The Sleeping Beauty, Royal Ballet 2023

A wobble at the start of a début is only human and was soon forgotten. After that for me Mayara Magri danced beautifully and with increasing confidence. The shade of pink of her Act 1 costume unfortunately did nothing to complement her natural beauty. With the costume change, she literally shone and sparkled in Acts 2 & 3.

Cesar Corrales on his return to stage was on fire, lyrical in his slow movements, so fast, so fleet of foot in the final sequences but in no way wild or out of control. Pure magic. From where I was in the auditorium it both looked and sounded as though he has softened his landings.

Already looking forward to the 14th

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Simon Russell Beale performed the role of the Duchess rather than Queen of Hearts at the premiere, but if there’s an in-joke about the Duchess and Queen of Hearts/Mother of Alice from the forum way before I joined, could someone post the link or just explain what I missed? 😊

My mistake. 🙊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

The Rose Adagio is difficult enough without making it even more so (and holding the balances for too long - or trying to - messes around with the music, with the conductor having to spin it out endlessly). 

I think this aspect of the SB comes up every time it is performed, in the same way that Swan Lake always provokes conversations about 32 fouettes. :)  The balances are just a tiny part of the whole, and if the dancer doesn't feel confident on the night, then surely the answer is to not attempt them in the first place.  Time and again I have seen Aurora frowning and gritting her teeth and trying to get her balance.  It isn't nice to look at, and as you say it destroys the flow of the music.  Even worse when the arm is flung up as though Aurora is hailing a taxi, followed by a lunge for the next cavalier.  Is there really anything wrong with any dancer holding a beautiful attitude, supported by the man, if she feels a little insecure?  Personally, I would rather see that, accompanied by a radiant smile at her partner, than a tense, strained face as the dancer struggles with the wobbles.   I want to believe that Aurora is having a wonderful birthday and enjoying herself, not being put through some sort of test that she must pass in order to marry.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 18

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Which programme was that …certainly on ROH website Corrales has been listed for a few days now. 

The "red" programmes usually list the dancers for given performances.  I'm guessing they do short print runs to avoid too many leftovers that have to be pulped so Clarke may have been the Prince when that batch was printed.

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I think this aspect of the SB comes up every time it is performed, in the same way that Swan Lake always provokes conversations about 32 fouettes. :)  The balances are just a tiny part of the whole, and if the dancer doesn't feel confident on the night, then surely the answer is to not attempt them in the first place.  Time and again I have seen Aurora frowning and gritting her teeth and trying to get her balance.  It isn't nice to look at, and as you say it destroys the flow of the music.  Even worse when the arm is flung up as though Aurora is hailing a taxi, followed by a lunge for the next cavalier.  Is there really anything wrong with any dancer holding a beautiful attitude, supported by the man, if she feels a little insecure?  Personally, I would rather see that, accompanied by a radiant smile at her partner, than a tense, strained face as the dancer struggles with the wobbles.   I want to believe that Aurora is having a wonderful birthday and enjoying herself, not being put through some sort of test that she must pass in order to marry.  

I think the balances do have value, symbolising Aurora teetering (as it were) on the cusp of adulthood and trying herself out as she faces the tests and experiences to come; but they should be kept short unless the dancer is really confident of holding them longer. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

A wobble at the start of a début is only human and was soon forgotten. After that for me Mayara Magri danced beautifully and with increasing confidence. The shade of pink of her Act 1 costume unfortunately did nothing to complement her natural beauty. With the costume change, she literally shone and sparkled in Acts 2 & 3.

Cesar Corrales on his return to stage was on fire, lyrical in his slow movements, so fast, so fleet of foot in the final sequences but in no way wild or out of control. Pure magic. From where I was in the auditorium it both looked and sounded as though he has softened his landings.

Already looking forward to the 14th

I so agree, PeterS. It was such a shame about the wobbles but the audience in the amphi were particularly vocal in showing their support for Magri as the balances came to a close.
I do hope she was able to hear the whoops and applause; and, yes, the rest of her debut was just wonderful, as was Corrales, who is consolidating what, I think, proved something of a surprise last year when he showed that he could be every bit as outstanding in the classical canon as in virtuoso works. The refinement gained from his time at the RB allied to his natural dynamism is proving to be a sensational combination. 
Bridiem’s nod to another unhappy prince transfixed by a vision of a beautiful woman amused me, supported, I might add, by the fact that this was a noticeably ‘entitled’ prince. And one that did not need too much prompting from the Lilac Fairy on the matter of how to awaken the sleeping princess. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

The "red" programmes usually list the dancers for given performances.  I'm guessing they do short print runs to avoid too many leftovers that have to be pulped so Clarke may have been the Prince when that batch was printed.

as a random aside I flicked through this programme and there were no pictures of Nunez in it as Aurora? I thought odd as usually the programmes are good at showing all the principals cast. It also only has a tiny picture of Takada, none of Mayara (I partially like when we see the rehearsal photos for those debuting) but then a full page picture of Sarah Lamb who isn’t in this “run” (as the programme clearly appears to split the Winter and Spring as lists the dates/casting for the former not the latter).

Very odd. Also I know it’s minor but it didn’t appear to have any new essays or content. Programmes are an easy way to get revenue, I presume some would be willing to write a short critical essay for ROH for free, and so new pictures and essays are relatively low cost and could encourage regulars to buy programmes each time. Whereas if you reuse the same pictures and essays all but the most committed aren’t going to buy! 

This is all very minor I know in the grand scheme of things but I’ve always felt ROH programmes are well presented and good value for money with the content (photos/essays) compared to other theatre/west end productions so I hope they do keep on top of it. 

I think it’s particularly odd they’ve bothered to move towards listing principal casting but then not bothered to put in the suitable pictures! 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, JNC said:

as a random aside I flicked through this programme and there were no pictures of Nunez in it as Aurora? I thought odd as usually the programmes are good at showing all the principals cast. It also only has a tiny picture of Takada, none of Mayara (I partially like when we see the rehearsal photos for those debuting) but then a full page picture of Sarah Lamb who isn’t in this “run” (as the programme clearly appears to split the Winter and Spring as lists the dates/casting for the former not the latter).

Very odd. Also I know it’s minor but it didn’t appear to have any new essays or content. Programmes are an easy way to get revenue, I presume some would be willing to write a short critical essay for ROH for free, and so new pictures and essays are relatively low cost and could encourage regulars to buy programmes each time. Whereas if you reuse the same pictures and essays all but the most committed aren’t going to buy! 

This is all very minor I know in the grand scheme of things but I’ve always felt ROH programmes are well presented and good value for money with the content (photos/essays) compared to other theatre/west end productions so I hope they do keep on top of it. 

I think it’s particularly odd they’ve bothered to move towards listing principal casting but then not bothered to put in the suitable pictures! 

I noticed that on the night and thought it was a strange situation to not have one photo of the first cast Aurora, especially as there must be so many photos of her in the role kicking around. Seemed a bit of a big misstep. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nycitybird said:

Just wondering if Yuhui Choe has ever danced the Lilac Fairy? If not, I wonder why, as I can imagine she'd be perfect for it.

She’s been cast as several of the Prologue Fairies and as Princess Florine a lot, but from her biography and from past reviews I don’t remember her being cast as Lilac Fairy- she went on to dancing the title role, Aurora (with Ryoichi Hirano, then Matthew Golding, as her first two partners).

1 hour ago, JNC said:

Also I know it’s minor but it didn’t appear to have any new essays or content. Programmes are an easy way to get revenue, I presume some would be willing to write a short critical essay for ROH for free, and so new pictures and essays are relatively low cost and could encourage regulars to buy programmes each time. Whereas if you reuse the same pictures and essays all but the most committed aren’t going to buy! 

That's why I space out my purchases of programmes for their major productions.

Regarding Magris wobbles I’m sure she probably attempted the balances because she has done it successfully in rehearsals. Maybe the nerves got to her at the last minute during performance. It’s such an Iconic role to have on your shoulders even if you are ambitious. 
Ballet can be a bit strange like that though…..one day you can throw off two pirouettes no problems and the next day  you are completely not centred and can’t even do one properly!! 

• Like 7

Regarding Yuhui Choe as Lilac Fairy, would I be wrong in assuming they usually tend to pick taller dancers for the role? Maybe because it makes their presence more visible in the busy scenes, the power of the lilac fairy more visible? From her instagram it looks like Yuhui is fairly short, and most of the present lilac fairies (Buvoli, Storm-Jensen, Kaneko; Calvert maybe less so) and most of the past ones are on the taller side. Or am I just imagining this? Anyway I think she'd be lovely regardless

• Like 3

Yes, Lilac Fairies generally should be taller than their Auroras, and not too tiny compared to the rest of the fairies and the court, so that she looks like a convincing Fairy Godmother (ie authoritative, protective figure). Some ballerinas have danced both if they are medium height and can be taller than their Aurora but still shorter than their own Lilac Fairy, eg Marianela Nunez (who has been recorded on DVD in both roles - different shows), Olga Smirnova, Daria Klimentova, etc. Oddly enough, Nunez was once cast as Darcey Bussell’s Lilac Fairy, although I am quite sure Bussell is taller. 

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Regarding Magris wobbles I’m sure she probably attempted the balances because she has done it successfully in rehearsals. Maybe the nerves got to her at the last minute during performance. It’s such an Iconic role to have on your shoulders even if you are ambitious. 
Ballet can be a bit strange like that though…..one day you can throw off two pirouettes no problems and the next day  you are completely not centred and can’t even do one properly!!

I was quite surprised by Magri's glitch last night because usually she seems very reliable techincally. In SL last year she seemed fine with the fouettes where Hayward & O'Sullivan had issues yet in the last run of SB I saw both of them get through the Rose Adage without mishap. As well as possible off-days, I wonder whether different dancers find different moves harder/easier?

43 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Yes, Lilac Fairies generally should be taller than their Auroras, and not too tiny compared to the rest of the fairies and the court, so that she looks like a convincing Fairy Godmother (ie authoritative, protective figure). Some ballerinas have danced both if they are medium height and can be taller than their Aurora but still shorter than their own Lilac Fairy, eg Marianela Nunez (who has been recorded on DVD in both roles - different shows), Olga Smirnova, Daria Klimentova, etc. Oddly enough, Nunez was once cast as Darcey Bussell’s Lilac Fairy, although I am quite sure Bussell is taller. 

It's a pity Nunez doesn't still do the Lilac Fairy. Given the long split run of SBs this season it feels as though it should be possible for Principals to dance both roles. I'd also be interested to see Lamb or Naghdi in the role. I don't know if either of them have ever done it.

• Like 2

Nunez was a very wonderful Lilac Fairy (Alina Cojocaru was Aurora in that recording and it’s still available from the ROH shop and various retailers  online and on the high street) - and of course she had no technical problems at all with the solo or any of the choreography.  Nunez has said that Sleeping Beauty is one of her favourite ballets of all time and she has literally travelled the world guesting in the ballet- as far as Australian Ballet. 

I think Sarah Lamb would be great in the acting and technical aspects of the role but she is quite petite, so  might not be Monica Mason’s idea of how the role should look. Yasmine  Naghdi is quite petite too. As far as I can recall, both have never done it, but have danced Aurora’s Friends, Prologue fairies and Princess Florine (Lamb danced Florine in that recording where Nunez danced Lilac Fairy). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I think Sarah Lamb would be great in the acting and technical aspects of the role but she is quite petite, so  might not be Monica Mason’s idea of how the role should look. Yasmine  Naghdi is quite petite too.

Isn't Naghdi a similar height & build to Magri? I thought they were when seeing them in Mayerling together. So given Magri does the Lilac Fairy - I presume succesfully, though I haven't been able to see her in the role - I would have thought Naghdi could too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Isn't Naghdi a similar height & build to Magri? I thought they were when seeing them in Mayerling together. So given Magri does the Lilac Fairy - I presume succesfully, though I haven't been able to see her in the role - I would have thought Naghdi could too.

My impression has been that Naghdi is a bit shorter than Magri (though that may be imagination) and slighter in build. And yes, Magri is an excellent Lilac Fairy.

• Like 3

Heights and builds of dancers are always tricky to guess or quantify exactly! - I’ve seen numerous discussions speculating on heights. I think there are some ballerinas who are definitely petite (Hayward) and some who are definitely very tall (Zenaida Yanowsky). Between that there are some dancers who look tall but aren’t that tall, and some who look short but aren’t all that short. Magri looks tall next to Hayward and Takada, but next to Storm Jensen and Cowley, she looks small to me. And as she’s been partnered by partners who aren’t the tallest, I’d say she’s medium height. There are also dancers with long feet who look considerably taller when they go on pointe (Lamb is one of them).  Naghdi is actually quite petite- she looks tiny when partnered by Matthew Ball and Nicol Edmonds but more evenly matched in height when partnered by Marcelino Sambe (Don Quixote), James Hay (The Two Pigeons- a dreamily wonderful pairing; please revive it soon and pair them both up, Mr O’Hare) and Luca Acri (Dances at a Gathering).

I think Naghdi would be an excellent Lilac Fairy to Takada and Hayward’s Auroras- Naghdi used to be put in the “pure classicist” mould and never cast in the small acting parts. But one day she was cast as Lescaut’s Mistress, a role originated by a tall dancer (Monica Mason).....and her acting and command of each scene completely blew us away! You couldn’t take your eyes off her when she was on stage. So yes, I agree she would be a good LF too, given the right Aurora. I haven’t seen this run yet- waiting to see if ASLEF will prevent it! Otherwise it will be in May. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I think Naghdi would be an excellent Lilac Fairy to Takada and Hayward’s Auroras- Naghdi used to be put in the “pure classicist” mould and never cast in the small acting parts. But one day she was cast as Lescaut’s Mistress, a role originated by a tall dancer (Monica Mason).....and her acting and command of each scene completely blew us away! You couldn’t take your eyes off her when she was on stage.

I've not seen her as the Mistress, because of her being off injured for the last run of Manon. I wonder if she'll do it again in the next run, given she must be next in line to debut the title role.

• Like 1

I don't usually post curtain call photos when @Rob S has already posted his far better ones but I just want to pop a few on here from last night because at the end of the curtain calls I got into a conversation with the lady next to me about curtain call photos & I thought she might be interested in seeing how a few of mine turned out - the ones that did work out, that is! (I did check she reads this forum but didn't get her username so can't PM her.)

P1560243.jpg

P1560370.jpg

P1560377.jpg

P1560582.jpg

P1560623.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Heights and builds of dancers are always tricky to guess or quantify exactly! - I’ve seen numerous discussions speculating on heights. I think there are some ballerinas who are definitely petite (Hayward) and some who are definitely very tall (Zenaida Yanowsky). Between that there are some dancers who look tall but aren’t that tall, and some who look short but aren’t all that short. Magri looks tall next to Hayward and Takada, but next to Storm Jensen and Cowley, she looks small to me. And as she’s been partnered by partners who aren’t the tallest, I’d say she’s medium height. There are also dancers with long feet who look considerably taller when they go on pointe (Lamb is one of them).  Naghdi is actually quite petite- she looks tiny when partnered by Matthew Ball and Nicol Edmonds but more evenly matched in height when partnered by Marcelino Sambe (Don Quixote), James Hay (The Two Pigeons- a dreamily wonderful pairing; please revive it soon and pair them both up, Mr O’Hare) and Luca Acri (Dances at a Gathering).

I think Naghdi would be an excellent Lilac Fairy to Takada and Hayward’s Auroras- Naghdi used to be put in the “pure classicist” mould and never cast in the small acting parts. But one day she was cast as Lescaut’s Mistress, a role originated by a tall dancer (Monica Mason).....and her acting and command of each scene completely blew us away! You couldn’t take your eyes off her when she was on stage. So yes, I agree she would be a good LF too, given the right Aurora. I haven’t seen this run yet- waiting to see if ASLEF will prevent it! Otherwise it will be in May. 

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments regarding the Two Pigeons (esp with Hay and Naghdi). Its a shame the most recent run when it was paired with Asphodel Meadows wasn't filmed. Perfection.

Edited by MJW
  • Like 3

Weren’t they just! Marianela was as good as I’ve ever seen her - exquisite. As for Vadim - the audience began to applaud enthusiastically halfway through his Act 3 solo, starting at the barrel jumps and hit louder and louder until the end when it became a roar!!

More tomorrow - a great performance all round.

• Like 11

I'm a bit late but I saw the Magri/Corrales cast last night.  I agree mostly with what has already been said so won't repeat too much but Magri was a lovely Aurora.  Loved the entrance.  A real shame about the Rose Adagio issues, it was quite stressful so no idea how she must have felt.  She of course pulled it back and danced the rest of the show beautifully I thought.  Corrales I thought was very strong, loved the solo at the end.  I'm not really sure about their partnership together in this particular ballet (as in I didn't feel much connection) but it's a hard one to judge with it being the debut etc.

Sophie Allnatt and Yuhui were the standouts for me from the prologue fairies and I really liked Mariko Sasaki as one of Florestan's sisters.  Leticia Dias I thought was beautiful as Princess Florine...her arms were amazing.

I just love Sleeping Beauty overall, one of my absolute favourite ballets so it was great to kick off the new year with this as my first ballet.  Already looking forward to my next cast 😂

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Just incidentally, who was dancing the Wolf tonight? I didn’t manage to see a cast list. Whoever it was introduced some quirks into the performance that I’d never seen before that were very amusing and got lots of laughs from the audience!

David Donnelly

7 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Talking about perfection, how about Marianela and Vadim this evening!  Glorious 

Agreed..and as well as technical perfection they displayed every other kind: the performance was full of character...nobility..warmth..and joy. 

'Reasons to be cheerful part 3' , sometimes hard to find currently, must include watching these two at their peak and Marianela's smile. 

• Like 16

I don't understand why the Lilac Fairy should be taller than Aurora?   I agree that in aesthetic terms it looks better of the two ladies are not wildly different in height, but I see no reason why the LF shouldn't be a shorter dancer.  The dancer playing the LF should command the stage with her acting abilities, not her stature, surely?

• Like 6

10 hours ago, oncnp said:

David Donnelly

I bet he was great as the Wolf.  I liked him as the Mouse King in Nutcracker.  He seems to have a real gift for really bringing to life the more character based parts.  

Edited by Tango Dancer
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Mary said:

Agreed..and as well as technical perfection they displayed every other kind: the performance was full of character...nobility..warmth..and joy. 

'Reasons to be cheerful part 3' , sometimes hard to find currently, must include watching these two at their peak and Marianela's smile. 

I often think how incredibly blessed we are that they both chose to spend their careers over here and we get to enjoy their artistry, they really are remarkable.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I don't understand why the Lilac Fairy should be taller than Aurora?   I agree that in aesthetic terms it looks better of the two ladies are not wildly different in height, but I see no reason why the LF shouldn't be a shorter dancer.  The dancer playing the LF should command the stage with her acting abilities, not her stature, surely?

I too don’t really like these height “rules” but they’ve been around for over a century so examples include Monica Mason, Zenaida Yanowsky, Deborah Bull, etc not being cast as Aurora, although I don’t think they’d have done worse than some shorter dancers who have been cast. Likewise the shorter ballerinas don’t get cast as Lilac Fairy even though you might feel they could easily manage the technical and acting demands (eg we’re very unlikely to see Akane Takada, Meaghan Grace Hinkis or Francesca Hayward as LF). The unwritten rule also exists in other companies, although if you have a company that’s very tall to begin with eg Mariinsky Ballet, then everyone has a more equal chance. Likewise, Myrtha in Giselle generally also has to be a tall dancer to look imposing next to both Albrecht and Giselle- but she doesn’t have to be taller than Albrecht.

The LF also can’t look significantly  shorter than Carabosse as they are supposed to be equals in their powers and authority/status. Otherwise you could end up with a Thumbelina-versus-Goliath effect....probably not what Petipa intended! The original LF was actually a mime role like Carabosse is (still preserved in Peter Wright’s production for BRB, Dutch National Ballet, etc) and they still cast dancers who are not very short so that Carabosse and LF look similar in height and authority. 

Edited by Emeralds