The Sleeping Beauty, Royal Ballet 2023

The general rehearsal is tomorrow morning (Saturday 14th) and the run starts on Monday.

The cast sheet for tomorrow has now been released - I am very pleased that William Bracewell and Fumi Kaneko will be performing (lucky for those of us who will be going tomorrow and I am seeing them again later in the run).

https://static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/Sleeping+Beauty/Beauty_general-v5.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the rehearsal cast is the same as the cast that will do Kaneko & Bracewell's main performances? If so then I seem doomed to see no-one but Gina Storm-Jensen as the Lilac Fairy! I was really hoping to see others in the role in this run, after seeing her 2 out of 3 times live plus the cinecast in the last run, but it looks like I may be seeing her yet again. I do like her, I'd just rather have a bit more variety!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, emmarose said:

I saw that the first cast had rehearsed today and I also saw Fumi was dressed as the lilac fairy, so I'm hoping she may be seen on Monday. 

'Was hoping for Claire Calvert/Campbell but am sure Kaneko will be lovely.  I know @capybara mentioned it but wonder why Principals are dancing the Lilac Fairy?

4 minutes ago, oncnp said:

'Was hoping for Claire Calvert/Campbell but am sure Kaneko will be lovely.  I know @capybara mentioned it but wonder why Principals are dancing the Lilac Fairy?

Perhaps because it is a role with a notoriously tricky solo that also benefits from authority and experience. In the 1970’s it wouid have been unusual not to see a principal: Deanne Bergamo, Vergie Derman, Monica Mason and Marguerite Porter all spring immediately to mind.

• Like 13

Just now, Jamesrhblack said:

Perhaps because it is a role with a notoriously tricky solo that also benefits from authority and experience. In the 1970’s it wouid have been unusual not to see a principal: Deanne Bergamo, Vergie Derman, Monica Mason and Marguerite Porter all spring immediately to mind.

But more recently has been a First Soloist, has it not?

4 hours ago, MJW said:

The cast sheet for tomorrow has now been released - I am very pleased that William Bracewell and Fumi Kaneko will be performing

So am I, MJW, very happy indeed. The rest of the cast looks pretty good too. 

And like Dawnstar (below), I too seem doomed to see Gina Storm-Jensen’s Lilac Fairy on endless repeat. And, yes, it would be nice to see someone else just once in a while. Ah well …

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I seem doomed to see no-one but Gina Storm-Jensen as the Lilac Fairy! I was really hoping to see others in the role

• Like 5

Sae Maeda and Calvin Richardson look like a great combination for Bluebird. 
I don’t know whether they’ve danced the roles before but I’m pretty sure not together. 
Would love to know how that pairing goes today! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oncnp said:

But more recently has been a First Soloist, has it not?

But just because it can be danced by a first soloist, doesn't mean it has to be, and this kind of demanding role can be all the better for a principal to take it on.

Recently we saw Mayara take on the Rose Fairy in Nutcracker too, it's lovely to see their experience shine in these roles as well.

Cast for a great show, that's my opinion and Fumi is a great Lilac Fairy, it would be a shame to never see it again because she's a principal now. Same with Nela and Queen of the Willis, it makes for a well rounded out show. 

• Like 9

Totally agree that certain roles should remain in the repertoire of dancers promoted to principal - Myrtha, Lilac Fairy - and point out that Paris Opéra Ballet usually casts étoiles as Myrtha (Marie-Agnès Gillot a wonderful example).

Please note I am not saying these roles should be the exclusive domain of principals but that, if they've danced them as senior artists or first soloists or whatever the company calls the rank, they should be able to continue to dance them if they so desire.

• Like 2

Perhaps not so much just because they want to but more perhaps if they were particularly noted in the role. It’s good that the more senior dancers can still be seen in certain more demanding roles as mentioned above as an example or inspiration still to other younger dancers aspiring to/ debuting/ or newish to the role. 

• Like 2

I am not saying that lower ranked dancers cannot be good as the Lilac Fairy, I am sure there are some notable examples of those who have excelled in the role.  However, if it becomes  routine to cast such dancers, then perhaps the audience becomes more aware of how difficult it is to perform.  Nothing worse than sitting in the audience thinking, "Good heavens, that looks very tricky indeed" and applauding at the end with a sense of relief that the dancer has managed to get through it in one piece.  

• Like 7

I hope those at the rehearsal have a lovely time! I was unable to make it because of prior commitments, unfortunately. I am so happy you get to see Kaneko/Bracewell. Can’t wait to hear the general feeling about it! Enjoy! 

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

Totally agree that certain roles should remain in the repertoire of dancers promoted to principal - Myrtha, Lilac Fairy - and point out that Paris Opéra Ballet usually casts étoiles as Myrtha (Marie-Agnès Gillot a wonderful example).

Please note I am not saying these roles should be the exclusive domain of principals but that, if they've danced them as senior artists or first soloists or whatever the company calls the rank, they should be able to continue to dance them if they so desire.

Certain roles really benefit from having a principal in the role, take Myrtha, she has to have complete control of that stage and absolute authority, something that sits very easily with a principal dancer.

And these roles, Monica Mason is famous for them, these are not small roles, they're fitting for principal dancers as well as first soloists, whoever makes for the best casting (that should always come first, regardless of rank).

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

Nothing worse than sitting in the audience thinking, "Good heavens, that looks very tricky indeed" and applauding at the end with a sense of relief that the dancer has managed to get through it in one piece.  

I like knowing that it's difficult because it makes me respect and appreciate their talent even more!

But I agree that there shouldn't be anything risky about it - every dancer should feel confident in their role for safety reasons more than anything.

3 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I like knowing that it's difficult because it makes me respect and appreciate their talent even more!

But I agree that there shouldn't be anything risky about it - every dancer should feel confident in their role for safety reasons more than anything.

I know this it OT but one of the joys of Ashton is how complex and difficult his work is and how easy Ashton-style dancers can make it look.

I'd far rather see an assured Rose Adagio in Sleeping Beauty than worry that the dancer is not going to be able to cope with it!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

To be honest though, the talent lies in making the difficult look easy. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, emmarose said:

But just because it can be danced by a first soloist, doesn't mean it has to be, and this kind of demanding role can be all the better for a principal to take it on.

Recently we saw Mayara take on the Rose Fairy in Nutcracker too, it's lovely to see their experience shine in these roles as well.

I was very pleased to catch Magri as the Rose Fairy on the first night. I was hoping to get to see her as the Lilac Fairy this run but that's not looking likely if Storm-Jensen is doing it with the Kaneko/Bracewell cast. Given the only other SB I have booked in the first block is Magri's Aurora debut I clearly won't be seeing her as the Lilac Fairy then! I do wish they'd announce Lilac Fairies in advance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

Sae Maeda and Calvin Richardson look like a great combination for Bluebird. 
I don’t know whether they’ve danced the roles before but I’m pretty sure not together. 
Would love to know how that pairing goes today! 

I had an impression that Calvin Richardson was being seen as in the line of Edward Watson so it’s good to see him being given more formal challenges such as Nutcracker Prince and Bluebird.

• Like 6

I know we’re not supposed to comment on rehearsals but absolute Kudos to the company going full out today especially with the last of a long run of Nutcrackers this evening.

Although I admire its formal perfection The Sleeping Beauty doesn’t often move me with the exception of The Vision Scene Pas de Deux with the glorious ‘cello solo. I also think Ashton’s Act 2 Aurora solo (which I recently read was created on the late Dame Beryl Grey) is my favourite female solo in the canon.

That said (written?) I enjoyed this rehearsal very much: the company, including the orchestra, who had a long Magic Flute last night, seem in wonderful New Year form.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

That said (written?) I enjoyed this rehearsal very much: the company, including the orchestra, who had a long Magic Flute last night, seem in wonderful New Year form.

Ah, but is everything being played at the correct tempo? :)  The age old moan every time SB is performed.......

• Like 1