Manon, Royal Ballet Winter 2024

15 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

What memories this brings back, they took such risks!

Resulting in Alina nearly knocking her teeth out in one performance :(

5 hours ago, Sim said:

Indeed it is!  He is obviously starting back gently.

What was he doing?

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, alison said:

What was he doing?

He was one of the clients in Act 2.  Wearing a white wig with curls and a bit of a fat tummy.  He was the one who tells Madame with his hands the shape of the kind of girl he wants.

Aiden O'Brien was also a client...he had a bit of hump back.  I've never noticed anyone else do that!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Sharing this awesome clip of 20+ years ago (apologies for the poor quality.  Technology has moved on quite a bit!)

Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg shortly before their MANON debut (from Johan’s Instagram)

Hold on to your hats 😉

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoYVWnqjTGk/?igsh=MXdiMmJmNzN2bGFqYQ==

Yikes!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

What memories this brings back, they took such risks!

Yes indeed, I saw them many times, they were wonderful in Manon, seemed able to do anything with perfect chemistry together.

Anyway lots of good casts to come.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, annamk said:

Did anyone else think that Marco Masciari was one of the Gentlemen this afternoon and not Taisuke Nakao who is named on the cast sheet - or was it my eyesight ? 

I thought it was Taisuke.

• Like 1

Well, I know Fumi Kaneko is for a start. There are some lovely pictures on her Instagram of her and Vadim’s stage rehearsal. It certainly looks like a very promising partnership and I’m really looking forward to seeing them both in February.

I think that Marci Sambe it’s also making his debut as well as William Bracewell.

Edited by Nina99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I felt really connected with the dancers at the general rehearsal today, am so glad I took the day off work and hurried down to London for an 11:30 start. Note to self: Read the ticket information properly and don’t make assumptions!🤣

I really enjoyed watching Luca Acri as Lescaut, thought Lauren Cuthbertson/Matthew Ball were lovely together, Gary Avis commanding as Monsieur GM and everybody else played their part too. As other members have already said, this is a terrific cast and I’m very tempted to see them again.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Nina99 said:

Well, I know Fumi Kaneko is for a start. There are some lovely pictures on her Instagram of her and Vadim’s stage rehearsal. It certainly looks like a very promising partnership and I’m really looking forward to seeing them both in February.

I think that Marci Sambe it’s also making his debut as well as William Bracewell.

Debut also for Yasmine Naghdi

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Gosh I remember that - her misjudging something and slamming her chin on the stage in the Act 3 pdd!

5 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Gosh I remember that - her misjudging something and slamming her chin on the stage in the Act 3 pdd!

So do I!  And didn't Sarah Lamb injure her foot in that same pdd??

34 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Can someone tell me who will making their debuts in the main roles during this run? Thank you 

Anna-Rose O’Sullivan as Lescaut’s Mistress.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

So do I!  And didn't Sarah Lamb injure her foot in that same pdd??

I was under the impression it was the bedroom pas de deux, but I could be wrong.

I am looking forward to seeing with my sister the triple debut on Saturday of William Bracewell, Yasmine Naghdi and Anna Rose O'Sullivan, I know they are going to be awesome!

This is my third time seeing the ballet, previously I saw  Muntagirov/Lamb in 2014 and Osipova/Shklyarov (Yasmine Naghdi played the Mistress,  a wonderful evening with a luxury cast) in 2018 so really excited to see a new cast in one of my favourite ballets.

Just counting down the days of the working week.

Edited by WoodlandGladeFairy
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

Can someone tell me who will making their debuts in the main roles during this run? Thank you 

Richardson, Hirano, Bracewell, Sambe-DG

Naghdi, Kaneko- Manon

Acri- Lescaut 

O'Sullivan, Magri, Hinkis (not sure if she's danced it before-60% certain) - Mistress 

Not an exhaustive list....just ones that came to mind

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FionaM said:

Sharing this awesome clip of 20+ years ago (apologies for the poor quality.  Technology has moved on quite a bit!)

Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg shortly before their MANON debut (from Johan’s Instagram)

Hold on to your hats 😉

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoYVWnqjTGk/?igsh=MXdiMmJmNzN2bGFqYQ==

Ok.  So. I nearly had a heart attack watching that clip!! 😱

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Richardson, Hirano, Bracewell, Sambe-DG

Naghdi, Kaneko- Manon

Acri- Lescaut 

O'Sullivan, Magri, Hinkis (not sure if she's danced it before-60% certain) - Mistress 

Not an exhaustive list....just ones that came to mind

Acri and Magri definitely appeared as Lescaut and Mistress in 2019 (not I think together. Acri was Lescaut in Morera’s cast with Hinkis, and I saw Magri with Corrales opposite Hayward and Campbell, which was a decidedly dream cast)

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Acri and Magri definitely appeared as Lescaut and Mistress in 2019 (not I think together. Acri was Lescaut in Morera’s cast with Hinkis, and I saw Magri with Corrales opposite Hayward and Campbell, which was a decidedly dream cast)

I was reflecting on that cast after today's rehearsal - I agree, a dream! I was disappointed that Hayward wasn't initially cast opposite Campbell in this run, but as it stands it looks as though I might get to see them again (though without Magri and Corrales this time round!). Sad for Takada though.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Ah, thanks, @Jamesrhblack

Can we have a vote on which Des Grieux will wear the hat at the start of act 1. To me it sets his character out as a man with no worldly experience. All the other men on stage appear in hats to start with - apart from the beggars etc - so he should too. It seems now that you can tuck it under your arm and stroll on. Sambe this evening declined to wear his so 1-0 so far! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Candleque said:

Act I looked dreamy imo. Am reminded how much I enjoy seeing Alex Campbell on stage. (I know he did Nutcracker, but I like when there is more of a character to shine through the dancing) 

Agree - stunning performances tonight! I’m still processing. Great debut from Marcelino. Francesca of course nails this role.

I have to say though, Alexander Campbell and Mayara Magri were simply superb. I think Act 2 was my favourite. I think Magri shines so much in MacMillan - as indeed the whole company does.

I feel like I haven’t seen Campbell on stage for ages, so it was incredible to see him.

• Like 12

A wonderful evening.  Manon is my favourite role of Frankie’s.  Marcelino got better and better as the ballet progressed. Fabulous performance from Alex Campbell.  And Mayara Magri.  More tomorrow.  

• Like 10