Royal Ballet Autumn 2022 casting details

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I’ve seen on Marcelino Sambe’s Instagram he’s put up revised casting dates - he’s now dancing 24th and 30th November. 

I am not sure how different that is to the original plan as I haven’t booked any tickets but it may be worth a double check if you booked for Sambe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JNC said:

I’ve seen on Marcelino Sambe’s Instagram he’s put up revised casting dates - he’s now dancing 24th and 30th November. 

I am not sure how different that is to the original plan as I haven’t booked any tickets but it may be worth a double check if you booked for Sambe. 

His original story said 26th and 30th....but also stated '*revised dates' then too

1 hour ago, MaddieRose said:

Paul Kay has also been taken off the website cast listings for the role of Bratfisch. It now reads TBA. 

He is starting a new job at the Royal Ballet School this month so probably will not dance much (if at all) in the future.  

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

I believe these were his original dates so no change that I’m aware of.

I hope I didn’t inadvertently alarm anyone then! Yes because of the wording of “revised dates” assumed there had been a change. 

• Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 21:13, JNC said:

I hope I didn’t inadvertently alarm anyone then! Yes because of the wording of “revised dates” assumed there had been a change. 

There was a bit of a mess at the outset with, IIRC correctly, three versions of the dates/casting in circulation before things finally settled. The dates which Marci has now posted are correct.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Who will be "cast" as the new Royal Patron?

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, where Charles recently became patron, probably plans to hang on to him. His mother was also patron of the Royal Opera House and the Royal Ballet, dating back to the granting of a royal charter in 1956, and it will be hard for the King to fill all these roles.

Scramble for new royal figureheads begins among Britain’s arts organisations | King Charles III | The Guardian

33 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

Given his mother’s love for the ballet - she so often just used to come in to performances as I’m sure we all recall - I wonder if the Prince or maybe Princess of Wales will take the Royal Ballet companies? There would be a synergy there

I don't think I've ever seen them at ROH, whereas the new King and Queen are not an unfamiliar sight to regulars at Royal Ballet performances.

• Like 3

I think I saw Charles and Camilla last year (perhaps the Balanchine and Robbins bill?) leaving the car in Bow Street and walking in via the main entrance. It was refreshing to see them turn up so “normally” though I doubt they went so far to mingle in the floral hall! Probably wouldn’t enter this way now he is King I presume, but hope they still are able to attend!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Suffolkgal said:

Given his mother’s love for the ballet - she so often just used to come in to performances as I’m sure we all recall - I wonder if the Prince or maybe Princess of Wales will take the Royal Ballet companies? There would be a synergy there

I remember seeing a picture of the Princess of Wales (or Duchess of Cambridge as she was then) in 2019 at a rehearsal of the Two Pigeons  with Vadim Muntagirov and Lauren Cuthbertson.  Not sure whether they are regulars at the ROH though.

10 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

HMTK is already the President of the Royal Ballet so it would make sense (to me, at least) for him to progress to be Patron.  Given her very keen interest and frequent attendance, I’d be very happy (if that were to happen) for the current Vice-President, The Lady Sarah Chatto, to become President.

Lady Sarah was obviously, like me, introduced to ballet at a young age by her mother. I think she'd be a very appropriate, interested and involved President (PS UK health minister please note no Oxford comma 🤭).

• Like 3

On 18/09/2022 at 20:42, Mary said:

I have often seen the King slip into the theatre after lights down. It is encouraging to know that he really is interested in the arts.

You must have good eyesight,  I never see anything after the lights go down.  But then, my eyes are usually glued to the stage. 

10 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I wonder if that will mean another Mary Vetsera debut or if one of the already cast dancers will double up?

As she was dancing with Muntagirov (his debut) I would think he'd be paired with someone experienced.  Would like to see him with Morera or Lamb 

37 minutes ago, capybara said:

Quite a big ask for her given that she’s also dancing Larische in another cast.

(In English - 21st Oct and 11th Nov.)

And having to learn both roles in the space of a month....two totally different roles psychologically and dramatically.   So that makes her the only Principal to be making a double debut in the space of two weeks.  A huge undertaking but clearly Kevin O'Hare trusts her to do it, otherwise he wouldn't have asked her. I am looking forward to seeing her in both roles.

There are other cast changes indicated on the ROH website; could some kind person please tell me what they are?  I haven't written down the original full casts so can't remember them!  Many thanks in advance...  :)

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Sim said:

And having to learn both roles in the space of a month....two totally different roles psychologically and dramatically.   So that makes her the only Principal to be making a double debut in the space of two weeks.  A huge undertaking but clearly Kevin O'Hare trusts her to do it, otherwise he wouldn't have asked her. I am looking forward to seeing her in both roles.

There are other cast changes indicated on the ROH website; could some kind person please tell me what they are?  I haven't written down the original full casts so can't remember them!  Many thanks in advance...  :)

@sim if you click on the + icon on the right hand side of the summary cast, the page expands to give the full details. e.g 

5 OCTOBER 2022

WEDNESDAY, 7.30PM
MAIN STAGE

GUIDANCE: Suitable for ages 14+

Conducted by Koen Kessels
CAST
CAST CHANGE
Ryoichi Hirano, Natalia Osipova, Laura Morera, Itziar Mendizabal, Francesca Hayward

becomes:

5 OCTOBER 2022

WEDNESDAY, 7.30PM
MAIN STAGE

CAST
CAST CHANGE

7 OCTOBER 2022

FRIDAY, 7.30PM
MAIN STAGE

CAST
CAST CHANGE

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Quite a big ask for her given that she’s also dancing Larische in another cast.

(In English - 21st Oct and 11th Nov.)

Sorry

4 hours ago, oncnp said:

Yasmine Naghdi will be taking Cuthbertson's spot on 10/21 and 11/11

Damn. Meaning, damn there goes my budget. I may have to buy another £ticket for Mayerling (not my fave ballet) as this is a big debut for Yasmine — an amazing dancer in most any role. Since her Juliet, I think I have seen every major role debut. And am always impressed 😍  

PS: With huge respect to the incredibly talented Vadim Muntagirov, am wishing Yasmine was cast with her often partner Matty Ball. Better combo imo. 

• Like 6