Manon, Royal Ballet Winter 2024

I very much enjoyed the cinema relay, more so than the Saturday matinee. It was fabulous to see the detail of Osipova’s Manon and all the cast. I’m hoping to see Sunday’s encore screening (unless the weather dramatically improves) but I just wanted to offer a few thoughts from Wednesday evening.

I found Clarke’s Des Grieux much more impressive in the cinema than in the matinee but I still thought at times there was some insecurity and with all the close ups a little too much bewilderment. I recognise I’ve been rather spoiled by Ball and Bracewell and I’m very much looking forward to seeing Sambe again. I’m not seeing Bolle but Muntagirov, Richardson and Campbell are still to dance and I’m very keen to see their Des Grieuxs. 

I’ve liked the observations about Manon and Lescaut being so close, equally committed to getting their hands on the money. Osipova and Campbell came across very strongly but Campbell (with Hayward) and Acri  (with Cuthbertson and Naghdi) were also very impressive. Hayward finds she’s partnering Campbell as Lescaut and Des Grieux at the end of the run and she mentioned how she’ll have to check if Campbell is lover or brother but with Lescaut pimping Manon I can’t help but wonder where the boundaries lie.

I’ve very much enjoyed seeing Magri, Mendizabel and O’Sullivan’s Mistresses. They all made the most of the role and their relationship with their Lescauts.

For the relay the cinema in Keswick displayed the autocue words as subtitles so departures from the autocue were even more obvious. I don’t recall this happening in previous cinema relays.

I thought some of the camera choices looked a bit odd, particularly at the end of Act 2 where I don’t think GM’s backhanded cuffing of Lescaut quite worked and where the camera cut away just when GM fired his pistol so it wasn’t clear who he’d shot. I rather liked the cut away to Manon’s and Lescaut’s knowing disgust when GM became ‘over excited’ in Act 1 as Petroc Trelawny so delicately put it but I thought we missed rather too much of Des Grieux’s Act 3 scene 1 solo when the camera cut to Manon and the Gaoler.

• Like 8

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

I always enjoy watching ger too, RobR. I am sure she will bring her usual abundance of sass to the role.

I do too.  Itziar doesn’t have the prominence she deserves. She is excellent in everything she does.  Her Tatiana in Onegin a few years ago was heartbreaking. 

• Like 12

Just now, Sim said:

I do too.  Itziar doesn’t have the prominence she deserves. She is excellent in everything she does.  Her Tatiana in Onegin a few years ago was heartbreaking. 

And Paulina in TWT

• Like 7

controversial opinion I am sure:

I was rather underwhelmed and left the ROH very disappointed tonight.  It all felt limp and was lacking chemistry between the leads.  I liked the touches Nela put into her portrayal of Manon and her technique is still near-perfect but the male leads sadly couldn't match her, in my opinion.

I will be returning my ticket for Saturday evening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

At the end of tonight's performance, Kevin O'Hare went on stage to celebrate the 25 years of Roberto Bolle at Royal Ballet. As he said in his speech "Roberto is not really a guest star for us, rather a company member". As always, Kevin delivered a beautiful speech with lots of touching words.

Hysterical ovations from the audience to all dancers, and of course especially to Nunez and Bolle.

Personally I prefered by far Wednesday performance, where Osipova and Clarke put emotions to a really stratospheric, amazing level, however tonight was a very good performance. Bolle chiefly was totally on fire in Act III. And frankly, delivering such beautiful dance at 49 years-old is close to science-fi!

Nunez delivered wonderful, beautiful dance, but I got the impression that she did not really know where she was in terms of characterization of Manon. It was a wonderful, outstanding, superlative dance, but I did not feel she was personifying a character. I prefer her in classical ballets like Giselle or Sleeping Beauty.

Also, I missed Ms Magri in Mistress: Her interpretation last Wednesday was really spectacular in terms of subtle characterization and charisma. Ms Mendizabal delivered good dancing, but after having seen Magri in the same character I was missing something...

Same for Mr Hirano: His Lescaut was very good, chiefly in Act II, but I lacked the originality and sensitivity of Mr Campbell interpretation.

But overall a very good performance, and I was extremely pleased that KOH celebrated Mr Bolle. This is really the ROH touch, this friendly relationship between artistic management and artists. I love it!

Edited by Paco
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Silke H said:

controversial opinion I am sure:

I was rather underwhelmed and left the ROH very disappointed tonight.  It all felt limp and was lacking chemistry between the leads.  I liked the touches Nela put into her portrayal of Manon and her technique is still near-perfect but the male leads sadly couldn't match her, in my opinion.

I will be returning my ticket for Saturday evening.

Our posts were simultaneous. I partly agree with you for the lack of chemistry. This was far from Wednesday performance. But I wouldn't say "very disappointed", overall it was still a very good performance in my opinion.

• Like 1

So I was also at the performance tonight and there were certainly lots of Bolle fans there. I think they outweighed the Nunez fans by quite a margin and there were a lot of Italian voices in the stalls. The reaction I felt was over the top - particularly at the end. It was a very good performance of a masterpiece of a ballet but I have seen many better performances of it. 

Bolle did ok - excellent if you consider his age - but I never really bought his portrayal of Des Grieux. Marianela I thought was excellent, unlike the above poster I thought her characterisation was brilliant (I also prefer her in the classics). I was sitting middle of the stalls nearer the front and I found her general use of expressions to convey her emotions very powerful. I was however also disappointed in the chemistry between the leads, strange given they clearly have a close relationship. I think it's not helped by the fact he isn't a great actor (some people near me laughed right at the end with his crying over her death - give me Cope any day). 

Honestly, I don't know how you can be in anyway disappointed in Hirano. I think he put on a superstar performance tonight and tbh stole the male principal show (for any non Bolle fanatic). He plays Lescaut drunkeness superbly well. I would have preferred to see Magri or O'Sullivan but Mendizabal was her usual excellent self too imo (I have seen Mendizabal perform this role a lot!). 

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

As always great pictures - but particularly catching this funny moment! 

A slightly extended sequence is on my instagram 😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was there tonight and I preferred the cast of the cinema relay. I looove Marianela, she danced beautifully, but for me Osipova/Clark evoked more feeling in their portrayal. Agree with what others have said in this topic. Nunez was a cheekier, more willing participant as Manon, whereas Osipova really conveyed a sadness and desperation that was missing from tonight’s Manon. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

She was on fire tonight. Technically superb and very funny in the drunken scene

You mean you gave up BRB tonight, Tony?

Some of those photos are crying out for a caption ...

• Like 1

On 05/02/2024 at 20:00, Mora said:

Even more, considering that perhaps Bolle will be not able to perform a main roile in 3 years on, I bet that Nunez could choose William as her DG in future seasons. She has said several times that she wanted to dance R&J with him and that 

was she did in Japan last year once Bonelli retired as her Romeo. Otherwiswe F. Kaneko would have to dance with Bracewell as they did in 2021 (and I do hope to have the ocassion to see them dance R&J one day). 

Anyway, I saw Bracewell and Naghdi in their firts performance and I liked them very much (considering that it was a double debut). I think their partership brought a new fresh air to this ballet. Same for Kaneko-Bracewell every time they dance together (I do hope to have the chance to see them in R&J or a debuting in Mayerling). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paco said:

At the end of tonight's performance, Kevin O'Hare went on stage to celebrate the 25 years of Roberto Bolle at Royal Ballet. As he said in his speech "Roberto is not really a guest star for us, rather a company member". As always, Kevin delivered a beautiful speech with lots of touching words.

Hysterical ovations from the audience to all dancers, and of course especially to Nunez and Bolle.

Personally I prefered by far Wednesday performance, where Osipova and Clarke put emotions to a really stratospheric, amazing level, however tonight was a very good performance. Bolle chiefly was totally on fire in Act III. And frankly, delivering such beautiful dance at 49 years-old is close to science-fi!

Nunez delivered wonderful, beautiful dance, but I got the impression that she did not really know where she was in terms of characterization of Manon. It was a wonderful, outstanding, superlative dance, but I did not feel she was personifying a character. I prefer her in classical ballets like Giselle or Sleeping Beauty.

Also, I missed Ms Magri in Mistress: Her interpretation last Wednesday was really spectacular in terms of subtle characterization and charisma. Ms Mendizabal delivered good dancing, but after having seen Magri in the same character I was missing something...

Same for Mr Hirano: His Lescaut was very good, chiefly in Act II, but I lacked the originality and sensitivity of Mr Campbell interpretation.

But overall a very good performance, and I was extremely pleased that KOH celebrated Mr Bolle. This is really the ROH touch, this friendly relationship between artistic management and artists. I love it!

I also prefer Marianela in the classics.

Reading through all the posts in recent days - you can just see that there’s many different interpretations of the roles and equally as many reactions and deeply felt responses to them. For me, I am thrilled to have seen Bracewell truly deep dive into DG. There was a moment in the closing seconds of the second performance where he lifted Manon and laid his cheek against hers, and you could see he was utterly inhabiting the role. And between the shows had thought so much about it. And he’s such a cheerful, smiley fella offstage ( have you all seen the antics with his partner and Sambe on the train?!) This is absolutely no criticism of Naghdi - a beautiful dancer who found new depths in the role especially in their second outing- but I would love to see Hayward or Kaneko as his Manon. And yes let’s hope for Mayerling.

• Like 8

Thankyou Alison. 
Because it’s a slightly more expensive ticket (D.36 in Balcony) than most Forum readers like at £99 I didn’t advertise it here but as soon as I see it go back into sale I will mention it just in case anyone interested. 
It seems ages since seen Hayward but at least she is in my Distant Drummer Cast in April. 

I know keep harping on about it but am still a bit worried about Cesar Corrales. As he has just the two Swan Lakes ( I was hoping for one in June) at the moment and is not cast in the triple and  am just wondering what he could be cast in once in Summer season? 
But perhaps for another thread. 

Yes I wasn’t expecting to see the cinema relay so a bit of a bonus especially as everyone here has been very favourable about it! 

Just to say my Balcony ticket for next Saturday matinee has gone back on sale about one minute ago!!! 

• Like 2

Since KOH has recently marked the 10 year and 25 year anniversaries of Osipova and Bolle joining the RB, I wonder if he will now do the same for Muntagirov. His first performance of Manon on the 23rd of February will be exactly 10 years and four days since he joined the RB. IMO this was definitely a significant date for the company and worthy of one of Kevin‘s nice speeches to commemorate it.

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, Nina99 said:

Since KOH has recently marked the 10 year and 25 year anniversaries of Osipova and Bolle joining the RB, I wonder if he will now do the same for Muntagirov. His first performance of Manon on the 23rd of February will be exactly 10 years and four days since he joined the RB. IMO this was definitely a significant date for the company and worthy of one of Kevin‘s nice speeches to commemorate it.

There are, in fact, six Principals who transferred from other companies. Admittedly only Osipova and Muntagirov joined as Principals but, with 25 years as the main marker in the RB’s sand, further acknowledgements seem unlikely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

They are probably hoping that he will make it to 25 years!

Possibly - and I hope he will! But it would make him 48….and it appears to me from things he says in interviews sometimes that he is one who will probably stop dancing if he feels he is no longer on top of his game.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Unfortunately I have had to return my ticket for next Saturday matinee’s Manon ( Hayward cast) as the travel both that Saturday and Sunday is just too problematic with two replacement buses via Haywards Heath and Three Bridges plus train and will take two and a half hours ( instead of one hour). I was also told there’s still a shortage of replacement bus drivers so there might be some waiting around involved.

This was to be my first trip up to London since my accident so a bit nervous anyway so decided in spite of a great cast the pain would be more than the gain! 
However all is not lost as discovered yesterday that the encore cinema showing of last Wednesdays Manon performance is on in Brighton on  Tuesday afternoon so will be going to that with a ballet friend instead 🙂

Have still got Fumi and Vadim to look forward to on the 27th and weekdays are usually okay for travel! 

Such a disappoint for you, but enjoy the cinema and hope trains hold up for your last ‘ go ‘ at Manon live

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LinMM said:

Unfortunately I have had to return my ticket for next Saturday matinee’s Manon ( Hayward cast) as the travel both that Saturday and Sunday is just too problematic with two replacement buses via Haywards Heath and Three Bridges plus train and will take two and a half hours ( instead of one hour).

Very sorry you’re having to miss Saturday’s matinee. I’m sure 27th February will be great. I was just wondering if you’ve looked at 2nd or 8th March: Hayward, Campbell, Zucchetti and probably Choe. Hayward and Campbell were great last time and 8th brings the curtain down on this run.

• Like 2

After having danced Des Grieux at the RB on Friday night, Roberto Bolle danced yesterday Saturday (so, less than 24 hours after Manon) at the Festival di Sanremo, broadcasted by RAI Uno... not less than the Boléro by Béjart (accompanied by the dancers of Bejart Ballet Lausanne)!

Does this man never feel tired??? ... Absolutely amazing!

Edited by Paco
  • Like 6

Going back to the cinema relay, I was slightly surprised when Petroc starting talking to Darcey about being MacMillan's muse, and having Prince of the Pagodas created for her at the age of 19.  I know she didn't mention it herself, nor was she responsible for those comments being made, but if the aim was to talk about what it was like to work with MacMillan, then that didn't really come across.  All she said was "I learned an awful lot" or something of that nature.

We were watching a performance of Manon, and while she may have danced it many times, she certain didn't help with its creation.   I mention this because I felt it was inappropriate. 

There were comments on here about dancers using social media to raise their own profiles.  Maybe it might be the subject of a separate thread, but is that the best way to raise the profile of ballet in general? I know Darcey is very high profile, but is she really making the public more interested in the current crop of dancers? 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Going back to the cinema relay, I was slightly surprised when Petroc starting talking to Darcey about being MacMillan's muse, and having Prince of the Pagodas created for her at the age of 19.  I know she didn't mention it herself, nor was she responsible for those comments being made, but if the aim was to talk about what it was like to work with MacMillan, then that didn't really come across.  All she said was "I learned an awful lot" or something of that nature.

I noticed that when this was raised, she immediately deflected the attention away from herself by just saying that she'd learnt so much - placing the attention/credit back on MacMillan. She strikes me as a modest person and I don't think she really wants to talk herself up, or to talk about herself when the attention should be on others.

• Like 12