Royal Ballet Autumn 2022 casting details

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no. I'm incredibly disappointed not to get to see Morera as Mary Vetsera, as it would probably have been my only opportunity ever. I've already seen both Naghdi's performances this run & I thought she was very good in the role but there'll be years yet to see her whereas probably that's it for Morera in the role. Gutted.

Also O'Sullivan replacing Hinkis as Princess Stephanie, but that's not a surprise after hearing about Hinkis having to pull out of some of the Diamond Celebration performances.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh no. I'm incredibly disappointed not to get to see Morera as Mary Vetsera, as it would probably have been my only opportunity ever. I've already seen both Naghdi's performances this run & I thought she was very good in the role but there'll be years yet to see her whereas probably that's it for Morera in the role. Gutted.

Also O'Sullivan replacing Hinkis as Princess Stephanie, but that's not a surprise after hearing about Hinkis having to pull out of some of the Diamond Celebration performances.

I'm sorry to hear this - I'm so disappointed for you. I was fortunate enough to see Morera at the friends rehearsal and she was amazing, so I understand how upset you must be. I do hope Morera is ok. 

• Like 1

The cast change email from the ROH cites both changes of cast as "due to injury". I've been kicking myself since the announcement of Bonelli's retirement that I didn't see him in Mayerling, now I guess I can add not getting to see Morera either to the kicking list. If only I'd seen both of them back in 2018 but, with a 2018 Hirano/Osipova (should've been Watson) Mayerling being my first live RB performance, I didn't know the company well enough back then. Hindsight is damn annoying!

Noooooooooo ... there appears to have been a wholesale casting change for tonight's Mayerling! :( 

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/40/mayerling-by-kenneth-macmillan/cast-list/51169

That means I've missed James Hay's Bratfisch throughout the entire run :(  And McRae's Rudolf, of course.  And McNally's Empress ...

What on earth has happened?  Has the 29th been changed too?

"We are looking forward to welcoming you to the Royal Opera House to see Mayerling this evening.

We regret that, due to injury, Steven McRae will not be able to perform the role of Crown Prince Rudolf. He will be replaced in the role by Matthew Ball. Given the short notice of this replacement, and also due to dancer sickness, it has been necessary to make a number of other changes to the scheduled casting:

Yasmine Naghdi is replaced by Mayara Magri as Countess Marie Larisch.

Kristen McNally is replaced by Gina Storm-Jensen as Empress Elisabeth.

James Hay is replaced by Taisuke Nakao as Bratfisch.

Thomas Whitehead is replaced by Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød as Colonel ‘Bay’ Middleton."

I hope McRae isn't seriously injured, after everything he's been through previously :( 

Hay is presumably out due to "sickness", as there's no other reason to replace him :(

• Like 1

@alisonsee thread under performances.  

Essentially they’ve changed the whole cast to ‘Matthew Balls team’ except Akane Takada as Mary Vetsera.  As he is stepping in last minute to replace Steven.   He can’t he expected to perform all these pdd with new partners … and Akane deserves her shows.  

Matthew & Akane will be hard pressed to have had more than a couple of hours to rehearse together today.   

best wishes to them all! 

• Like 8

A friend of mine who doesn’t go that often but loves ballet who was going tonight told me she was a bit worried as the last time she saw Mayerling was the performance McCrae snapped his Achilles and it was very audible and his reaction to it.   It really did affect her. Another friend had booked tonight’s performance for her so she initially had no idea it would be McCrae dancing the role tonight until I told her on Wednesday! I said not to worry he’s already successfully danced the role so am sure he will be fine 🙄
To be honest I think she is secretly relieved that it will now be Ball dancing and not McCrae even though she does like him.  
Anyway glad to see he is taking precautions ….we had been discussing his amazing recovery and how difficult the psychological side of recovering from injury must be especially when things happen mid performance. 
I hope he will be fully fit to dance Nutcracker as I expect his children would love to see him in that. 

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

A friend of mine who doesn’t go that often but loves ballet who was going tonight told me she was a bit worried as the last time she saw Mayerling was the performance McCrae snapped his Achilles and it was very audible and his reaction to it.   It really did affect her. Another friend had booked tonight’s performance for her so she initially had no idea it would be McCrae dancing the role tonight until I told her on Wednesday! I said not to worry he’s already successfully danced the role so am sure he will be fine 🙄
To be honest I think she is secretly relieved that it will now be Ball dancing and not McCrae even though she does like him.  
Anyway glad to see he is taking precautions ….we had been discussing his amazing recovery and how difficult the psychological side of recovering from injury must be especially when things happen mid performance. 
I hope he will be fully fit to dance Nutcracker as I expect his children would love to see him in that. 

Steven snapped his achilles in Manon, I think.

• Like 3

Oh maybe I don’t know …she seemed to think it was Mayerling hence the angst at seeing him perform in it again! 
I was joking with her earlier that Steven must have known she was coming and decided not to risk it lol! 
Anyway I’m sure she will be very impressed with Balls performance tonight instead.

30 minutes ago, alison said:

It was definitely Manon: I was there :(

It must have been so terrible for him - and Akane Takada as well, I believe she was his partner?

He's achieved so much since then, being able to overcome such a terrible injury. I admire him hugely, and hope to see him back soon.

• Like 6