The Sleeping Beauty, Royal Ballet 2023

17 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I did wonder what it's like to watch a pairing who are real life partners, to see if the connection was deeper. I would love to have seen Ball and Magri dance Beauty to judge for myself, but love reading other posters' thoughts. 

It would be interesting to survey audience members who didn't realise they were watching a real life couple to see if they thought it made a difference. I thought it did when I saw Magri & Ball last month but then I know they're a couple so it could partly be me projecting that knowledge onto how I saw the performance, if that makes sense.

• Like 3

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Fumi and Will were stunning yesterday. Beauty personified. I can’t wait for their Cinderella, and am praying to the ballet gods with every fibre of my being that they do Manon together next season. 🙏

I agree with every word Sim.

Individually they are consummate performers, but together they are the sublime partnership that finally fill the immense hole left by Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg. 

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, annamk said:

I agree with every word Sim.

Individually they are consummate performers, but together they are the sublime partnership that finally fill the immense hole left by Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg. 

Yes. I totally agree :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

Yes. I totally agree :) 

Wow, that is quite an accolade, but wholeheartedly agree. They feed off each other and appear to delight in the partnership experience. Over the years, I have always sought to see couples who have that intangible "it" when they dance together.  Will and Fumi's Romeo and Juliet was the most sublime I have ever seen and they have gone from strength to strength since then. It's interesting that all ballerinas appear to love dancing with Will, but that special spark appears to be with Fumi.  I'm not sure that being a couple in real life does make it any more special. I once heard a coach say that it could make it worse if they were having a bad day in rehearsal.    

• Like 10

It is interesting how partnerships develop. I’ve also loved Hayward/Bracewell and of course he was amazing with Lauren Cutbertson and Nunez seems to enjoy working with him too. He’s a natural partner but he and Fumi seem to share a musicality and intuitive response to the steps. I’m not sure it’s always ideal to partner real life partners. Casting can be months in advance and it can go horribly wrong in the interim! 

• Like 8

If I was a ballerina he would be my partner of choice too. He’s a very special dancer and always has a lovely naturalness and warmth about him whenever I’ve seen him interviewed or coached.  I haven’t had the chance to see him live yet, but I hope to rectify that soon.

• Like 3

I’d always understood that casting is led by the female principals in descending order of seniority. I.e - that the likes of Nunez, Lamb, Morera would be first to pick their male partners and then it goes down by year of promotion (and with the assumption that the men are consulted before casting is set)

It would be interesting to know if this is still the case. It would make sense in that Nunez/Muntagirov seem a lock, as does Osipova/Clarke. I’m just rather surprised that we get to enjoy Fumi and Bracewell - long may it continue - as they are a number of female principals ahead of her in seniority! And also why we don’t get more real life partner pairings if that is the method - for example Hayward and Corrales (though I think I saw them together once and think I much prefer her with Campbell and others)

Edited by MildConcern
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

I’d always understood that casting is led by the female principals in descending order of seniority. I.e - that the likes of Nunez, Lamb, Morera would be first to pick their male partners and then it goes down by year of promotion (and with the assumption that the men are consulted before casting is set)

It would be interesting to know if this is still the case. It would make sense in that Nunez/Muntagirov seem a lock, as does Osipova/Clarke. I’m just rather surprised that we get to enjoy Fumi and Bracewell - long may it continue - as they are a number of female principals ahead of her in seniority! And also why we don’t get more real life partner pairings if that is the method - for example Hayward and Corrales (though I think I saw them together once and think I much prefer her with Campbell and others)

I'm not so sure, I know Nunez said she's wanted to dance with Bracewell for a long time until recently when they paired up for the Grand Pas Classique. Obviously Nunez loves to dance with Vadim, but if she could choose, I would imagine she would have listed him for a ballet before now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I generally love Magri's dancing. I adored her in the Carousel excerpt with Ball - she was exceptional in that, I thought. I think she is a strong and confident dancer - I loved her Rose Fairy in Nutcracker. I can't disagree about Fumi Kaneko and Yasmine Naghdi - they have an elegance and classicism I love and rarely see. Then again, I am a huge Nunez fan.

For me, Magri is a gorgeous dancer, but also so wonderful at emoting through her dance and face, she's one of the best at the for me. 

• Like 3

Guest oncnp
13 minutes ago, emmarose said:

I'm not so sure, I know Nunez said she's wanted to dance with Bracewell for a long time until recently when they paired up for the Grand Pas Classique. Obviously Nunez loves to dance with Vadim, but if she could choose, I would imagine she would have listed him for a ballet before now.

Nunez and Bracewell have been gala partners for some time now, as have Kaneko and Muntagirov. 

4 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I did wonder what it's like to watch a pairing who are real life partners, to see if the connection was deeper. I would love to have seen Ball and Magri dance Beauty to judge for myself, but love reading other posters' thoughts. 

I was aware that they are a couple before seeing their performance on February 14th, so I'm not too sure if that coloured my perception. I did detect something particularly special in their wedding PDD/vision scene, as others have said. Their emotions did seem very realistic, such tenderness in Act 2, and smiling constantly during Act 3! I think they're a well-matched couple anyway - in terms of height, they both shine in contemporary works, so it would make sense if they were partnered more often.

I did see Ball partnering Cuthbertson and Naghdi in Romeo and Juliet last year, and I believed utterly in their portrayals of the characters though! A testament to their acting.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, emmarose said:

For me, Magri is a gorgeous dancer, but also so wonderful at emoting through her dance and face, she's one of the best at the for me. 

Yes indeed.  I loved her interpretation of Odette/Odile.  She was so heartbreakingly sorrowful as the white swan. It really moved me.  

• Like 3

I find real life/stage couplings something of a grey area. Quite apart from the risk that the real life relationship may hit a sticky patch, some couples may feel that committing emotionally on stage is too much of an intrusion into their private lives.
I have only seen Ball and Magri together in the Carousel pas de deux and they were wonderful together, whereas I feel that both Hayward and Corrales have more of an onstage rapport with other dancers.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

I find real life/stage couplings something of a grey area. Quite apart from the risk that the real life relationship may hit a sticky patch, some couples may feel that committing emotionally on stage is too much of an intrusion into their private lives.
I have only seen Ball and Magri together in the Carousel pas de deux and they were wonderful together, whereas I feel that both Hayward and Corrales have more of an onstage rapport with other dancers.  

I loved the Carousel PDD - I thought Ball/Magri were wonderful together, though it was Magri who was the standout for me in that - she was lovely. I have only seen Hayward/Corrales in the Act II PDD from Swan Lake and Morgen. I  thought they were great in the latter but was not moved in the former. I am sure they did Romeo and Juliet together and the reviews were overwhelmingly positive, but I could be mistaken. I saw Hayward and Bracewell in Swan Lake and thought they were lovely together, as were they in Dances at a Gathering and Romeo and Juliet Beyond Words. Hayward is also delightful with Campbell and Sambe. So, I would, from I have seen, agree with you. Nunez and Soares were also beautiful together, even after they split up and continued to dance together, in my opinion. I suppose it does depend on the couple. 

• Like 2

I saw Hayward and Corrales in Romeo and Juliet and it was one of those really stand out performances for me however I’m not sure if they were actually “together” then ….or were just about to be!! But something magical definitely marked the performance I saw!!! 

I think as you say it does depend on the dancers but personally I think it could be an added pressure continually dancing with your life partner!!
Obviously these RB dancers all know each other pretty well anyway  as some have gone through school together too so that must help with trust and familiarity to support good performances together without being actual partners as it were. 
I enjoy seeing dancers with different partners anyway. 
I remember a gala a couple of years back where Corrales danced with Osipova who both took it right to the edge …..so some heart in mouth stuff but truly exciting!!  
Some partnerships may work better in some Pieces than others too. 
The above pas de deux would not have worked so well if Corrales had danced it with Hayward ….very nearly almost the opposite to Osipova in style …..but the two of them together in Rhapsody….absolutely lovely. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, oncnp said:

Nunez and Bracewell have been gala partners for some time now, as have Kaneko and Muntagirov. 

Since last year, yes, but as yet still nothing at the ROH and obviously if she's wanted to partner him for years now and hadn't until last year, she obviously doesn't have control to just pick him. 

Watching Men at the Barre, they said that the ballerina can say who she wants to work with, but I believe within that there will still be decisions from the the top, things like box office success and who they want to see together too.

Edited by emmarose

I understood it that the casting was for the most part decided by the Director, but if a ballerina's scheduled partner was injured/needed to be replaced last minute, then the ballerina had a say in who she would prefer to step in as a replacement. Understandable given limited rehearsal time etc. 

• Like 1

A few disjointed observations.........

Let's not forget that ballerinas are universally generous in what they say about their partners on social media and elsewhere. Not 'pointing the finger' because the practice is fair enough and widespread but a lot of what 'emerges' is a form of publicity for an upcoming show or an individual performer.

Nunez and Bracewell are dancing R&J in Japan, as are Kaneko and Muntagirov.

Although she danced R&J with Steven McRae in Japan immediately following her promotion to Principal in 2016, Francesca Hayward is not noticeably one of his regular partners. As she seems to dance classical works with Campbell and neo classical with Corrales it would appear that preferences have been expressed.

And, on the subject of Mayara Magri's hair....... I hope it's not being too personal to note that, because her hairline is quite low, it helps 'the look' (especially for Aurora, Juliet etc.) if it is pulled back with youthful wisps on her forehead and around her face. 

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, capybara said:

A few disjointed observations.........

Let's not forget that ballerinas are universally generous in what they say about their partners on social media and elsewhere. Not 'pointing the finger' because the practice is fair enough and widespread but a lot of what 'emerges' is a form of publicity for an upcoming show or an individual performer.

Which makes it more interesting when a usually very effusive ballerina stops mentioning her usual partner at all while going full gush on everyone else (and yes that may be his request) 

Also, if one danseur is very popular, he can’t possibly partner 5 or 6 different ballerinas in one week 😂, so a bit of negotiation and compromise is sometimes required. Likewise one ballerina can’t possibly be the partner for many different danseurs (although in some previous seasons, Yasmine Naghdi and Akane Takada seem to have done just that to cover injuries)! It’s also really nice to see a new partnership work out well; it’s restrictive when A only dances with B, or C only dances with D. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Which makes it more interesting when a usually very effusive ballerina stops mentioning her usual partner at all while going full gush on everyone else (and yes that may be his request) 

Because she has just danced with the other one(s) (change is refreshing) and there is something new to say (which also helps maintain her social media profile).

It is easy to become over-cynical or read too much into what is posted on social media.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, capybara said:

Because she has just danced with the other one(s) (change is refreshing) and there is something new to say (which also helps maintain her social media profile).

It is easy to become over-cynical or read too much into what is posted on social media.

As you said, just a disjointed observation.....

4 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Also, if one danseur is very popular, he can’t possibly partner 5 or 6 different ballerinas in one week 😂, so a bit of negotiation and compromise is sometimes required. Likewise one ballerina can’t possibly be the partner for many different danseurs (although in some previous seasons, Yasmine Naghdi and Akane Takada seem to have done just that to cover injuries)! It’s also really nice to see a new partnership work out well; it’s restrictive when A only dances with B, or C only dances with D. 

Also, there is so much to gain from different partners, especially a younger dancer being partnered with a more experienced dancer. 

I love Anna Rose with Marci and them growing together, but to also have Anna Rose with McRae, he brings so much experience and steadiness, it can sometimes allow a ballerina to have a bit more freedom to know their partner knows a ballet like the back of their hand. Ferri said some interesting things on this in her recent interview, a more experienced dancer has so much to offer to help their partners grow.

• Like 5

I agree about seeing different dancers together as I think that everyone can bring something to the table.  However, I have always loved an established partnership as there is usually such a deep understanding and depth of feeling between them.  

I think the only times I never, ever wanted to see a couple split off and dance with others were when Alina Cojocaru/Johan Kobborg were dancing.  Their performances together always left me breathless, heartbroken, awestruck.  I will never, ever forget their Onegins, when by the end both they and much of the audience were in tears.  I'm getting goose bumps just writing this.  Being a couple offstage really, in this instance, added a depth of emotion between them that I have never seen before, and don't know if I will ever see again (some have come quite close, but...).  Not only the emotional side, but the physical risks they took together were thrilling.  They really had the whole package.  Whenever I had to see one of them with a different partner it just felt weird, such was the connection between them.  

However, theirs was a rare and, for me, once-in-a-generation partnership.  Nowadays I am very happy to have 'mix and match', to a point.  But I do hope that the Kaneko/Bracewell partnership continues to be nurtured, because it is very special.  Naghdi/Ball, Nunez/Muntagirov, O'Sullivan/Sambe, Hayward/Campbell are all partnerships that I enjoy watching.  I also love the Naghdi/Corrales partnership.  Looking back, I was always so sad that the one that was developing between Lauren Cuthbertson and Sergei Polunin was scuppered due to his sudden departure from the Royal Ballet.  I think they could have been amazing together.  

• Like 11

I suspect the Fonteyn/Nureyev partnership was one of those special ones too …like Cojocaru and Kobborg but unfortunately alas alack did not see much of the latter together for various reasons. 

I couldn’t see Marguerite and Armand for years because couldn’t see the wonderful memory of Fonteyn and Nureyev in this ballet ever being bettered. 
Have got over this now though. 

Coming back to Beauty I have fond memories of Fonteyn and Nureyev in this ballet too and they were the first two I saw in the roles ….though Fonteyn was nearing the end of her career at that point. 
It struck me that back then being in my 20’s I was so impressed with Beauty because I had just never heard all the music before! I think I only knew the famous waltz not even the Rose Adagio music and thought the vision scene music was just divine!! 
I immediately got a full copy of the score ( as I did later with Raymonda) and played it a lot. 
But hearing that music for the very first time and seeing the beautiful choreography for the very first time….no wonder made a lasting impression and now just hearing the opening overture to Beauty for a fraction can take me right back to 45 years or so ago and the excitement of the whole occasion back then (especially after queuing for 13 hours for one performance) 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

I saw Hayward and Corrales in Romeo and Juliet and it was one of those really stand out performances for me however I’m not sure if they were actually “together” then ….or were just about to be!! But something magical definitely marked the performance I saw!!! 

I saw that performance too and loved it overall but, being honest, I'd say that for me the magic came from the three amigos partnership of Corrales, Sambe and Hay, along with Matthew Ball's fabulous 'entitled public schoolboy Tybalt. I loved Hayward and Bracewell in Romeo and Juliet Beyond Words, ditto both of them in Dances at a Gathering and Swan Lake. Goodness, Bracewell will be very busy if he is to partner Kaneko, Hayward, Nunez and also, now, O'Sullivan on a regular basis.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

I saw that performance too and loved it overall but, being honest, I'd say that for me the magic came from the three amigos partnership of Corrales, Sambe and Hay, along with Matthew Ball's fabulous 'entitled public schoolboy Tybalt. I loved Hayward and Bracewell in Romeo and Juliet Beyond Words, ditto both of them in Dances at a Gathering and Swan Lake. Goodness, Bracewell will be very busy if he is to partner Kaneko, Hayward, Nunez and also, now, O'Sullivan on a regular basis.

In addition to all the wonderful partnerships being cultivated with William (and I too love them all especially Kaneko/Bracewell), I do hope room can sometimes be found for Akane on his long list.  They were outstandingly beautiful together in Swan Lake and also heart-warming in Coppelia. I would love to see them together again at some point.

• Like 7

To be honest, I'd watch William Bracewell partnered with anyone! I could watch him dance all day 🤣 There hasn't been any pairing with him that I haven't loved!  I do adore with him Fumi Kaneko especially, though. :) 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ElleC said:

In addition to all the wonderful partnerships being cultivated with William (and I too love them all especially Kaneko/Bracewell), I do hope room can sometimes be found for Akane on his long list.  They were outstandingly beautiful together in Swan Lake and also heart-warming in Coppelia. I would love to see them together again at some point.

I have not seen him with Akane, unfortunately. I would love to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, emmarose said:

Since last year, yes, but as yet still nothing at the ROH and obviously if she's wanted to partner him for years now and hadn't until last year, she obviously doesn't have control to just pick him. 

Watching Men at the Barre, they said that the ballerina can say who she wants to work with, but I believe within that there will still be decisions from the the top, things like box office success and who they want to see together too.

I believe that Nunez/Bracewell danced together properly for the first time last summer, in Japan - Grand Pas Classique (I am still so jealous as I really wanted to see them perform that!). I only know that because they said that in an interview to promote the Japan tour. I remember Nunez saying she'd wanted to dance with Bracewell for some time. So, their partnership is very recent. I can't imagine how tricky casting must be. I don't envy Kevin O'Hare. 

I surmised that Bracewell recently filled in for an absent Muntagirov in the recent Ballet Icons gala, as in the promotional materials Bracewell was not listed and Muntagirov was, with the latter cancelling his appearance. Bracewell also covered Sambe, who was due to dance with Hayward. I'd have  loved to have seen both couples dance at that gala. I did look at tickets but couldn't justify spending that much :( 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 2