United Ukrainian Ballet Giselle by Alexei Ratmansky- Netherlands tour various venues, August 2022 and London Coliseum season 13-17 September 2022

The remarkable United Ukrainian Ballet, established with support from local government and several sponsors  in The Hague, Netherlands, by former Het Nationale Ballet star ballerina Igone de Jongh with artistic support from Alexei Ratmansky, Jiri Kylian, Vladimir Malakhov and other artists, providing accommodation and a company for refugee Ukrainian ballet dancers and Ukrainian diaspora dancers following the invasion by Russia and ensuing war, gave their first ever performance on Friday the 13th of August (hopefully an auspicious day for these artists and their performances! ) to a packed auditorium  in the Castellum Theater in Alphen aan den Rijn, a small theatre in the Netherlands.

Starting this thread for any members who travelled there or who live near enough to attend, or who will be attending in other venues eg Amsterdam, on their Dutch tour, and also for those of us who are due to see them at the Coliseum. Unfortunately I couldn’t be there myself, but friends of friends who were able to attend reported a moving and attractive production with excellent performances, and a curtain call with the Ukrainian national anthem sung by the whole troupe moved the audience to tears. Katja Khaniukova, the Ukrainian first soloist of English National Ballet, who has previously danced Giselle as a guest artist in Kyiv, danced Giselle at the premiere although I didn’t manage to get other casting details.

Alexei Ratmansky’s Facebook and Instagram accounts, the company’s Ukrainian Giselle social media accounts, have some attractive short clips and photos (too many to squeeze  onto this post) from the dress rehearsal and the first night, where the company look wonderful in their costumes and in front of the lovely sets- I believe these are the same ones (not totally certain without a printed programme to confirm!)  designed by Hayden Griffin on loan from BIrmingham Royal Ballet that they are due to use in London. If you have attended or are due to, do post your reviews and thoughts. Looks amazing, and lovely to see messages of congratulations and good wishes from various ballet legends from Amsterdam, New York, etc etc among the posts. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I watch on Youtube Ratmansky and some of the Ukranian dancers talking about his version to be danced at the Coliseum. Very interesting, and helpful if going to see it, as I am. Explains some of the departures from the usual versions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jonac said:

Well done Jan. Unfortunately my IT skills are so limited I've no idea how to create a link.

It's easier on a laptop than a phone (although I actually did that off my phone).

Go to the address bar at the top of the link you want to post.  Right click and choose the option to copy.  Go to the thread you want to post the link into.  Right click and choose paste.

The links don't always embed the way the one above has (I have no idea why) but that doesn't matter because readers can just click on the link displayed and the link will open.

• Thanks 1

• alison unlocked this topic

Unlocking this as the first night is tonight.  Tickets appear still to be available from £10 for all performances, and if you look carefully you may find some very good bargains.

Please bear in mind that profits will go to the DEC Ukraine Appeal and The United Ukrainian Ballet Foundation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alison said:

Unlocking this as the first night is tonight.  Tickets appear still to be available from £10 for all performances, and if you look carefully you may find some very good bargains.

Please bear in mind that profits will go to the DEC Ukraine Appeal and The United Ukrainian Ballet Foundation.

Found some  £10 seats in the Upper Circle with great views for Thursday matinee! Kids under 17 get to go at half price- £5 ! (booking fees £2 per person I think). Incredibly brilliant prices! (They look like 1952 prices!- not that I was around in 1952).

Am looking forward to the show, including the grassy knoll inspired by the designs from Ashton’s The Dream, as mentioned in Alexei Ratmansky’s interview with Graham Watts! And the restoration of the traditional choreography from the archived notation. Got the tissues ready! And it sounds like we’re having two national anthems - U.K. one before the show (definitely) in honour of the late Queen Elizabeth and Ukrainian one after curtain calls (very likely). 

• Like 3

What a fantastic evening. A very high standard of dancing and acting all round in particular from the principal dancers. The production was beautiful; familiar but with different touches. The Ukrainian national anthem was played at the end,  the audience on its feet, the dancers and Ratmansky wrapped in their national flag singing their hearts out. A very sobering reminder of all they’ve lost. These performances deserve as much support as we can give.  

• Like 10

The evening finished just after 10 pm, allowing for a speech from the (?)Chairman of English National Opera, the ENO chorus performing Britten's version of the national anthem, a perhaps longer interval than intended and the Ukrainian national anthem at the end.  Depending on what of that is repeated, it may be earlier for subsequent performances, but my guess is that 2 hours plus interval might be more accurate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, annamk said:

What a fantastic evening. A very high standard of dancing and acting all round in particular from the principal dancers. The production was beautiful; familiar but with different touches. The Ukrainian national anthem was played at the end,  the audience on its feet, the dancers and Ratmansky wrapped in their national flag singing their hearts out. A very sobering reminder of all they’ve lost. These performances deserve as much support as we can give.  

Completely agree. A beautiful production, impressively danced and hugely enjoyable.

Ukrainian flags and anthem at the end extremely moving, and all the more poignant given the other anthem beautifully sung this evening: God Save the King, marking the smooth and peaceful transition to a new head of state in this country, whilst Ukraine is fighting for its very survival. 

Less impressive was the ?chairman of ENO, who mangled the names of all the dancers he mentioned and appeared to think that Giselle is pronounced with a hard G. I know (or rather assume) that he's an opera person, but really.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, annamk said:

6 hours ago, bridiem said:

Completely agree. A beautiful production, impressively danced and hugely enjoyable.

Ukrainian flags and anthem at the end extremely moving, and all the more poignant given the other anthem beautifully sung this evening: God Save the King, marking the smooth and peaceful transition to a new head of state in this country, whilst Ukraine is fighting for its very survival. 

Less impressive was the ?chairman of ENO, who mangled the names of all the dancers he mentioned and appeared to think that Giselle is pronounced with a hard G. I know (or rather assume) that he's an opera person, but really.

I totally agree. I was particularly impressed by Christine Shevchenko's Giselle: an unforced, engaging interpretation, light as air and totally convincing, hers was unquestionably a redeeming Giselle offering hope rather than sorrow - a message that we can only pray translates to the future of Ukraine itself.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, alison said:

The evening finished just after 10 pm, allowing for a speech from the (?)Chairman of English National Opera, the ENO chorus performing Britten's version of the national anthem, a perhaps longer interval than intended and the Ukrainian national anthem at the end.  Depending on what of that is repeated, it may be earlier for subsequent performances, but my guess is that 2 hours plus interval might be more accurate.

I've just had my "your visit" email and it's still saying two hours including interval - I'd be grateful for running time information from those going tonight and following.

• Thanks 1

It was a post-10pm finish last night.  I suppose it will depend on whether they have speech/ENO Chorus every night.  

As others have said, a very moving evening.  And fascinating to see a Ratmansky version of the ballet - including what I think (I'm sure the experts here will know better!) is the "fugue" reintroduced into Act 2.

The principals were clean and charming, the technical standard of dancing otherwise was understandably a bit uneven (given that this is a group of dancers from different schools and companies) but Ratmansky (or somebody) has very cleverly staged a version to show the group to their best possible advantage.  A really laudable endeavour! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

I've just had my "your visit" email and it's still saying two hours including interval - I'd be grateful for running time information from those going tonight and following.

I understand that that the UK National Anthem will be played every night throughout the period of National Mourning (i.e. all this week). It is very moving. As is the Ukrainian National Anthem at the end. 

• Like 3

Practicalities:

1) Travelling there today till end of run- the entrance to Trafalgar Square from the  Strand was already closed off last night in readiness for this afternoon’s procession (the opposite side was open) and judging from travel updates on the news and reports of numbers queueing overnight in Edinburgh, road closures are likely to stay till end of the week, so driving to the theatre from Victoria or Westminster is probably not advisable, although you could come from the north side. Some bus routes have been diverted, and some stations may be closed eg Green Park is exit only. 

The best route is still via train or tube to Charing Cross (which is right opposite the theatre)-for trains you can connect via London Bridge or Waterloo East (short walk indoors from Waterloo) or via Thameslink then London Bridge if you’re coming from the north. Check travel updates and the TFL, Network Rail and motoring apps regularly before you set off (and during your trip if it’s  a very long distance).  I’ll be doing this to see subsequent casts! 

Patrons going today till Saturday are advised by TFL and Network Rail that public transport may take longer than usual depending on which route you’re using, if it connects to Westminster, Green Park, etc stations near Westminster Hall or Buckingham Palace. 

There is scaffolding over the theatre and roadworks on St Martins Lane but the front doors are all in use, and the queues move quickly- the staff were very efficient.

2) The London Coliseum management have said the UK National Anthem will be played before every show as a mark of respect to the late Queen.

The anthem took about 2 min 45 seconds - a beautiful arrangement by Britten sung magnificently with SATB harmony and all, like an extra concert item, by 20 members of the ENO Chorus. Very beautiful, loving and respectful tribute. The  UK National Anthem was conducted by one of ENO’s conductors (poor man- uncredited!) and the rest of it by the scheduled conductor, Viktor Oliynyk. 

It is very likely that the Ukrainian National Anthem will be sung after every performance by the dancers too (a very moving performance), although you can get out during curtain down before it starts if you are quick. (The stage manager did try to finish efficiently instead of lingering over curtain calls a la ROH, so much so that the orchestra nearly didn’t get their acknowledgement, and Alexei Ratmansky had to run forward to stop the curtain coming down completely! The house lights did come on very fast, ENB style!) 

On opening night last night they finished at 10.06pm but that included a substantial (though not overly long) speech paying tribute to Her Majesty by the Coliseum and ENO chairman, complete with lectern! As with most first nights, they didn’t start right on time but without VIP guests and with technical issues resolved on subsequent nights, start times are likely to be more punctual subsequently. The ballet itself has the music played at a more brisk tempo than most modern versions, which may be why the running time of the ballet itself has been listed only 2h (minus national anthems!) It’s also possible that a shorter version of the U.K. anthem will be played, without the ENO Chorus at some/all subsequent shows.

I’d say subsequent shows are likely to finish (if there are no unforeseen incidents) after the singing, around 9.45pm to 9.55pm, and 2.45pm to 2.55pm for matinees. The key thing will be to give yourself plenty of extra time to travel to and arrive at the theatre, especially if you have to cross central London. Last night, public transport was at the usual running times with no delays for us, but Wed to Sat night will be different as the procession and lying in state starts today. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Those  who can’t go tonight due to Covid or other reasons may want to try contacting the box office website using their chat facility if they haven’t gotten a resale yet- if there are many empty seats in a particular section later on, the box office staff may do a ticket exchange out of goodwill- don’t leave it too late though. 

Shevchenko and Cojocaru are both incredible in the role of Giselle and well worth the trouble to see, as they don’t perform in London often. I haven’t seen Khaniukova or Gogidze as Giselle yet, but if Khaniukova’s other performances last season and Gogidze’s performance as Myrtha (a challenging role to make an impact in just one act) are anything to go by, they will be excellent Giselles too. 

• Like 4

Re: casting, there was no published reason last night as to why Khaniukova and Olshanskyi had been replaced by Shevchenko and Tutunique last night, although the Coli & ENO chairman hinted that it was because Katja was unable to dance [I presume he means illness/injury/other emergency?- hence they swapped the couples rather than trying to get Shevchenko and Olshanskyi to rehearse at the last minute.] I haven’t done the social media rounds so I don’t know if the dancers themselves have said anything.

The Coliseum now have these lit boards like the ones at the Amphitheatre level and ground floor at ROH with the casting- except that the Coli ones alternate with posters/advertising  so there was a bit of bemusement last night as several of us stood there waiting for the cast list to come back, phones at the ready to photograph it before it disappeared once more!

There were a small number of printed cast lists available on the ground floor only, but it was too crowded to hang around to get one. There were none on other levels and it’s not immediately obvious that the boards have casting if you wait for several pages to turn over, hence some audience members didn’t know.

(The house was pretty full, with about 93-96% seats taken as far as I could see. Quite a lot of newcomers and attendees who don’t usually go among my tier, so it’s good that the art form and the Ukrainian dancers are reaching a wider audience than just veteran ballet fans alone. It’s a great production to introduce newcomers and children to ballet- it never drags.)

I assume that if Katja Khaniukova is well/available by Thursday night, Shevchenko will go on as Myrtha then, as Gogidze would generally not be asked to dance Giselle followed by Myrtha. (Elizaveta Gogidze wasn’t actually on any original cast for Myrtha, and she was magnificent! One of the best Myrthas I’ve seen in the last 6 years, along with BRB’s Samara Downs and RB’s Marianela Nunez and Tierney Heap.) They do also have Vladislava Kovalenko in the other cast to dance Myrtha, so there could be a bit of leeway for switching around to cover illness/injury/absence.

Best wishes to Katja and if she is unwell/injured, wishing her a speedy recovery. 

Christine Shevchenko was a wonderful Giselle so I wouldn’t mind seeing her and Tiutiunnyik twice, but would love to be able to see her Myrtha, with  Khaniukova as Giselle, and Olshanskyi as Albrecht. 

• Like 2

Regarding Katja not performing on opening night … I saw a moving tribute on her Instagram to Oleksander Shapoval RIP who she obviously knew well.  I think reports of his death reached the dancers only a day before the premiere.  I’m guessing this is the reason for her not being able to perform.  

Another reminder about the purpose of these shows.  

• Like 5

I didn't really feel like going tonight so have changed the seat for Alina Cojocaru on Friday by telephone, there should be slightly less travel problems in London itself, at least the 11 bus should be running, though not the over crowded trains to and from London. Glad Giselle had a successful first night, it sounds lovely and I want to hear the Ukrainian anthem at the end!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

There were a small number of printed cast lists available on the ground floor only, but it was too crowded to hang around to get one. There were none on other levels and it’s not immediately obvious that the boards have casting if you wait for several pages to turn over, hence some audience members didn’t know.

I was in the Upper Circle and asked for one, which was produced from under the table. So may be worth asking even if they're not being offered.

• Like 2

@Sim I agree Leicester Square is much closer if you’re coming by tube (I find trying to exit Charing Cross tube is a warren of passages that seem to have you walking for ages!). 

I hope London doesn’t get too crowded…

If anyone does have any more reviews for Shevchenko please do comment - I’m booked to see Alina (very excited) but on the fence about trying to pick up an extra ticket for Saturday evening. 

I might wait until I see Friday evening’s performance to see how I like the overall production and decide. But I would also be swayed if there are any more last minute deals which I don’t think have appeared for Saturday yet so grateful if people could share if they see any! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JNC said:

If anyone does have any more reviews for Shevchenko please do comment - I’m booked to see Alina (very excited) but on the fence about trying to pick up an extra ticket for Saturday evening. 

I thought Shevchenko was utterly delightful, I would urge you to see her, I am sure you will not be disappointed.  I will go again. Have a look at Alastair Macaulay's Instagram comments about her, I agree with every word but can't put it anywhere near as eloquently as he does. https://www.instagram.com/p/Cidwi_1o0Kt/?hl=en 

This charming and more historical production has much more detailed mime than I am used to seeing, a notably quicker tempi and Ratmansky's trademark fast footwork. It reminded me yet again how much more athletic ballet has become - neither a bad nor good thing really just different. The order of much of the dancing in Act 1 is quite different from what we are used to seeing here - another reason why I'm looking forward to seeing it again. 

I was particularly moved by the mad scene, it seemed to me less histrionic in style than it is typically performed today.

• Like 10