comparisons". 😉 

Leaving before Act 2 seems silly though, unless feeling ill or due to some emergency. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Wow, that's gold dust, Sophoife- you've kept that programme really well for 50 years! That's from the first run of the ballet isn't it? - amazing feat. I am also impressed with the way all the corps de ballet members have been named in the ensemble: American producers do it now due to the performers' union rules but RB has sadly gone backward. 

Thank you! I absolutely hate the online cast lists we get these days - no souvenirs!

Back in 1974 as you can see, the cast list was actually stapled in to the programme and printed on glossy paper.

The first five performances at the ROH of Manon were in March 1974, and all were Sibley and Dowell. According to the ROH database which we take with a pinch of salt, there was then the July performance I saw, followed the same year by three November performances (one Sibley and Dowell, the other two Park and Nureyev). In 1975 Natalia Makarova became the third person to dance the title role at the ROH.

The Gaoler's Mistress appeared as a named role in just those first six performances. By November she and her scene had disappeared, never to return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sophoife said:

I absolutely hate the online cast lists we get these days - no souvenirs!

I do agree with this; sometimes it seems a step 'forwards' is more like a backward one. Especially when it is for the convenience of the vendor, and not the consumer

• Like 2