Royal Ballet Autumn 2022 casting details

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

This is quite bizarre - albeit great news, I had wondered why Yasmine Naghdi wasn’t originally cast as Mary Vetsera - as I was only thinking recently about her ‘super sub’ reputation from a few years ago. I have no doubt that she will smash her debuts in both roles. 

She is still Mr O’Hare’s go to sub!

• Like 3

On 22/09/2022 at 18:50, MJW said:

Interestingly I have just had an email from ROH offering 25% off seats for La Boheme for Friends so presumably it's not selling well. 

Well worth catching if one has Friends membership for the new British star tenor Freddie Tommaso as Rodolfo, or Peruvian superstar Juan Diego Florez as Rodolfo (in his first London role for ages since the pandemic)!

Perhaps the slow sales might be due  to the very drab production and the odd casting of the female roles - I personally think Lucy Crowe and Aida Garifullina as Mimi and Musetta respectively makes more sense than the other way round, which is what they’ve done, and Musetta is not a great fit for Danielle de Niese compared to her other roles. Simona Mihai actually makes a brilliant Mimi as well as Musetta and I’m surprised she’s not in the first cast.  Maybe it was down to schedule clashes. 

• 5 weeks later...

"We hope you are looking forward to seeing The Nutcracker at the Royal Opera House.

Please be aware that the following cast changes have been made:

TUESDAY 20 DECEMBER, 14:00:

Lauren Cuthbertson is replaced by Fumi Kaneko as the Sugar Plum Fairy

FRIDAY 23 DECEMBER, 19:30:

Lauren Cuthbertson is replaced by Mariko Sasaki as the Sugar Plum Fairy"

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Another Nutcracker cast change on the ROH website today: Romany Pajdak replaced by Madison Bailey as Clara on 7th, 14th, 19th & 24th December. I had noticed that Pajdak hasn't been in any of the Mayerling cast lists so perhaps she's off with an injury? I hadn't booked for any of Pajdak's performances, becase I saw her last year & am trying to see different casts this year, but I'm now wishing I had as I'd really like to see Bailey in a lead role.

Nutcracker-2.png

• Thanks 2

I was very impressed by Madison Bailey in the title role of The Cunning Little Vixen when she was in her final year at the RBS so I've been keeping an eye on her since she joined the company. Having planned only to see 2 Nutcrackers, I'm thinking I might now be in search of returns or Friday rush tickets nearer the time in order to see her, though none of her 4 dates are ideal for me.

51 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I was very impressed by Madison Bailey in the title role of The Cunning Little Vixen when she was in her final year at the RBS so I've been keeping an eye on her since she joined the company. Having planned only to see 2 Nutcrackers, I'm thinking I might now be in search of returns or Friday rush tickets nearer the time in order to see her, though none of her 4 dates are ideal for me.

Oh yes! I'd forgotten that's who she is - I also thought she was excellent.

Madison Bailey also danced the Neapolitan Dance in Swan Lake with Liam Boswell in a few performances this year - they were both fast, musical and had neat footwork. Hope Romany is OK! Madison is a very exciting prospect to watch, and age and height wise will be well matched with Leo Dixon. A fantastic cast! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

In which role?  They're both dancing two, aren't they?  I'm losing track of who's doing what in these partially overlapping casts.

I did hope, when Morera wasn't appearing in the Diamond Celebration, that it didn't mean she was injured or something ...

Oh no. I'm incredibly disappointed not to get to see Morera as Mary Vetsera, as it would probably have been my only opportunity ever. I've already seen both Naghdi's performances this run & I thought she was very good in the role but there'll be years yet to see her whereas probably that's it for Morera in the role. Gutted.

Also O'Sullivan replacing Hinkis as Princess Stephanie, but that's not a surprise after hearing about Hinkis having to pull out of some of the Diamond Celebration performances.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh no. I'm incredibly disappointed not to get to see Morera as Mary Vetsera, as it would probably have been my only opportunity ever. I've already seen both Naghdi's performances this run & I thought she was very good in the role but there'll be years yet to see her whereas probably that's it for Morera in the role. Gutted.

Also O'Sullivan replacing Hinkis as Princess Stephanie, but that's not a surprise after hearing about Hinkis having to pull out of some of the Diamond Celebration performances.

I'm sorry to hear this - I'm so disappointed for you. I was fortunate enough to see Morera at the friends rehearsal and she was amazing, so I understand how upset you must be. I do hope Morera is ok. 

• Like 1

The cast change email from the ROH cites both changes of cast as "due to injury". I've been kicking myself since the announcement of Bonelli's retirement that I didn't see him in Mayerling, now I guess I can add not getting to see Morera either to the kicking list. If only I'd seen both of them back in 2018 but, with a 2018 Hirano/Osipova (should've been Watson) Mayerling being my first live RB performance, I didn't know the company well enough back then. Hindsight is damn annoying!

Noooooooooo ... there appears to have been a wholesale casting change for tonight's Mayerling! :( 

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/40/mayerling-by-kenneth-macmillan/cast-list/51169

That means I've missed James Hay's Bratfisch throughout the entire run :(  And McRae's Rudolf, of course.  And McNally's Empress ...

What on earth has happened?  Has the 29th been changed too?

"We are looking forward to welcoming you to the Royal Opera House to see Mayerling this evening.

We regret that, due to injury, Steven McRae will not be able to perform the role of Crown Prince Rudolf. He will be replaced in the role by Matthew Ball. Given the short notice of this replacement, and also due to dancer sickness, it has been necessary to make a number of other changes to the scheduled casting:

Yasmine Naghdi is replaced by Mayara Magri as Countess Marie Larisch.

Kristen McNally is replaced by Gina Storm-Jensen as Empress Elisabeth.

James Hay is replaced by Taisuke Nakao as Bratfisch.

Thomas Whitehead is replaced by Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød as Colonel ‘Bay’ Middleton."

I hope McRae isn't seriously injured, after everything he's been through previously :( 

Hay is presumably out due to "sickness", as there's no other reason to replace him :(

• Like 1

@alisonsee thread under performances.  

Essentially they’ve changed the whole cast to ‘Matthew Balls team’ except Akane Takada as Mary Vetsera.  As he is stepping in last minute to replace Steven.   He can’t he expected to perform all these pdd with new partners … and Akane deserves her shows.  

Matthew & Akane will be hard pressed to have had more than a couple of hours to rehearse together today.   

best wishes to them all! 

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, alison said:

Pleased to see from his Instagram that McRae has pulled out from an abundance of caution rather than actual injury. 

We don’t really know, do we - except that dancing the role of Rudolf will aggravate even the slightest niggle.

• Like 2