Manon, Royal Ballet Winter 2024

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

I'm so sorry you can't make it - stupid trains! :( 

I'm satisfied with having seen them the once. There are too many other casts I hope to be able to see, rush tickets permitting, for me to double up on any casts. Although I'm hoping that tomorrow night/Sunday morning I won't be reading loads of posts from people who are seeing both their performances saying that their 2nd performance was way better than their 1st one!

Edited by Dawnstar
Typo
  • Like 3

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, balletyas said:

Yes I know exactly where you are and we’ll be somewhere there too so I will certainly try. Do you have any helpful sartorial signposts? A red scarf? A gold tiara! 

If I had a gold tiara I'd be sitting in the posh seats instead of standing!  😄

I will be wearing black trousers, black leather trainers and especially for you I will wear a magenta top!  Shoulder length brown hair.  If any other forum members are there and fancy saying hello please do!  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

If I had a gold tiara I'd be sitting in the posh seats instead of standing!  😄

I will be wearing black trousers, black leather trainers and especially for you I will wear a magenta top!  Shoulder length brown hair.  If any other forum members are there and fancy saying hello please do!  

I'd definitely like to wear a gold tiara! If only I had one . . . 🤣 I'm so excited about tonight! I also hope the matinee is good - I'm going to the live cinema relay next week, so look forward to seeing the performances then. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, balletyas said:

Oh thank you very much! Whereabouts do you hover? I’m coming with my husband as it is actually my delayed birthday treat so might not manage it but it would be lovely to meet a fellow Nagdhi fan!  

Happy belated birthday, @balletyas 🎂and also wishing you both a hopefully uneventful journey to and from the show. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Wishing him good luck in the role today …..but rather glad I’m not there to form a dislike of him so young lol!! 

Me totally hating Gary Avis's gaoler (and I did - he was totally repugnant) doesn't make me like him less - he'll always be Drosselmeyer to me first and foremost, so hopefully the same will be said of him. Fingers crossed! The gaoler really is a horrible, nasty, vile character and I'd imagine it's a hard role to play. I'm looking forward to seeing him next week as I think it's very interesting casting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJW said:

I will be

At least I hope to be - there is a trespasser on the line near Clapham so all trains are being held - stuck at Woking!

5 minutes ago, MJW said:

At least I hope to be - there is a trespasser on the line near Clapham so all trains are being held - stuck at Woking!

I. hope it's sorted out quickly!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope everyone travelling on trains has reasonable journeys. I'm so disappointed I couldn't make it for today's matinee.  I returned my ticket yesterday. I was due to come down from Newcastle, but with the trains only running once an hour, if that and taking 41/2 hours each way, it just became too much. I'm so very sad to miss today's matinee. I will get a ticket for the cinema.

I'm also very sorry not to meet some of you again, Sim - you have always made me so welcome..thank you. I look forward to reading about the performances. Janet 😘

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I. hope it's sorted out quickly!

Thank you! Thankfully on the move again  - luckily I am getting an early train into London 

• Like 6

We get this trespassing on the line on the Brighton line too ….often at the same place!! Sometimes it’s just a hold up of about 15 mins but if goes on too long then we will end up being turfed  off the train at Three Bridges (Driver change stop) as they re sort the timetable.
Once in one of these line trespasses I had the tickets for three other people too ( in the days before itickets) and just made it by skin of teeth!! 
Enjoy the Manons today all who are going. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, LinMM said:

We get this trespassing on the line on the Brighton line too ….often at the same place!! Sometimes it’s just a hold up of about 15 mins but if goes on too long then we will end up being turfed  off the train at Three Bridges (Driver change stop) as they re sort the timetable.
Once in one of these line trespasses I had the tickets for three other people too ( in the days before itickets) and just made it by skin of teeth!! 
Enjoy the Manons today all who are going. 

Ugh that sounds stressful…

1 hour ago, JanetW said:

I hope everyone travelling on trains has reasonable journeys. I'm so disappointed I couldn't make it for today's matinee.  I returned my ticket yesterday. I was due to come down from Newcastle, but with the trains only running once an hour, if that and taking 41/2 hours each way, it just became too much. I'm so very sad to miss today's matinee. I will get a ticket for the cinema.

I'm also very sorry not to meet some of you again, Sim - you have always made me so welcome..thank you. I look forward to reading about the performances. Janet 😘

Thank you Janet.  I am so sorry you can't make today's performance, and I hope it's not too long before you can get down here again.  It's really pitiful how in a G7 country we can never rely on the trains.  :(

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Apparently they are getting rather less reliable in Germany and Switzerland too ☹️

In which case we have reached the end of civilisation!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, alison said:

Apparently they are getting rather less reliable in Germany and Switzerland too ☹️

German train drivers have just been on a six-day-long strike  😡  their Union leader is just as stubborn as the one in the UK.  However, there's hope amongst the German population that strikes calm down a little when he retires later this year.

• Like 2

A stunningly emotional performance from Osipova and Clarke. Sometimes I haven’t always felt a connection between them emotionally, but I definitely did here. I do really enjoy thinking about the contrast between the Manon interpretations - for example in the Act 2 solo. With Hayward (the Manon I saw first) she seems more pained and trapped/not wanting to be there at that point, whereas Osipova was more in the seductress mode. I think this is a real tour de force for the whole company, they all deserve Oscars for acting as well as superb dancing!

• Like 16

Still lost for words and processing  what was the most staggeringly emotional  and authentic performance I think I’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing. 
Such natural interpretation, incredible magnetism, dynamism and a spellbinding partnership. A very special and memorable Manon. The conviction and investment of Osipova and Clarke into the role was remarkable. Wild abandon, power, sensitivity, torment, heartbreak, passion all in perfectly nuanced measure with the most exquisite presentation 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Rob S, those are SUPER pics!!  Like everybody who has commented above, this matinee was truly wonderful. I was spellbound. Manon/Osipova was memorable in her strong vulnerability (!), her expressiveness, her utter abandon in dancing. Great partnership with the elegantly romantic des Grieux/Clarke, and I definitely thought that the casting of Lascaut/Campbell next to the tall Clarke was inspired. L's lover/Magri got my attention fully. I also loved the gaoler, although he wasn't as disgusting as other interpretations (eg Thomas Whitehead's). Brilliant day at the House.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Dreaded rail replacement bus service plus dreaded trespasser on the line this morning made it a nail biting journey to ROH for the matinee but it was more than worth it.

I haven’t recovered sufficiently to write about the performance but brava all round. I salute those of you who can manage 2 performances on the same day! I found it too harrowing.

As I had time I made it to the stage door, quite a number were gathered there. Mr Avis, Ms Osipova and Mr Clarke were gracious, signing programmes and having photos taken. Wonderful.

• Like 11

32 minutes ago, Shade said:

As I had time I made it to the stage door, quite a number were gathered there. Mr Avis, Ms Osipova and Mr Clarke were gracious, signing programmes and having photos taken. Wonderful.

Did you take a pic? Would love to see the three of them together in the street!  I saw Campbell leaving and it was rather bathetic - he went on as if it were just another day at the office. Fun!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Shade said:

I was really tempted to go, I've never been to the Stage Door before. Also doing it for a matinee would be convenient as it isn't too dark yet! After seeing the crowd, I thought there wouldn't be much point though.

• Like 1