Manon, Royal Ballet Winter 2024

Great to see the General Rehearsal cast in performance last night. I’d been particularly impressed by Matthew Ball, Luca Acri and Itziar Mendizabel and I’m very pleased to have found Lauren Cuthberton’s Manon much more  engaging. Ball makes a fabulous Des Grieux, a real elegance in solos, wonderfully secure, and explosively passionate when enraged and with Cuthbertson in those stunning PDDs.

Yet again a magical evening from all involved with so much going on and at times impossible to know where to look. I had to make a real effort to stop focusing on James Hay’s gentleman as his mannerisms so reminded me of an acquaintance.

• Like 10

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain why one of the harlots wears trousers and that big hat? It stands out as all the other harlots are dressed virtually the same and I've never understood why.

35 minutes ago, Fairy said:

Can anyone explain why one of the harlots wears trousers and that big hat? It stands out as all the other harlots are dressed virtually the same and I've never understood why.

We have just been discussing this on another thread (sorry, can't remember which and don't have time to look at the moment).  Some have thought that it was to satisfy the clients who might be bisexual, others have thought that it is someone who acts on the stage and plays boys' roles.  I am going to try to find out for sure!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

We have just been discussing this on another thread (sorry, can't remember which and don't have time to look at the moment).  Some have thought that it was to satisfy the clients who might be bisexual, others have thought that it is someone who acts on the stage and plays boys' roles.  I am going to try to find out for sure!

I’m very pleased you’re answering this one Sim.

• Like 1

As far as I can remember no explanation was ever given, it's assumed some men are turned on by girls dressed as boys.  I believe the practice among ladies of the oldest profession has some history.

• Like 3

I have asked someone who would know and they told me that indeed this character is to cater for those clients who have certain proclivities but it's more acceptable if it's actually a girl....  Although MacMillan never (as far as we know) specified this, it is the interpretation that most of those involved have come to accept over the years.  It fits in to the rest of the narrative and what is going on in that Act.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I’m very pleased to have found Lauren Cuthberton’s Manon much more engaging.

May I ask if this in comparison to previous runs? I haven't planned to see her this time around as when I saw her last time I found her Manon did not move me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have asked someone who would know and they told me that indeed this character is to cater for those clients who have certain proclivities but it's more acceptable if it's actually a girl....  Although MacMillan never (as far as we know) specified this, it is the interpretation that most of those involved have come to accept over the years.  It fits in to the rest of the narrative and what is going on in that Act.  

Zoē Anderson's The Royal Ballet: 75 Years has this to say (HTH)...

I will see if I can snapshot the relevant bit from the TLS

Screenshot_20240120_235325_Kindle.jpg

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

May I ask if this in comparison to previous runs? I haven't planned to see her this time around as when I saw her last time I found her Manon did not move me.

I felt the same, Dawnstar, so when I found that this couple were doing the general my heart sank a bit, although I am always thrilled to see Matt as DG.  But oh my goodness, what a difference.  Lauren danced with a depth and a passion that knocked me sideways and made me weep.  Together with Matt, it was a truly memorable performance....and that was just the rehearsal!  I wasn't there last night but am going to do my damndest to be there on the 14th.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

I felt the same, Dawnstar, so when I found that this couple were doing the general my heart sank a bit, although I am always thrilled to see Matt as DG.  But oh my goodness, what a difference.  Lauren danced with a depth and a passion that knocked me sideways and made me weep.  Together with Matt, it was a truly memorable performance....and that was just the rehearsal!  I wasn't there last night but am going to do my damndest to be there on the 14th.

Oh dear, now I'm going to regret not seeing that cast. I was already regretting not seeing Ball, as I thought he was very good in 2019. The problem with the Ballet Forum is that it feels like every cast I don't/can't see always seem to get reviewed as giving amazing performances so I feel disappointed & envious that I can't see them all.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh dear, now I'm going to regret not seeing that cast. I was already regretting not seeing Ball, as I thought he was very good in 2019. The problem with the Ballet Forum is that it feels like every cast I don't/can't see always seem to get reviewed as giving amazing performances so I feel disappointed & envious that I can't see them all.

I find exactly the same, Dawnstar! I always end up worrying that I've chosen the wrong casts or dashing about trying to get tickets for performances which have had rave reviews - it's exhausting!! Am going to try to rein myself in a little and enjoy the casts I was originally chose!

• Like 9

The character is a female sex worker who offers rear entry (I can't think of a more polite way to put it!). Historically speaking, this type of sex worker was expensive but popular, as it was believed that this method removed any possibility of sexually transmitted infections, and of course from the worker's POV there was far less likelihood of pregnancy. There were also clients who believed that using a virgin would cure syphilis 😳. For this and more historical info, do feel free to PM.

I found the TLS piece. 'Still dying after all these years', Alastair Macaulay, p.18, issue 5231, 4 July 2003.

It's a discussion of MacMillan and his ballets in general, as that season included five of his ballets: Manon, Mayerling, Winter Dreams, Prince of the Pagodas, and Song of the Earth.

The very last paragraph reads as follows:

Screenshot_20240121_001429_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b7f2b7861410e10ab62c87b67fbb822c.jpg

Edited by Sophoife
Historical info 😳
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

One can only do (afford) ‘so much’ and take from what we see in our own way.
Indeed, the comments about casts I haven’t booked for can often help me think afresh about the interpretations which I am seeing. 

I believe it has been said before that the passage of time and changes in life experiences result in individual dancers offering us renewed character revelations in runs later in their careers - and changes of partner can make a fundamental difference too. By the sound of it, such factors are already making these Manons extra interesting.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Don't forget that this is just my own opinion, Dawnstar.  Others might not agree at all!  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

I believe it has been said before that the passage of time and changes in life experiences result in individual dancers offering us renewed character revelations in runs later in their careers - and changes of partner can make a fundamental difference too. By the sound of it, such factors are already making these Manons extra interesting.

I did give Cuthbertson's Juliet a second go, in 2022 when she'd come back from her first maternity leave, but still remained unmoved by it, hence I hadn't planned to give her Manon a second go.

36 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Zoē Anderson's The Royal Ballet: 75 Years has this to say (HTH)...

I will see if I can snapshot the relevant bit from the TLS

Screenshot_20240120_235325_Kindle.jpg

I had assumed that this was the case with the boyish harlot, but loved this bit of insight. Thanks for sharing!

I'm still quite high on the general rehearsal, and a bit regretful now that I didn't get tickets for the main run - would loved to have seen Fumi's debut (I was lucky enough to attend her Odette/Odile debut and it was spectacular) - Not to mention, Des Grieux is one of my favourite roles for Vadim, so I'm jealous of anyone going to their shows!

Nevertheless, looking forward to the cinema relay with Osipova. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cescablue said:

I find exactly the same, Dawnstar! I always end up worrying that I've chosen the wrong casts or dashing about trying to get tickets for performances which have had rave reviews - it's exhausting!! Am going to try to rein myself in a little and enjoy the casts I was originally chose!

I’m the same - it gets so stressful reading these glowing reviews😆.  There are too many dancers whose interpretations I would love to see, plus the partners have been changed about a bit from the past few production pairings.  Often there is a dancer I would like to see but am not as keen on their partner, so I end up going with the pairing who tick more boxes for me.  I just can’t financially or time wise see more than the two I’ve booked, but I have huge regrets to not see Naghdi and Bracewell - I have a feeling theirs will be very special- especially as Laura Morera is coaching William Bracewell in his debut and she proved how amazing she is at coaching in the insight event!

I’m already wondering if the FOMO will get too much and I’ll end up booking a Friday Rush for them.  I think I might be afflicted with some kind of post-lockdown frenzy to see as much performing art as I can when I can, lest it be snatched away again.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I did give Cuthbertson's Juliet a second go, in 2022 when she'd come back from her first maternity leave, but still remained unmoved by it, hence I hadn't planned to give her Manon a second go.

I actually really did like Cuthbertson’s Juliet - I wasn’t sure what to expect, and was very pleasantly surprised by her and Ball together. The final scene in particular. It’s a shame she didn’t also do Mary Vetsera in 2022 as I would have liked to see her interpretation.

If funds and timings allowed I would probably have booked for all the Manon casts, as this is my first time seeing the Royal Ballet perform it and I do find it superb. The music is fast becoming my favourite score! (Alongside R + J of course.)

Unfortunately it’s not possible to see everyone! I would also have liked to book for Sarah Lamb, but luckily her performance with Vadim from a few years ago is on ROH Stream.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, alison said:

We discussed the "boy" in the thread for the previous run, I'm sure.

24 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes, and I have found that current discussion is also in the 'Ballet Wish List 2024' thread.

Oh well, the screenshots/quotes I posted can be moved there, if you think it better - I don't mind, I was just sharing some info to which I had access. Still wishing I had my Different Drummer !

2 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Oh well, the screenshots/quotes I posted can be moved there, if you think it better - I don't mind, I was just sharing some info to which I had access. Still wishing I had my Different Drummer !

Here is fine; it's the Manon thread so it is totally relevant!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

I’m the same - it gets so stressful reading these glowing reviews😆.  There are too many dancers whose interpretations I would love to see, plus the partners have been changed about a bit from the past few production pairings.  Often there is a dancer I would like to see but am not as keen on their partner, so I end up going with the pairing who tick more boxes for me.  I just can’t financially or time wise see more than the two I’ve booked, but I have huge regrets to not see Naghdi and Bracewell - I have a feeling theirs will be very special- especially as Laura Morera is coaching William Bracewell in his debut and she proved how amazing she is at coaching in the insight event!

I’m already wondering if the FOMO will get too much and I’ll end up booking a Friday Rush for them.  I think I might be afflicted with some kind of post-lockdown frenzy to see as much performing art as I can when I can, lest it be snatched away again.

Who have you booked to see? I saw the general and really enjoyed Lauren and Matty - especially Matty as DG.  I am also seeing Hayward/Sambe and Kaneko/Muntagirov. Was considering changing the Hayward performance to one with Campbell as DG as I loved their partnership last time around, but then reviews on the forum of Campbell's Lescaut persuaded me to stick with Sambe/Hayward and see Campbell cast against type! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

I also agree with the post-lockdown exhilaration and appreciation of being able to see all these wonderful artists again! 

• Like 2

"Georgiadis researched the period in depth, drawing on images from paintings and etchings for his costumes and settings: the sinister ratcatcher and the girl dressed as a pretty boy, for example, come from18th century pictures. Later designers for other companies’ productions have been less specific about the ballet’s social context." 

‘Basically, Manon is a slut and Des Grieux is a fool and they move in the most unsavoury company . . . the most effective character, in fact, becomes Lescaut himself’, wrote Mary Clarke in The Guardian. ‘

https://www.kennethmacmillan.com/new-page-97

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cescablue said:

Who have you booked to see? I saw the general and really enjoyed Lauren and Matty - especially Matty as DG.  I am also seeing Hayward/Sambe and Kaneko/Muntagirov. Was considering changing the Hayward performance to one with Campbell as DG as I loved their partnership last time around, but then reviews on the forum of Campbell's Lescaut persuaded me to stick with Sambe/Hayward and see Campbell cast against type! 

You won’t regret it!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cescablue said:

I’m seeing Osipova/Clarke, mainly because my friends wanted to do a matinee, though I am interested in seeing Osipova’s interpretation of Manon - it should be interesting.  I’m also seeing Kaneko/Muntagirov as they’re both firm favourites of mine and I’ve decided to try and see Muntagirov in as many roles as I can while he’s still in his prime and with us in London.  I think if it was only my decision I would have picked Naghdi and Bracewell instead of the Osipova cast, but I’d probably be fretting about that too.

I love the Lamb and Muntagirov version on the streaming service and would have loved to see them paired again.  The last time I saw Manon was with Tamara Rojo and Carlos Acosta, so I’m really excited to see it again live.

I’ll be interested to see Campbell’s drunken Lescaut.  I’ve yet to see anyone better David Wall, but it requires someone with some subtle comedic acting skills (and the nerves to just drop down like a dead weight) so I’m hoping Campbell will get it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

My comparison was with the General Rehearsal where I’d been much impressed with Ball, Acri and Mendizabel but less so with Cuthbertson. Last night I found Cuthbertson much more engaging, making for a hugely enjoyable evening. I do think Ball a ‘must see’ Des Grieux.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

If funds and timings allowed I would probably have booked for all the Manon casts, as this is my first time seeing the Royal Ballet perform it and I do find it superb. The music is fast becoming my favourite score! (Alongside R + J of course.)

Same here except I don't have the excuse of it being my first time as I saw 5 casts in 2019 (plus 2 ENB casts earlier the same year). I say that R&J is my favourite score written as a score & Manon is my favourite compiled score, as I can't choose between them. I had tears in my eyes just hearing some of the music played on the piano when watching the recent Insight stream & re-watching the 2018 one.

3 hours ago, Cescablue said:

Was considering changing the Hayward performance to one with Campbell as DG as I loved their partnership last time around, but then reviews on the forum of Campbell's Lescaut persuaded me to stick with Sambe/Hayward and see Campbell cast against type! 

Hayward replacing Takada has rather thrown a spanner in the works of planning! I had planned to try to see Hayward/Sambe with Campbell as Lescaut & skip Takada/Campbell but now I'd both really like to see Hayward/Campbell again, as I thought they were fabulous together last time, and to see Campbell as Lescaut, which I've not seen as he didn't dance it last run. I've got 3 weeks to decide... Of course I may not be able to get rush tickets for either!

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

My comparison was with the General Rehearsal where I’d been much impressed with Ball, Acri and Mendizabel but less so with Cuthbertson. Last night I found Cuthbertson much more engaging, making for a hugely enjoyable evening. I do think Ball a ‘must see’ Des Grieux.

Thanks. Maybe Cuthbertson was somewhat marking it at the rehearsal, which would be understandable given it's her first full length ballet in a year and a half.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks. Maybe Cuthbertson was somewhat marking it at the rehearsal, which would be understandable given it's her first full length ballet in a year and a half.

IMO no way was she marking anything at the rehearsal: quite simply she was outstanding and gave a masterclass in how to do Manon. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, annamk said:

IMO no way was she marking anything at the rehearsal: quite simply she was outstanding and gave a masterclass in how to do Manon. 

She certainly was not marking anything. She gave one of the performances of her career in that general!  IMHO.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I didn't comment on performances in the rehearsal as that's the usual form, but I did think Lauren Cuthbertson was excellent and really put her heart into a performance that was most convincing and beautifully danced.

• Like 7