RB Winter 2024 Booking

Guest oncnp

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Lynette H said:

The Manon Insight was sold out before booking opened. It seems they don't hold back tickets even for the "lesser" Friends, never mind the public.  (It does say it will be livestreamed). 

thank goodness for the Livestream 👏

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lesley said:

The Insight was sold out before Supporting Friends booking. Same happened with Don Q insight but just struck lucky with a return for Monday!

So in order to guarantee being able to get tickets for Insights someone would have to have a minimum of Premium 1 Friends level of membership? Which (checks ROH website) currently costs £1420 a year. Ouch!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

So in order to guarantee being able to get tickets for Insights someone would have to have a minimum of Premium 1 Friends level of membership? Which (checks ROH website) currently costs £1420 a year. Ouch!

Don’t forget the chauffeur to take you there and back home or a private car parking space in central London for those who can drive  in case there’s a rail strike, Dawnstar 😉. I just watch on livestream/YouTube and if it isn’t recorded, I just wait for the next one that is. Actually, post pandemic, I am finding that there is so much to see and attend - we are lucky - that I can’t even keep up with the Insights, unless I can clone myself...... 😂

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Don’t forget the chauffeur to take you there and back home or a private car parking space in central London for those who can drive  in case there’s a rail strike, Dawnstar 😉. I just watch on livestream/YouTube and if it isn’t recorded, I just wait for the next one that is.

True! Same here. I probably wouldn't actually go to (m)any Insights even if tickets are freely available, as c. 2 hours door to door travel each way for an event that only lasts about 1h15 doesn't seem worth it. However I'm still rather horrified that if I did want to guarantee getting tickets I'd have to pay as much in membership as I approximately paid for all my RB tickets in total last season!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Will this be streamed, does anyone know?

Good question. When initially announced there was a 'filming' tag on the relevant page (so it went in the diary as such) - but that tag disappeared. BUT - the tag is back, so looks like it IS being streamed (crossed fingers)

• Like 1

Long-time lurker... Unfortunately I had a repeat of the July fiasco for Friends booking this morning where it said I'd reached my limit after choosing one ticket, then said my basket was empty, then the spot was unavailable to rebook. This was despite doing everything in the booking advice outlined in the Friends email beforehand. Why can't the tech just work? Eventually got it to work on my mobile browser. I was trying only for Manon this time, at least, so I haven't had the rage I had after losing a basketful of prime SCS spots in the summer!

Sad to see a repeat of the Don Quixote price increase for my preferred side amphitheatre seats. Last time I saw Manon in October 2019 I sat in C36 for £18, so I can't stomach (or afford) £49, unfortunately. How are those seats for Don Q or Manon priced more expensively than The Nutcracker?! 

This time I was after two tickets, and there were no pairs left in SCS or balcony standing, and I haven't found the upper slips comfortable recently. All this means is that I've booked for only one cast instead of two: Kaneko/Muntagirov edging it for me over Naghdi/Bracewell because of Joseph Sissens as Lescaut. Hopefully I can pick up a solo seat for the other pairing in Friday Rush to avoid severe fomo.

If anyone is after an Osipova/Sambe Don Quixote SCS spot - I've just returned my spare ticket for Wed Oct 4.

• Like 3

I actually had a very calm experience this morning, compared to the stress of the  Autumn booking period! Hope the website held up well for others.

General discontent at price increases means I chose to splurge on a single Manon stalls ticket for Kaneko/Muntagirov, rather than buying various Amphi/balcony tickets across multiple casts as I usually do. So needless to say, I am looking forward to 23 February!

Had smooth booking today.  That said:  Never bought so little before and remarkably the opera o'reweighed ballet this time.  Sorry not to be able to get a place for Draft Works but I do understand these things are no longer for the realistic purvey of the likes of me.  Understood.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

2 hours ago, MildConcern said:

General discontent at price increases means I chose to splurge on a single Manon stalls ticket for Kaneko/Muntagirov, rather than buying various Amphi/balcony tickets across multiple casts as I usually do.

sounds like you're their perfect customer! 😉

I’m sorry to read about the problems you had @HelenHelen. I think the Don Q and Manon prices are part of the ROH’s experimental pricing whilst Nutcracker prices are not: rather they reflect more traditional pricing patterns.

Given the experimental nature of Don Q and Manon pricing, I think it’s important to give feedback to the ROH. The ROH did respond to feedback when Don Q standing prices were announced and there have been some other welcome changes eg Stalls Circle bench seats which under experimental pricing are more reasonably priced, including a lower price category for the more restricted seats.

But those front Amphitheatre Sides seats you highlight seem the most glaring examples of extortionate prices under experimental pricing. When I contacted Alex Beard after Winter prices were published to offer some feedback, I certainly drew attention to those seats. Alex Beard said he’d share my thoughts with the team to continue the debate around pricing levels. Spring brings Swan Lake, most probably the highest priced ballet this season, and I’d like to think the ROH will look again at these seats before finalising Spring prices. Perhaps further feedback adding weight to concerns raised may help bring about change?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

My experience at 9am was the same, fairly easy but I only bought a total of 4 Manon tickets, and in 2 sessions to avoid problems. Amphi row S has been over-priced again (in my opinion) at £49 centre, but all the prices look high, top price amphi £140!

I think you may have misinterpreted the seating plan.    £140 is the top price in the Stalls, Grand Tier...etc, whereas the top price in the Amphitheatre is £99.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MildConcern said:

I actually had a very calm experience this morning, compared to the stress of the  Autumn booking period! Hope the website held up well for others.

General discontent at price increases means I chose to splurge on a single Manon stalls ticket for Kaneko/Muntagirov, rather than buying various Amphi/balcony tickets across multiple casts as I usually do. So needless to say, I am looking forward to 23 February!

Same here. Two front row Grand Tier for Manon with Kaneko / Muntagirov on 23 February for me too and only booking.

20 hours ago, JohnS said:

Given the experimental nature of Don Q and Manon pricing, I think it’s important to give feedback to the ROH. The ROH did respond to feedback when Don Q standing prices were announced and there have been some other welcome changes eg Stalls Circle bench seats which under experimental pricing are more reasonably priced, including a lower price category for the more restricted seats.

But those front Amphitheatre Sides seats you highlight seem the most glaring examples of extortionate prices under experimental pricing. When I contacted Alex Beard after Winter prices were published to offer some feedback, I certainly drew attention to those seats. Alex Beard said he’d share my thoughts with the team to continue the debate around pricing levels. Spring brings Swan Lake, most probably the highest priced ballet this season, and I’d like to think the ROH will look again at these seats before finalising Spring prices. Perhaps further feedback adding weight to concerns raised may help bring about change?

I emailed the ROH yesterday, and have today received the standard justification for prices rises etc from Graham Bolland, to which I have replied.

I can't really see past the fact that the tickets I normally buy have largely more than doubled in the last few years. The ROH obviously thinks that its patrons have bottomless pockets. Well they're wrong.

• Like 7

Just want to say thanks for all who post here, especially for sharing specifics like whether they spot good SCS places available on the Friend+ or Friend booking days. The ROH actually sent me a 'renew your membership' email with a countdown to booking dates (only remarkable as it is smart marketing) and I struggled to decide if it is worth it. Early booking is most valuable imo if you can get a great view at an affordable price. (Going by Don Q, there are plenty of the high priced seats available on the public booking day 😁)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m trying to book Manon tickets now and it appears they have different pricing for Hayward’s matinee as they do for Osipova’s date. Hayward’s matinee on the 17th Feb being more expensive than the 3rd and 7th Feb.

I have no idea what is going on. I may just book to secure seats and email ROH later…? 

unless it is a new strategy to price different dates differently???

1 minute ago, JNC said:

I’m trying to book Manon tickets now and it appears they have different pricing for Hayward’s matinee as they do for Osipova’s date. Hayward’s matinee on the 17th Feb being more expensive than the 3rd and 7th Feb.

I have no idea what is going on. I may just book to secure seats and email ROH later…? 

unless it is a new strategy to price different dates differently???

Is one of those the cinema performance? Prices can be different due to the cameras blocking certain seats. 

I wanted two Manons - Bracewell cast on 20th Jan, and Ball cast on 19th. I was thrilled to get SCS for Bracewell, and couldn't believe my luck when I also managed to pick up SCS for the Ball cast. Then the dreaded error message! Lost the Ball tickets, but thankfully, retained the Bracewell ones, which was my must-see cast.

In days gone by, if I couldn't get SCS I would have gone for amphi, but not at those prices- I will hold out for picking up an SCS later on.

I have a spare SCS for the Bracewell cast if anyone needs it. It's D5, so technically restricted view - but I think it's ok.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Is one of those the cinema performance? Prices can be different due to the cameras blocking certain seats. 

Yes camera is filming for the cheaper dates. But the entire pricing seems to be off, and there is no indication that views will be restricted. 

For the Osipova dates the pricing is

£8

and the bands are different as well. Eg for £34 I can sit in row M (amphi side). But this costs £49 on the Hayward date. 

for Hayward it’s 

I’d rather not have a restricted view and will they have cameras up in the amphitheatre? 

I might email ROH to ask as the Hayward pricing seems to be the standard one it’s just the Osipova dates that appear different. 

I tried to add photos of the seat map but the files were too large. 

edited to say when I say cheaper it’s not necessarily the case, just the back central amphi I’m looking at is £34 to £49, I don’t think it’s “cheaper” anywhere else. 

Shocked at Manon prices. I’ve booked two performances but closer to the time I think I’ll look at train prices (and strikes!) and probably return one, unless I can maybe pick up a good scs from here as it’s too expensive to justify otherwise. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, JNC said:

Yes camera is filming for the cheaper dates. But the entire pricing seems to be off, and there is no indication that views will be restricted. 

[snip]

and the bands are different as well. Eg for £34 I can sit in row M (amphi side). But this costs £49 on the Hayward date. 

[snip]

I might email ROH to ask as the Hayward pricing seems to be the standard one it’s just the Osipova dates that appear different.

[snip]

Shocked at Manon prices. I’ve booked two performances but closer to the time I think I’ll look at train prices (and strikes!) and probably return one, unless I can maybe pick up a good scs from here as it’s too expensive to justify otherwise. 

I'm afraid it's hardly the first time there's been erratic pricing in the amphi between performances (I don't bother looking anywhere else these days, so can't comment about elsewhere).  I did think about emailing the ROH once and enquiring myself, but was worried that I might alert them to a way they could squeeze a few more quid out of the punters, so didn't in the end!

Like you, I'm totally shocked about the pricing for Manon - and have developed a new theory about it which I may go into when I have more time.  By comparison, I also booked for Hansel and Gretel: the standing tickets are a bit more expensive than for the ballet, which is usual for opera, but the side amphi tickets, which I might possibly have stretched to, were double the price of stalls circle standing.  OTOH, I wasn't sure whether I'd like the production, so, having seen production photographs and realised that I might want a full-height view, I've gone for a balcony standing which I wouldn't have gone for for ballet.

Incidentally, this was only a reasonably successful shop for me: 3 of the casts I couldn't get anything for that was within my price range, which I guess is a reflection of the increased pressure on the standing tickets, so I shall once again be dependent on returns :(

• Like 2