Manon, Royal Ballet Winter 2024

It's interesting that the gaoler scene wasn't in the original but included in the ballet (from what I understand in the comments here) - I understand that it adds some depth to the story/understanding of Des Grieux's reaction but it also seems quite gratuitous.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to Saturday’s double Manon. We still don’t see the Mistresses listed: are we expecting Magri for Osipova’s cast and O’Sullivan for Naghdi’s cast or has anyone heard anything different?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Looking forward to Saturday’s double Manon. We still don’t see the Mistresses listed: are we expecting Magri for Osipova’s cast and O’Sullivan for Naghdi’s cast or has anyone heard anything different?

Magri's agent has listed the Osipova/Clarke dates for her as Mistress.

Really hoping to get a repeat of the RBS-trained 'super-team' as Manon/Des Grieux/Mistress/Lescaut on Saturday. When one thinks of it, it's really 'quite something' for three winners of Young British Dancer of the Year (WB 2008; YN 2009; AROS 2011) to be headlining one show (and having debuted together).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, capybara said:

Magri's agent has listed the Osipova/Clarke dates for her as Mistress.

Really hoping to get a repeat of the RBS-trained 'super-team' as Manon/Des Grieux/Mistress/Lescaut on Saturday. When one thinks of it, it's really 'quite something' for three winners of Young British Dancer of the Year (WB 2008; YN 2009; AROS 2011) to be headlining one show (and having debuted together).

It was very special.  Too bad they weren't given any coverage.  Nor any flowers, for that matter. One bouquet as an afterthought.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Were they? I must have missed that. 

I definitely read one aticle linked in the Dance Links section (I'm so sorry, but I can't remember which online publication it was) and it mentioned the performance, when reviewing opening night at the same time. I'll see if I can find it. 

Edit: Thanks to @Sim, who posted this in the Links section  - it was the FT.

https://www.ft.com/content/19dd67bd-20f0-4336-901d-8df63832165f 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, alison said:

They were given some coverage, Sim, although it may not have been the day you were doing the Links.

I would hardly call Louise Levene’s casual mention of Miss Naghdi’s name coverage. And in the Daily Express, Will and Yasmine’s performances were summed up by one word.  No mention anywhere of Anna-Rose. That’s it. Not my idea of coverage.  If I have missed anything else, please let me know.  I do read the Links as well as posting them.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

I would hardly call Louise Levene’s casual mention of Miss Naghdi’s name coverage. And in the Daily Express, Will and Yasmine’s performances were summed up by one word.  No mention anywhere of Anna-Rose. That’s it. Not my idea of coverage.  If I have missed anything else, please let me know.  I do read the Links as well as posting them.  

Not quite the same, but I half heard an item on the Today programme on R4 yesterday, about San Francisco Ballet's new AI-related ballet. Honestly; the media are so shallow and impressionable. They ignore all sorts of artistically interesting happenings, but mention AI and they're all over it even if it's a company in San Francisco.

• Like 5

But there was a great story waiting to be told here of three British RBS contemporaries debuting together in a ballet celebrating its 50th Year. That should have been in the mind of the ROH’s media team in its interaction with the press.

Instead, the opportunity was missed (again) to shine a light on the current generation of RB stars.

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

But there was a great story waiting to be told here of three British RBS contemporaries debuting together in a ballet celebrating its 50th Year. That should have been in the mind of the ROH’s media team in its interaction with the press.

Instead, the opportunity was missed (again) to shine a light on the current generation of RB stars.

And all winners of the YBDY.  Could have been a great story.  

• Like 13

49 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Honestly; the media are so shallow and impressionable. They ignore all sorts of artistically interesting happenings, but mention AI and they're all over it even if it's a company in San Francisco.

The media certainly are shallow. Also AI is hardly a new concept anymore, it’s probably the most ubiquitous term out there nowadays, means a lot of different things in different contexts, and it’s consequently boring to see the same theme explored repetitively. (I say that as someone who did like the Scottish Ballet’s Coppelia)

• Like 3

I recently watched the programme about Darcey Bussell on the BBC, which came on after one of the Magic of the Dance episodes.  Maybe she could offer some suggestions as to how to get them interested in the current crop of British dancers.  She certainly had spectacular coverage, although I did raise an eyebrow at the claim that she was the greatest ballerina since Margot Fonteyn.  I think there were one or two other rather good British born (or British trained) dancers, even if they didn't seem to manage to get themselves on tv quite as much.  

• Like 7

5 hours ago, alison said:

What I haven't seen is any coverage of the Ball/Cuthbertson cast.  I think those are the only three we've had so far, aren't they?

Matthew Ball has been posting quite heavily on his instagram with some very interesting insights about the ballet and the role.  I guess you have to do your own PR these days!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Normally, critics only attend first nights (at least, in their official capacity).  Occasionally (as with Louise Levene and the first two performances of Manon) they will attend and write about two.  The only reason I am annoyed that no-one turned up for Yasmine, Will and Anna-Rose is for all the reasons stated up thread (the Daily Express turned up but it's hardly worth mentioning, in my opinion).  It is not usual procedure, but in this case there was much to write about and to laud, and it was a one-off situation.  

• Like 14

38 minutes ago, Sim said:

Normally, critics only attend first nights (at least, in their official capacity).  Occasionally (as with Louise Levene and the first two performances of Manon) they will attend and write about two.  The only reason I am annoyed that no-one turned up for Yasmine, Will and Anna-Rose is for all the reasons stated up thread (the Daily Express turned up but it's hardly worth mentioning, in my opinion).  It is not usual procedure, but in this case there was much to write about and to laud, and it was a one-off situation.  

Totally agree with this, Sim. Maybe some will turn up for tomorrow's performance? Then again, maybe not! 

• Like 3

I do hope so. All I know is having had to miss the Nagdhi Bracewell debut due to illness I’m going to brave the train strike hassle from Cambridge for tomorrow night’s  performance come hell or high water! 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, balletyas said:

I do hope so. All I know is having had to miss the Nagdhi Bracewell debut due to illness I’m going to brave the train strike hassle from Cambridge for tomorrow night’s  performance come hell or high water! 

Good luck balletyas!  I do hope you make it.  If so, let me know if you want to come and say hello in the interval/s.  :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, balletyas said:

I hope your journey isn't too disrupted. I loved their debuts and I really hope you enjoy tomorrow's performance as much as I enjoyed 20th January. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I hope your journey isn't too disrupted. I loved their debuts and I really hope you enjoy tomorrow's performance as much as I enjoyed 20th January. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow! 

Come and say hello Linnzi; we will be in the usual place!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

Good luck balletyas!  I do hope you make it.  If so, let me know if you want to come and say hello in the interval/s.  :)

Oh thank you very much! Whereabouts do you hover? I’m coming with my husband as it is actually my delayed birthday treat so might not manage it but it would be lovely to meet a fellow Nagdhi fan!  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, balletyas said:

Oh thank you very much! Whereabouts do you hover? I’m coming with my husband as it is actually my delayed birthday treat so might not manage it but it would be lovely to meet a fellow Nagdhi fan!  

We sit in the Floral Hall next to the small staircase that leads down to the old part of the House.  As you look to go down the stairs, we are usually at a long table just to left of them.  Would be lovely to meet you, but if you are with your hubby on a birthday treat, no problem if you can't make it!  If you do, please don't feel obliged to stay; just a quick hello would be great!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balletyas said:

Good luck from a fellow Cambridgeshire resident! I was fortunately able to attend their first performance, as I couldn't face the combined engineering & strikes that will be blighting this weekend's trains.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Good luck from a fellow Cambridgeshire resident! I was fortunately able to attend their first performance, as I couldn't face the combined engineering & strikes that will be blighting this weekend's trains.

Thank you! Very wise! Dreading all the bus nonsense but it will be worth it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

Thank you very much Linzi that’s very kind. I think we all are! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

We sit in the Floral Hall next to the small staircase that leads down to the old part of the House.  As you look to go down the stairs, we are usually at a long table just to left of them.  Would be lovely to meet you, but if you are with your hubby on a birthday treat, no problem if you can't make it!  If you do, please don't feel obliged to stay; just a quick hello would be great!

Yes I know exactly where you are and we’ll be somewhere there too so I will certainly try. Do you have any helpful sartorial signposts? A red scarf? A gold tiara! 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you can't make it - stupid trains! :( 

• Like 1

Excuse the off-topic side note, but the discussion above about the RB marketing staff missing obvious PR opportunities made me think about the amazing job the NYCB team is doing promoting Tiler Peck and her new ballet Concerto For Two Pianos. Big profiles in mainstream publications like NYTimes and Vogue and lots of love on their own channels, including their excellent podcast. It's nice to see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Excuse the off-topic side note, but the discussion above about the RB marketing staff missing obvious PR opportunities made me think about the amazing job the NYCB team is doing promoting Tiler Peck and her new ballet Concerto For Two Pianos. Big profiles in mainstream publications like NYTimes and Vogue and lots of love on their own channels, including their excellent podcast. It's nice to see.

And, sadly, highlights the utter uselessness of the home team. 

• Like 4