Royal Ballet Announces 2022/23 Season

Guest oncnp

Guest oncnp

Cinderella IS coming to the ball... 

This Season, The Royal Ballet offers a diverse range of classic and contemporary choreography, showcasing the artistry and virtuosity of its acclaimed dancers and emerging talent. Eight world premieres – including a new work by Olivier Award-winning choreographer Crystal Pite; a piece by New York-based choreographer Pam Tanowitz, set to music by Grammy-nominated composer Anna Clyne; a new production by Royal Ballet Resident Choreographer Wayne McGregor, featuring designs by the late Carmen Herrera; and his Dark Crystal: Odyssey – join beloved works from the Company’s heritage. Kenneth MacMillan’s Mayerling is revived at the start of the Season, marking the 30th anniversary of the choreographer’s death. And the genius of Royal Ballet founding choreographer Frederick Ashton is celebrated with a new production of Cinderella, 75 years after its premiere with Moira Shearer and Michael Somes, now completely redesigned by a world-class creative team that includes set designer Tom Pye, Oscar-winning costume designer Alexandra Byrne and lighting designer David Finn.

In November, to mark 60 years of the Friends of the Royal Opera House, a stunning roster of Principals perform in The Royal Ballet: A Diamond Celebration – an evening that comprises three world premieres, George Balanchine’s Diamonds, and the Company’s first performance of For Four by Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon. Other revivals across the Season include Marius Petipa’s The Sleeping Beauty, Peter Wright’s enduringly popular The Nutcracker, and Wayne McGregor’s Woolf Works, for which he was awarded the Critics’ Circle National Dance Award for Best Classical Choreography and an Olivier Award for Best New Dance Production.

In December, Ben Duke’s Lost Dog present a world premiere in the Linbury Theatre, co-produced by The Royal Ballet and designed as an alternative for the Christmas Season. Three major UK dance companies, working at the choreographic cutting-edge, showcase work there too. Cassa Pancho’s Ballet Black bring Black Sun and Say It Loud; Carlos Acosta’s acclaimed Acosta Danza share six, short works encompassing classical, contemporary and Cuban influences; and Northern Ballet perform a family-friendly fairytale, Ugly Duckling, and a triple bill by three contemporary choreographers: Dickson Mbi, Stina Quagebeur, and Olivier Award-winner Mthuthuzeli November. In his second year as Royal Ballet Emerging Choreographer, Joseph Toonga creates his first new Main Stage work for the Company, and up-and-coming talent shine in both International Draft Works and Next Generation Festival.

Edited by oncnp

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sleeping Beauty and The Nutcracker - fairly  predictable; Woolf Works will be first time live for me and reasonably welcome;  interested in Diamonds and rest of the Celebration, and in the Cinderella revival ...otherwise not overly excited really...

• Like 2

Guest oncnp

The short form version...Main stage 

·        Mayerling                                                            5 October–30 November 2022

·        New Crystal Pite                                               18 October-–3 November 2022

·        The Royal Ballet: A Diamond Celebration        16–19 November 2022

·        The Nutcracker                                                  6 December 2022–14 January 2023

·        The Sleeping Beauty                                         16 January–6 June 2023

·        Woolf Works                                                       1–23 March 2023

·        Cinderella                                                            27 March–3 May 2023

·        New Wayne McGregor / Corybantic Games / Anastasia Act III

9–17 June 2023

Interesting to see Cinderella is a co-production with the National Ballet of Canada, considering the discussion about co-productions elsewhere on the forum. 

I'm excited for Cinderella, but was hoping for more Ashton. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PatC said:

Where are the triple bills!!!!????

The "Diamond Celebration" looks to be one, and maybe some of the  new works are in triples? But no mention of more classical triples ....is this the final line up or will more be announced later?

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, Richard LH said:

The "Diamond Celebration" looks to be one, and maybe some of the  new works are in triples? But no mention of more classical triples ....is this the final line up or will more be announced later?

Diamond Celebration

world premieres by Pam Tanowitz, Joseph Toonga and Valentino Zucchetti plus the Company’s first performance of For Four by Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon and a performance of George Balanchine’s Diamonds.

Very disappointed that Fille isn’t making an appearance next season.  So the only Ashton is Cinderella?  

And the only triple has 1 piece by McGregor ….and Corybantic Games, which I don’t like.  Glad to see Woolf Works back.  It seems that the “new” Pite is Flight Pattern being expanded into a full length piece….

For me, this is a pretty uninspired offering, although I am happy to see Beauty back.  Also very curious to see who the Rudolfs will be in Mayerling.  

• Like 12

This is much more exciting than I dared hope for and seems to offer something for everyone 🙂 After all the hopes for a full length Ashton and in particular Cinderella, those wishes have finally been granted! Mayerling as expected, but also act 3 of Anastasia. Diamonds giving a taste of Balanchine. A very welcome revival of Woolf Works. Sleeping Beauty and Nutcracker covering the big classics. And a few new contemporary works, covering a nice range of choreographers. 

• Like 4

Well I’m very pleased to see the new season’s announcement. I’m hoping we have chance to see Laura Morera in Mayerling and Anastasia (if just Act 3) and will be wishing for many debuts in numerous productions.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Diamond Celebration

world premieres by Pam Tanowitz, Joseph Toonga and Valentino Zucchetti plus the Company’s first performance of For Four by Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon and a performance of George Balanchine’s Diamonds.

There are just 3 performances of this! 

• Thanks 1

Guest oncnp

Booking (Autum).....

View priority booking dates

General: 27 July 2022, 9am
Friends: 5 July 2022, 9am
Young Friends: 5 July 2022, 9am
Friends+: 28 June 2022, 9am
Supporting Friends: 21 June 2022, 9am
Premium 1 Friends: 16 June 2022, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 14 June 2022, 9am

Edited by oncnp

I’ve checked the whole ROH calendar - this is it then. The season of full length works to fill the coffers and the slow demise of varied triple bills. Very disappointed indeed - although happy to see Mayerling and Cinderella back 

• Like 13

Thrilled about Cinderella, though nervous as to what the new production will be like. Happy about Mayerling, Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty. Appalled at the fact that almost all the new works are by contemporary choreographers, and almost nothing from the incredibly rich heritage of one-act works.

• Like 21

As is usual, I think the excitement will build once we have a glimpse of the casting.

I love Wheeldon’s For Four (men) which was made for the Kings of the Dance group and Diamonds.

I wish that Cinderella could have replaced Nutcracker around Christmas but pleased that there will be a new production.

Pleased about Mayerling and Anastasia Act 3 , in which Morera was amazing last time around.

Disappointed at the trend towards the ‘modern’ in the triple bills.

• Like 8

Yaaaay for Mayerling, Cinderella, SB, Diamond Celebration... and a tentative welcome for Woolf Works which I recorded off the telly before I watched my first ballet in 2016 and still haven't watched!

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MaddieRose said:

Interesting to see Cinderella is a co-production with the National Ballet of Canada, considering the discussion about co-productions elsewhere on the forum. 

I'm excited for Cinderella, but was hoping for more Ashton. 

You and me both MaddieRose. Perhaps there will be a mixed/triple bill that hasn't been announced yet. I would have preferred Symphony in C to Diamonds if we're just having one Balanchine though if the programme is entitled Diamonds I suppose it has to be that. I thought it was possibly too soon for Onegin again though I'm still longing to see Vadim in the title role and see so many debuts of dancers promoted since 2020. Like Sim I was hoping for la Fille. Wasn't it 2015 it was last staged? Far too long to go without it though am pleased to see Cinderella though I don't know anything about the new designers. Personally, I was fine with the old designs, especially the coach and ball scene and I hope the new designers have kept the magic and haven't gone all modern and minimalist. I remember when David Bintley was staging BRB's new Cinderella he suggested to his wife he was thinking of a more minimalist design and she said if he did that he must be prepared to encounter angry and disappointed parents and children at the stage door every night so he changed his mind and with great results. I would have liked the Ugly Sisters to be toned down a bit but I suppose that would mean interfering with the choreography itself which doesn't seem to be in the brief. I hope they film it for cinema with Vadim.  I assume this will be staged around Christmas as an alternative to Nutcracker (would have liked to see Coppelia instead of Nutcracker but perhaps next year). Would be great if there was a good triple bill at Christmas, preferably including Patineurs. Mayerling was expected and would love to see Morera and Bonelli filmed but not to be, alas. I wish they'd filmed them before. It was a fabulous performance. I expect they'll film Matthew Ball whom I haven't seen so that will be great given the reviews he got previously. Wonderful that Valentino has a new commission though not sure of the others with it. For me the new season is OK but lacking in excitement. I think the main excitement for me will be the debuts rather than the rep. itself.

Just seen what others have posted about the lack of 'heritage' triple bills and am really disappointed. There are just so many great short ballets that are getting more and more neglected in favour of modern works. Of course every Company needs modern works (I expect it's a requirement of the Arts Council to increase diversity of audience and hopefully attract a younger audience) but not totally at the expense of great works already created and which a young audience has probably never seen. How do we know a younger audience wouldn't enjoy works by Ashton, Cranko, De Valois, Massine if they never get the opportunity to see them? I'm certainly not young but can hardly remember when I last saw a short work by any of these chorographers at the ROH apart from a selected Ashton few.

Edited by jmhopton
add information
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, PatC said:

Where are the triple bills!!!!????

just ONE, right at the end of the season, and not hugely appealing at that 😞

(though I suppose you could count the Diamond Celebration - all 3 shows, including a Saturday double header)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Cinderella IS coming to the ball...

indeed - many, many, many times....

Saying that, I'm glad I was wrong - just hope the revamp in the production serves it well (and thank heavens it is being revamped!)

• Like 1

I have to admit to being a little disappointed as I watched the video quickly and thought I spotted Don Q, and then when I read the article and found it missing I was very disappointed.

Still, I'm happy about Cinderella and Mayerling and Beauty, but just feel a little underwhelmed.

• Like 6

Maybe remembering that we still have a triple bill solely dedicated to Ashton to look forward to this season 🙂 

I guess the smaller number of triple bills is a necessary consequence of the current financial position. But we do have the Diamond celebration in addition to the triple bill at the end of the season, so two mixed programmes which is the same as this year. And the full length Ashton next year. I guess no-one gets everything they want, but it does feel like some comments are being heard. 

Crashing apathy is what I feel about that programme.   Ok, mild interest in seeing new casts in Sleeping Beauty and Mayerling, but oh, how many times have I seen both of them?  Nervous about Cinderella,  does anyone know anything about the designers involved?  As soon as I hear the words "new production" the sheer ghastliness of the giant polka dot and washing up glove costumes of BRB's Les Rendezvous pops into my head, which was the last Ashton I saw "redesigned". 

Not sure exactly what the Diamond celebrations will  consist of, considering it says it contains 3 world premiers.  Other than that, nothing for me there I'm afraid.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 5

my word, there are some long runs for some - filling the coffers I guess. 28 Nuts (plus 3 schools matinees or 'treat' performances), 28 Beauties, 26 Cinders, all at top prices no doubt. I'll have to be really choosy and select only my very favourite casts! 🙂

A little miffed at the usual Autumnal clashes between the Linbury shows and those on the main stage - especially with the new Crystal Pite (which I look forward to) and the Northern Ballet and Ballet Black shows. Decisions will need to be made!

Happy to see Woolf Works return, and do hope the Cinderella production enhances rather than hinders our Cinders.

Disappointed at the lack of triple bills though, can't deny. Overall, think it will be quite a cheap season for me, on ticket expenditure

• Like 4

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Not sure exactly what the Diamond celebrations will actually consist of, considering it says it contains 3 world premiers.  Other than that, nothing for me there I'm afraid.  

includes world premieres by Pam Tanowitz, Joseph Toonga and Valentino Zucchetti plus the Company’s first performance of For Four by Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon and a performance of George Balanchine’s Diamonds.

The Royal Ballet: A Diamond Celebration (roh.org.uk)

Oh, ok, thanks.  I didn't see the link, only the general description saying 3 world premiers along with Diamonds and a 1st performance.  So it is all new stuff apart from Diamonds, yes? Speaking personally, I would have thought something celebrating 60 years of anything should have at least 75% that reflects that history, which in the case of the RB means heritage works.  Maybe with a key piece from each decade?  But obviously I am just an old dinosaur. 

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Nervous about Cinderella,  does anyone know anything about the designers involved?

The costume designer Alexandra Byrne has done a range of films- some of the Marvel superhero films, the Phantom of the Opera film adaptation, and some period pieces like Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet and the latest adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma. She won an Academy Award for one of the Elizabeth films with Cate Blanchett. 

Tom Pye has done set design for a lot of English National Opera productions (Akhnaten, Eugene Onegin, Cosi fan tutte and Aida), alongside costumes and sets for Joffrey Ballet and Australian Ballet's production of Anna Karenina. 

David Finn is perhaps the most familiar with the Royal Ballet, having lit Giselle, Sweet Violets, Symphonic Dances, Scarlett's Swan Lake and Frankenstein. 

It's definitely an accomplished team. What the results will be I have no idea. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Depressing reading indeed.  That Nijinska’s Les Noces is not to be revived in its centenary year and given the company’s history with the work is nothing short of scandalous - does no-one at the RB recognise that the company holds precious works in the history of ballet?  Corybantic Games instead of Symphonic Variations perfectly exemplifies the current state of affairs…The absence of triple bills (the company’s glory) is truly shocking.  We all love Mayerling, but hand on heart, how many Rudolfs of the first water does the company have?  I certainly don’t want people just to ‘have a go’, which seems to be the recent logic behind a lot of casting.   Apart from the return of Cinderella (heaven be praised), this is a stodgy, uninspired and uninspiring season with long runs of works.  If they think Woolf Works will fill the coffers better than a well-crafted pair of triple bills… just wait, not to mention the benefit to the dancers of performing Ashton, MacMillan, Balanchine rather than the appalling ***** ********.  Oh dear, oh dear.

• Like 22