The Sleeping Beauty, Royal Ballet 2023

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Made it by skin of teeth this afternoon thanks to a very handy taxi right outside City Thameslink station! 
Didn’t get “breakfast”  until after the Rose adagio act so the last Act a bit hard going standing today but had a terrific view that little row 35-28 of standing is really well worth it. 
Great performances today from Fumi and Bracewell. What a marathon the role is for the female dancer but Fumi showed no sign of strain a sparkling radiance throughout and dazzling with her eyes.  At least her Prince could impress her with his dancing even if not the quickest in the brains department 🙄

I did prefer the production where the Prince got a bit more into tackling the forest and then Carabosse and not standing by watching the Lilac Fairy do it all for him! 
I think I do prefer Carabosse played by a male as a general rule as the energy coming across can be that much stronger and more menacing …..I’m sure I saw McNally play it last time and she was exceptionally good but I believe this is a new role for Grennell so I’m sure she will get stronger as didn’t feel that angry fire and nasty revenge from her today she seemed much too kind to resist the Lilac Fairy’s Goodness! 

I really liked Mariko Sasaki as Florine and loved Joshua Junkers take on the male cat ….often a role I don’t notice too much (sorry dancers it is nearly 3 hours by then). 
But Fumi was the bright star today and am looking forward to seeing her with Bracewell again in Cinderella in April. 
Just a note that I felt the orchestra needed a bit of pace at times not so much going for playing at the race of knots or anything…. but a bit more drive/firmness …difficult to express what I mean so lighter in texture as felt heavy in places. 

But all in all a great afternoon in the theatre and nice to have a chat with friends afterwards ( who now off to Coppelia for more ballet!! 
Back on a very slow crawling train to Brighton now but at least it’s warm!! 

Yes. I've booked to see the Kaneko/Bracewell Cinderella too and the Ferri Woolf Works cast with Bracewell in it too. To be fair though, he's a wonderful added bonus as I really want to see Ferri dance.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

Yes. I've booked to see the Kaneko/Bracewell Cinderella too and the Ferri Woolf Works cast with Bracewell in it too. To be fair though, he's a wonderful added bonus as I really want to see Ferri dance.

I think that the Ferri cast (WW not SB 😉) also includes Fumi.

• Like 5

Fumi was luminescent and utterly wonderful. Such confidence in the role now and seems to have all the time in the world to find the small beauty in every movement. Act II vision scene in particular sublime. 

Bracewell - oh, how he had become my favourite RB male principal in very short time! Sensitive and charming, with such assured technique and a genuinely boyish sense of excitement. I completely adore his partnership with Kaneko - I am booked to see them in Cinderella and I very much hope that partnership is nourished for the future.

Storm-Jensen was commanding in driving the narrative, but while greatly improved, still leaves something to be desired in her prologue variation. 

Sitting in the second row of the stalls, it was an interesting afternoon to observe the corps. She still only has minor roles, but time and time again Viola Pantuso catches my attention - she has that X factor. However Ashley Dean caught attention for the wrong reasons with loose execution and not quite matching the enthusiasm of her fellow fairies / the dependably sunny Anette Buvoli as Florestan’s other sister. 

Edited by MildConcern
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

Fumi was luminescent and utterly wonderful. Such confidence in the role now and seems to have all the time in the world to find the small beauty in every movement. Act II vision scene in particular sublime. 

Bracewell - oh, how he had become my favourite RB male principal in very short time! Sensitive and charming, with such assured technique and a genuinely boyish sense of excitement. I completely adore his partnership with Kaneko - I am booked to see them in Cinderella and I very much hope that partnership is nourished for the future.

Storm-Jensen was commanding in driving the narrative, but while greatly improved, still leaves something to be desired in her prologue variation. 

Sitting in the second row of the stalls, it was an interesting afternoon to observe the corps. She still only has minor roles, but time and time again Viola Pantuso catches my attention - she has that X factor. However Ashley Dean caught attention for the wrong reasons with loose execution and not quite matching the enthusiasm of her fellow fairies / the dependably sunny Anette Buvoli as Florestan’s other sister. 

Yes. I agree with all you say. Claire Calvert is one of my favourites as the Lilac Fairy.

Yes as Capybara says Fumi was in the cast on Wednesday when Ferri was dancing. In fact she was in such extraordinary positions at times that I was muttering under my breath oh please don’t injure yourself tonight because of the Beauty today!!! 
on Wednesday there was Naghdi Hayward o Sullivan Fumi and Magri all dancing at some point. 

Yes Pantuso always catches my eye too….twice today in different dances! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

Impressive that Choe, Buvoli and Acri all performed quite demanding dancing parts in Woolf Works the night before (and quite a late finish after the extended applause), and were back at Covent Garden bright and early to dance even more demanding roles (Fairy variations, Florestan pas de trois  and variations, Bluebird) at a 1pm matinee! I felt a bit guilty that I had a lie in just because my train was cancelled last night and I had to wait 30mins longer).

Also, I think Hannah Grennell could be one of the rare ones to have been Carabosse, christening Fairy, as well as one of Aurora’s friends all in the same run. It’s not uncommon to see dancers performing Fairy or friend and eventually to transitioning to Carabosse after several years, but to morph in and out of pointe roles to character role baddie in the same season, quite unusual. Then again, there have been Bluebird + Carabosse in the same show (Enrico Cecchetti, at the premiere), and Carabosse + Florimund (Robert Helpmann, this very company, 1946), which I find the most mind boggling. I assume in that production Carabosse never confronted Florimund, whether before the Awakening or elsewhere. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Carabosse + Florimund (Robert Helpmann, this very company, 1946), which I find the most mind boggling. I assume in that production Carabosse never confronted Florimund, whether before the Awakening or elsewhere. 

Given the current RB production is based on the 1946 one, I would be absolutely fascinated if they tried that doubling nowadays. Admittedly some of the Princes I can't imagine playing Carabosse but there are some that I think could pull it off.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Given the current RB production is based on the 1946 one, I would be absolutely fascinated if they tried that doubling nowadays. Admittedly some of the Princes I can't imagine playing Carabosse but there are some that I think could pull it off.

Might have to be a different person playing Carabosse in the mirror for the RB production! A lot of productions have Carabosse and Florimund almost fighting a duel before he gets to Aurora/the palace! - usually with the Lilac Fairy stepping in and “beating” Carabosse with some magic (a wave of her wand). I guess they were short of men to dance just after the war, and in those days, Carabosse was always portrayed by a man. It would be quite a hoot to have Carabosse played by a man again, but they would probably cast a different dancer to the Prince (although he could dance the prince at different performances). Thankfully, no shortage of dancers nowadays. 

17 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Matthew Ball makes for a particularly convincing villain.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Might have to be a different person playing Carabosse in the mirror for the RB production! A lot of productions have Carabosse and Florimund almost fighting a duel before he gets to Aurora/the palace! - usually with the Lilac Fairy stepping in and “beating” Carabosse with some magic (a wave of her wand). I guess they were short of men to dance just after the war, and in those days, Carabosse was always portrayed by a man. It would be quite a hoot to have Carabosse played by a man again, but they would probably cast a different dancer to the Prince (although he could dance the prince at different performances). Thankfully, no shortage of dancers nowadays. 

Given how little Carabosse is visible through the mirror I reckon they could get away with a double, a la Odette in Act III. I'd like it if they had Carabosse & Florimund fighting. At the moment frankly Florimund seems to have it pretty easy winning his Princess! I've never seen a male Carabosse live, only on video. From what I recall of Anthony Dowell's Carabosse, when the RB's previous production was televised in the 90s, the role was just mime so being played by a man didn't make much difference. However when Stuttgart's production was streamed during lockdown Jason Reilly's Carabosse had some proper choreography, including jumps, so having a man in the role was more significant.

2 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Matthew Ball makes for a particularly convincing villain.

Yes, he was the first dancer who came to my mind who I'd like to see doubling the roles.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

However when Stuttgart's production was streamed during lockdown Jason Reilly's Carabosse had some proper choreography, including jumps, so having a man in the role was more significant.

And I thought he was terrific! It was a much larger role, as I recall and IMHO it worked really well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, J_New said:

And I thought he was terrific! It was a much larger role, as I recall and IMHO it worked really well.

Yes, it was quite eye-opening compared to the RB's Carabosse. And while it would be impossible to double the roles, with the larger Carabosse role, I imagine Reilly would also have danced the Prince at other performances.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, it was quite eye-opening compared to the RB's Carabosse. And while it would be impossible to double the roles, with the larger Carabosse role, I imagine Reilly would also have danced the Prince at other performances.

Sadly, I missed Jason Reilly's Desiré, as he danced that role at a time when I didn't go to watch ballet that much, but he did indeed dance both roles (https://www.balletmasterclass.com/pages/faculty-2018/jason-reilly/).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a few issues with the Thameslink signalling problems yesterday morning on my way in and then I discovered that the ROH didn’t have any banana bread which is my go to reward for walking from the station. 🙁However, after some carrot cake the day further improved when Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell took to the stage. It was a wonderful performance, they complement each other so well and are getting better and better. I haven’t bought tickets for their Cinderella but may need to reconsider…

• Like 5

To pick up something MildConcern said above …Fumi having the time to bring out the Beauty of those smaller movements ….I particularly noticed as she took the rose from each Prince that little movement in retire’ from front to back of knee….somehow she drew attention to the joy of that tiny movement. Being able to communicate the sheer joy in aspects of the technique is a wonderful skill to have. This is more than just being able to dance it however perfectly that is. 

• Like 11

Fumi and Will were stunning yesterday. Beauty personified. I can’t wait for their Cinderella, and am praying to the ballet gods with every fibre of my being that they do Manon together next season. 🙏

• Like 12

What I enjoy when I watch Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell dance together is the connection they have. The little smiles, eye contact - those little extra touches that make me smile and honestly, give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I think that's quite unusual. Separately, they are wonderful artists, both technically and in their interpretation of the music and their ability to tell the story. They are both elegant dancers too. They complement each other so well and I really first saw this when they danced Romeo and Juliet together. I also saw this wonderful dynamic they have when dancing with each other in Nutcracker and now in Beauty. They are most definitely my favourite pairing now. That's not to say I don't enjoy other pairings too, I do, but they have taken that number one spot for me.

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

Fumi and Will were stunning yesterday. Beauty personified. I can’t wait for their Cinderella, and am praying to the ballet gods with every fibre of my being that they do Manon together next season. 🙏

I would absolutely love  it if they did Manon together! The bedroom PDD!!! I would probably buy tickets to all their performances. I would also end up in the divorce courts. Small price to pay! 😂😉

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 8

20 hours ago, JanetW said:

I would love to but yes, I couldn't see anyone in the interval...except a v quick hello to Sim..but thank you...it's lovely to know some of you are here ! Janet 🙂 

It was lovely to meet you, Janet.  Yesterday’s matinee was the perfect way for you to rekindle your ballet-going!  

Thanks for your kind words about the forum. X

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I would absolutely love  it if they did Manon together! The bedroom PDD!!! I would probably buy tickets to all their performances. I would also end up in the divorce courts. Small price to pay! 😂😉

Yes…I always say that I want someone (anyone!) to look at me the way Will looks at Fumi! 😍😍  So I could end up in the divorce courts too!  😂

• Like 8

Honestly Linnzi5 and Sim 😂😂😂

We really do need a laughing emoji on Balletco!! 
I presume you mean the sort of look Will is giving Fumi in Robs last piccie then Sim! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes…I always say that I want someone (anyone!) to look at me the way Will looks at Fumi! 😍😍  So I could end up in the divorce courts too!  😂

….. and this from the BCF member who’s only just been posting about her wedding anniversary??? 🤔

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sim said:

If only! 🤣

28 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Honestly Linnzi5 and Sim 😂😂😂

We really do need a laughing emoji on Balletco!! 
I presume you mean the sort of look Will is giving Fumi in Robs last piccie then Sim! 

We really do need one! Liking some posts just doesn't sum up how entertaining I find them!

• Like 2

I was at the performance last night.  So pleased to have seen Matthew Ball and Mayara Magri dance together in this ballet.  Mayara bounded onto the stage full of the joys of spring and being newly 16.  Her Rose Adagio was done with aplomb and so much more confidence than in her debut (not surprisingly).  In her debut performance I liked her Vision Scene best, and I think it was the same last night.  Being a real couple offstage, the two leads connected very well and there was a real depth to their interpretations.  Ball in particular changed completely from the melancholy, bored prince to the happy young man he should be.  That's what real love can do.  Although for me Magri doesn't have the fluid, natural and beautiful classicism of Kaneko and Naghdi, she brings other things to the role and there was much to enjoy here.  My only quibble is her hairstyle...not sure what is going on there but it really did nothing to enhance the illusion of her being 16.

Julia Roscoe was a lovely Lilac...commanding yet gentle, she gives a real sense of security and that all will be well.  She also made a good fist of that difficult variation.  She was an effective foil to Christina Arestis's seething Carabosse; both dancers are tall and have great stage presence.  Roscoe's beaming smile has always been a feature of this stage presence, right from when she was a little girl. It was what made me start noticing her back when she was in the corps.  I'm very pleased that she is now getting some meaty roles.  Long may it continue.  

A special mention for Amelia Townsend's Fairy of the Golden Vine; I thought she imbued it with lots of character.  

Regarding Hannah Grennell's Carabosse at yesterday's matinee, unlike others above I very much like her interpretation (I wrote about it after the first performance upthread).  Instead of the usual blatant anger, she displays more of a world weariness that manifests in anger, and the use of her eyes conveys this very well.  She is more sarcastic than seething, and I like seeing this different approach.  

• Like 9

You won’t be surprised if I agree with your review but I add that I’ve seen Amelia dance Golden Vine a couple of times and I really enjoyed her effervescent performance ..,

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Sim said:

My only quibble is her hairstyle...not sure what is going on there but it really did nothing to enhance the illusion of her being 16.

Indeed, Mayara reminds me of Queen Mary of Teck, but with a glorious smile. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sim said:

I was at the performance last night.  So pleased to have seen Matthew Ball and Mayara Magri dance together in this ballet.  Mayara bounded onto the stage full of the joys of spring and being newly 16.  Her Rose Adagio was done with aplomb and so much more confidence than in her debut (not surprisingly).  In her debut performance I liked her Vision Scene best, and I think it was the same last night.  Being a real couple offstage, the two leads connected very well and there was a real depth to their interpretations.  Ball in particular changed completely from the melancholy, bored prince to the happy young man he should be.  That's what real love can do.  Although for me Magri doesn't have the fluid, natural and beautiful classicism of Kaneko and Naghdi, she brings other things to the role and there was much to enjoy here.  My only quibble is her hairstyle...not sure what is going on there but it really did nothing to enhance the illusion of her being 16.

Julia Roscoe was a lovely Lilac...commanding yet gentle, she gives a real sense of security and that all will be well.  She also made a good fist of that difficult variation.  She was an effective foil to Christina Arestis's seething Carabosse; both dancers are tall and have great stage presence.  Roscoe's beaming smile has always been a feature of this stage presence, right from when she was a little girl. It was what made me start noticing her back when she was in the corps.  I'm very pleased that she is now getting some meaty roles.  Long may it continue.  

A special mention for Amelia Townsend's Fairy of the Golden Vine; I thought she imbued it with lots of character.  

Regarding Hannah Grennell's Carabosse at yesterday's matinee, unlike others above I very much like her interpretation (I wrote about it after the first performance upthread).  Instead of the usual blatant anger, she displays more of a world weariness that manifests in anger, and the use of her eyes conveys this very well.  She is more sarcastic than seething, and I like seeing this different approach.  

Glad you enjoyed this and so happy Magri coped much better with the challenging Rose Adage - I think if one thing doesn't go to plan it must be so tricky to regain confidence for the rest of it. I generally love Magri's dancing. I adored her in the Carousel excerpt with Ball - she was exceptional in that, I thought. I think she is a strong and confident dancer - I loved her Rose Fairy in Nutcracker. I can't disagree about Fumi Kaneko and Yasmine Naghdi - they have an elegance and classicism I love and rarely see. Then again, I am a huge Nunez fan. 

I also agree on the hairstyle. Magri is so pretty and youthful and the hairstyle is quite strange - not to my taste at all. 

I like to hear of a different opinion and take to mine on Grennell's Carabosse. I would agree she looked weary and sarcastic (and stunning in the costume). I still would have liked a little more confidence and sense of power in her entrance in the prologue - that walk from the carriage, for me, needed to be bolder. If all dancers performed things identically, then it would be a boring world, certainly. :) 

I cannot picture Townsend at the moment, so will watch out for her. 

I did wonder what it's like to watch a pairing who are real life partners, to see if the connection was deeper. I would love to have seen Ball and Magri dance Beauty to judge for myself, but love reading other posters' thoughts. 

• Like 3