RB Winter 2024 Booking

Guest oncnp

I had a shock last night.  I saw an advert for a production of the Scottish play that shall not be named that is opening in Liverpool at somewhere I had never heard of.  It stars Ralph Fiennes in the title role.

It is in a put together theatre at a film studios on the outskirts of Liverpool so I don't know how luxurious or otherwise it will be.

I looked at a couple of random dates - it looks as though the stage is thrust and while the bulk of the seats at the side are reasonably priced most of the seats in the main block are £150!!  In a made up theatre in Liverpool!!!  Both the random performances I looked at were heavily booked but I don't know if they all are.

• Like 2

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For years you could stand for between 50p and £1 in the 70’s and Amphi seats were relatively cheap to what they are this year at any rate. 
I lived in London then and 70’s and 80’s I was always at the ROH and other theatres and at Music venues like the Festival Hall.    
I started teaching in 1970 in Liverpool and moved to London in 1973 where everything was literally twice as expensive!!
I was obviously a bit better off than a student but was not exactly earning a huge wage but it was enough to feed me and keep me in ballet classes and theatre tickets at the time lol!! 
Though I am glad you have shown that  it wasn’t exactly a golden age either PeterS as it is often painted to be ….being able to afford to buy property in London and South East area was just as difficult as it is now especially if counting on one wage. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

I do remember that before 1999 the amphitheatre prices relative to the cost of living were much lower than they are now. I remember prices in the front amphitheatre (rows A to E) being £8 (for the most central seats) and £3 (a bit more to the side but not restricted view) for normal prices, including advance booking, for Darcey Bussell or Viviana Durante in Prince of the Pagodas in 1989 and 1990. In 1994 (I think, or early 1995) the best front amphitheatre seats (rows A and B, right in the centre) did shoot up to £20 for BRB’s Coppelia (BRB visited both ROH and Sadler’s Wells from time to time in those days- now they only visit Sadler’s Wells), which was a big jump up in price for that time (the seats to the side were cheaper) but I thought justified as it was a new production which looked beautiful in the publicity photographs. This is the production and designs they still currently perform.

I’d say the POTP ballet at the time would be about the equivalent of The Two Pigeons or Manon in terms of prices it can command, due to the casts of the ballets (it received a lot of press coverage due to Bussell having been promoted to principal at a young age by MacMillan after dancing that ballet). Coppelia was similar then as it is now in terms of box office appeal. Prices in those sections are now over £80 for full length ballets, some productions over £100. 

I think the high Scottish play prices are due to Ralph Fiennes being a movie star, although that seems very high for Liverpool. I didn’t buy tickets for Jude Law’s Hamlet some years ago (or Benedict Cumberbatch more recently in 2015) but they were very high as well, although they were London performances. 

Edited by Emeralds

There are cheaper seats for the Ralph Fiennes Scottish play - about £45 to sit at the side of the ‘stage’ - though that’s in London. Most stalls seats tend to be over £100 these days at the theatre.  I remember going to New York around 20 years ago and being shocked at how expensive Broadway was compared to the West End - glad to see we’ve rectified that....😞

Ticket prices have gone through the roof in the last 10/15 years.  I almost always used to sit in the stalls, especially with those show pairs tickets and other discounts you used to get.  I pay about the equivalent or sometimes double the old stalls prices now to sit up in the gods. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I had a shock last night.  I saw an advert for a production of the Scottish play that shall not be named that is opening in Liverpool at somewhere I had never heard of.  It stars Ralph Fiennes in the title role.

It is in a put together theatre at a film studios on the outskirts of Liverpool so I don't know how luxurious or otherwise it will be.

I looked at a couple of random dates - it looks as though the stage is thrust and while the bulk of the seats at the side are reasonably priced most of the seats in the main block are £150!!  In a made up theatre in Liverpool!!!  Both the random performances I looked at were heavily booked but I don't know if they all are.

i've heard it said over the years that there is a lot of wealth in the regional cities and more disposable income because of lower housing costs.  i don't know if this is still true though. perhaps this is the market the production is trying to tap into.

presumably the site-specific nature of this production adds to the cost of mounting it like it does for a pop concert or festival and so informs ticket prices

top price in London for this show is as much as £195 on a similar seating plan so some 30% higher than Liverpool.  it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world

ps David Tennant can be seen in the same play at the Donmar Warehouse at the end of the year with top price tickets £69

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2

On 06/08/2023 at 22:26, Dawnstar said:

Now I'm back on my laptop & can look at the seating plans properly (how anyone manages to do booking on a phone I do not know!) I'm having a look at the operas. Two of them, Cav & Pag and Tosca, I've seen within the last 13 months. Comparing what I paid for my seats then compared to what they are priced at next season, Cav & Pag will be cheaper but Tosca will be more expensive. I am extremely baffled as to what is going on with the ROH's price choices this coming season! Though I suppose I should just be grateful that at least some prices are slightly lower.

Dawnstar, I think they reduced Cav and Pag this season because they aren’t booking Jonas Kaufmann for Cav and for Pag this time. Ironically, the cast is almost similar to last time, because Kaufmann cancelled due to illness- Alagna replaced him in Pag, Baek replaced him in Cav and both were excellent. Sartori has sung Canio in Pag before and Alagna is now switching over to Cav. So I guess the fees might be lower and hence the prices are as well.....which is good for audiences!

I think from the Tosca casting, the price rises are too high. Would be interesting to see if they can sell just based on the name Tosca.

• Like 1

When I started working in the mid-to-late 80s, my annual income started at £7000, or maybe £7500.  My first trips to the RB were on £10 standbys, when the top stalls price was £33.  And I definitely remember one ticket price being £0.65, although that may have been standing.  Obviously, if my income had kept pace with RB ticket prices I wouldn't be struggling to afford tickets now.

BTW, when I went to the Nureyev Gala at Drury Lane, I bumped into an ex-colleague.  She didn't go to much ballet, but had seen publicity for this and had splurged on a £95 (I think) ticket for it.  So, there is clearly a market for tickets at those sort of prices, but for far too many people that will simply be an occasional treat - which, ultimately, is not what the ROH is going to want.  Unless they are more shortsighted than I thought, that is.

• Like 2

Speaking of the Scottish play, I am heading to The Globe to see it this evening. Top price ticket (bench seat with cushion) is £68 as with all productions, however, scenery is sparse to none, lighting is quite limited etc, which means the relative cost of putting on a performance must be much less. 

I got two £15 side of the stage tickets in the pre-sale period for the London showing of the Scottish play with Ralph Fiennes and Indira Varma. It’s said to be a small and intimate venue at Dock X, Canada Water and the rows are said to be staggered so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PeterS said:

i've heard it said over the years that there is a lot of wealth in the regional cities and more disposable income because of lower housing costs. 

I know it's not necessarily your opinion PeterS and you're just quoting what a lot of people think, but as someone who lives in a 'regional city' I don't think there as much disposable income as people seem to think, at least now. 

While yes, rents and house prices are less than London, this by no means equates to 'affordable', and they have steeply risen meaning much less disposable income generally as more is going on these essentials. Coupled with generally lower wages, and the price of food/eating out and household bills not differing that much, and public transport generally costing more than London (proportionality to distance certainly) I don't think the average person outside London has more disposable income than in London, it would either be roughly the same or actually even less. 

Nonetheless I'm glad to see more productions touring to 'regional cities', but only if the prices are reasonable. It will be frustrating if due to poor sales they think there isn't the interest for this outside of London, when that won't necessarily be the case. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The splitting of the row B side stalls circle bench seats into 2 price categories has caused a worrying thought to come into my mind. I wonder if the row C bench seats that are reserved for Friday rush will therefore be more expensive than the row C bench seats that are available for advanced sale?

• 3 weeks later...

Booking opens tomorrow for

• Manon
  • WINTER DRAFT WORKS 

• FESTIVAL OF NEW CHOREOGRAPHY

Insights

• THE LEGACY OF NIJINSKA (again)
  • PHOTOGRAPHING THE DANTE PROJECT WITH MARY MCCARTNEY

• 50 YEARS OF MANON

• FESTIVAL OF NEW CHOREOGRAPHY

General: 4 October 2023, 9am
Young ROH: 3 October 2023, 9am
Friends: 19 September 2023, 9am
Young Friends: 19 September 2023, 9am
Friends+: 14 September 2023, 9am
Supporting Friends: 12 September 2023, 9am
Premium 1 Friends: 7 September 2023, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 5 September 2023, 9am

Concerning the Festival of New Choreography, the blub said that there would be performances in the Linbury and Clore Studio as well as the four scheduled dates on the main stage. The main stage dates are there on the ROH web site but there's no trace on the web site so far of anything in the Linbury or Clore. Presumably the Linbury piece is the work by Robert Binet.   

Booking is now open for some Friends so this seems a bit odd. 

Just curious because the Clore and Linbury seem more congenial homes for some new work - the main stage is dauntingly vast for a choreographer at an early stage in their career. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

Concerning the Festival of New Choreography, the blub said that there would be performances in the Linbury and Clore Studio as well as the four scheduled dates on the main stage. The main stage dates are there on the ROH web site but there's no trace on the web site so far of anything in the Linbury or Clore. Presumably the Linbury piece is the work by Robert Binet.   

Booking is now open for some Friends so this seems a bit odd. 

Just curious because the Clore and Linbury seem more congenial homes for some new work - the main stage is dauntingly vast for a choreographer at an early stage in their career. 

There is a separate listing on the website for 5 Feb in the Clore Studio. 1 hour 15 mins without an interval. (The length/content of the main stage performances isn't yet listed.)

4 hours ago, Josette said:

Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but can someone tell me how to get to the Clore Studio? I have a ticket for November 30. 

At the end of the Amphi bar, turn left (rather than right along the corridor to the back of the amphitheatre) and go up the stairs. At the top of the stairs, there is a long corridor, but turn right instead, and there you are. It is sign posted - and the ushers will assist if you get lost!

Sorry Dave had meant to edit my post earlier to say I’m a bit nerdy about directions ( well and one or two other things as well!!) 

I know I could easily be confused by which end of the bar if I was a newby! 

And of course inevitably choose the wrong end. 
The first time I went to the Clore even though been in the Amphi area thousands of times I had to ask where it was!!
If I’m meeting friends up in Amphi bar area we usually say “whereabouts by the toilet end or by the escalators?” 

My booking yesterday went smoothly, but worth noting that Manon already seems quite popular and to get central SCS I've had to de-prioritise the casts I wanted to see, whereas everything seemed to be easily available for Nutcracker and Don Q. There was one new cast I particularly wanted to see so may have to be less discerning ticket wise to make it achievable!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

The Manon Insight was sold out before booking opened. It seems they don't hold back tickets even for the "lesser" Friends, never mind the public.  (It does say it will be livestreamed). 

Yes. I was disappointed about this. Yet again not able to book. However, I am very lucky to have been generously gifted tickets for two insight evenings from a very kind fairy godmother, so I feel really lucky I can go to the ball (still can't quite believe it!) One is on Monday for DQ and I am so excited. I can't wait as I have never succeeded in getting tickets before!! 

Otherwise, my booking today went really smoothly again. So far, I have never had any trouble (other than booking the insights, which are always sold out before my booking opens).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I used to be able to go to Insights, but recently they always seem unavailable by the time my membership (Friend +) allows booking.

keep an eye out nearer the time - they often release batches of tickets that aren't taken up by groups they are reserved for

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2