The Sleeping Beauty, Royal Ballet 2023

I’ve just googled Hayward and the Dream and there is a TikTok video of her rehearsing this with Sambe’ in costume. The sound quality isn’t very good but the dancing is wonderful from both of them. 
Please The Dream next year!!

Sorry back to Beauty which I’m looking forward to seeing next Saturday afternoon!!! 

• Like 2

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’ve just googled Hayward and the Dream and there is a TikTok video of her rehearsing this with Sambe’ in costume. The sound quality isn’t very good but the dancing is wonderful from both of them. 

Sorry back to Beauty which I’m looking forward to seeing next Saturday afternoon!!! 

Sorry one more...Insight about 55:00   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBBQLP0iMw8

21 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Is there a DVD of Hayward in the Dream then? 
At the moment we can’t watch DVD’s anyway as don’t have a DVD recorder since we’ve had  this “Smart” TV!! 
It was built into the Pioneer recorder of our last TV. 
Though coincidentally my partner said he’d literally just been researching today DVD players which might go with the computer ….so perhaps on the cards for the future! 

I have an Apple dvd player that plugs into my Mac Book. I use it all the time to watch my ballet DVDs. :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I'm going to the matinee on the 4th too. I am so excited!

• Like 2

Linnzi5….well he’s only just gone and bought one!!! We are all Apple too and luckily my partners computer has a large screen! I just have my phone and now outdated IPad lol! Though now thinking of finally getting a new one. 
However it looks like newer iPads don’t have a USB socket which you’d need for a DVD recorder. Guess we can fight over the computer when it arrives!!!  
Yes I’m looking forward to seeing Fumi and Bracewell as well. I’m standing for this one ..SCS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Linnzi5….well he’s only just gone and bought one!!! We are all Apple too and luckily my partners computer has a large screen! I just have my phone and now outdated IPad lol! Though now thinking of finally getting a new one. 
However it looks like newer iPads don’t have a USB socket which you’d need for a DVD recorder. Guess we can fight over the computer when it arrives!!!  
Yes I’m looking forward to seeing Fumi and Bracewell as well. I’m standing for this one ..SCS. 

I was always a Microsoft girl, but recently went Apple for my laptop - been an iPhone and iPad user for some years now. I love my Mac Book and I love watching my ballet DVDs on it. You will be fighting over the DVD player and good luck fighting over the computer - I think you will win! I have a newer iPad and mine doesn't have a USB socket.

I can't wait to see Fumi and Will!iam! Off topic, but did anyone see Anthony Dowell coaching William Bracewell in Daphis and Chloe , Daphnis's solo- it was recently posted on YouTube. I just love it!

Edit - I tried to share the link but the video seems to be here. Mods, please delete if this is not appropriate. Thank you!

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

I do hope so especially as I think Hayward would be perfect in this …though did not see her perform in the gala. Takada is another one I’d love to see in the Dream. 

Takada/McRae currently on the ROH streaming service

36 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm not sure she's actually danced it yet!  I was referring to your wish to see Takada.

If I’ve understood Alison’s question correctly....Hayward and Sambe were Titania and Oberon in the second cast of the triple bill of The Dream/Symphonic Variations/Marguerite and Armand in June 2017.  Akane Takada and Steven McRae were Titania and Oberon in the first cast (with Zenaida Yanowsky in her farewell performance) recorded for the cinema relay and DVD recording. Laura Morera and Alexander Campbell were the third Titania/Oberon pairing in The Dream. I went to see all three casts and they were all magnificent! 👏

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

Is there a DVD of Hayward in the Dream then? 
At the moment we can’t watch DVD’s anyway as don’t have a DVD recorder since we’ve had  this “Smart” TV!! 
It was built into the Pioneer recorder of our last TV. 
Though coincidentally my partner said he’d literally just been researching today DVD players which might go with the computer ….so perhaps on the cards for the future! 

Not a DVD of her performance on stage, unfortunately. Just the YouTube recording of the live-streamed  Insights/rehearsal event (presented by Alexander Campbell) with Collier coaching Hayward and Sambe. The Dream starts at 55minutes in, as they actually start with the third ballet rather than the first. 

PS some older laptops have a CD slot (for running CD-roms) and you can actually play DVDs on them. Unless you’ve upgraded your computers as well as the tv! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

If I’ve understood Alison’s question correctly....Hayward and Sambe were Titania and Oberon in the second cast of the triple bill of The Dream/Symphonic Variations/Marguerite and Armand in June 2017.  Akane Takada and Steven McRae were Titania and Oberon in the first cast (with Zenaida Yanowsky in her farewell performance) recorded for the cinema relay and DVD recording. Laura Morera and Alexander Campbell were the third Titania/Oberon pairing in The Dream. I went to see all three casts and they were all magnificent! 👏

Ah, thanks.  I have a feeling I ended up having to miss most of that run :(

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alison said:

Ah, thanks.  I have a feeling I ended up having to miss most of that run :(

Poor Alison- that was a great programme and all the performances in the three ballets (at least at the performances I went to) were excellent. Hope you can catch The Dream the next time it is programmed ....and hopefully that will be very soon! 

Any reviews from anyone who went to any of this weekend’s Sleeping Beautys ? Thanks to RobS for the great pictures! 👏

I thoroughly enjoyed 'Sleeping Beauty' at the Royal Opera House last night. This is what the Royal Ballet do best - lush, carefully rehearsed performances with dancers that are guaranteed to delight. And I was reminded all over again just how sparkling, original and appropriate is Tchaikovsky's beautiful score.

Frankie Hayward as Aurora was exquisite, as always (even if ever so slightly wobbly in the Rose Adage) and to me epitomises a young fairytale princess. She can jump soundlessly and pirouettes as delicately and rapidly as a dandelion seed blowing in the wind (but with more precision, of course!)

I did have my reservations about Alex Campbell's prince - he seemed ever so slightly portly (might have been the costume and his well-developed muscles) which made him less dazzling in the more demanding solo moments, although he and Frankie did the fish-dives beautifully I thought.

Annette Buvoli was a great lilac fairy. Gary Avis did make me chuckle as the hapless Cattalabutte - his comical expressions were hilarious -  and he richly deserved the bouquet someone had bought him at the end.  Even the orchestra played very few bum notes! What a lovely. lovely evening.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Any reviews from anyone who went to any of this weekend’s Sleeping Beautys ? 

I saw the Francesca/Alex cast on Saturday night. Francesca sparkled; she was so lovely, I think it’s a really great role for her. Alex was great, I thought he danced his solos beautifully. 

Loved Mendizabal’s Carabosse- first time seeing her in this role and I think it’s my favourite interpretation of Carabosse (in this production). It was really nice to see James Hay in Bluebird. I enjoyed Mica Bradbury as the white cat. Gary Avis as Cattalabutte was a lot of fun. 

However, some of the show was a bit of a mixed bag for me to be honest. When the prince and princess weren’t on it felt a bit flat to me. I really love all the choreography and music for the prologue but no-one really stood out and I don’t think the prologue fairies were the strongest. I didn’t think some of the prologue was that neat though I don’t want to nitpick. Overall I still enjoyed it; it’s just one of my absolute favourite ballets and it felt a bit of a slog in places which is sad but that’s just me and I’m happy to read the more positive review above!! 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, serenade said:

I saw the Francesca/Alex cast on Saturday night. Francesca sparkled; she was so lovely, I think it’s a really great role for her. Alex was great, I thought he danced his solos beautifully. 

Loved Mendizabal’s Carabosse- first time seeing her in this role and I think it’s my favourite interpretation of Carabosse (in this production). It was really nice to see James Hay in Bluebird. I enjoyed Mica Bradbury as the white cat. Gary Avis as Cattalabutte was a lot of fun. 

However, some of the show was a bit of a mixed bag for me to be honest. When the prince and princess weren’t on it felt a bit flat to me. I really love all the choreography and music for the prologue but no-one really stood out and I don’t think the prologue fairies were the strongest. I didn’t think some of the prologue was that neat though I don’t want to nitpick. Overall I still enjoyed it; it’s just one of my absolute favourite ballets and it felt a bit of a slog in places which is sad but that’s just me and I’m happy to read the more positive review above!! 

I have read a lot of reviews of Beauty this run and the prologue fairies regularly seem to disappoint, it appears. I am going to the Saturday matinee and am very interested to see what I think of them - I know the ballet very well and love it. However, I do agree with you and often find the prologue a bit of a slog - I feel the same about Nutcracker with the opening scenes at Clara's house - it seems to go on and on! I haven't seen Hayward in the role, but I can see she would make a lovely, young and vibrant Aurora. I am considering going to the cinema relay in May to see Naghdi/Ball as I have never seen them in these roles. I really enjoy the live relays. I will post my review of the matinee - I am looking forward to it so much and am praying I do not have any 'audience issues!'

Edited by Linnzi5
Typo
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

However, I do agree with you and often find the prologue a bit of a slog - I feel the same about Nutcracker with the opening scenes at Clara's house - it seems to go on and on! 

I never do usually but in this particular run I’ve found my mind drifting! 😂

hope you enjoy the matinee- it really is the luck of the draw re the audience. Everyone near me behaved perfectly on Saturday so it was a relief so fingers crossed for you.

yes I am also going to try and see the relay, I’m sure Yasmin/Ball will be great 😊 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I have read a lot of reviews of Beauty this run and the prologue fairies regularly seem to disappoint, it appears. I am going to the Saturday matinee and am very interested to see what I think of them - I know the ballet very well and love it. However, I do agree with you and often find the prologue a bit of a slog - I feel the same about Nutcracker with the opening scenes at Clara's house - it seems to go on and on! I haven't seen Hayward in the role, but I can see she would make a lovely, young and vibrant Aurora. I am considering going to the cinema relay in May to see Naghdi/Ball as I have never seen them in these roles. I really enjoy the live relays. I will post my review of the matinee - I am looking forward to it so much and am praying I do not have any 'audience issues!'

Hope you enjoy the Saturday matinee - I am going as well and was lucky enough to see Fumi and William B in the general rehearsal in January.

• Like 3

I'm recalling that, when I first saw the RB in Sleeping Beauty in 1989, some of the Prologue Fairies were danced by (what you might call "junior" Principals).  I don't think that's been done in years, but recent casting does seem to be heading in the opposite direction.  A perceptible imbalance in the orchestration in one (I think) of the solos probably didn't help, either.

• Like 4

I’ve taken advice from a number of Ballet Forum posters and booked a 3 night London trip given the engineering works which are making weekend rail travel a complete nightmare. Looking forward very much to Saturday’s double Sleeping Beauty (plus Woolf Works and Rusalka).

• Like 11

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

I’ve taken advice from a number of Ballet Forum posters and booked a 3 night London trip given the engineering works which are making weekend rail travel a complete nightmare. Looking forward very much to Saturday’s double Sleeping Beauty (plus Woolf Works and Rusalka).

Sleeping Beauty, Woolf Works, Rusalka  - that sounds like a dream holiday, JohnS! Have a great time, and let us know your thoughts about the shows! (Rusalka has also received great reviews from the critics). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Josette said:

I arrived in London from Los Angeles today for Woolf Works, the Saturday double show of Sleeping Beauty, Rusalka, and Barber of Seville.  I love this city so much and all that it has to offer! 

Packed, yes, but should be well worth it, Josette. Ballets aside, this is a splendidly performed Barber of Seville, and I am also looking forward to Rusalka this weekend which, as Emeralds says, has been particularly well reviewed this time round, in marked and welcome contrast to its previous ‘brothel’ incarnation. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Josette said:

I arrived in London from Los Angeles today for Woolf Works, the Saturday double show of Sleeping Beauty, Rusalka, and Barber of Seville.  I love this city so much and all that it has to offer! 

Welcome to a freezing London, Josette! But on the bright side (pun unintended), I noticed more sun today and yesterday so hopefully it will be bright and sunny despite the frosty cold.....perhaps you brought the California sun with you....in which case, thank you! 😊 I hope you enjoy everything! Barber of Seville had great reviews for this cast too. When was the last time you visited London? It is always fun to hear from someone else who travels that far for ballet plus one/two operas (I don’t do it at the moment, but great memories of visiting Lincoln Center in the past). 

• Like 1