Royal Ballet Autumn 2022 casting details

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Words really can’t describe how excited I am for Vadim’s Rudolf debut! I feel like I’ve been waiting an age for him to have a really demanding dramatic role. Shame that he only has 1 night! I do wonder at that decision, considering Hirano has 5 nights across 2 casts.

Interesting there are no Vetsera debuts aside from Hayward - I would have love to have seen Fumi cast. But I’m very glad Melissa Hamilton gets to reprise the role - she was electric last time.

Edited by pasdedeux
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to the Sugar Plum Fumi cinema relay 😍

My birthday is 29th Oct, so I'll also be going to see that stellar Mayerling cast with Matthew Ball, Laura Morera and Fumi as Mitzi - very nice! 

Edited by LianneEva
  • Like 1

Muntagirov has two nights it seems to me! 

I might even go to see Mayerling to see him in the role. 
The Matthew Ball cast looks interesting too. 

Lovely to see Leticia Dias and Joe Sissens debuts in Nutcracker in main role. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 5

Thrilled about Muntagirov/Rudolf; surprised but pleased about Sambé/Rudolf; a few other nice débuts throughout the autumn casting.

I do hope that Alexander Campbell will do something in the Diamond programme or the 'new' Pite work; otherwise his only performances in this whole period are two Nutcracker prince pas de deux. That would be a criminal waste of such a talented dancer.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 7

I confess I'm a bit disappointed by some of the Mayerling casting omissions. In particular I was really hoping Bracewell might get a go at Rudolf, especially now he's been promoted, while second on my Rudolf wishlist is Corrales. The Ball/Morera cast is definitely my top pick. Some of the other pairings have one dancer I want to see and one not so much, so I'll have to think about those. I wasn't intending to see Hirano after not being too keen on his Rudolf in 2018 but now I'm going to have to in order to see Hamilton. The Larisch debuts all look appealing.

Very pleased to see Dias & Richardson both getting Nutcracker lead debuts. Though I would have rather liked to see Dias do Clara before getting the SPF. I wonder if this indicates she's in line for another promotion at the end of this season, as a First Artist doing the SPF would surely be fairly unusual? (A pity their single performance has to be in Christmas week though, I usually try to book Nutcracker performances outside the Christmas holidays so there aren't as many children in the audience, & goodness knows what covid will be doing by the end of next December...)

• Like 4

I too am thrilled that Vadim has a chance to do Rudolf at last though slightly disappointed he isn't doing it with Morera as their Month in the Country was really gold standard to me, and I thought she would have been great in encouraging his acting and giving him confidence in a role that is very different to any he's done before.  Also Morera was terrific with Bonelli and I wouldn't be surprised if Vadim doesn't approach it in a similar way to Bonelli, a quieter, more thoughtful approach though none the less valid.

Looking forward to seeing some other casts too, notably Matthew Ball whom I haven't seen, especially as he's with Morera,  Ryio with Melissa Hamilton and Hayward and Sambe who should be terrific. Good also to see so many matinées to cut back on the overnight London stays.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

I too am thrilled that Vadim has a chance to do Rudolf at last though slightly disappointed he isn't doing it with Morera as their Month in the Country was really gold standard to me, and I thought she would have been great in encouraging his acting and giving him confidence in a role that is very different to any he's done before.  Also Morera was terrific with Bonelli and I wouldn't be surprised if Vadim doesn't approach it in a similar way to Bonelli, a quieter, more thoughtful approach though none the less valid.

I agree, I think Vadim with Laura Morera would have been a magnificent pairing. But having said that, I’m just very glad he has been cast, full stop! I think his Rudolf will be a different take on other interpretations and that is no bad thing - it should be interesting to see.

I’m looking forward to seeing Hirano in the cinema as well.

Edited by Balletfanp
Typo
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, alison said:

Disappointed at some of the absences from Rudolf - but at least Hayware finally gets Mary Vetsera.

I only wish it had been with Ball or Bracewell; I can’t really imagine Sambé in the role. 

• Like 3

Extraordinary that the two new male principals and one established one (Campbell) who might do a decent job of Rudolf are denied the opportunity in favour of others, shall we say, far less suited to the role.  That Clarke can celebrate his promotion by acquiring the role of Bay Middleton is also a bit of an insult to be honest.  RB casting continues on its haphazard, ‘let them all have a go’ way, which does the company few favours.  Some casts for Mayerling will have novelty value, admittedly, as square pegs get hammered into distinctly round holes.  Fourteen Sugar Plum Fairies must also be a record…with very tight rehearsal time, one simply wonders how much attention each will receive, but then Nutcracker has recently become ‘pile ‘em high, sell ‘em not at all cheap’ at Covent Garden.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, The Sitter In said:

That Clarke can celebrate his promotion by acquiring the role of Bay Middleton is also a bit of an insult to be honest.

Fourteen Sugar Plum Fairies must also be a record…

Maybe Clarke would prefer to do a smaller role like Bay Middleton than not have anything to do for the first month or more of the season? Kish did the role in 2018 so it's not as if it's unprecedented having a Principal in the role recently. Looking up past casts, I see Hirano did the role too, albeit before he became a Principal.

I'm surprised there are so many more SPFs than Claras. If I've counted correctly there are only 7 Claras, and no role debuts.

Edited by Dawnstar
Added first paragraph.

Whilst I agree that, given Hirano has, I think, five shows, and McRae four, they should have been able to give at least a couple of others a go at Rudolf, I feel it’s unfair to write off others who have been cast having not yet seen them in the role. It wouldn’t be the first time I have wondered about casting, then been very pleasantly surprised by how good a dancer has been in an unexpected role.

And perhaps they have gone for fewer Rudolfs given the complications of rehearsing multiple new dancers in roles new to them - not just Rudolfs, there seem to be a number of debuts scattered around the other roles too.

• Like 3

I’m surprised at the omission of Campbell from the Rudolf roster and would have liked to see him get a look-in - perhaps by shaving the number of performances given to Hirano and McRae. If a female cast can be assembled for the latter, then it should be possible to do so for Campbell as he and Steven are about the same height.

It is not unusual for Principals to wait a while to be cast in that role and Corrales, Bracewell and Clarke will have their opportunity at some point - and delight us all when they do.

• Like 14

I wonder whether Campbell will get the opportunity in the future given he's not getting it this time? Given that, with the recent retirements, he's now one of the older male Principals and, if Mayerling next gets done in 3 seasons' time, he'll be nearly 40 by then.

Looking at past Mayerling casts - the ROH performance database now looks to have got up to 2019! - does anyone know why Nunez danced Countess Larisch in 2009 and 2013 but then reverted to dancing Mitzi Caspar in 2017, 2018 and next season?

I think I will be saving quite a lot of money on the Mayerling tickets. I'm actually very disappointed with the Rudolf casting.  Matthew Ball was brilliant last time round and it will be very interesting to see Vadim, but apart from that, I will focus on any ballerinas  I wish to see.  However,  I disliked one particular portrayal of Rudolf so much last time I saw it, nothing would tempt me again, I'm afraid.  Such a shame, as it's one of my favourite ballets. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I think I will be saving quite a lot of money on the Mayerling tickets. I'm actually very disappointed with the Rudolf casting.  Matthew Ball was brilliant last time round and it will be very interesting to see Vadim, but apart from that, I will focus on any ballerinas  I wish to see.  However,  I disliked one particular portrayal of Rudolf so much last time I saw it, nothing would tempt me again, I'm afraid.  Such a shame, as it's one of my favourite ballets. 

I’m with you on saving money, Jenny. On the basis of past performances, I shall only be seeing two of the Rudolfs once each, purely on account of the ballerinas cast with them. 

• Like 2

I’m intrigued by the lukewarm reaction to Rudolph casting and must have a look at the last couple of Mayerling threads. For my part I’d happily pencil in seeing each cast although that might be because I’m drawn to so many dancing Vetsera, Larisch, Stephanie, and Mitzi. There are a number of debuts I’m very keen to see and I recognise this may be the final opportunity to see Laura Morera’s Vetsera and Larisch - surely unmissable.

• Like 4

Admittedly Mayerling is not my favourite ballet but I think I could have been tempted by casting but it feels an odd mix to me - some Rudolphs I don’t have a preference for with the female roles that do, and vice versa means whilst I wasn’t planning to see any casts anyway I haven’t been tempted at all. I think Bracewell with a cast including some of Kaneko/Hayward/Nunez/Morera would have really tempted me but alas. 

I don’t envy O’Hare trying to cast this one at all - there are a lot of “principal”/named roles and the individual casting is as important as the chemistry/balance between the different dancers. (The latter arguably the same in many ballets but given the vast number of combinations here there is an additional layer of complication!)

as always will look forward to reading reviews but think I’m slightly relieved to be saving my money on this.

I’m also not really tempted by any of the Nutcracker casting but given it has been done so recently this isn’t a surprise. I am disappointed Morera isn’t dancing as I did want to see her in a classical role. It does seem a bit of an “all in” approach with nearly everyone being cast as SPF - pretty much all Principals (bar the one I wanted to see!) and all first soloists (except the underused Hamilton and Menzibal who may still be recovering from maternity leave). To be honest I’m not really sure what I expected but I really hope these long runs don’t become the norm…

• Like 1

Frankly, I'm amazed that the RB has been able to announce quite such detailed levels of casting for Mayerling: I wonder how much of it will end up being accurate.  Surprised to see McRae getting so many performances, but at least he has more or less the same cast throughout.  Hirano, by contrast, has even more performances, but with two virtually completely different casts.  Given that we're told what a difficult role Rudolf is, with all the different pas de deux he has to dance with various women, I'm really surprised to see that.

I'm wondering if Messrs. Clarke and Bracewell will be dancing Hungarian Officers in this run.  I did wonder if getting a little more exposure to the ballet before taking on any larger roles in it might be a consideration.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, alison said:

Frankly, I'm amazed that the RB has been able to announce quite such detailed levels of casting for Mayerling: I wonder how much of it will end up being accurate.  Surprised to see McRae getting so many performances, but at least he has more or less the same cast throughout.  Hirano, by contrast, has even more performances, but with two virtually completely different casts.  Given that we're told what a difficult role Rudolf is, with all the different pas de deux he has to dance with various women, I'm really surprised to see that.

I'm wondering if Messrs. Clarke and Bracewell will be dancing Hungarian Officers in this run.  I did wonder if getting a little more exposure to the ballet before taking on any larger roles in it might be a consideration.

It's possible.

I believe that Bracewell and Clarke danced Hungarian Officers in 2018/2019.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

Frankly, I'm amazed that the RB has been able to announce quite such detailed levels of casting for Mayerling: I wonder how much of it will end up being accurate. 

Yes, especially given how sparse the casting details given usually are for most productions, even when there are very significant roles involved.

• Like 1