Manon, Royal Ballet Winter 2024

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Let’s not forget their Don Q. The big lift went on for so long that the audience started to laugh and then could only applaud.

Well done Tony, I knew about that partnership (two runs!) but got sidetracked trying to go through the new creations....!

16 minutes ago, alison said:

Golly.  How did I not see that?

Lauren and Matthew actually danced on press night in 2019 but I think the regulars were a bit distracted that it was going to be Nunez + Muntagirov, Osipova + Corrales, and Naghdi + Sambe double debuts. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if Madame is supposed to be one of G.M.'s former mistresses? The possibility had occurred to me previously but I thought about it again on Wednesday when at one point in Act II as Avis's G.M. got up from the card table & walked past Arestis's Madame he put his hand on her shoulder in a rather caressing, intimate way.

It seems I now have Manon stuck in my subconscious as well as my conscious mind. I dozed off this afternoon & dreamed that I was at the ROH & an older man was trying to make me accept a red dress in a Harrods bag! Unlike Manon I was sensible enough to turn him down & walk off! (In real life if any man tried to give me anything I'd suggest he got his eyes tested & went for someone much prettier than me!)

• Like 8

It was my first time to see Sambe in a principal role this afternoon, and it definitely would not be my last. I always knew he was technically strong, but I did not know he could act and convey that much. Some male principals, to my eyes, overdo (or overreact) in Manon's death scene; Sambe's somewhat subdued response in the final scene really made sense to me. He was a very earnest young man in agony. His extensions in his introduction variation in Act 1 were very beautiful and strong, with very minor wobbles, and of course he can jump and turn.

Everyone knows how perfect Franky is as Manon, so I would not need to repeat.

My question after seeing today's performance. Why wasn't Mayara given a chance to perform as Manon in the current run??? I know the Royal Ballet has too many female talents to choose from, but still, I felt she should be given a chance already.

I apologize for my random, unorganized comments above, as I am typing this on my phone in transit.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

Hayward and Sambé this afternoon. No words - just sublime!

« No words » is the right description - knew what was coming but it still hit me like a train wreck …thankfully not seeing any other casts … one more show like that and I think I would actually break down in tears…. 
I need to go see Don Q or something really light next… Even Song of the Earth and Marguerite & Armand at SF Ballet was a bit too much for me… perhaps I’ll stick to Symphony in C 😁

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Texan said:

It was my first time to see Sambe in a principal role this afternoon, and it definitely would not be my last. I always knew he was technically strong, but I did not know he could act and convey that much. Some male principals, to my eyes, overdo (or overreact) in Manon's death scene; Sambe's somewhat subdued response in the final scene really made sense to me. He was a very earnest young man in agony. His extensions in his introduction variation in Act 1 were very beautiful and strong, with very minor wobbles, and of course he can jump and turn.

My question after seeing today's performance. Why wasn't Mayara given a chance to perform as Manon in the current run??? I know the Royal Ballet has too many female talents to choose from, but still, I felt she should be given a chance already.

I apologize for my random, unorganized comments above, as I am typing this on my phone in transit.

I agree, Texan, Marci is so wonderful at conveying emotion subtly and beautifully (I can comment with no authority on technique, but thought his variation declaring his love for Manon in Act 1 this afternoon was wonderful!). I was fortunate enough to see his Mayerling (again with Frankie) in the last run and found him very moving. 

I also second your comment about Mayara being given a chance at Manon now - she is a wonderful Mistress (and I've seen her in the role quite a lot!) and now I'd love to see what she would make of Manon.

Alexander Campbell was the best Lescaut I've seen - very funny, without overdoing it, in the drunken Pas de deux.  Also convincing as a player who would pimp out his sister and wallop poor Mayara (I really didn't like him at that point!). @Sim you were quite right, I was very impressed!

Thoroughly enjoyed this afternoon - though not sure I can take another (booked for Friday) - it's quite difficult to enter the world of Manon where women are treated so poorly, even if the dancing is wonderful!

Edited by Cescablue
  • Like 12

13 minutes ago, Texan said:

He was a very earnest young man in agony. His extensions in his introduction variation in Act 1 were very beautiful and strong, with very minor wobbles, and of course he can jump and turn.

I saw Sambé/Hayward on the first night, they certainly took my breath away. After their Mayerling I made a point of booking for them as a pairing. (Hoping they’ll also be doing The Dream together)

I agree that Mayara is extremely ready for Manon - she’s certainly given stunning performances as Mistress so far - but I guess that there may have been some final performances reserved for the more experienced principals in this run (hopefully not final for all, but you never know).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrisG said:

Absolutely. Sublime. Both together and individually. Hayward a highly reluctant gold-digger, positively skittish in her ecstatic love for DG; Sambé in complete thrall to his adored Manon and unable to believe the disaster that befalls them. Both of them danced unbelievably beautifully and expressively, as if with one body and one heart. And a tremendous supporting cast again (Campbell, Magri, Avis, Edmonds et al). Sublime.

• Like 17

On 09/02/2024 at 23:36, Paco said:

At the end of tonight's performance, Kevin O'Hare went on stage to celebrate the 25 years of Roberto Bolle at Royal Ballet. As he said in his speech "Roberto is not really a guest star for us, rather a company member". As always, Kevin delivered a beautiful speech with lots of touching words.

I appreciate this is going back to a previous week, for anyone wishing to hear Kevin O'Hare's speech at the end of Manon on the occasion of Roberto Bolle's 25 years with the Royal Ballet it is here. 

https://youtu.be/KrytUJHqGKc?si=C1zpPjohH7Bx_f4k

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I agree that Mayara is extremely ready for Manon - she’s certainly given stunning performances as Mistress so far - but I guess that there may have been some final performances reserved for the more experienced principals in this run (hopefully not final for all, but you never know).

Agree that Magri will be a very fine Manon but just to mention that there were two runs of the ballet after Yasmine Naghdi was made a Principal in 2017 yet

she didn’t make her debut in the title role until this year - a wait of 7 years.

Maybe by way of ‘compensation’ Magri appears to have had a ‘larger than most’ amount of stage time (and cinema relays) this season.

23 minutes ago, Roberta said:

I appreciate this is going back to a previous week, for anyone wishing to hear Kevin O'Hare's speech at the end of Manon on the occasion of Roberto Bolle's 25 years with the Royal Ballet it is here. 

https://youtu.be/KrytUJHqGKc?si=C1zpPjohH7Bx_f4k

I was surprised to see that the statement about Roberto was on every cast sheet, even though he was only dancing twice. That’s more recognition than is sometimes afforded celebrations of real historical significance to the RB.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Cescablue said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this afternoon - though not sure I can take another (booked for Friday) - it's quite difficult to enter the world of Manon where women are treated so poorly, even if the dancing is wonderful!

I am also booked for Friday next week. If you see a guy bravoing at Fumi with American Southern accent in the stalls, that would be me.

However, a part of me thinks that I should just try to keep that image of Sambe in the final scene. I am not sure if I would be ready to see a very different DG (I am assuming) with Vadim.

• Like 2

Even with that awful wig Francesca Hayward still manages to look absolutely luminously beautiful.  

Sambe has never been my first choice in a role like this, but it seems I may have to check him out in future - he’s certainly a stunning bravura dancer, but I’m really keen to see them together when I next get the chance.  There are too many wonderful pairings for my budget unfortunately, but I’m very excited for my final Manon on Friday - fingers crossed for a stunning Kaneko/Muntagirov interpretation. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I was surprised to see that the statement about Roberto was on every cast sheet, even though he was only dancing twice. That’s more recognition than is sometimes afforded celebrations of real historical significance to the RB.

I suspect Roberto Bolle is popular among the company and management, a trouper who can be relied on to fly in and perform. It's clear Kevin O'Hare thinks highly of him and Nunez was obviously thrilled. 25 years of association with the Royal Ballet is quite noteworthy and he is an international star. It must be difficult when you're a guest and not really rooted anywhere to be able to have these small celebrations. Though he still looks amazing, Bolle can't go on dancing at this level forever so the opportunity was taken to say thank you. I think these events cost little (a short speech, a line of print and a bottle of bubbly) and bring joy to many. Bolle was obviously greatly touched. It's all nicely human. 

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 15

Very much enjoyed Manon this evening. The crowd was definitely in to see Nunez/Bolle and applause was forthcoming at every possible moment. Great performances from both, although did not feel the electricity between them or the depth of character in the way Hayward has with Sambe. Having said that, there is evidently a deep connection in terms of dance partnership.  Particularly enjoyed their act 3 pas de deux, which was heartbreaking as ever. 

Hirano and Mendizabel greatly amused in their act 2 pas de deux, a very receptive audience laughed in all of the right places. 
All over far too quickly so glad to be getting another viewing next week, this time with Kaneko/Muntagirov.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Rob S said:

I’m really pleased to see the ratcatcher’s limp is healing up, not nearly as bad as previous performances 🙂

As we’re now just over 4 weeks since my broken ankle, I’m not really available as a substitute any more. 🤓

• Like 10

Not sure if there is some sort of “in joke” going on here but if you have really broken your ankle BBB  four weeks is still early days so hoping you have a speedy recovery back to normality Breaking bones can be just so disruptive and annoying for your life. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChrisG said:

I want to comment on the Manon matinee yesterday afternoon but I’m still struggling to find the words. It was awesome and one of those very special performances that I’ll always remember. Magri really suits the mistress role, Campbell is a fantastic Lescaut, Sambe was wonderful and Hayward was incredible. I was moved from act 1 to the end. Bravo to all of the amazing RB dancers on stage yesterday!

• Like 17

I too made the matinee trip from Preston and really loved it for the reasons everyone else has mentioned. However, I have to say I didn't get the Sambe connection other posters seem to. I enjoyed his performance but found I connected more to Matthew Ball's. But that's just me. Looking forward to seeing Fumi and Vadim and see what they make of it.

Incidentally,  I always love Manon's second act dress and that amazing cloak she wears over it. But the clothing I covet the most is Lescaults fabulous red waistcoat and embroidered black jacket. So it was quite a surprise to see in Robs wonderful photos that Ryios waistcoat is a sort of peach colour and matches the lining of his jacket.  I wonder if they can choose as I'm sure I haven't seen that colour variation before. I definitely prefer the red waistcoat and red lining in the jacket. A bit like la Fille where there seems to be different colour schemes for Colas' waistcoat 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Incidentally,  I always love Manon's second act dress and that amazing cloak she wears over it. But the clothing I covet the most is Lescaults fabulous red waistcoat and embroidered black jacket. So it was quite a surprise to see in Robs wonderful photos that Ryios waistcoat is a sort of peach colour and matches the lining of his jacket.  I wonder if they can choose as I'm sure I haven't seen that colour variation before. I definitely prefer the red waistcoat and red lining in the jacket. A bit like la Fille where there seems to be different colour schemes for Colas' waistcoat 

This has just made me go through my curtain call photos for the Lescauts I saw in 2019 & so far in this run. Now my camera is not nearly as good as Rob's & tends to make colours look less bright than they really are but to my eyes it looks like Hirano (2019 & 2024), Sambe, Corrales & Zuchetti are all wearing waistcoats that are various shades of orange & it's only Acri (2019 & 2024) wearing a really red waistcoat (I've not seen Campbell live so don't have photos of him). Not something I've noticed before but I'll definitely be looking out for it for the rest of the run!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Incidentally,  I always love Manon's second act dress and that amazing cloak she wears over it.

I thought Cuthbertson's dress looked rather over-populated on Wednesday.  When I compared it to Hayward's on Saturday, I realised that the former had a lot more gold "splodges" on it than the latter.

• Like 1