Manon, Royal Ballet Winter 2024

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem a shame that they couldn’t mark this occasion by scheduling a performance of Manon today, and a missed publicity opportunity- but currently they don’t seem too good at that.  I think there is a reference on the ROH Instagram .

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone dying to see a final Manon tomorrow night and/or shed a tear for the departing Alex Campbell, there have been quite a few tickets at all prices popping up today, especially after 4pm.  Worth periodic popping on the website if you are looking.  I managed to upgrade my amphitheatre seat in the last half hour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

Anyone dying to see a final Manon tomorrow night and/or shed a tear for the departing Alex Campbell, there have been quite a few tickets at all prices popping up today, especially after 4pm.  Worth periodic popping on the website if you are looking.  I managed to upgrade my amphitheatre seat in the last half hour.

Well, every time I have been on the only thing available has been a box.  Or half a box, I am not quite sure, but at £560 I am not really very interested.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Well, every time I have been on the only thing available has been a box.  Or half a box, I am not quite sure, but at £560 I am not really very interested.  

The boxes have been on for a couple of days - unsurprisingly, they don't seem to be shifting as its a lot of money unless you are a foursome, two of whom don't mind seeing practically nothing of the stage!  But I have seen singles and doubles at £140 (stalls), and several at £99 or under dotted round the auditorium today, including one balcony standing!  All moving very swiftly.  I managed front amphitheatre eventually, which is about right for me on my own just to see Campbell's farewell.

Edited by Missfrankiecat
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2024 at 13:29, MJW said:

I would certainly echo many of the comments above regarding last night's performance. Despite a long day at work and suffering from a mild cold (I managed not to have a coughing fit or sneeze throughout) I so glad I decided to go ahead last night (having booked for this performance some time ago); partly as James Hay was performing but also having seen Calvin Richardson perform the bedroom scene in the Diamond Celebration in 2022 and having thought I good he was.

So glad the run seems to have sold so well (without the need for discounting) and that so many people have enjoyed the performances.

From last night:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4K6Affo9lK/

Just following up on my earlier post regarding Tuesday's performance:

1. Bag searches - I know these are a pain but necessary but the chap who was supposed to check my bag barely have me time to even unzip it before he waived me off. What's the point? If an eco-demonstrator manages to get in and spray paint or whatever, I wouldn't be surprised.

2. Having seen Gary Avis as Monsieur G.M. in my two previous performances in this run,  his not performing on Tuesday just showed what an excellent actor he is - the malevolence and arrogance of his character could be felt across the auditorium. I'm afraid Christopher Saunders came across more as an avuncular uncle.

There was a third point, but I can't remember what it was now...

p.s. apologies if this comes across as a very formal post with numbered points, but I am still in work mode 😆

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MJW said:

p.s. apologies if this comes across as a very formal post with numbered points, but I am still in work mode 😆

LOL

I think one of the main things they are looking out for is booze

And maybe picnics

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

LOL

I think one of the main things they are looking out for is booze

And maybe picnics

Clearly they must have X-ray vision...

• Like 3

I doubt  they are really checking for food, judging by the number of picnics I have seen recently going on, on the terrace in particular. I have been known to eat a sandwich there myself, with a drink from the bar, -but I was very taken aback to see one couple spreading out the contents of tupperware boxes and M&S deli selections in a sort of smorgasbord on the ledge right by the cloakroom- some very smelly things too, charcuterie I think.

A little bit off I thought!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Shouldn't hers be the oldest, given she's been dancing the role for the longest? (According to the ROH database Cuthbertson debuted in November 2011, Hamilton & Hayward both in September 2014.)

Not necessarily.  Some costumes may date back to the original production, or nearly, depending on how much they've been used.  If a dancer can fit into a previously used costume, they'll use it.  Look at some old costumes and it can be really enlightening to see the name labels in it and see who's danced the role previously in it.  Costumes get renewed or replaced as and when: Cuthbertson's dress seemed to me to be of a more modern pattern than the others. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not generally in favour of entrance applause for Des Grieux, as he doesn't make an entrance as such but wanders on while 2 of the Courtesans are dancing, but given tonight is Campbell's last performance I'm thinking an exception should/will be made?

• Like 2

That will depend on whether anyone actually notices :) 

Incidentally, one of the things I've been meaning to mention: the cast sheet last time round mentioned that Hayward was replacing Takada, but didn't mention that Mistress was also replaced.  It would be nice if this could be done tonight, although I bet it won't be.

EDIT: Okay, I see there's no need, and Choe will be dancing anyway.  Good!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alison said:

That will depend on whether anyone actually notices :) 

Incidentally, one of the things I've been meaning to mention: the cast sheet last time round mentioned that Hayward was replacing Takada, but didn't mention that Mistress was also replaced.  It would be nice if this could be done tonight, although I bet it won't be.

Alison, did you get your ticket? Wasn't sure if you were still looking. PS Was Yuhui Choe the original Mistress for tonight's cast? She's listed on the cast list but Leticia Dias danced last Saturday, I believe. 

I got *a* ticket, yes, but no improvement on what I got last Friday.  And yes, I believe Choe was down for both performances, but Dias did dance on Saturday.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm not generally in favour of entrance applause for Des Grieux, as he doesn't make an entrance as such but wanders on while 2 of the Courtesans are dancing, but given tonight is Campbell's last performance I'm thinking an exception should/will be made?

Well Vadim got applause on entrance in the performance I saw recently......conversely Frankie didn't get any applause on her entrance last Saturday...I did try at first but it didn't catch on which is always a bit embarrassing!

Maybe if enough of us try tonight when Alex enters!? Assuming it can be coordinated, since as @Dawnstar suggests, it is rather an informal entrance which I usually manage to miss!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

That was rather a surprise when Lescaut lifted her veil!

No entrance applause for Campbell either.

I didn't feel I could because others were dancing. But I clapped (and sobbed) internally...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I didn't feel I could because others were dancing. But I clapped (and sobbed) internally...

I couldn't because from where I'm sitting I can't see Des Grieux until well after he's entered.

• Like 1

Beautiful photos indeed. Wonderful souvenirs of a very emotional, but also heart-warming evening. The feeling was palpable in the auditorium: here was an artist not only admired and respected by his colleagues and audience but loved too. 

• Like 15

Btw, I did go down to the Floral Hall at the first interval to see if I could find any Forumites, but the usual table wasn't there and I couldn't see anyone familiar. Apologies if there was a gathering and I didn't see it!

• Like 2

As for the rest of the performance, Zucchetti and Masciari were standouts for me and Viola Pantuso made so much of her small featured role as the girl dressed in boy's clothes. I think she'll be going places. And Gary Avis's acting is just next level. I was having a hard time looking away from his interactions with Frankie at the table. What a special night!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, nycitybird said:

As for the rest of the performance, Zucchetti and Masciari were standouts for me and Viola Pantuso made so much of her small featured role as the girl dressed in boy's clothes. I think she'll be going places. And Gary Avis's acting is just next level. I was having a hard time looking away from his interactions with Frankie at the table. What a special night!

Pantuso stood out for me as well. Happy I’ll be seeing her in Winter’s Tale 

• Like 2