Balcony £99 £91 £83 £64 £48 £21 £9
Grand Tier Boxes £105 £99 £83 £48
Grand Tier £105
Stalls Circle £105 £99 £91 £83 £64 £48 £37 £21 £9
Stalls Circle Far Sides £37 £28 £15 £9
Stalls £105 £99 £91 £83

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Exactly my reaction @Richard LH! Especially as there's no longer any package booking & no sign of any replacement for it.

Does anyont know what "Stalls Circle Far Sides" refers to? I can only think of the two blocks of seats over the orchestra pit but are these really going to be available for every ballet? In recent years the only times I can think that they've been used have been for Mozart operas with small orchestras.

The devil may yet be in the detail, but the lower end prices don't seem at first glance to have risen as much in percentage terms as the most expensive. This is after several years where the cheap seats went up disproportionately steeply - I wonder if they've decided they've exhausted the possibilities there, especially as the rear amphi tickets generally shift the slowest for ballet.

Guest oncnp
19 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Autumn pricing just announced - top price for Nutcracker will be £150, Mayerling £135, New Pite £105, Diamond Celebration £155.

That's pretty sporty.

Could you please post the link....'Can't find this anywhere. Thanks!

On 30/04/2022 at 15:54, bridiem said:

I see the Pite evening is described here as 'Pite Mixed'; does that imply that there will indeed be another work and not just the extended Flight Pattern? 

I was wondering the same thing.  

I see the Pite evening is described here as 'Pite Mixed'; does that imply that there will indeed be another work and not just the extended Flight Pattern? 

I would hope so as Górecki’s Symphony No. 3 is less than 55 minutes long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lynette H said:

In the latest ROH Friends magazine the running time is given as 1 hour and 30 mins.

So there clearly is another work involved, though none of the pre-publicity has mentioned this.

Either that, or there is another piece of music added.  I had formed the impression that the 1 Hour 30 running time was without an interval, though rather frustratingly, I can't put my hand on a reference to that now. 

• Like 1

In the new Friends magazine there is no mention of a mixed bill either in the annual programme or in the article about her. If the programme does just feature the extended Flight Pattern it's going to be a rather short evening as I think the music only lasts for about 50/55 minutes. The Dream and Two Pigeons both last at least 45 minutes but have been staged as part of a double or triple bill.

4 minutes ago, Naomi M said:

The new Pite work is a co-production with Norwegian National Ballet, and it does seem that it is a full-length single work in 3 acts there.

https://operaen.no/en/Productions/crystal-pite-ballet-oslo-operahouse/  

Doesn't explain how music lasting c 55 mins can produce a 3-act work with the evening lasting 3 hours - ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

Apologies if this is a duplicate. The Stage is reporting that ROH is adding age ratings to its productions. Oliver Mears is quoted but may apply to ballet as well, Mayerling at least. 

Ratings are being introduced on some shows this year and will be featured consistently in production information from next season, which begins in September.

Royal Opera House to add age ratings to its shows (thestage.co.uk)

(Sorry, very off topic!)

It wasn't an age rating, but they did send an email yesterday about the forthcoming production that Samson and Delilah: "Act II will feature flashing lights and contain acts of violence."

Clearly the flashing lights merit a warning in some form, but I worry about over-egging "acts of violence" warnings: we had similar for Theodora back in February and it turned out to be a great deal less shocking than some of the things most opera buffs will not have been warned about in the past. If we're not careful - and it may be that this S&D is indeed very gory! - when something truly nasty comes along we'll have learned to disregard such warnings.

• Like 2

On 20/05/2022 at 09:29, Lizbie1 said:

(Sorry, very off topic!)

It wasn't an age rating, but they did send an email yesterday about the forthcoming production that Samson and Delilah: "Act II will feature flashing lights and contain acts of violence."

Clearly the flashing lights merit a warning in some form, but I worry about over-egging "acts of violence" warnings: we had similar for Theodora back in February and it turned out to be a great deal less shocking than some of the things most opera buffs will not have been warned about in the past. If we're not careful - and it may be that this S&D is indeed very gory! - when something truly nasty comes along we'll have learned to disregard such warnings.

I think the trigger warning was necessary - but extremely worth attending regardless! Just coming back from Samson et Dalila now, and I'm still speechless at the incredibly moving, powerful performances of SeokJong Baek and Elina Garanca, as well as the rest of the cast and chorus. Wow - I almost wish it could have been longer. The orchestra was super as well.

On 26/05/2022 at 22:18, art_enthusiast said:

I think the trigger warning was necessary - but extremely worth attending regardless! 

I was at the matinee today. Did I miss something at extreme stage right (anyone who's thinking of booking, buy a house right ticket!)? All I could see was some brandishing of knives and some tomato ketchup. Was that what the warning was for? If so I'm confused! It's not that I revel in gore (too many directors have used it far too liberally and lazily IMO) but most regulars will hardly have batted an eyelid. Or maybe the idea is to prepare newcomers who've come to expect warnings?

Edited by Lizbie1
If so for if not

The ROH Twitter feed has just posted that today is Ninette de Valois' birthday - born 1898 so next year will be the 125th anniversary of her birth.

It seems a shame that there has been no mention of marking this, though the Sleeping Beauty scheduled for the day itself could I suppose be badged as a tribute? If so, it would have been better to revive one of her own ballets rather than one of her productions - though we can still hope for something in Autumn 2023, I suppose.

• Like 1

Bluebird has posted on the website discussion thread that (as confirmed by the ROH) two of the Mayerling performance dates in the original list were incorrect. Mayerling is not being performed on 22nd Nov evening or 26th Nov matinée - the correct dates are 21st Nov evening and 24th November evening:

Saturday 12 November at 12.30pm Monday 21 November at 7.30pm Ryoichi Hirano, Melissa Hamilton, Itziar Mendizabal, tba, Yuhui Choe, Claire Calvert, Paul Kay, Christopher Saunders, Gary Avis

Thursday 24 November, Wednesday 30 November at 7.30pm Marcelino Sambé*, Francesca Hayward*, Sarah Lamb, Annette Buvoli*, Isabella Gasparini*, Mayara Magri, Taisuke Nakao*, Gary Avis, Nicol Edmonds*

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
Guest oncnp

An additional Insight...

INSIGHTS: IN CONVERSATION WITH LAURA MORERA
9 FEBRUARY 2023
Join principal dancer Laura Morera for a fascinating Insight into her expansive career.

Having had a REALLY close look at next season I realise - forgive me if others had already mentioned this - that the season ends with a ballerina on a bed rotating round the stage. Is Anastasia act 3 the most bizarre and depressing ending to a season ever? Do we remember the uplifting endings of previous seasons with ballets such as Symphony in C etc…..

• Like 3