The Sleeping Beauty, Royal Ballet 2023

Remembering those soaring lifts in the vision scene on Saturday afternoon (I know Fumi is tiny but she did look as if she might go into flight!) i think a very assured and sensitive partner is the sine qua non. (Takes moment to remember Irek and those lifts in Manon and tossing Stephanie around like a doll in Mayerling!)

• Like 2

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I surmised that Bracewell recently filled in for an absent Muntagirov in the recent Ballet Icons gala, as in the promotional materials Bracewell was not listed and Muntagirov was, with the latter cancelling his appearance. Bracewell also covered Sambe, who was due to dance with Hayward. I'd have  loved to have seen both couples dance at that gala. I did look at tickets but couldn't justify spending that much :( 

(As has been discussed on another thread, Muntagirov was listed by a promoter who puts many well known names on her initial publicity material.

I think it has been established that he did not “cancel his performance”.)

I would love to see Nunez and Bracewell dance Grand Pas Classique too!!!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

(As has been discussed on another thread, Muntagirov was listed by a promoter who puts many well known names on her initial publicity material.

I think it has been established that he did not “cancel his performance”.)

I would love to see Nunez and Bracewell dance Grand Pas Classique too!!!

Really? I had no idea and must have missed that. Thanks for letting me know. Not very . . . transparent? . . .to advertise dancers who are not attending and never were as many fans would understandably be very disappointed.  

I had hoped Grand Pas might have been included in the Diamond Celebration, but alas that was not to be. The rehearsal footage looked amazing, I really hope there will be an opportunity for it to be performed in the future :) 

• Like 3

I meant to say, and didn't in my long-winded ramble about Beauty on Saturday, that I thought the costumes looked amazing.

Also, I hope someone can answer this for me and it is a strange question. The magically powered carriage (?)The Lilac Fairy and Prince travelled in (amongst the dry ice, erm, mist). How is that powered and steered? I know it's a ridiculous question, but I couldn't work out how it could traverse such a meandering path as well as it did. As I was watching it wend its way, that random thought came into my head. Does anyone know?

8 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I meant to say, and didn't in my long-winded ramble about Beauty on Saturday, that I thought the costumes looked amazing.

Also, I hope someone can answer this for me and it is a strange question. The magically powered carriage (?)The Lilac Fairy and Prince travelled in (amongst the dry ice, erm, mist). How is that powered and steered? I know it's a ridiculous question, but I couldn't work out how it could traverse such a meandering path as well as it did. As I was watching it wend its way, that random thought came into my head. Does anyone know?

Magic. 
The Lilac Fairy’s wand is either magic or a remote control. I think it’s the former 😀

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I think there is someone controlling it remotely from offstage.  I am always amazed that it doesn't end up in the orchestra pit.  Quite a skill to guide it all over that stage!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

What! You mean it's not magic?

I think it's pretty magic, how it's done!  But of course, I might just be an old cynic, assuming it's someone with a remote control offstage.  It might well be Lilac magic!!  

• Like 3

It used to be the norm to have specific pairings, didn't it?  I remember my mother talking about it, as she adored Sibley/Dowell and tried to see all their performances.  And wasn't Bussell's mentor Donald MacLeary usually paired with....(nips off to have a quick look)...Beriosova?  I suppose the idea was to allow couples to mature together.  I know that there are masses of rehearsals, but even so, there is no doubt that dancers who know each other extremely well can relax a little more and concentrate on character development.  I remember Dowell giving an interview once, and he said that he and Sibley suited each other so well physically, they didn't even have to think about their positions on stage, their lines matched perfectly.   

Nowadays it seems to be a sort of luck of the draw as to who is paired with who.  I can't believe it is based on the ballerina's personal preference, but even so some ballerinas do seem to have the same partner no matter what the ballet is.  Which is a pity, because I normally book by choosing the female principal, which means I hardly ever get to see certain male principals.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Sim said:

I think it's pretty magic, how it's done!  But of course, I might just be an old cynic, assuming it's someone with a remote control offstage.  It might well be Lilac magic!!  

Yes. I think it's magic how it's done. I was thinking, as it glided gracefully around the stage, 'Good job it's not me at the steering wheel!'

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, capybara said:

The ‘drivers’ are standing in the back - hence the bulky design.

But they are still magicians.

I was going to suggest it’s generally the tiniest JA, before they stand behind a tree but an inside source* once assured me that the driver had to hold a driver’s licence (for insurance  requirements) so that puts paid to this idyll. 

*I’m afraid I can’t disclose the identity of said ‘source’. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

I saw Hayward and Corrales in Romeo and Juliet and it was one of those really stand out performances for me however I’m not sure if they were actually “together” then ….or were just about to be!! But something magical definitely marked the performance I saw!!! 

I think as you say it does depend on the dancers but personally I think it could be an added pressure continually dancing with your life partner!!
Obviously these RB dancers all know each other pretty well anyway  as some have gone through school together too so that must help with trust and familiarity to support good performances together without being actual partners as it were. 
I enjoy seeing dancers with different partners anyway. 
I remember a gala a couple of years back where Corrales danced with Osipova who both took it right to the edge …..so some heart in mouth stuff but truly exciting!!  
Some partnerships may work better in some Pieces than others too. 
The above pas de deux would not have worked so well if Corrales had danced it with Hayward ….very nearly almost the opposite to Osipova in style …..but the two of them together in Rhapsody….absolutely lovely. 

According to Hayward in a few interviews, they were! I saw one of those R&Js and they were magic together - so much spontaneity and passion; it didn’t feel “acted” but very natural. Their Benvolio, Mercutio and Tybalt (Hay, Sambe, Ball) were also a magic combination and it was one of the best R&Js I’ve ever seen. I was rather sad that their Swan Lake debut was cancelled by the Covid lockdown, after they had done what looked like an exciting dress rehearsal, according to the official photos. Still hoping they might get paired up for it one day, after they danced that beautiful Act 2 Adagio for the livestream.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

I was going to suggest it’s generally the tiniest JA, before they stand behind a tree but an inside source* once assured me that the driver had to hold a driver’s licence (for insurance  requirements) so that puts paid to this idyll. 

I thought that was only the sleigh in the Nutcracker?

36 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

According to Hayward in a few interviews, they were! I saw one of those R&Js and they were magic together - so much spontaneity and passion; it didn’t feel “acted” but very natural. Their Benvolio, Mercutio and Tybalt (Hay, Sambe, Ball) were also a magic combination and it was one of the best R&Js I’ve ever seen. I was rather sad that their Swan Lake debut was cancelled by the Covid lockdown, after they had done what looked like an exciting dress rehearsal, according to the official photos. Still hoping they might get paired up for it one day, after they danced that beautiful Act 2 Adagio for the livestream.

I was at the Swan Lake dress rehearsal and also listened to an interview where Hayward stated that she didn’t feel ready for Swan Lake at that time and the lockdown did her a favour in that respect, as when she did I finally get to dance it she felt much more confident.  Corrales was very impressive, but she was clearly struggling.  I’m glad she finally managed to conquer it

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I believe that Nunez/Bracewell danced together properly for the first time last summer, in Japan - Grand Pas Classique (I am still so jealous as I really wanted to see them perform that!). I only know that because they said that in an interview to promote the Japan tour. I remember Nunez saying she'd wanted to dance with Bracewell for some time. So, their partnership is very recent. I can't imagine how tricky casting must be. I don't envy Kevin O'Hare. 

I surmised that Bracewell recently filled in for an absent Muntagirov in the recent Ballet Icons gala, as in the promotional materials Bracewell was not listed and Muntagirov was, with the latter cancelling his appearance. Bracewell also covered Sambe, who was due to dance with Hayward. I'd have  loved to have seen both couples dance at that gala. I did look at tickets but couldn't justify spending that much :( 

Yes, that's what I was talking about, the Grand Pas was the first time they were paired together and the video to promote it Marianela said how much she wanted to dance with Bracewell.

I would love to see them in the Grand Pas, it seems audiences overseas get it, but we in the UK do not, and I'm a tiny bit envious.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, emmarose said:

Yes, that's what I was talking about, the Grand Pas was the first time they were paired together and the video to promote it Marianela said how much she wanted to dance with Bracewell.

I would love to see them in the Grand Pas, it seems audiences overseas get it, but we in the UK do not, and I'm a tiny bit envious.

I'm very envious.  I thought the Diamond Celebration would have been the perfect time to showcase it. Maybe one day? I really hope so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, emmarose said:

Not fair, is it, says she, amidst much foot thtamping and thcweaming. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sim said:

I think there is someone controlling it remotely from offstage.  I am always amazed that it doesn't end up in the orchestra pit.  Quite a skill to guide it all over that stage!

Whilst the correct answer is magic, the practical answer is that there is a mobility scooter inside the back of the carriage and there is somebody sitting on it driving (we learned this at a props insight day where we were let loose in the props department).

On a similar vein (and as @zxDaveM has already intimated), the Nutcracker sledge is powered by the battery from a milk float.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Whilst the correct answer is magic, the practical answer is that there is a mobility scooter inside the back of the carriage and there is somebody sitting on it driving (we learned this at a props insight day where we were let loose in the props department).

On a similar vein (and as @zxDaveM has already intimated), the Nutcracker sledge is powered by the battery from a milk float.

And when we were doing ROH's La Donna del Lago in the early 1980s this production had, unsurprisingly, a lady on a lake. The lady was supposed to be drifting across the lake in a sort of punt, which was radio controlled from the wings but rarely worked (or rather it worked in rehearsal but then repeatedly got stage fright). This led to a colleague of mine lying between the lady's legs in the punt, dressed in a black monk's cowl in an attempt to hide his presence, working the motor by hand. Happy days. 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I'm very envious.  I thought the Diamond Celebration would have been the perfect time to showcase it. Maybe one day? I really hope so.

Hopefully someday, maybe they might bring it out for Carlos' show in the summer? (She says while praying for it)

• Like 2

I love to see Naghdi and Ball dance together.  As they both went through the Royal Ballet School from the beginning, their lines and positions match each other beautifully.  They really are a class act! 

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Still reliving double Sleeping Beauty from 4 March and that very special matinee with Fumi Kaneko and Will Bracewell, exquisite in every detail. I very much enjoyed the evening (Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball) but felt completely spoiled by the matinee.

I thought the Prologue much better/more consistent than in my previous trips although I’m still not convinced by Lilac fairy’s solo and would be very interested to hear which Lilac Fairy solo readily available on DVD/film others would recommend. I also thought the Act 3 characters much better/ more consistent. For me that weekend was a great way to end the first part of the Sleeping Beauty run and I’ll look forward to new casts in the second part in May.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’m still not convinced by Lilac fairy’s solo and would be very interested to hear which Lilac Fairy solo readily available on DVD/film others would recommend. 

The late Beryl Grey. A clip of her Lilac Fairy has sometimes been on YouTube but gets taken down. However she can be seen in at least one of the “historic” complete RB Sleeping Beauty’s available on DVD.

Just check the cast list and buy in complete safety that you will have a wonderful experience, not just with Lilac but also the rest of the cast. You may however have to search secondhand/Ebay etc, not sure what is available retail at the moment. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sebastian said:

The late Beryl Grey. A clip of her Lilac Fairy has sometimes been on YouTube but gets taken down. However she can be seen in at least one of the “historic” complete RB Sleeping Beauty’s available on DVD.

Just check the cast list and buy in complete safety that you will have a wonderful experience, not just with Lilac but also the rest of the cast. You may however have to search secondhand/Ebay etc, not sure what is available retail at the moment. 

Just checked. The 1955 recording is currently available, with among others Margot Fonteyn, Michael Somes, Frederick Ashton (a wonderful Carabosse) and Beryl Grey.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FionaE said:

Marianela Nuñez conquers that solo

From her own Instagram (presumably with permission)

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAG2RpSHZFc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I think this is from the RB Sleeping Beauty DVD of Alina Cojocaru & Federico Bonelli.   Highly recommend! 

I think I’d prefer the tempo to be a little faster but Nunez is technically perfect to me!

I highly recommend this dvd anyway for Cojocaru’s Aurora - and you can spot many of the now principals as fairies or in the act 3 pieces. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JNC said:

I think I’d prefer the tempo to be a little faster. 

+1

(See past discussions here on the Royal Ballet conducting this work at speeds Tchaikovsky and Petipa would not recognise, which started coming in during the 1980s and is still not back to where it should be) 

• Like 2

On 18/03/2023 at 21:20, Geoff said:

+1

(See past discussions here on the Royal Ballet conducting this work at speeds Tchaikovsky and Petipa would not recognise, which started coming in during the 1980s and is still not back to where it should be) 

Is that because the stage is so much bigger now, Geoff?  :D

On 18/03/2023 at 20:12, JNC said:

I think I’d prefer the tempo to be a little faster but Nunez is technically perfect to me!

If I was to be super critical, I would say she was slightly out of time with the music on occasion because she put in too many pirouettes.  However, it is a polished performance of what is clearly a challenging piece of choreography for even the most accomplished of technicians.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Is that because the stage is so much bigger now, Geoff?  :D

For the avoidance of doubt, as lawyers like to say, Fonty’s remark is an in-joke. I better not spell it out in case my fingers run away with me and I write something I shouldn’t. But the report of this delightfully daffy explanation is on here somewhere… 

• Like 1