Royal Ballet Autumn 2022 casting details

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/05/2022 at 12:42, The Sitter In said:

That Clarke can celebrate his promotion by acquiring the role of Bay Middleton is also a bit of an insult to be honest.  

I agree with this. Surely that character role (which would be a thrill for a corps member) is a waste of principal talent. And am also dismayed by the lack of Alex Campbell. Hoping they both get a chance to shine in the new Crystal Pite.

Leads me to ask the experts here if principal dancers have any say in what roles they do? I always assumed that rank had its privileges, but I don't know how companies like the RB are run. 

• Like 3

Also lukewarm about Mayerling casting here.

Of the existing Rudolfs … I’ve seen Ryo (live) and Steven (DVD).  I would be delighted to see Matthew Ball again, as I saw his excellent debut … which as you may remember was at short notice to cover for injury.  I’m sure his role development now would be fabulous.

I cannot initially see either Vadim or Marci in this monstrous role (in all senses), but might go to see what Marci can do with it. 

What has Corrales done to not get cast in Mayerling?  hmm maybe his partnering skills is a problem … considering this ballet has many, many, very difficult pas de deux.  

I cannot see Clarke being able to cope with this dramatic role at this stage.

Personally, I would have liked to see any of Campbell, Bracewell or even Richardson given a chance.  The latter has a darkness about him that would be very interesting. 

• Like 4

That Clarke can celebrate his promotion by acquiring the role of Bay Middleton is also a bit of an insult to be honest. 

I see it as unlucky timing.  If you were a new female principal and the next ballet was R&J and you were not cast as Juliet, there would be no role for you in that run.  C’est last vie.  Hopefully for Reece, he is cast in all the other ballets.  He has had plenty of principal roles in the last 3 or more years.  There will be others.  

• Like 5

Reece has Diamonds, which other dancers would kill for.

• Like 6

While the harlots don't exist in Shakespeare's R&J, they get to do quite a lot of dancing in the ballet.

Idk if a principal dancer has ever done Rosaline in the past, but if so that would be closer to the Bay Middleton role, if we want to compare different ballets.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Idk if a principal dancer has ever done Rosaline in the past, but if so that would be closer to the Bay Middleton role, if we want to compare different ballets.

There is a pas de deux between the Empress and Bay MIddleton, although it isn't always included.

5 hours ago, FionaE said:

I see it as unlucky timing.  If you were a new female principal and the next ballet was R&J and you were not cast as Juliet, there would be no role for you in that run. 

I assume the promotions must have been on the cards for some time, though - I don't imagine Kevin decided on the spur of the moment last week to make them.  So I would have thought he would have factored his soon-to-be-principals into the casting equation, particularly on learning that he was unexpectedly going to lose Bonelli to the role.

39 minutes ago, alison said:

I assume the promotions must have been on the cards for some time, though - I don't imagine Kevin decided on the spur of the moment last week to make them.  So I would have thought he would have factored his soon-to-be-principals into the casting equation, particularly on learning that he was unexpectedly going to lose Bonelli to the role.

Yes of course those promotions were on the cards for the last two years (or longer) but that is not related to the fact that Mayerling was likely to be the next MacMillan ballet (by rotation) and as we see neither of the new male principals have been cast in the lead role.    

And I very much doubt that Bonelli’s leaving was unexpected … given his age, and that KoH had been supporting Federico’s development in that direction, and that KoH is also on the Northern Ballet board !!!

Edited by FionaE

On 28/05/2022 at 16:56, Dawnstar said:

the ROH performance database now looks to have got up to 2019!

Thanks for pointing this out Dawnstar. Although the search facility seems rather haphazard  at present, it is good to know someone is updating this valuable database. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Thanks for pointing this out Dawnstar. Although the search facility seems rather haphazard  at present, it is good to know someone is updating this valuable database. 

The description of what is online doesn't seem to have been updated: https://rohcollections.org.uk/Performances.aspx so I wonder what is actually online now. It's good if more recent performances have been added, but older ones are (to me) of even more interest (since my own record of more recent performances is better!). The database is not in fact infallible - I knew of an error some years ago that I brought to their attention, but because it didn't tally with their internal records they didn't make the amendment which is very frustrating. (I wouldn't have expected them to believe me over their records, but there was also a review in the Times that confirmed my information.) Anyway I hope the database (and the description of what is in it) will continue to be updated.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

The description of what is online doesn't seem to have been updated: https://rohcollections.org.uk/Performances.aspx so I wonder what is actually online now.

I should have said up to the end of the 2018-9 season seems to be on there, rather than just saying 2019, as the March-June 2019 R&J performances and the triple bill that ended the 2019 season are on there but the October 2019 Mayerling performances & the rest of the 2019-20 season performances are not. On the opera side, I've checked a couple of productions from the end of the 2018-19 season & they're on there but unfortunately I can't remember what opened the 2019-20 season to check if that's not on there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know 'For Four' - part of the Diamond celebration gala? (the contents of which does seem rather strange but there you go.)

I found a bit on youtube and quite look forward to it.

Though I have in the past piously said we shouldn't criticise casting in advance, but just see what  dancers make of things, I admit I do rather wish this was going to be Muntagirov, Ball, Bracewell and Clarke: a four made in heaven that would be.

• Like 3

They both have other works as part of the bill - big ones if a whole new role and work is being premiered for Bracewell with Tanowitz and of course Clarke gets Diamonds, so both are certainly getting the juicy principal opportunities in the bill.

I’ll admit I was a little surprised to see Muntagirov not doing Diamonds with Nunez. All for shaking things up every now and again but I do think he would have been the obvious choice there. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JNC said:

I’ll admit I was a little surprised to see Muntagirov not doing Diamonds with Nunez. All for shaking things up every now and again but I do think he would have been the obvious choice there. 

That's what happens when there is the luxury of so many fine Principals.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2022 at 22:34, Candleque said:

While the harlots don't exist in Shakespeare's R&J, they get to do quite a lot of dancing in the ballet.

Fumi Kaneko, although she wasn’t yet a principal then. In the subsequent run of R&J, which was this season, she danced Juliet. Claire Calvert also performed Rosaline (while unable to dance jumping/turning classical roles such as Myrtha, due to injury) at the beginning of this season, but made a triumphant return as Odette/Odile and one of the Two Swans in May (hurrah!). 

• Like 1

(

On 29/05/2022 at 22:34, Candleque said:

PS Meant to clarify that although Calvert isn’t a principal (yet), she went on to dance a principal ballerina role, ie Odette/Odile. 😄

Having mentioned on the LWFC thread, having seen the Naghdi/Corrales/Kaneko cast, that I can't wait for Kaneko's Larisch, I think this triumvirate would have been brilliant together as the main three roles in Mayerling:  Naghdi as Vetsera, Corrales as Rudolf, Kaneko as Larisch.  Oh well....in my dreams.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Sim said:

Having mentioned on the LWFC thread, having seen the Naghdi/Corrales/Kaneko cast, that I can't wait for Kaneko's Larisch, I think this triumvirate would have been brilliant together as the main three roles in Mayerling:  Naghdi as Vetsera, Corrales as Rudolf, Kaneko as Larisch.  Oh well....in my dreams.

I think Corrales might need a bit more time before he tackles the role of Rudolf.  It involves a lot of very difficult partnering.  Although his partnering skills have improved a lot since he joined the Royal, I don't think he's yet reached the level needed for this role. 

Edited to add that this is just my opinion.  Others might feel differently.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I think Corrales might need a bit more time before he tackles the role of Rudolf.  It involves a lot of very difficult partnering.  Although his partnering skills have improved a lot since he joined the Royal, I don't think he's yet reached the level needed for this role. 

Edited to add that this is just my opinion.  Others might feel differently.

Yes...but as I said, it's in my dreams!  Maybe next time.  :)

• Like 1

Corrales is still young … not many get to have a go at this role before late 20s, most debut in their 30s.  I’d hope Cesar will be shadow cast (or whatever they call it at RB).  I hope William Bracewell is too. 

I think Adam Cooper might be the youngest ever at age 23 (!) at RB.  Matthew Ball was 24 last time around when he was not cast… and then unexpectedly had to learn the role in 2 weeks due to injuries.   No doubt someone else here has longer memories about other young Rudolfs at RB.  

I’m very interested to see what Marci Sambe does with this role… he will be 28.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

Corrales is still young … not many get to have a go at this role before late 20s, most debut in their 30s.  I’d hope Cesar will be shadow cast (or whatever they call it at RB).  I hope William Bracewell is too. 

I think that the term used is 'covering' a role. The names of the dancers doing so are shown in brackets when the casting goes up. Being a cover involves attending all relevant rehearsals as far as other  commitments permit and being ready to step in if required. Matthew Ball's relatively last minute appearance as Rudolf in 2018 is a case in point and, in my view, he 'out-Rudolfed' all the others that year.

• Like 4

Interestingly they seem to have added wheelchair spaces in the GT. Unless this is an error, they are presumably carrying out works during the summer as they certainly weren't there on Saturday.

Wow I’m unsurprised by the Nutcracker prices but it’s disappointing. Do ROH still have some sort of pledge to have (was it 30 or 40%?) of seats under £40 or something like that?

I am surprised by Mayerling - given it didn’t sell well last time at far more reasonable prices I’m not sure what this means for this time. If the regulars are buying up the “cheaper” seats in advance, leaving newbies to only have more expensive seats there will be many who won’t go as they can’t afford it or it is too much of a risk to spend that much on a production they aren’t familiar with. Such a shame as I found myself watching lots of pieces due to primarily affordable prices (around £35 for central mid amphi) and I don’t know if I would have become an ROH regular if not for this…

Pite seems more reasonably priced but if it’s only a two act work then I would have expected that, combined with it not appealing to the “masses” the way a Petipa might. 

Bit concerned about what this might mean for Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty prices, I may be in fact forced to cancel my ROH membership next year to afford 2 tickets instead the following year if this continues! Combined with increased cost of living all round it’s feeling a little bleak. 

• Like 9

I'm not even going to book the Pite work because I loved the original Flight Pattern and I think it should have been left well alone.

And yes - the problem with a season with so many full-lengths is (and I realise this is why they're being programmed) that they're almost all now very expensive. Which makes for a ridiculously expensive season for regulars, or (in my case) a decision to see fewer casts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bridiem said:

I'm not even going to book the Pite work because I loved the original Flight Pattern and I think it should have been left well alone.

And yes - the problem with a season with so many full-lengths is (and I realise this is why they're being programmed) that they're almost all now very expensive. Which makes for a ridiculously expensive season for regulars, or (in my case) a decision to see fewer casts.

I’ve decided to see it in the spring in Oslo…

• Like 1