The Sleeping Beauty, Royal Ballet 2023

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just back from seeing Anna-Rose O'Sullivan and Steven McRae. Anna was a treat to watch, so clean and precise in her dancing and she is a joyful character. Steven is a dancer I have always enjoyed and Annette Buvioli was an excellent Lilac Fairy, she conveyed a strong goodness. All in all a great evening.

• Like 8

Is anyone else going to tomorrow's performance alone? I'm wondering if I'm going to be the oly person awkwardly alone in a theatre full of couples! I don't usually go to the theatre on Valentine's Day because of that but couldn't resist getting a rush ticket for the one-off Magri/Ball.

35 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Is anyone else going to tomorrow's performance alone? I'm wondering if I'm going to be the oly person awkwardly alone in a theatre full of couples! I don't usually go to the theatre on Valentine's Day because of that but couldn't resist getting a rush ticket for the one-off Magri/Ball.

You will find that it’s no different from any other shows, Dawnstar.  Enjoy!  

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear Valentine's Day performances at the ROH don't differ from the usual ones. I do almost all my theatregoing alone & usually I'm absolutely fine with it but a few years ago I made a last-minute trip to a West End show on Valentine's Day, to see a previous cast member return to cover a role, & did find it awkward when I seemed to be the only person there alone.

Edited by Dawnstar

I’ve a couple of friends going tomorrow both alone and separately as it were and I would have been a third if I had booked this performance as originally intending to. 
Im meeting one of them at the ROH (before going off home) around 6.30pm. If you want someone to chat to for a while then send me a personal message tomorrow before the show! 

• Like 1

Enjoy the show I will have to leave about 7.15 anyway ….perhaps another time 🙂

I don’t think it will be too Valentinesy it is the half term week so maybe more children than usual ….well behaved ones of course!! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

May I ask if someone can explain what the mime gesture done by Carabosse of waving her hands to her mouth means? I think I understand all the rest of the mime but the meaning of that eludes me.

It could be “speak” as if pulling words out of her mouth, as in “Hear what I say,” as she begins the curse. When confronting the fairies it’s an irritated imitation of Songbird. I hope I’ve got the correct section / sections you mean…

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 5

Yes, the whole sequence is saying “listen to what I am going to say”. Lilac also makes the same mime when she says “listen to what I tell you, Aurora will sleep, not die.”

The gesture with the Songbird is Carabosse mimicking the flute that plays during her dance. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

It could be “speak” as if pulling words out of her mouth, as in “Hear what I say,” as she begins the curse. When confronting the fairies it’s an irritated imitation of Songbird. I hope I’ve got the correct section / sections you mean…

55 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes, the whole sequence is saying “listen to what I am going to say”. Lilac also makes the same mime when she says “listen to what I tell you, Aurora will sleep, not die.”

The gesture with the Songbird is Carabosse mimicking the flute that plays during her dance. 

Thank you both. It's the first gesture, the speak/listen one, that I was puzzled by. I did understand the Songbird mimicking one. (Though each time I see it I do wonder why she gives up after Songbird & Crystal Fountain & doesn't mimic all 5!)

1 minute ago, oncnp said:

This may be helpful

Ballet Mime Comedy - YouTube

Thanks. I'll have a look at that tomorrow, as I'm currently on the train home & I doubt the rest of the carriage will want to hear an explanation of ballet mime!

Just now, Dawnstar said:

Thank you both. It's the first gesture, the speak/listen one, that I was puzzled by. I did understand the Songbird mimicking one. (Though each time I see it I do wonder why she gives up after Songbird & Crystal Fountain & doesn't mimic all 5!)

Thanks. I'll have a look at that tomorrow, as I'm currently on the train home & I doubt the rest of the carriage will want to hear an explanation of ballet mime!

no talking - just music and mime

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

i think she guves up out of bad tempered exasperation…

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

I love the second photo!  ❤️

I just picked exactly the same moment for tweeting my (not as good as Rob's) curtain call photos. It was so sweet. It was also lovely when he kissed her hand when they were bowing at the end of the grand pdd.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

May I ask if someone can explain what the mime gesture done by Carabosse of waving her hands to her mouth means? I think I understand all the rest of the mime but the meaning of that eludes me.

I always thought it was 'saying a curse'  (or casting a wicked spell)

• Like 3